Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Debate Over a New Pulaski County Jail  (Read 22946 times)

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
Re: Debate Over a New Pulaski County Jail
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Those are good questions.

I did not mean to imply that the Pulaski County Jail houses only violent inmates.

What I have been told by law enforcement in both Pulaski County and in Dixon is that the Dixon City Jail is supposed to be used only for housing non-violent county inmates. If that is not true, or if it has changed, I would like to be corrected.

My understanding is that the Pulaski County Jail can house a maximum of 28 inmates, and that number can be less because for obvious reasons you can't have women and men in the same cells, and sometimes people must be separated or held in solitary cells for evidentiary or other classification reasons. When more inmates than allowed are there, the problem has to be taken care of ASAP by a prisoner transport, but that may take some time -- hence the mattresses on the floor, etc.

Again, if I am wrong, please correct me.

Darrell, 1st & above all I would happily pay my 1/2 cent tax for a new jail of which we need very badly. Heck I would help build it if I could. The Pulaski Co. Jail is a nightmare that needs to be changed. But what I'm wondering is where you got your information that only violent criminals are housed there. Also where did you find out that they only house 24 inmates at a time? They have contraptions they call boats & put 3 inmates per cell, I believe that makes 36 & sometimes more are in the jail. Now I'm not saying that this is a good thing because they have to be put somewhere. Now on the otherhand you also said that Dixon Jail only houses our non-violent offenders. I for one know that this is not true & if you were to check the records of the last year you would find that Pulaski Co Jail has sent violent offenders to Dixon. To me this doesn't matter either as long as they are taken care of as needed {guarded} & I have heard of no escapes from Dixon for sometime. From what I understand the head jailer makes the decision on who goes to Dixon & all other jails.
So now is my other question, who told you that inmates are treated as innocent until proven guilty? Many inmates of Pulaski Co. Jail have waited months to prove their innocence just to end up cutting a "Deal" so they could get out. If you were to spend a week-end there you might think about the "Deal" before spending another night there. Do you believe that if your innocent they are going to give you your money back for bail, job loss, family & home loss. That's not happening & the fact is that in Pulaski Co. Jail you are guilty until proven innocent. Now I do understand that most are guilty & separating the two is impossible, but as you said this is a holding facility & what happens when you are innocent? Maybe JB can answer that one? Something else that may be interesting is how many non-violent offenders have been housed in the last year & how long have they been there or wherever they have been shipped to. I'm talking about driving revoked, non payment of child support, possesion of marijuana ect... Not manufacturing of meth, felony DWI's, sales of illegal drugs & all other violent crimes. Our system needs work & it needs to start with our jail & our courts, but hopefully the next election will take care of half that problem.
Darell, I think your a great reporter & an asset to Pulaski Co., I also believe we all need to get together & get this 1/2 cent tax passed so we can have a jail that houses more than needed & maybe then the innocent won't be scared into making plea deals & the guilty will be sent to where they belong.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »
Thanks JB

The reason I ask is because I had someone tell me it was like 50-55 to house them in our jail and around 30 in another jail. I just thought if that was right, it would not be cost effective at all to build a new jail. But I must have got misinformed.
1*

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »
Those are good questions.

I did not mean to imply that the Pulaski County Jail houses only violent inmates.

What I have been told by law enforcement in both Pulaski County and in Dixon is that the Dixon City Jail is supposed to be used only for housing non-violent county inmates. If that is not true, or if it has changed, I would like to be corrected.

My understanding is that the Pulaski County Jail can house a maximum of 28 inmates, and that number can be less because for obvious reasons you can't have women and men in the same cells, and sometimes people must be separated or held in solitary cells for evidentiary or other classification reasons. When more inmates than allowed are there, the problem has to be taken care of ASAP by a prisoner transport, but that may take some time -- hence the mattresses on the floor, etc.

Again, if I am wrong, please correct me.

Mostly correct. Last week by court order we sent an inmate to Dixon as part of a court case that we did not want to go there. But not our choice. On law days we house what we are forced to house and that number can get quite high. Hence the "boats" we bought for the floor. We hold a wide variety of crimes at any given time and they are not all violent cases.

JB

Offline HCC

• Wise men argue cases, fools decide them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
I do not believe we have had anyone post any opposition to the need of the jail or deputies, so I do not think anyone needs to get their crappie reel all knotted up (PC terminology). I would hope that any tax be specifically earmarked for LE use only, and not for additional revenues to subsidize the other entities in the County.

An exception to this would to also help fund the Prosecuting Attorney's office for additional staff to litigate more cases and run em up the flag pole. The PC should also be an integral part of funding with the LE tax as well as the jail and PCSD. No sunset clause need. Just keeping the Commissioners fingers out of the pie.

I would stick with one plan and forget about presenting an option B, C, D, etc. Just muddies up the water. Remember, for every 10 questions raised here, there will several hundred of the same questions asked elsewhere. If it is going to be brought before the citizenry, I would start the public PR campaign now in earnest, and have every possible answer to any potential questions asked. No matter how transparent you are and forthcoming, you will have that faction that you can never please.

Lay it all out for the public to see and discuss. Needs, deficiencies,facts, purpose, scope, costs (short-term and long-term), staffing goals, pro's and cons. Wear down the opposition with facts and figures, and what will happen under the current status quo. Get the cities throughout the County on the band wagon, and hit the nay-sayers right where it hurts. With the facts and the truth.

Make the Commissioners ----- or get off the pot, and put them on the spot now. Especially before the General Election in November. Find out the opposing candidates view on the matter and get it stated publicly. No more fence straddling by the holders of the purse strings. Lead, follow, or go home!

Offline mikrzy55

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »
mikrzy55,

I noticed you wrote, "I'm talking about driving revoked, non payment of child support, possesion of marijuana ect... Not manufacturing of meth, felony DWI's, sales of illegal drugs & all other violent crimes."

what is the difference between someone who is possessing marijuana and someone who is manufacturing meth? I guess the question I have is why is marijuana seen as an "okay" drug when the others are seen as "bad" drugs?
Jeff I was talking about violent, versus non-violent & meth users & manufacturers are a violent breed. Ask any officer which they would believe to be most unstable & hands down you will hear meth heads have a tendency of becoming violent. Marijuana users are a more non-violent breed & have rarely heard of a pot head flying off the handle & trying to kill anyone. Most of the time if a pot head were to fly off the handle I would suspect other drugs or alcohol were in use too. Missouri is #1 in meth production again & the labs are very unsafe. The fumes can injure & possibly kill a person & meth heads leave them everywhere. I've yet to hear of someone getting killed from the smell of a marijuana plant or as I have heard them called, indoor labs. So this is the reason I put marijuana users as a non-violent offence. As long as marijuana is illegal they should be arrested just like meth users & manufacturers, but the charge should be lesser as I don't see the same problems with marijuana users as violent criminals as you do with meth users.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 04:45:06 AM »
Some states legalize the use of pot. I have yet to see the use of meth legalized. Think about it for a second. There is a difference.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 05:06:36 AM »
Pete I fully agree
Biscuit

Offline jlh

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 05:07:18 AM »
JB, I may be way off base on this suggestion, but have you thought about the old middle school building? It's already standing and the school board really doesn't know what they are going to do with it. I thought maybe the county could make an offer to the school board. I'm not saying to scratch the tax. I think we still need it, and I would be willing to pay 1/2 cent tax.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »
JB, I may be way off base on this suggestion, but have you thought about the old middle school building? It's already standing and the school board really doesn't know what they are going to do with it. I thought maybe the county could make an offer to the school board. I'm not saying to scratch the tax. I think we still need it, and I would be willing to pay 1/2 cent tax.

Black Mold, Black Mold, Black Mold, Not a good structure to try for. The location is OK just not the building.
JB

Offline I bleed cubbie blue

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »

Black Mold, Black Mold, Black Mold, Not a good structure to try for. The location is OK just not the building.
JB

Black mold.... Sounds to me that would be an incentive to tell people to keep them out of jail.  Lol.  Would it not be cost effective , ie other than building a new jail, to just irradiate the mold and then renovate the building to the specs you need to have a jail that will meet the departments needs. And also the number of beds you mentioned,  is that a number that is there for future growth or will the jail need to be expanded shortly after it's built?

