Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Debate Over a New Pulaski County Jail  (Read 22905 times)

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
Re: Debate Over a New Pulaski County Jail
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »
Probably the #2 thing wrong with our society, right after "iwant something for nothing attitude that is so prevalent"

Couldn't agree more

1*

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2010, 03:45:51 AM »
Probably the #2 thing wrong with our society, right after "iwant something for nothing attitude that is so prevalent"

You are sure right there!!!

If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
Sober.... alcohol?  Stoned.... pot... So, you are saying that people intoxicated on alcohol, bought marijuana, and ended up in a fight, because it wasn't shared?  Seems to me if that is the case, it was the alcohol, not the marijuana that caused the problem.  I don't know anyone who gets angry/agitated/mean on pot.  Most people just chill out.
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline HCC

• Wise men argue cases, fools decide them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »
And the original purpose of this thread was what again? Debate over the new jail, or debate over who does or does not get jacked up on their favorite intoxicant?

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2010, 05:24:14 AM »
Lol. Its easy on here to get side tracked. I seriously thimk the Sheriff Needs a new Jail. The Money Spent housing criminals either violent or not, Could be Income if we had our own jail.
Biscuit

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
Maybe we can get that TV ahow to build a new jail....MOVE THAT BUS
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline CityKitty

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2010, 07:03:08 AM »
Instead of building a somewhat larger facility that will likely be too small in 10 years, why not build a much larger facility that can accommodate prisoners/inmates from other counties and municipalities now (and generate revenue), and still be large enough *when* Pulaski County becomes a Class A County?  If the facility also meets enhanced ADA standards, it could be a center for special needs prisoners from elsewhere in the state (more revenue)... If a partnership were formed with MODOC, perhaps State female prisoners could be housed here, too (expensive and time-consuming to travel to the two state facilities that house female inmates, whereas males can be housed closer to home (more revenue and alleviation of the extra punishment of female inmate families).  Added bonus for housing lots of "outside" prisoners:  increased business for hotels, restaurants, gas stations, tow companies, etc. in Pulaski County (creating more jobs and increasing tax revenue).

Although I'd support the proposed tiny sales tax, I'd rather have a permanent full one cent tax for the jail so a bigger, better facility can be built and better rehabilitation programs implemented and maintained... ultimately leading to more outside revenue coming in, more professional jobs created, less local crime, and increased restitution to victims.  If the facility ever became self-supporting (including personnel, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades), or profit-making, then the tax could be eliminated.

Is there any way to get stimulus money to build the jail (as proposed or the bigger facility)?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2010, 02:20:28 PM »
Instead of building a somewhat larger facility that will likely be too small in 10 years, why not build a much larger facility that can accommodate prisoners/inmates from other counties and municipalities now (and generate revenue), and still be large enough *when* Pulaski County becomes a Class A County?  If the facility also meets enhanced ADA standards, it could be a center for special needs prisoners from elsewhere in the state (more revenue)... If a partnership were formed with MODOC, perhaps State female prisoners could be housed here, too (expensive and time-consuming to travel to the two state facilities that house female inmates, whereas males can be housed closer to home (more revenue and alleviation of the extra punishment of female inmate families).  Added bonus for housing lots of "outside" prisoners:  increased business for hotels, restaurants, gas stations, tow companies, etc. in Pulaski County (creating more jobs and increasing tax revenue).

Although I'd support the proposed tiny sales tax, I'd rather have a permanent full one cent tax for the jail so a bigger, better facility can be built and better rehabilitation programs implemented and maintained... ultimately leading to more outside revenue coming in, more professional jobs created, less local crime, and increased restitution to victims.  If the facility ever became self-supporting (including personnel, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades), or profit-making, then the tax could be eliminated.

Is there any way to get stimulus money to build the jail (as proposed or the bigger facility)?

I do like the way you think. Bold, decisive, and very long term, PERFECT!!!   Do it right the first time and forget the nickle and dime pinching.

JB

Offline CityKitty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 05:24:37 AM »
Thank you.  I think I hear a penny screaming...

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »

I do like the way you think. Bold, decisive, and very long term, PERFECT!!!   Do it right the first time and forget the nickle and dime pinching.

JB

Example, the current courthouse was built with one elevator instead of two. Saved money at the time but when good old #1 goes out completely (currently out of service at least once a week for most of a day due to prooblems) there are going to be major problems because it is out. Going to take much time and money to replace and service to the second & third floor will be very poor.
JB

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2010, 05:17:41 AM »
Hey we used to walk up five flights of stairs, in the snow, both ways! 
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline CityKitty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2010, 06:11:09 AM »

Can we get a grant (stimulus, NIJ, or?) to replace the elevator?  Can the prisoners do some kind of prison industry to raise the money?  Could PCSD do a car wash (or?) to raise the money?

I would *hate* for a prisoner to have to walk up a few stairs to go to court!   :o   %%$%$$#   ::)

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2010, 04:04:46 AM »
They got money to fix this problem, its just getting the board to approve it I think. I could be wrong but I think there is close to over over a million in the building fund. JB what is the deal with this, its your play ground.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:52 AM »
They got money to fix this problem, its just getting the board to approve it I think. I could be wrong but I think there is close to over over a million in the building fund. JB what is the deal with this, its your play ground.

Roughly $1.92 million in the fund. 10-3 (yes) on the board approval needed.

JB

Offline CityKitty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2010, 05:23:11 AM »
Do you think the board could be convinced repair/replace should be treated as an emergency because of liability and schedule a special meeting and vote?

Offline fumbled

• KC Chiefs Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »
not trying to be the negative on here, but I was in the jail the other day. Walked into the door, and immediatly noticed how filthy the place was. The whole courthouse in General isn't that old of a building, it seriously needs some maint. and a good general deep clean though. Upstairs by the courtrooms, the floor has dirt everywhere, half of the lights didn't work, and the ceiling tiles were blackened. If the county wants a better jail, I would have to be opposed to building a new one until I could see them doing a better job keeping the one they've got clean. As it is now, it is NOT taken care of very well. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but it's simply the truth.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:50 AM »
not trying to be the negative on here, but I was in the jail the other day. Walked into the door, and immediatly noticed how filthy the place was. The whole courthouse in General isn't that old of a building, it seriously needs some maint. and a good general deep clean though. Upstairs by the courtrooms, the floor has dirt everywhere, half of the lights didn't work, and the ceiling tiles were blackened. If the county wants a better jail, I would have to be opposed to building a new one until I could see them doing a better job keeping the one they've got clean. As it is now, it is NOT taken care of very well. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but it's simply the truth.

I've heard similar comments from the commissioners before.

They have a point. The jail is dingy at best and dirty at worst, and the remainder of the sheriff's facilities aren't much better. The comment about "deep cleaning" makes sense.

Two mitigating factors:

1. The jail is the oldest part of the courthouse. In fact, it predates the whole rest of the courthouse, which was built around the pre-existing jail facility.

2. The jail's inmates are not exactly drawn from the portion of the population most likely to keep their own homes clean, most don't want to be there, and a few make a point of deliberately fouling their cells on a regular basis.

Any thoughts from Sheriff King or others on how the Pulaski County Jail compares to other jails of comparable age and staffing levels?
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »
I think we need to build a facility like they have in Arizona, tent city, pink underwear, and green bolgna.
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline fumbled

• KC Chiefs Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
I've heard similar comments from the commissioners before.

They have a point. The jail is dingy at best and dirty at worst, and the remainder of the sheriff's facilities aren't much better. The comment about "deep cleaning" makes sense.

Two mitigating factors:

1. The jail is the oldest part of the courthouse. In fact, it predates the whole rest of the courthouse, which was built around the pre-existing jail facility.

2. The jail's inmates are not exactly drawn from the portion of the population most likely to keep their own homes clean, most don't want to be there, and a few make a point of deliberately fouling their cells on a regular basis.

Any thoughts from Sheriff King or others on how the Pulaski County Jail compares to other jails of comparable age and staffing levels?

Didn't know that the jail was there prior to the building of the new courthouse, however regardless of that, it should still be kept clean. Honestly, when I walked in and was talking to the guy at the window, he couldn't hardly even respond to me for all of the chew that he had in his mouth. Boxes were stacked everywhere in the room (which honestly could be a room issue).  Even though they are inmates that doesn't mean that they should have to reside in filth. JB, I don't know you from Adam, I've seen you around a few times, and honestly you seem like a pretty likeable guy to me, but I've been in Laclede County Jail, and although it is newer and has a LOT more space, it is kept a lot cleaner.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »
so now JB should be the janitor too?
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2010, 03:34:58 AM »

The county ain't got the money to give him the pay raise.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2010, 06:38:03 AM »
If he talked to a person at a window he was at Communications (dispatch) and not the jail. When I worked there, the County couldn't even get us tiles to replace the ones that were missing in the ceiling to bring it up to fire code.  We tried cleaning the dirty ones....wouldn't clean....tried painting them....no improvement. 

If it is still the same work conditions, it is hard to clean when dispatch staff is short handed and the volume of work is heavy.  When I worked midnights I would sweep and mop our office if I had the time and I know the others did the same.   We had to do it ourselves because the inmates cant enter communications and you were lucky to have the County janitorial staff come through and empty trash like they do in the rest of the courthouse let alone take care of a floor.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2010, 12:56:27 PM »
Since this comes down to not being able to afford extra personnel to clean this place daily, the sherriffs are too short handed resonding to issues around the county, then it would appear that volenteers would be needed to clean the jail. How many people here who don't like how it looks are willing to volenteer to go and clean the jail?
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline fumbled

• KC Chiefs Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »

Who said that? He should take the responsibility to make sure that his jail is clean though. Like I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating an observation.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »

Who said that? He should take the responsibility to make sure that his jail is clean though. Like I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating an observation.

Jail has been cleaned many times and cells repainted during my watch. Sinks etc redone two years ago. Plywood celing no longer in jail. All lights are now wire covered for security and new skylights over head. That said the jail was built way back when, I do not know when, but I do know it was given a big make over in 1976.

In short the old girl needs alot of makeup to hide the marks of time. We might get the courthouse janitorial staff in our side of the building for a few minutes every other week. When I got to work this morning the jail staff all had mops at work.

This county seems to have very high expectations for services rendered but extremely low responsibility for providing resources.

JB   (my real name)

Offline fumbled

• KC Chiefs Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »

Jail has been cleaned many times and cells repainted during my watch. Sinks etc redone two years ago. Plywood celing no longer in jail. All lights are now wire covered for security and new skylights over head. That said the jail was built way back when, I do not know when, but I do know it was given a big make over in 1976.

In short the old girl needs alot of makeup to hide the marks of time. We might get the courthouse janitorial staff in our side of the building for a few minutes every other week. When I got to work this morning the jail staff all had mops at work.

This county seems to have very high expectations for services rendered but extremely low responsibility for providing resources.

JB   (my real name)

Thanks for responding JB, I was aware that the jail was older than the court house, but didn't realize how much older. It is a shame that the we as citizens can't afford to pay your janitors to clean the ENITRE place. Maybe something that should be taken up with the County Commission. But thanks for responding.

James Beaver (my real name)

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2010, 11:58:06 PM »

Thanks for responding JB, I was aware that the jail was older than the court house, but didn't realize how much older. It is a shame that the we as citizens can't afford to pay your janitors to clean the ENITRE place. Maybe something that should be taken up with the County Commission. But thanks for responding.

Hah! you should have seen the jail before this one.....
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »

Sheriff's Dept. does not have a janitorial staff. We are supposed to be kept clean by the courthouse J staff under the direction of the Presiding Commissioner.

JB

Offline CityKitty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »

Sheriff's Dept. does not have a janitorial staff. We are supposed to be kept clean by the courthouse J staff under the direction of the Presiding Commissioner.

JB

You do mean the facilities (communications, jail, etc.), and not the personnel (deputies, jailers, Sheriff, etc.)...right?  :o