Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Health Care Reform Bill question?  (Read 3559 times)

Offline my3sons

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Health Care Reform Bill question?
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:25:45 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline David Day

• View Profile
Re: Health Care Reform Bill question?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »
We don't have all of the details yet, however I don't believe so.  I don't believe occupation is a factor.

That said, I would recommend contacting Sen. McCaskill since she is a supporter of the legislation, I would assume she knows the details.

Dave
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline my3sons

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:09 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply!

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:40:11 AM »
When I heard this, about insurance for your children until age 26, I thought to myself, oh great another crutch for kids not to get out of the house and GROW UP!!   Students are a different story.  But at 26, you should be done with school, that's 8 years after high school graduation. I suppose there are exceptions, like if your child has a disability, but if you have a relatively healthy 26 year old and they still have to be covered by your insurance policy, that seems pretty lame.  I know someone is going to say, these are hard times and they can't find a job to get coverage for themselves.  Didn't they just pass a law so everyone can get medical treatment, why do they have to be still covered under their parents policy if the new health system is so great.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:04:19 AM »
When I heard this, about insurance for your children until age 26, I thought to myself, oh great another crutch for kids not to get out of the house and GROW UP!!   Students are a different story.  But at 26, you should be done with school, that's 8 years after high school graduation. I suppose there are exceptions, like if your child has a disability, but if you have a relatively healthy 26 year old and they still have to be covered by your insurance policy, that seems pretty lame.  I know someone is going to say, these are hard times and they can't find a job to get coverage for themselves.  Didn't they just pass a law so everyone can get medical treatment, why do they have to be still covered under their parents policy if the new health system is so great.

Doesn't it take 8 years to get a doctorate?

Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:47:34 AM »

Doesn't it take 8 years to get a doctorate?
Some of us it takes 11 yrs........ Oh my ::)
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »
i graduated 10 years ago.. some of the people I graduated with just finished college fairly recently..  some are still at it..

what about part time students who can't afford to not work, but mostly likely dont recieve insurance from their employer?

it may seem "lame" to you, but the situation others find themselves in is probably not similar to yours.. maybe to them it is just how their cards played out. there are a multitude of reasons why a relatively healthy 18-26 yr old wouldn't have insurance or even be in college.  if you gave those reasons more thought rather than project your personal perspective on to the actions and situations of others you might see that...

incomplete logic only gives the illusion of being correct...

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:22:27 AM »
I have voiced my concerns over this legislaiton numerous times on here and other places, along with things that I think would help fix some of our problems.  In my opinion, the good does not outweigh the bad.  That said, I didn't have a vote on it, I contacted my federal elected officials, and my point of view lost.  Now my job as an elected official at the state level is to figure out how we as a state pay for what is being pushed on us, and we will...but I have no doubt that some, maybe many, won't like how it is done.  Those decisions will probably be made next legislative session.  Financial decisions are never easy, especially at the state level since we must balance our budget.

All of that being said, there are parts of the bill that are good.  I was yelling for changes in insurance long before most of you knew me, back during my days as a member of a Board of Directors on an insurance company here in Missouri.  This change, allowing kids to stay on a parents policy is not a bad thing just as other portions are not bad.  In this situation, if you don't want them on the policy, just remove them.

As far as folks that have questions about the bill, I would recommend contacting a federal elected official that supported it, I would assume they know the bill better than anyone else.  You can find our federal elected officials contact information on my site at www.StateRepDay.com, then click on "District Directory", then "Federal Elected Officials".

Back to budget week for me, have a good one all.

Dave

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »
Dave

Question;  Is state spending included in the federal deficit?
                Will healthcare bill add about $500,000,000 to state spending per year?

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »
State spending is not included in the federal deficit numbers, those are all dollars they have spent.  At the state level we must balance our budget even when that means the Governor must withhold funds from departments as he has recently done.

The last numbers we had, the healthcare bill will add somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 billion dollars to the state budget.  That is for Missouri, each state is different depending on the number of Medicaid users they have.  This will be the largest expansion of Medicaid that I believe Missouri has ever seen.

Because we must balance our budget, the only way to pay this and balance the budget is to cut programs by that amount and move those dollars to Medicaid or raise taxes.  Without the economy growing those are the only two options.

We know with the economy as it is, along with the cuts this year there will be more next year, that is not counting this new expense to the state.  Again, we don't have the final numbers...those will take a while to get, but they will cost Missouri taxpayers at the state level.

Dave

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
So if Mo is typical and we use the low estimate of 1/2 Billion then the total for all states would be $25 billion or $250 bill over 10 years.  Therefore, if  state spending were included, the overall cost of the bill would be over a Trillion and the deficit reduction in the first 10 years would evaporate.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:08:50 PM »
Some states are less than 1/2 billion, some are much more like New York.  I can only speak to Missouri's numbers but what you are saying is what several Governor's are saying, some of both parties.

Request:  As this discussion goes forward, and knowing how passionate both sides are about the issue, I respectfully ask that folks (not directed at anyone) keep the more "lively" debate on this issue to other threads.  There are many kids that read my threads and I try to keep them respectful.  Thanks to everyone for their help on that.

