Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Shot a helpless fawn???!!!!  (Read 40087 times)

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
Re: Shot a helpless fawn???!!!!
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2010, 02:52:59 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I posted this on my Facebook account in response to similar comments over there. It's worth repeating: "Caution: We've heard from the credit union personnel and from the conservation agent. We don't yet know the side of the police in detail. Following investigation, the reasons for police officer actions sometimes become much clearer."
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2010, 03:59:01 AM »
Some interesting things I found:

In general, if a fawn has been found and a doe has not, the fawn is not an orphan. Mothers will leave their fawns all day to feed. They will not return while a human is in the area. This tactic allows the fawn to understand how to function alone. If you watch the fawn for 48 hours and the mother has not returned once, you probably have an orphan. The following steps will guide you through taking care of the orphan.

Read more: How to Care for a Baby Deer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2123650_care-baby-deer.html#ixzz0qhZfXRlm

It's not unusual to find a deer fawn or an elk calf in the woods—or even in town—this time of the year.
If you find a deer fawn or an elk calf, the best thing to do is keep your distance and leave the animal right where you found it.

"We receive calls every year from people who found an 'abandoned' baby bird or mammal and would like us to take care of it," says Ron Stewart, regional conservation outreach manager for the Division of Wildlife Resources.

"While we appreciate and share the caller's concern, the best thing to do with a baby deer or elk is to leave it right where you found it."

http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/09-06/baby_deer.php

The best way to make sure that a fawn that appears to be alone is orphaned is to wait and check it periodically.  Before taking any action, remember the following:

If the fawn is not injured, the mother is likely nearby.

Leave the fawn alone and its mother will probably come and get it. Deer can take better care of their young than a human can.

Human scent on the fawn will not prevent the mother from taking care of it.

If you do not see any deer nearby, have someone watch the fawn without being seen by the mother. In most cases, the mother will come back and get the fawn after you leave the area.

If you believe the mother has not returned to a nest or a deer has not come back to feed her fawn, or you know that the mother is no longer alive, call a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

http://www.pendleton-gazette.com/news/rescueinjuredwildanimal.html

This is the time of year when lots of calls come in about what to do with young wild animals. Many people think a fawn laying in the grass is alone and abandoned, when the truth is that the doe is nearby but keeping the fawn safe by staying out of sight much of the day.

http://blogs.mdc.mo.gov/blog/?p=345

So, you’ve found a baby deer…

Determine if it needs to be rescued:

* If it is lying quietly and unbothered by flies, it is fine. Moms leave their babies in one spot while they graze for the day.
    * If you see flies and the baby is not moving to get them off, something is wrong and it may need care.
    * Deer keep their spots until they get their winter coat. The fawn can be 4 months old, 45 lb and still have spots.

Always bring it to a rehabilitator if:

* It has been injured, hit by car, or attacked by a dog and there are numerous flies and mom is nowhere to be found.
    * If you know for a fact that mom was killed (fawn was standing beside a dead adult next to the road).

Leave it alone if:

* It is lying quietly and there are no flies. They will not run from you; mom tells them to stay put until she returns.

If you have to bring it to a rehabilitator:

* Place in a size appropriate kennel lined with a towel. Keep warm.
    * NOTE: Deer fawn can only be rehabilitated by a licensed deer rehabilitator for the County it is found in!
    * Autumn Winds Rehab can only take deer/fawns from Pulaski County.

http://www.awwr.net/foundanimals.html
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2010, 04:14:42 AM »
Thanks What_the,  I hope this becomes required reading for the WPD and other law enforcement people.  The mom may have come back that night and gotten her baby.  We will never know, thanks WPD.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline twinsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
I think this needs to be posted in the WPD where it can be viewed easily because I doubt if they even read their training manuals. I'd be suprised if they even have manuals.
My question is.....If a citizen would have shot the fawn I bet WPD would've arrested them, so why is nothing being done to this so-called Police Officer? Is she above the law? At least suspension until an investigation is done.
You can bet Mr. Mayor will not be receiving my vote come election time, if nothing is done about this!!
I'm jus sayin........

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »
I e-mailed the Mayor last week and do you think I received a response, hell no. Typical crap from the Local Yocals.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
Good article Darrell

Offline twinsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »
One more thing. I hope this officer never gets called out to my house for any reason. She might think I look sick and need to be put out of my misery, even if my family members are telling her otherwise!!! %%$%$$#

Offline JuneBug67

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
I am glad to see there are so many animal lovers here.  I would expect to see the donations flooding in for the new animal shelter that will be a no kill shelter.  I don't see any of you out to lynch the owners of the many abused and neglected animals that can be found fairly easy throughout the county.  If you are going to be an animal lover put your money where your mouth is. 

There is NEVER a right way to do the wrong thing!

Offline Waynesvillian

• ^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
Im just gonna say it again, for all you people who are advocating what the officer did, I hope your pets run away and the WPD finds them before you do.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
I think we who live and work in the Ozarks for the most part respect nature and accept that we are the "keepers" of this nature and the animals who share our natural areas with us.   Deer and other wildlife are constantly being "lost in the suburbs" due to the woods being cleared for more housing developments.  The very least we can do is perserve their lives and help them when we can.  This was a perfect opportunity for the WPD to show some community spirit and pride in their department.  Guess a trigger happy cop blew that away (pun) didn't they?  It will take more than a little effort on their part for me to gain full respect for them again.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2010, 04:31:10 PM »
JuneBug67, though I commend you for soliciting funds for the new animal shelter, your method is lacking in thought.  There are many people here in this county that have taken in animals that were discarded, at no cost to anyone else, but themselves, hence putting their money where their mouths are.  In today's economy, each of these people should be commended for their sacrifices, not shamed into donating to the shelter.  Yes, the shelter needs funds and I sincerely hope they receive the needed funds, but do not think because someone can not donate to the shelter that they are not doing their part to protect/defend our critter friends.
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
I have spoken to city officials and have heard the city will address this. The Chief is now aware if he wasn't.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
My question is this. How many things would I be charged with if I shot a fawn in the face in Waynesville? I am sure I'd be taken away in cuffs.. They would go nuts if I did it at a bank for sure..

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »
My question is this. How many things would I be charged with if I shot a fawn in the face in Waynesville? I am sure I'd be taken away in cuffs.. They would go nuts if I did it at a bank for sure..
Not to mention you may have been sued by those that suffered emotional damages from witnessing such a thing........

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »

Some seem to be above the law.  Only the subjects, I mean citizens are subject to law.  Of course, many here don't know the difference between a citizen and the police.  The police can arrest us for misdemeanors.  Any of us can effect an arrest for a felony.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2010, 06:00:26 PM »
I am not animal lover.  I have no problem with animals being but down for a reason and by proper means. I do not like the way this was handled. If animal control was able to rope it why was there a need to shoot it? She fired a weapon twice at close range (bad Shot or buck fever) to kill a fawn when others stated that they would pay to have properly cared for.  It appears it was done in front of people with no concern for their safety (this is a guess on my part).  Like they say, one aww shit will wipe ten attaboys(girls) it is often that one mistake can and has ruined careers. After reading what councilwoman Hardman wrote that she checked into it and by what she has said about it she was lied to. If Police Chief Carter thinks this was handled appropriately then I feel sorry for the citizens and businesses in Waynesville.   So until WPD thinks this worthy of their attention let’s speculate the hell out this then maybe they may say something worth hearing. I still hope PETA comes and makes a big deal out it.
Not picking on you marsnot but if someone tries to make a citizen arrest on me they better have a gun (I bet you would though which is a good thing) If I committed a crime there is no way I would allow a citizen to arrest me for it.  Something to remember - If they are wrong then they can be held liable for making a false accusation. I t is better to call the police and let them come kill the crook for being sick. After all don’t you have to be a little sick in the head to be committing a felony. 

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
wow....I go away for the weekend and this thread took on a life of it's own. Thanks for all of the support. Thanks Darrell for the articles. Even if nothing is done, which is normally the case, the public is aware of what happened. Thanks PCW members!
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
Chas, I am only making the analogy.  I personally would not try to affect a felony arrest.  The fact remains, this officer did commit a crime and will not be held publicly accountable as most of us would be.  Rick is correct.  Any one of us would have been arrested on the spot for discharging the firearm in the city limits when it was not in self defense. 

Offline JuneBug67

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »
To make it clear I am not advocating for money for the shelter, this is just all CRAZY!!!!  I really am not even advocating for the officer. I wasn't there so I will reserve my judgement for that later.  I too have taken in animals that were dumped and I realize many in this community do on a regular basis.  I just feel that as I read all the comments on this topic there is a lynch mob mentality. I  know I will taking a lynching for stating my opinion, but here is another question. Why is there not as much outrage for the conservation agents whose job is to handle such matters who may have prevented this whole situation? To me killing an animal that is not sick or a danger (for the purpose of eating it) is the same and it doesn't make any difference if it is a cat, dog, rabbit, squirrel, take your pick of any animal.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
Junebug, do you eat meat?  I do hunt deer each season.  I do eat it and share the meat with others not as fortunate as myself.  The hunting season acutally cuts down on the disease of the animals. Would you rather see them suffer and die with disease? 

