Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: From the House... Setting the Stage for a Productive Session  (Read 681 times)

Offline David Day

• View Profile
From the House... Setting the Stage for a Productive Session
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

This week's From the House... can be seen at http://staterepday.com/Documents/From%20the%20House%2012-4-10.pdf

Dave

--------------------------------------

Setting the Stage for a Productive Session

There’s not a day that goes by when we don’t see on the evening news the endless fighting between political parties in our nation’s capital.  I can’t count the number of people that have made comments to me about how they wish the folks in Washington cared as much about people as they do politics.

Last week something historical happened in our state’s capitol, actually a couple of things.  Our Speaker-Elect, Steve Tilley (R-Perryville) announced the committee chairmen for the upcoming session.  This is in itself historical because of the timing.  Normally these assignments are not made until sometime mid-January meaning that committees can’t start working until near the end of the first month of session.  Because of this early move, we will hit the ground running the first week of session.  However, that is not what grabbed the headlines.

Something else happened that I was proud to see, especially with the activities in Washington that we see each night on the news.  For those that don’t know, the Speaker of the House appoints all of the Committee Chairs which are always of the majority party, no matter which party is in the majority.  In recent years our republican leadership has allowed democrats to chair the Urban Issues Committee.  This year however three of the committees will be chaired by democrats, one of the Appropriations Committees, the Urban Issues Committee, and the Committee on Corrections.  These are very important committees and during the press conference, it was easy to see the shocked look of the faces by many in the media when it was announced.

I appreciate Speaker Tilley’s response when asked why he would give this much power to the minority party, especially when we have such a large majority.  His response was “I’ve always believed that the person is more important than the party.  I think it’s important to choose people who are best qualified for the position, regardless of the party.”

Republicans have a historic 106 member majority in the Missouri House, this is of the 163 seats.  It would be easy to push our agenda through without regard to the minority party, frankly we have the votes to do what we want without them.  However, just because we can do it…doesn’t make it the right thing to do.

I have always been proud to be a republican, however anyone that knows me knows I have said hundreds of times “neither side of the aisle has all of the saints or all of the sinners”.  My point is simple, there are good ideas and good people on both sides of the political aisle and I have always been willing to work with anyone that was interested in working together.  Some of my dearest friends in the capitol are people that I don’t necessarily agree with very much, but I know they are good people that have the best intentions for Missourians in their hearts.

Speaker Tilley, another person I am proud to call a friend, has always shown that same attitude and this week he put his beliefs into action…leaving some in a state of shock it appears from what I have been reading in the news today.

I look forward to working with all of my fellow chairmen and members as we tackle some serious issues the State of Missouri is facing.  I also appreciate our next Speaker’s willingness to put the best individuals for a job in the right positions, regardless of the politics of the day.  Now, the stage has been set for a productive session in the Missouri House, a session where working together, to include working across the aisle we can find the best ideas and solutions for Missouri, not the best political moves for a party.

Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay