Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Drug testing for welfare folks  (Read 11685 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Drug testing for welfare folks
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Missouri House leaders are considering a bill that would require drug testing for people who receive cash welfare payments. What do you think about this?

It is about time..

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
Re: Drug testing for welfare folks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
It is about time

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »
I mentioned it in this week's article for anyone interested: http://staterepday.com/Documents/From%20the%20House%201-14-11.pdf

Dave
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
I totally agree with this.  I am sure the only people that will complain are the ones that have something to worry about.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
Now to get food stamps/EDT included !

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
Now to get food stamps/EDT included !

I agree!
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
Most of the druggies are still selling food stamps for drugs~ What I don't get is why some of them still get a check without looking for work, and get 8 or 900 a month in food stamps, a check and a medical card~ would you want to work?

Offline stevem174

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »
I am sure the ACLU will throw a hissy fit about this! I have been under mandatory random drug testing polices since 1985. I think its a really good idea.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:29 AM »
About time!  I'm sure they will find a way to beat it though!
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 02:26:50 AM »
they needed to start doing this a long time ago.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:50:52 AM »
true

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Kathy...I couldn't agree more...should have been done long ago.

We have passed it out of the House for the last 3 or 4 years but it always died in the Senate.  This year we are very hopeful that the Senate will act on it...finally.  There are good signs that they will this time.

Dave

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
What about people on welfare that spend what little money they have on alcohol?
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »
This only deals with illegal drugs.  I don't think you would be able to regulate legal items that are bought, but many would like both alcohol and tobacco included.  Just doing this on drugs that are illegal has been an uphill battle.

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
Will the tests be urine tests (easily defeatable) or hair tests (much much harder to defeat)?

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »
What I see wrong with this bill is this. Casual pot smokers that occasionally has a friend show up with a joint OR if you have a hurt back and borrow a legal prescribed pill from a friend to ease the pain or various things of that nature. NOT drug heads or crack heads or selling stamps ,just ordinary folk losing their help because they test dirty for one of those reasons. I just dont see it passing IN MY OPINION. I vote NO
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
I dont think there is a gray area.  Illegal is illegal no matter how it is defined.  call it "casual" "occasional" or whateven...it is illegal cut and dry.
What I see wrong with this bill is this. Casual pot smokers that occasionally has a friend show up with a joint OR if you have a hurt back and borrow a legal prescribed pill from a friend to ease the pain or various things of that nature. NOT drug heads or crack heads or selling stamps ,just ordinary folk losing their help because they test dirty for one of those reasons. I just dont see it passing IN MY OPINION. I vote NO

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
The Department will decide on what test to use, however the thought we hare heard from them is using the cheap tests that they can do in-house and if a positive comes back, then they will do the more expensive and better test, send it off to the labs to make sure the positive was correct.

However, the rules will have to be written...that is just the early thoughts on it.

We were going to debat it on the floor this week but that has been moved to next week.  I will post on my Facebook when that debate starts (if I can remember) and for those interested you can listen to it though my website.

Dave

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
Dixonbob
what do you mean losing their help - it is a way of life and the rest of us have to go out and work every day to pay for this way of life.  they use and abuse the 911 system (call for an ambulance because their tummy hurts)
paid 100 % by welfare, get more money everytime they have another baby (do you think that money goes for the child) this system stinks and these people need to be knocked off welfare and made to get out and work like the rest of us have to.  Oh can't work they have children - so did I but I had to work everyday to support my children.  Change the system and Mr. Day it sounds like you have your foot in the door on this.

Offline SC Susie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 02:17:26 AM »

Too easy Bob. If a friend comes over with a joint and you want to retain your benefits, you ask your friend to leave. Taking a prescribed medication (narcotic) that was not prescribed to you - is illegal.

I would guess those in pain go to the doctor and get their own script for medication or physical therapy. And pick other friends to hang out with until medicinal marijuana is legalized -
Who kept the faith and fought the fight;
The glory theirs, the duty ours.
~Wallace Bruce

Offline twilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 03:15:26 AM »
I agree with this. I think they need to do drug testing on people whom get unemployment as well. We have people who have been on unemployment for years. I know it is hard to find work but if you look everyday, I am sure you could find something if only part time. Test these people and watch just how many fail.

Offline stevem174

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 03:30:50 AM »

Bob, I have a very simple view on this. They need to take personal responsibility. If your job / paycheck were dependent on you passing random drug test and you smoked or allowed friends to smoke pot around you, then you would have to make a choice. Which is more important to YOU? Pot or paycheck. There are certain jobs that have a higher expectations than others. A Police Officer is held to a higher personal standard than lets say a garbage man. Since we the people are paying for welfare, we should be able to demand that certain criteria are met.
In other words if I come and live at your house and don't pay you rent, you feed me, shelter me, provide me with clothing. I would expect you to have certain rules in your house and I damn well better play by those rules or you will take all of those things away from me and it will be my fault.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 05:18:45 AM »
I am one of them folks taking scrips for pain. Guess what, they test me often to make sure 1. I am taking my scrips. 2. That's all I am taking. They do check for pot and everything else. Whats wrong with checking someone receiving out tax money? I have sat in the same area as folks that smoked pot and it didn't bother my test. I did not smoke the shit though. I don't think you test positive unless you partake so to say. If you can't buy your own food and pay your bills stay off the booze and drugs. Cut and dry!
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »
What is the cost? A lot of people on here seem to think that everyone that gets welfare is some kind of slacker. There are people that do work but get food stamps or other assistance. Maybe there should be a limit on who get tested. If you do not work at all and haven't for years then test those people. But people that work and are just getting some  help to get by, leave alone. Why treat people like criminals? People getting unemployment should be left alone. Maybe the program itself should be restructured.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
What is the cost? A lot of people on here seem to think that everyone that gets welfare is some kind of slacker. There are people that do work but get food stamps or other assistance. Maybe there should be a limit on who get tested. If you do not work at all and haven't for years then test those people. But people that work and are just getting some  help to get by, leave alone. Why treat people like criminals? People getting unemployment should be left alone. Maybe the program itself should be restructured.

It only applies to the program called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).  It is worth saying that this "temporary" assistance program is one that folks can be on for up to 5 years.  The cost according to the fiscal note is about 2 million, but I have no doubt that is a long way from the actual cost.  The fiscal note is assuming almost everyone that is on TANF will be tested, not true at all.  It is also not taking into account the savings if someone is removed from the program because of drug use OR the fact that someone cleans up their act and is actually able to get a job and be off of the program.  It is also assuming a cost per test MUCH higher than officials have told us they can be done for.  I know the fiscal note is being re-worked Monday morning.

Who is tested?  It has to be someone "suspected" of using illegal drugs.  While this will please some and upset others, I am betting that for social services to decide someone is "suspected" of use will be a pretty high standard to reach because they won't want to be accused of "going after" someone.  However, for example, it will give a tool to do testing when someone is arrested for drug use (that would lead you to suspect them of it), and other obvious situations like that where they don't have the ability to do so now.  There are also well known drug users on assistance (we all know some), they may also be good candidates for testing.

I look for the bill to be debated on Monday, possibly Tuesday on the House Floor.  Monday we start session at 4:00pm, Tuesday we start at 10:00am.  You can listen in by going to www.staterepday.com and clicking on the "Live Debate" icon on the right-side of the homepage.

Hope this info helps a little.

Dave

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »
Chas, I don't understand your argument.  If I needed state assistance, in any form, and worked for a living, I would gladly be tested for drugs to continue my assistance.  Just because you work does not mean you don't use illegal drugs and if you can afford to buy the illegal drugs then you don't need state assistance.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
wouldnt it be easier and cheaper just to legalize pot? Test for crack,meth,heroin,etc,etc. Id be tickled to death to see that kind of crap dissapear. The ones using that need to lose their help.
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »
no, the ones using that NEED help losing their addiction.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline demo.dave

• Im a veteran of the unspeakable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
How about a rehab for those who get state assistance and also have a drug problem? They are already getting tax money to help them live...plus have an addiction problem. Why not get them help and get them back on their feet instead of just cutting them off? Make them contribute to society. If they got off drugs, they would probably be a lot more steady and on their feet to go out and make somethin of their lives.

My only worry is that they have a drug problem and now they wont have any money. What do you think they are gonna start doing? Stealing anything they can get their hands on in order to survive and pay for their drug habbit. Thats why i think getting them help would be the best solution.

Yeah it will cost us tax dollars to pay for their rehab. Know what else costs us tax dollars? Their jail time. Why not be more productive with that money. Get people off drugs and off state aid. Thats my .02

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »
What are the statistics on the long term success of rehab?  I'm sure it is very costly to send someone to rehab, they will be sober for a month or two to get their state assistance approved again, then right back on the drug.

I have nothing against people smoking marijuana and the argument for making it legal is a good one but, if you are on state assistance and using what money you do have to purchase marijuana, then you need to lose that assistance.