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »
Black mold.... Sounds to me that would be an incentive to tell people to keep them out of jail.  Lol.  Would it not be cost effective , ie other than building a new jail, to just irradiate the mold and then renovate the building to the specs you need to have a jail that will meet the departments needs. And also the number of beds you mentioned,  is that a number that is there for future growth or will the jail need to be expanded shortly after it's built?
It counts on the amount of stachybotrys (black mold) found.  I am an unfortunate victim of stachybotrys, from a house I had in Pa.  Remediation of stachybotrys is not a simple, or easy matter unless it is just a tiny amount that can be "bleached".  Even with that, you run the risk of spores going airborne and finding another damp, cellulose, breeding spot.  With remediation, you have to have a negative air pressure, and contamination suits/respirators.  It can be EXTREMELY costly.  I had to have my lower turbinates surgically removed, thanks to black mold, and am now a walking "mold detector".  It may well be much cheaper to build a new building!
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 10:45:41 PM »
It counts on the amount of stachybotrys (black mold) found.  I am an unfortunate victim of stachybotrys, from a house I had in Pa.  Remediation of stachybotrys is not a simple, or easy matter unless it is just a tiny amount that can be "bleached".  Even with that, you run the risk of spores going airborne and finding another damp, cellulose, breeding spot.  With remediation, you have to have a negative air pressure, and contamination suits/respirators.  It can be EXTREMELY costly.  I had to have my lower turbinates surgically removed, thanks to black mold, and am now a walking "mold detector".  It may well be much cheaper to build a new building!
Awe Jeeezzz Kari... do you have to make such a big deal out of everything___ Black mold___
Is not homo phobic.
WE (Floridians) no how to get rid of black mold cheap.
We hire 20 illegal Mexican and give them 40 gallons of bleach.... No special suits or respirators!! They get free medical so there health in not a problem.
There happy to get the work and if they get sick the Gov. gives them disability, so it is a win / win deal for them :th_gen129:
Damn I'm an EVIL bastage aren't I  :th_thmuwahaha-1: :th_th36_1_15:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline GlennA

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 11:58:37 PM »
I am in for in as long as all contractors to build the Jail are from Pulaski County,  and the contract services after it is built are local contractors.   I am a little tired of Out of County or State contract labor coming in and doing the jobs locals can do.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »
I am in for in as long as all contractors to build the Jail are from Pulaski County,  and the contract services after it is built are local contractors.   I am a little tired of Out of County or State contract labor coming in and doing the jobs locals can do.
I would love to See Bales construction get the job___ and all sub contractor be local as well ***(**&
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline cricket

• me 115 feet up inn the air
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Well just make sure you keep the prioners confined in the black mold maybe it will save tax dollars money in years to come. Maybe then they would think about breaking the law if there living conditons sucked!

Quote from: Valor7 link=to pic=24090.msg234168#msg234168 date=1284641106

JB
Live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 03:52:44 AM »
The people working there, though...
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
Well just make sure you keep the prioners confined in the black mold maybe it will save tax dollars money in years to come. Maybe then they would think about breaking the law if there living conditons sucked!

Unfortunately, those same prisoners would have the right to sue for any injuries as a result of that incarceration.  The Constitution covers inhumane treatment.  I agree, if a person is convicted of a crime, they should not have all the comforts of home, but we also have to be careful not to violate our own laws in housing them.

On another note, I think it's awesome that Valor 7 has this forum to be able to get input from the community, AND took advantage of the opportunity!  Looks like we just may be getting a new jail...... 
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
What happened to the grant paid for by elimination of outsourcing prisoners and no new tax.  Plus you were going to make $1 million profit.   Now we need $2 million in tax.   That's a $3 million swing.   What happened?

Is there an answer in our future???????

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Just because a few  on here, are talking about a new jail in no way should imply we are getting a new jail.  A lot of things have to happen before it will even be considered.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 11:27:18 PM »
Is there an answer in our future???????

Sorry did not see this Q. There never was a grant. The same money that is used each year to pay the inmate board bill was also supposed to be used to pay the jail building bill. I do not think that will work. I do not remember any plan that created a one million surplus for us.

JB

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »
  • By Alan L. Gerstenecker Waynesville Daily Guide Posted May 25, 2010 @ 04:40 PM- — Missouri is, after all, the Show-Me State. So, pardon Pulaski County Commissioners if they’re at least skeptical that a new county jail can be built without a tax increase.
    At Monday’s Pulaski County Commissioner’s meeting, Lawrence T. Goldberg, president of the St. Joseph, Mo., architectural Goldberg, Sullivan & McCrerey told commissioners a new county jail could be designed and built within 18 months without a tax increase.
    “It will take five or six months to design and year to build,” Goldberg told the trio during the second half of their meeting Monday.
    Goldberg, who came with blow-up floor plans, four charts and two assistants the county could build the 78-cell facility for $5.603 million.
    With the aid of figures provided by Sheriff J.B. King and other officials, Goldberg estimated the jail revenues at $1.08 million annually with expenses of $860,605 annually, leaving a budget surplus of $219,600

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 12:39:51 AM »
  • By Alan L. Gerstenecker Waynesville Daily Guide Posted May 25, 2010 @ 04:40 PM- — Missouri is, after all, the Show-Me State. So, pardon Pulaski County Commissioners if they’re at least skeptical that a new county jail can be built without a tax increase.
    At Monday’s Pulaski County Commissioner’s meeting, Lawrence T. Goldberg, president of the St. Joseph, Mo., architectural Goldberg, Sullivan & McCrerey told commissioners a new county jail could be designed and built within 18 months without a tax increase.
    “It will take five or six months to design and year to build,” Goldberg told the trio during the second half of their meeting Monday.
    Goldberg, who came with blow-up floor plans, four charts and two assistants the county could build the 78-cell facility for $5.603 million.
    With the aid of figures provided by Sheriff J.B. King and other officials, Goldberg estimated the jail revenues at $1.08 million annually with expenses of $860,605 annually, leaving a budget surplus of $219,600

okay, but i see nothing about a grant, or 1 mil surplus.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:30 AM »
okay it was a loan not grant and where did the current $700000+ jail budget go

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »
okay it was a loan not grant and where did the current $700000+ jail budget go

2010 jail budget was set at $593,000.00
JB

Offline dalilama

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »
mikrzy55,

I noticed you wrote, "I'm talking about driving revoked, non payment of child support, possesion of marijuana ect... Not manufacturing of meth, felony DWI's, sales of illegal drugs & all other violent crimes."

what is the difference between someone who is possessing marijuana and someone who is manufacturing meth? I guess the question I have is why is marijuana seen as an "okay" drug when the others are seen as "bad" drugs?

How many people/kids have you heard or know of that have overdosed on marijuana...
Meth KILLS...Heroin KILLS...If they don't overdose from it, it takes thier soul. I hear what your asking. I believe Marijuana should be classified as a NON VIOLENT drug...no drug is a good choice. But, let the punishment fit the crime.

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 12:38:01 AM »
How many people/kids have you heard or know of that have overdosed on marijuana...
Meth KILLS...Heroin KILLS...If they don't overdose from it, it takes thier soul. I hear what your asking. I believe Marijuana should be classified as a NON VIOLENT drug...no drug is a good choice. But, let the punishment fit the crime.

How many people/kids have you heard or know of that started out on marijuana and went on to more "violent" drugs? The bad part is the fact that the prescription drugs are the major problem right now. I hope I don't have to eat my words later in life, but people just need to get control of their kids. Put the fear of god into them and quit pussy footing around, thinking my kid would never do that!
1*

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 01:12:49 AM »
because people keep telling them how much money even puny looking plants are worth...
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »
Not likely but Im sure out of a million cases sometimes theres a bad apple. Count the cases of alcohol related violence and crime and compare the results with those solely on marijuana. then talk to me . Im waiting.
Biscuit

Offline dalilama

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
Not likely but Im sure out of a million cases sometimes theres a bad apple. Count the cases of alcohol related violence and crime and compare the results with those solely on marijuana. then talk to me . Im waiting.
Thank you! I couldn't agree more. JMO, but alcolhol is far worse than marijuana.

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
So not sharing the pot they had just bought is what caused the action of severely injuring one, and then the one that was injured shot at the other one.  You can say what you want, but I know what happened.

For not sharing? Sounds like the sober person is the one that started the incident....
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”