Back to budget week all.

Dave

Offline my3sons

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
For the record, my son is a full time student, but was wanting to know the exact details in this area of the bill. :)

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »
For kids in school, it will be helpful if the parents want to use it.  Like I said, to make certain though check with a federal elected person...but I am sure I am right on this one.

Take care,
Dave

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »
i graduated 10 years ago.. some of the people I graduated with just finished college fairly recently..  some are still at it..

what about part time students who can't afford to not work, but mostly likely dont recieve insurance from their employer?  may seem "lame" to you, but the situation others find themselves in is probably not similar to yours.. maybe to them it is just how their cards played out. there are a multitude of reasons why a relatively healthy 18-26 yr old wouldn't have insurance or even be in college.  if you gave those reasons more thought rather than project your personal perspective on to the actions and situations of others you might see that...

incomplete logic only gives the illusion of being correct...

But you didn't answer my question about the new health care bill.  Why would anyone have to be covered under their parents insurance when they can get free health care from the "wonderful" newly passed health care bill.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »
But you didn't answer my question about the new health care bill.  Why would anyone have to be covered under their parents insurance when they can get free health care from the "wonderful" newly passed health care bill.

I didn't answer your question because I don't know the answer, this is a federal bill, not a state one.  The expert as I have mentioned would be Senator McCaskill...she voted for it so she probably knows more than most about it.  I don't work on federal bills.

Take care all,
Dave

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 01:54:09 AM »
Dave, sorry I was talking to Freethinker.  He is the one who was referencing my previous post.  Sorry, should have been more clear.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:15 AM »
No problem, I probably should have read it closer.

Take care all,
Dave

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »

This bill isn't providing health care for everyone, it is attempting to make everyone get health insurance. The government will give vouchers to small business and poor people to help pay for insurance. The reason they are raising the age to 26 to stay on the parents plan is to save money on the vouchers. If the 25 year old is on his parents plan, he doesn't need government assistance. This saves the government money, and saving money is good for the economy.

As for it being a crutch for children not to get out of the house, it is the opposite of that. It is a crutch to help children get out of the house. The 25 year old doesn't have to live in his parent's house to remain under the health care plan. They could move to the city and try to work their way into a good job. Health care might not be in their budget for a few years after college.

Changing the age to 26 to remain on parents health care plan is a good thing all around. Be happy.
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 02:28:37 AM »
also check with someone that knows taxes(not h&r) if you contribute to your kids education and they are under21(I think), you may be able to claim some expenses. My daughter is older than 21 so I couldn't claim books, or a place for her  to live. we all need to find legal ways to keep more of our money,now more than ever!!

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
I guess I'm of the very old school and I just think when a child is out of high school if they aren't going to college they should start taking care of themselves.  When I graduated from high school and started working, I stayed at home until I got married but I had to pay my mom and dad to stay there.  It was not a free ride.  That is what is wrong with young people today, most, notice I did not say all, but, most of them expect someone to take care of them from birth till death.  As I said, I'm of the old school way of thinking and I'm sure most of you will disagree with me but that's OK.

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »
I plan on keeping my girls in college all the way through graduate school if that's their goal.  My 12 year old wants to be a pharmacist.  She's always been a straight "A" student: "we'll see there".  My 17 year old wants to be a physical therapist.  She hovers in the "B" range, but carries a full load of challenging courses along with ROTC.  She's mentioned a Air Force career which is great but I definitely want her to have that degree "or any degree" before jumping into the real world.  I don't have a degree and feel it's my responsibility to ensure my children do.  Our world has become so much more global and competitive in recent decades.  That wasn't my experience in the early years.  Even our military has become more technologically advanced since my retirement.  Grunts are now using high speed gadgets, vehicles, and weapon systems, most of which I've never seen or would have imagined being invented.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
I think that is wonderful, your girls have a goal and you are helping them achieve it.  I think I said, if they don't go to college.  Congratulations on raising girls that do not feel like the world owes them anything, they are fighting for what they want.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »
I guess I'm of the very old school and I just think when a child is out of high school if they aren't going to college they should start taking care of themselves.  When I graduated from high school and started working, I stayed at home until I got married but I had to pay my mom and dad to stay there.  It was not a free ride.  That is what is wrong with young people today, most, notice I did not say all, but, most of them expect someone to take care of them from birth till death.  As I said, I'm of the old school way of thinking and I'm sure most of you will disagree with me but that's OK.

I agree 100%, and I've told my kids that for as long as I can remember.  They know when they graduate HS they're not living in my basement & eating my food anymore.  It may seem harsh to some, but I was raised a little different than most.  I had a full time job at 14 working more hours per week than most adults do now.  I grew up quick and learned the value of a dollar while many of my peers were still getting gas money from their parents.  I'm not saying that my family hasn't helped me over the years, because they have.  However, it's never expected and it's never a hand-out.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
I kept a sign in my house that said Hotel Taz... Checkout Time 18
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine