Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Debate Over a New Pulaski County Jail  (Read 22914 times)

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
Debate Over a New Pulaski County Jail
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I need some help. I need the opinions of the folks who hang out on our local websites about a serious issue.

Today, Sept. 9, 2010, our inmate list hit 94 names. I had to send 10 inmates to the Texas County Jail because Phelps and Miller were BOTH FULL and could not take them.  In the last nine years and up until June of this year we have spent just over three million dollars to house our inmates out of this county. I see this as a serious problem.

I would like to float a serious “trial issue” to our readers. The figures will not be exact but they will not be too far off the mark. What I need are your opinions on this trial issue.

The issue is a proposal to pass a ½ cent sales tax for the purpose of buying land, building and equipping a new jail to federal requirements, somewhere around the 140/160 inmate housing mark, along with a new Justice Center. At the end of a 9 year period (maybe 8 but no more than 10 years) roll the tax back to ¼ cent to maintain and staff and supply the jail.  The ¼ cent level should remain in effect for at least 8-10 years before it might have to be revisited. The proposed ½ cent tax to be quickly enacted (in 2011) so that by the middle of the year 2014 we would be looking at opening a new jail.

As I said a quick and dirty, more or less accurate plan, just as a TRIAL ISSUE TO STIR UP OUR LOCAL DEBATE so I will have some idea of moving forward or backing off.

How about it my fellow tax payers, any comments?

Pulaski County Sheriff J. B. King

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
Re: Debate Over a New Pulaski County Jail
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:39:03 AM »
I am in favor.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 12:47:35 AM »
Push the jobs angle. 

Maybe add a requirement that the money is to be spent locally, so the money isn't going anywhere, its being put into the pockets of local businesses.

After its built, you have the added bonus of having created new permanent jobs.  Push that too.

Maybe throw in the idea that rather than shipping out inmates and paying other counties, you would have the ability to take in overflow from other counties, which would, I assume (I have no real idea), add a few more bucks to the SD's coffers.

"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline 2CardJohnE

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 01:54:31 AM »
YEA
John Wayne said it best, "I may not have voted for him, but he is MY President

Offline twilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:23:39 AM »
Its a good idea.

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:27:56 AM »
My question is, before I weigh in on this debate: Why is the Crawford County Jail(new) struggling financially? What did they do wrong?

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 05:52:14 AM »
Im on board with watever I can do.Pay a higher tax? Paint the jail.......help in whatever way Im in.
Biscuit

Offline HCC

• Wise men argue cases, fools decide them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »
What is the scope and vision of the "Justice Center", and secondly, how will additional deputies on patrol be funded that are sorely needed? Is this another tax proposal waiting in the wings or will this 1/2 cent proposal address that concern?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
What is the scope and vision of the "Justice Center", and secondly, how will additional deputies on patrol be funded that are sorely needed? Is this another tax proposal waiting in the wings or will this 1/2 cent proposal address that concern?

Most likely no to deputies, this is just the jail.
JB

Offline HCC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 01:04:32 PM »
So how will the deputy positions that are sorely needed be funded? A seperate tax as well? I do seem to recall that a sales tax was bantered about to help pay for more deputies, now we're discussing the tax for a Justice Center. Which is priority now, a new Justice Center, or deputies & vehicles on patrol? I feel both are equally important, but which need comes first will be questioned I believe.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »
What is a new Justice Center? Is that a fancy term for Sheriff office? I'm on board for a new jail.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »
What happened to the grant paid for by elimination of outsourcing prisoners and no new tax.  Plus you were going to make $1 million profit.   Now we need $2 million in tax.   That's a $3 million swing.   What happened?

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Excellent suggestions and questions. Waiting to see how these are answered before I weigh in as some of those things were in my mind too.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »
roughly, how much would that tax bring in?

how much would the new facility cost to build?

how much to maintain and staff?

How long of not paying others to house prisoners for the county will take to pay for it?

After completion what would the current jail and sheriffs office be used for?

if we say we are in favor of it do we get a get out of jail free card in case we need it in the future?

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 05:15:16 PM »
I'm game!  I just don't want to see the money diverted elsewhere, as has been the case with tax increases (throughout the U.S) at times.

It's just sad to see that we actually need this..... just a decade or so ago, I never had to worry about locking my house doors, times have changed.   :crying:
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline ♥♥♥Trena♥♥♥

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
I'm for it.
Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, So love the people who treat you right, Forget the ones who don't, and believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 05:43:45 PM »
Would it be a conflict of interest to also ask for private donations toward having a new county jail built?  Bricks could be sold with the donor's name on it.....$50-$100.00 per brick.. Just a thought.
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
JB you really need to think this out. Do not make the mistake the Army use to. They would get the funds for a new barracks and were happy. Then they had to get more funds for the furniture, ect..  Next came the need for a small shopett for the soldiers to use. The Airforce did it different, They put everything together to include sidewalks, once they got the funding it was all done lickity split. I think you need to add more money for deputy's ect and lump it all together. If that fails, then and only then break it down but first go for it all. JMO
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 09:37:51 PM »
So this must be why a Pulaski Co inmate was released at 3am from Miller county jail to walk home to Pulaski Co with a class C felony 2nd degree burglary charge {no bond} still pending & numerous probation violations on Aug 31 2010? I just don't understand. I am all for the new jail, but still have questions.   ???

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
JB you really need to think this out. Do not make the mistake the Army use to. They would get the funds for a new barracks and were happy. Then they had to get more funds for the furniture, ect..  Next came the need for a small shopett for the soldiers to use. The Airforce did it different, They put everything together to include sidewalks, once they got the funding it was all done lickity split. I think you need to add more money for deputy's ect and lump it all together. If that fails, then and only then break it down but first go for it all. JMO

the air force has always had the best housing and the best golf courses!! they must be doing something right.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:56:31 PM »
So this must be why a Pulaski Co inmate was released at 3am from Miller county jail to walk home to Pulaski Co with a class C felony 2nd degree burglary charge {no bond} still pending & numerous probation violations on Aug 31 2010? I just don't understand. I am all for the new jail, but still have questions.   ???

there has to be more to that story....i thought if we were housing prisoners up there, they still had to be brought back here for court...gotta a perpetual screwup grandson that was being held up there on pulaski charge...he was released in the middle of the night, but was transported back to pulaski (in the middle of the night). another inmate loaned him clothes, since his were in pulaski....once he got back to pulaski he was on his on...wearing borrowed clothes and walking several miles to a relative's house to get food and a place to sleep for the night....some things are just wrong.

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »
Unfortunately I am related to this party & he had his wife pick him up several hours later & still wonders why he was released seeing as he had another charge pending. She picked him up in Miller Co. & he had someone elses clothes on too & someones cell phone. I thought that Pulaski Co kept all inmates belongings. He is still free on the streets & on another note I know of a party that stayed in Pulaski Co Jail for 4 months on a driving while revoked with a bond of $10,000 cash before he sent a letter to a judge to reduce his bond & has since had his case dismissed, Go Figure!!! Crime is crime, but really, think about it. ???

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »
Folks our law enforcement are faced with budgets like you and me. No money to house the sumbags let them go. This really sucks. The feds or whatever can give the sheriff money to buy radar equipment but not to keep the scumbags in jail. Now tell me someone has their shit together. Our feds are doing the same thing with illeagles that are locked up. Hell just let them go and the problem at hand is gone. 
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »
I need some help. I need the opinions of the folks who hang out on our local websites about a serious issue.

Today, Sept. 9, 2010, our inmate list hit 94 names. I had to send 10 inmates to the Texas County Jail because Phelps and Miller were BOTH FULL and could not take them.  In the last nine years and up until June of this year we have spent just over three million dollars to house our inmates out of this county. I see this as a serious problem.

It ought to bother our county residents that the Pulaski County jail, despite having a county population comparable to Phelps and Laclede County, houses only a tiny fraction of the number of inmates that can be held in those county's jails. We have a county population of about 50,000 but a jail size that might be adequate for Maries County or Texas County with about one-tenth of our population.

That simply makes no sense, and it has serious consequences.

Look at the daily online state patrol arrest reports. When people are arrested in Pulaski County, unless the crime is **REALLY** serious, they're taken to our local sheriff's department, processed, and released. The reason is simple -- our jail doesn't have room.

We have made a decision in this county -- like it or not -- that our jail is to be used to hold inmates only when they have a no-bond warrant (in which case police and deputies have no choice) or when law enforcement believe the people they have arrested pose such a serious danger that they absolutely cannot be released.

That is not a recent decision. The jail can house only 28 inmates at maximum, but the county almost always has double that number, and sometimes three or even four times that number. And that's been the case for a very long time.

Do we like the decision we made long ago that most people accused of crimes will keep walking the streets pending trial because our jail is too small?

That is the issue.

We need to understand that there is a difference between the role of a state prison and a county jail.  The state prison system primarily exists to house people who have been convicted of serious felony crimes. The primary purpose of a jail is to hold people who are waiting for trial but are considered to be sufficiently dangerous or enough of a flight risk that they need to be kept locked up until their trial. That way, inmates can be kept close for court hearings and related procedural matters. A secondary purpose of a county jail is to hold people for short periods of time if they're drunk drivers, domestic violence perpetrators, or similar offenders who need a few hours or a few days to think about their actions and cool off before going back to drive drunk or beat up their wife/girlfriend/kid. County jails exist for other reasons as well such as shock time, misdemeanors, and housing less serious felony offenders closer to family support to reduce recidivism, but our jail is so overcrowded that those usually aren't even options.

However, by having a jail which can hold only slightly more than two dozen people when the jail count is nearly always at least twice that number, and often far higher, Pulaski County has created a situation in which the inmates are **NOT** nearby for court hearings and related procedural matters. We've not only made a decision to release virtually everybody arrested for a crime, we've also made a decision to spend huge amounts of money and huge amounts of time tranporting inmates back and forth to Rolla or to Tuscumbia, defeating the whole purpose of having inmates locked up close to the courthouse.

There are other options. The Dixon City Jail is small, but they routinely take a few inmates. Paying Dixon to house non-violent inmates in the Dixon City Jail may actually be a good idea, if the jail's security can be guaranteed. That way, Dixon gets to keep its local dispatchers and the city gets enough revenue to have a better police and law enforcement system than it otherwise could afford. The inmates are close enough that they can be brought to court hearings without too much trouble, and they can have family visits and other personal contact without forcing long-distance travel by families. Like it or not, people held in jail are innocent until proven guilty, and they not only have a legal right to family visits, they also are less likely to cause problems if they can look forward to those visits.

Does it make sense for our county that one of its smallest cities has a town marshal and city council which are more progressive, more forward-thinking, and more attuned to the financial realities of the situation than the rest of the county? Dixon has its own financial problems, but their city council and town marshal have figured out a good way to make money to help their city and provide a service to the county that the county cannot or will not pay for.

If the county won't act, perhaps the best solution would be for the Dixon City Council to expand their own jail. Dixon is located fairly close not only to the Pulaski County Courthouse but also the Phelps County Courthouse, and as jail populations continue to expand, this might become a good money-making opportunity for Dixon to support its police department by taking lots of inmates from several different counties that have much more money but nowhere near enough jail space.

Regardless of what Dixon does, the current condition simply cannot continue.

Jail populations elsewhere are also increasing. It will not be that many more years until the Miller County and Phelps County jails have to tell Pulaski County "sorry, no room" more and more often. What happens then? Can Texas County hold all of our overflow inmates? If not, how far will Pulaski County deputies have to drive to transport inmates?

To make matters even worse, the state prison system is overflowing and the state legislature has already cut reimbursements to counties holding people who are eventually convicted on state charges. They are seriously considering closing an entire state prison, which will have the effect of making overcrowding even worse and quite possibly throwing an additional 1,500 or more prison inmates back to the county jails.

Pulaski County cannot handle its inmates as things stand now. What's coming down the road from the state is likely to greatly exacerbate our current problems.

The only people likely to benefit from what's going on now and for the future are those in the city of Dixon. That may help them obtain a reputation as a forward-thinking and progressive small town that uses its jail to support the city budget with out-of-town money much like St. Robert uses Wal-mart to support its city budget with out-of-town shoppers. Don't laugh at the concept of Dixon being a progressive town -- think of St. Robert's reputation a few decades ago. Some of what is going on with Dr. Jerry Plunkett and business development in Dixon would have been unthinkable just a few years ago, and the jail situation provides possibilities as well. Good leaders can make the most of opportunities, even if they have limited resources.

While that's good for Dixon, it's not good for anybody else in Pulaski County. Somebody needs to be thinking about the county's future. Right now the people thinking about Pulaski County's future are the Miller County Commission which is using Pulaski County dollars to pay for their new jail and the Dixon City Council which is using Pulaski County dollars to pay for their dispatchers and police department. That list may soon include Texas County.

When will the list of those who think about Pulaski County's future include Pulaski County?
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline HCC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 01:22:53 PM »
Great analysis Darrell, and very much to the point. Pulaski County does need a new jail, and has needed one for quite some time. However, how is the Sheriff supposed to fund for the additional deputies that are needed to battle the bad guys who will be locked up in the new jail? How will the necessary funding be garnered? Through grants? Lots of luck with that. Through an additional sales tax? Which is more needed at this point more deputies or the new jail.

I honestly believe both are equally important, but which need has priority at this point? How each critical need gets paid for is going to be a very difficult decision to make because JB will be danged if he does and danged if he doesn't?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »
My request for debate has stirred up comments. Plan A, the one I posted was for the “quick” resolution to the problem at a lesser cost but does not handle all the problems as many of you pointed out so here is plan B.

Plan B would be to enact a ½ cent, non-expiring sales tax to do it ALL, REPEAT ALL, build & equip a new jail, act as a LE tax for the Sheriff’s dept. for more man power, cars, etc.  This plan would require the County Commission to continue the majority of the sheriff’s budget at present for the first few years until the incoming new revenue stream was stable and the various yearly payments were set up and a budget in place to handle them. Once the jail & equipment were paid off the vast majority of the current sheriff’s budget would revert back to the commission to be used elsewhere. Out of the current $1.3 million budget for the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department I could see the total drop to say $500K to the sheriff each year and the rest sent back to the commission.

Please do not tell me it cannot be done.  Phelps County already did this with their LE sales tax and now that they have paid off the jail the Phelps County Commission gives the sheriff about $600,000 per year for a budget and that’s it nothing else. The Phelps County Sheriff’s Department lives off the $600K from the commission, their cut of the LE sales tax, and the money they make from the jail.

It can work. 

But it will require a commission willing to work with the sheriff and a smart sheriff to handle the finance issues as the LE priority requires.  The end result a few years into this project would be a paid off jail and a strong modern PCSD with the Commission free to spend roughly $800K or so on other Pulaski County problems.

OK, my fellow tax payers, what say you this time?

JB

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
It ought to bother our county residents that the Pulaski County jail, despite having a county population comparable to Phelps and Laclede County, houses only a tiny fraction of the number of inmates that can be held in those county's jails. We have a county population of about 50,000 but a jail size that might be adequate for Maries County or Texas County with about one-tenth of our population.

That simply makes no sense, and it has serious consequences.

Look at the daily online state patrol arrest reports. When people are arrested in Pulaski County, unless the crime is **REALLY** serious, they're taken to our local sheriff's department, processed, and released. The reason is simple -- our jail doesn't have room.

We have made a decision in this county -- like it or not -- that our jail is to be used to hold inmates only when they have a no-bond warrant (in which case police and deputies have no choice) or when law enforcement believe the people they have arrested pose such a serious danger that they absolutely cannot be released.

That is not a recent decision. The jail can house only 28 inmates at maximum, but the county almost always has double that number, and sometimes three or even four times that number. And that's been the case for a very long time.

Do we like the decision we made long ago that most people accused of crimes will keep walking the streets pending trial because our jail is too small?

That is the issue.

We need to understand that there is a difference between the role of a state prison and a county jail.  The state prison system primarily exists to house people who have been convicted of serious felony crimes. The primary purpose of a jail is to hold people who are waiting for trial but are considered to be sufficiently dangerous or enough of a flight risk that they need to be kept locked up until their trial. That way, inmates can be kept close for court hearings and related procedural matters. A secondary purpose of a county jail is to hold people for short periods of time if they're drunk drivers, domestic violence perpetrators, or similar offenders who need a few hours or a few days to think about their actions and cool off before going back to drive drunk or beat up their wife/girlfriend/kid. County jails exist for other reasons as well such as shock time, misdemeanors, and housing less serious felony offenders closer to family support to reduce recidivism, but our jail is so overcrowded that those usually aren't even options.

However, by having a jail which can hold only slightly more than two dozen people when the jail count is nearly always at least twice that number, and often far higher, Pulaski County has created a situation in which the inmates are **NOT** nearby for court hearings and related procedural matters. We've not only made a decision to release virtually everybody arrested for a crime, we've also made a decision to spend huge amounts of money and huge amounts of time tranporting inmates back and forth to Rolla or to Tuscumbia, defeating the whole purpose of having inmates locked up close to the courthouse.

There are other options. The Dixon City Jail is small, but they routinely take a few inmates. Paying Dixon to house non-violent inmates in the Dixon City Jail may actually be a good idea, if the jail's security can be guaranteed. That way, Dixon gets to keep its local dispatchers and the city gets enough revenue to have a better police and law enforcement system than it otherwise could afford. The inmates are close enough that they can be brought to court hearings without too much trouble, and they can have family visits and other personal contact without forcing long-distance travel by families. Like it or not, people held in jail are innocent until proven guilty, and they not only have a legal right to family visits, they also are less likely to cause problems if they can look forward to those visits.

Does it make sense for our county that one of its smallest cities has a town marshal and city council which are more progressive, more forward-thinking, and more attuned to the financial realities of the situation than the rest of the county? Dixon has its own financial problems, but their city council and town marshal have figured out a good way to make money to help their city and provide a service to the county that the county cannot or will not pay for.

If the county won't act, perhaps the best solution would be for the Dixon City Council to expand their own jail. Dixon is located fairly close not only to the Pulaski County Courthouse but also the Phelps County Courthouse, and as jail populations continue to expand, this might become a good money-making opportunity for Dixon to support its police department by taking lots of inmates from several different counties that have much more money but nowhere near enough jail space.

Regardless of what Dixon does, the current condition simply cannot continue.

Jail populations elsewhere are also increasing. It will not be that many more years until the Miller County and Phelps County jails have to tell Pulaski County "sorry, no room" more and more often. What happens then? Can Texas County hold all of our overflow inmates? If not, how far will Pulaski County deputies have to drive to transport inmates?

To make matters even worse, the state prison system is overflowing and the state legislature has already cut reimbursements to counties holding people who are eventually convicted on state charges. They are seriously considering closing an entire state prison, which will have the effect of making overcrowding even worse and quite possibly throwing an additional 1,500 or more prison inmates back to the county jails.

Pulaski County cannot handle its inmates as things stand now. What's coming down the road from the state is likely to greatly exacerbate our current problems.

The only people likely to benefit from what's going on now and for the future are those in the city of Dixon. That may help them obtain a reputation as a forward-thinking and progressive small town that uses its jail to support the city budget with out-of-town money much like St. Robert uses Wal-mart to support its city budget with out-of-town shoppers. Don't laugh at the concept of Dixon being a progressive town -- think of St. Robert's reputation a few decades ago. Some of what is going on with Dr. Jerry Plunkett and business development in Dixon would have been unthinkable just a few years ago, and the jail situation provides possibilities as well. Good leaders can make the most of opportunities, even if they have limited resources.

While that's good for Dixon, it's not good for anybody else in Pulaski County. Somebody needs to be thinking about the county's future. Right now the people thinking about Pulaski County's future are the Miller County Commission which is using Pulaski County dollars to pay for their new jail and the Dixon City Council which is using Pulaski County dollars to pay for their dispatchers and police department. That list may soon include Texas County.

When will the list of those who think about Pulaski County's future include Pulaski County?
Darrell, 1st & above all I would happily pay my 1/2 cent tax for a new jail of which we need very badly. Heck I would help build it if I could. The Pulaski Co. Jail is a nightmare that needs to be changed. But what I'm wondering is where you got your information that only violent criminals are housed there. Also where did you find out that they only house 24 inmates at a time? They have contraptions they call boats & put 3 inmates per cell, I believe that makes 36 & sometimes more are in the jail. Now I'm not saying that this is a good thing because they have to be put somewhere. Now on the otherhand you also said that Dixon Jail only houses our non-violent offenders. I for one know that this is not true & if you were to check the records of the last year you would find that Pulaski Co Jail has sent violent offenders to Dixon. To me this doesn't matter either as long as they are taken care of as needed {guarded} & I have heard of no escapes from Dixon for sometime. From what I understand the head jailer makes the decision on who goes to Dixon & all other jails.
So now is my other question, who told you that inmates are treated as innocent until proven guilty? Many inmates of Pulaski Co. Jail have waited months to prove their innocence just to end up cutting a "Deal" so they could get out. If you were to spend a week-end there you might think about the "Deal" before spending another night there. Do you believe that if your innocent they are going to give you your money back for bail, job loss, family & home loss. That's not happening & the fact is that in Pulaski Co. Jail you are guilty until proven innocent. Now I do understand that most are guilty & separating the two is impossible, but as you said this is a holding facility & what happens when you are innocent? Maybe JB can answer that one? Something else that may be interesting is how many non-violent offenders have been housed in the last year & how long have they been there or wherever they have been shipped to. I'm talking about driving revoked, non payment of child support, possesion of marijuana ect... Not manufacturing of meth, felony DWI's, sales of illegal drugs & all other violent crimes. Our system needs work & it needs to start with our jail & our courts, but hopefully the next election will take care of half that problem.
Darell, I think your a great reporter & an asset to Pulaski Co., I also believe we all need to get together & get this 1/2 cent tax passed so we can have a jail that houses more than needed & maybe then the innocent won't be scared into making plea deals & the guilty will be sent to where they belong.

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:53 PM »
mikrzy55,

I noticed you wrote, "I'm talking about driving revoked, non payment of child support, possesion of marijuana ect... Not manufacturing of meth, felony DWI's, sales of illegal drugs & all other violent crimes."

what is the difference between someone who is possessing marijuana and someone who is manufacturing meth? I guess the question I have is why is marijuana seen as an "okay" drug when the others are seen as "bad" drugs?
1*

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
JB,

I know you have said it before, but what is the dollar amount for an inmate to stay at another facility per day? Im not talking travel, just the room and board. What is the cost to have that same inmate stay in Pulaski County?
1*

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »
JB,

I know you have said it before, but what is the dollar amount for an inmate to stay at another facility per day? Im not talking travel, just the room and board. What is the cost to have that same inmate stay in Pulaski County?

We are charged $35.00 per day at Phelps, Miller, Texas, and Dixon City. The cost here was very close to the same figure the last time I ran the figures.

JB