Offline MrsB

• Lurker
  • Its MrsB to you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
True but the law enforcement should've contained the "Baby" deer until someone came along who had the authority to make a decision...I mean really what is a newborn deer gonna do to someone???Difference between Conservation and law enforcement is coming right when needed is... there are just a few conservation agents and how many cops? If conservation could have that many cops they wouldn't have issues going to a call, impatience and ignorance is all this was and overall was totally wrong??

Offline JuneBug67

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »
I eat deer meat and I am not opposed to shotting an animals. 

As to the conservation department. One on my sons is VERY good friends with the son of an agent.  Agents can write tickets just like law enforcement and in fact are law enforcement for nature.

I am just having a problem with how CRAZY everyone is acting over a deer and wonder why the same love and concern isn't given to ALL animals with the same amount of passion?

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2010, 08:09:24 PM »
I eat dear meat and I am not opposed to shotting an animals. 

As to the conservation department. One on my sons is VERY good sons is good friends of an agent.  Agents can write tickets just like law enforcement and in fact are law enforcement for nature.

I am just having a problem with how CRAZY everyone is acting over a deer and wonder why the same love and concern isn't given to ALL animals with the same amount of passion?

apparently you didn't follow the como swat team thread.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
Vanilla Princess posted exactly what happened as she was THERE.  What she and the others witnessed was horrible.  They were trying to take care of the fawn, protecting it, just to have an Officer come and shoot it, NOT once, but twice.  The Officer MISSED the first time (apparently injuring the fawn) then had to shoot again.  You do NOT shoot an animal in the face, you shoot it in the head so that the brain functions stop.  Shooting it because it was "not cooperating" is the LAMEST excuse I have ever heard of.  The fawn is dead, but the story isn't over for all those that witnessed what happened.  THAT is why so many people are upset......

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2010, 08:20:02 PM »
Matrsnot I knew that  I was just playing. I agree with you and Rick.  For JuneBug67 if the cop would of done this to a different animal say a squirrel I would still be just as mad about it. For me it not so much as what was killed but how. The fact it was a fawn does make it worse. This was just plain handled wrong  from the officer deciding the animal was sick when there are eyewitness saying it was not to how and where she shot  it and the conduct of the officer, laughing not cool and very unprofessional and the silence ( whats the cover up for)from the police chief makes it even more of a problem whether he feels it was appropriately or not he should address it he still a public servant ,however most police officers tend to forget that.

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
JuneBug....I would have posted this if it were any animal....not just a fawn. To me it's not JUST that it was a helpless fawn. I am concerned that a weapon was fired within the city limits for the reason it was. In a public place and in front of people. The the officer laughed. An animal was killed out of season. The entire situation is out of hand. Even if it had been a sick dog....I would hope the area would have been "cleared" for safty and for those sensitive to the situation. And to laugh about it....totally unprofessional all the way around. I have an idea who this police officer is and but I am not sure and I would have never thought she would have done something like this....therefore maybe an evaluation is in order....something else going on with her? JMO....

I know for one I called the sheriff's office years ago over a dog that was tied up. I pitbull type dog....it took an act of congress to get someone out there. THEN I was treaded like the bad person....possible a POed neighbor. I didn't even know the neighbor I was calling on, I followed up on this call, something I am sure the officer did not expect and he said the owners had gone out of town and he fed & watered the dog. Apparently he knew them and just assumed I was trying to cause problems.

From my experience I have found conservation agents, highway patrol and water patrol seem to have my more "class" and respect towards civilians than do most city/county police.....why is this?
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »
Honestly if this police officer would have come forward and said they were sorry and they made a mistake, the public wouldn't be so hard on them....but we have heard nothing.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
I call the police everytime I see an animal in distress, either from owner negligence or if it is a stray.  I am very protective of animals of all kinds and I would be just as upset if an officer I called to help an animal, pulled out his gun and shot it.  Now if the animal was attacking people or other animals that is a different story.  No indication that this baby was doing anything but waiting for its momma to come back and get it.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline ♥♥♥Trena♥♥♥

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2010, 08:57:32 PM »
I just heard that KY3 was on there way to the bank to do a story on it.
Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, So love the people who treat you right, Forget the ones who don't, and believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »
Think the WPD will have a "no comment" attitude now?
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...