Author Topic: PCSD- Drug Arrest  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
PCSD- Drug Arrest
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

News Release
Drug Arrest
Pulaski County Sheriff J. B. King
January 18, 2010

On December 5, 2010, deputies from the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office set up a drug checkpoint on I-44 near the Missouri Route 7 overpass. The Pulaski County deputies were assisted by deputies from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office and the Camden County Sheriff’s Office.

Shortly after the operation started the deputies attention was drawn to a white vehicle with out of state license plates that ran the stop sign at the exit ramp from I-44. While they were following the vehicle the deputies observed that the vehicle plates were expired. A traffic stop was initiated on the vehicle. While speaking with the vehicle driver the deputies began to suspect that he was transporting a load of controlled substances. The Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office drug dog responded to the scene and immediately alerted to the trunk of the vehicle. A search of the trunk revealed 117 pounds of marijuana in small bales.

Agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) out of Springfield, Missouri, responded to assist and after an interview with the suspect the DEA decided to attempt a controlled delivery of the drugs to their out of state destination. A Pulaski County reserve deputy who had developed a rapport with the suspect accompanied the DEA agents on the trip.

The delivery attempt in the Ft. Wayne, Indiana, area was successful and the DEA agents there, assisted by other local police forces, executed two search warrants on suspects in that city. All of the drugs were recovered, two arrests were made, and approximately $73,000 in cash was seized from the suspects. This case has been completely turned over to the DEA and all charges filed in this case will be federal charges.

Quote from Sheriff King; “I would like to thank the Pulaski County reserve deputies for their hard work on this case. This is just another example of the work that they do at no cost to the citizens of Pulaski County. I would also like to thank the DEA agents from Springfield for their prompt response to our investigation request. Working together we have completed another successful counter drug investigation. As a result of this operation a ring of drug conspirators in the Ft. Wayne area has been destroyed.

I would like to make certain that everyone understands that as the Sheriff of Pulaski County I delayed the release of this case information to the public until the DEA advised me that all parts of their operation were finished. I saw no advantage to be gained by the premature release of this information while the DEA agents were actively working on this case.”

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
Re: PCSD- Drug Arrest
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »
DRUG CHECKPOINT AHEAD BE PREPARED TO STOP.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline debhake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Good job!

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:42:35 AM »
Does this mean there could be some seizure money funneling in shortly?
If anybody knows MAYNARDS given name please PM me with it.  I will not tell who tells me!

Michael Sheek

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
Does this mean there could be some seizure money funneling in shortly?

Yes, but not shortly, 12  to 18 months or later.

JB

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
If this had happeded in Crocker it would have had a street value of 124 million
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:08:10 PM »
lol!!

If this had happeded in Crocker it would have had a street value of 124 million
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
I thought the US Supreme Court ruled drug check points as unconstitutional.  Or has this changed?
In the past few years, the Supreme Court has taken a particular interest in the Fourth Amendment, reexamining where its boundaries really lie. Fundamental questions of what is probable cause and when can police stop and search citizens have dominated a number of the high courtís recent decisions. Last year, in Florida v. JL, the court ruled that an anonymous tip is not enough to stop and frisk a person, and in Bond v. US that the random squeezing of bags constituted a search requiring probable cause. On the flip side, in Illinois v. Wardlow, the Court also ruled last year that police do have probable cause to stop and search a person who not otherwise engaged in suspicious behavior but who runs away when the police approach in a high crime area.
And the Supreme Court has already boldly spoken on the issue this year, in one of its earliest and sure to be most prominent decisions of the term, a case brought by the ACLU. In this case, Indianapolis v. Edmond, the Supreme Court ruled on Nov. 28, 2000, that drug checkpoints are unconstitutional. This story has its origins in the Midwest, in an Indianapolis Police program designed to interdict unlawful drugs.
The Court held that because the primary purpose of the program was to interdict criminal activity that the full requirements of the Fourth Amendment must apply. The court distinguished this kind of program from sobriety checkpoints that are aimed at removing dangerous drivers from the roads, and has even found that roadblocks to verify driversí licenses and registrations are permissible to promote highway safety. But where the purpose is ordinary criminal wrongdoing, the Court made clear that police must have individualized probable cause to stop and search motorists.
The Supreme Courtís decision appears to overturn an earlier Missouri case that upheld the use of checkpoints like the oneís employed by Blankenship. The Missouri Highway Patrol has stopped using the checkpoints, and the Missouri Sheriffís Association has sent notices to sheriffs statewide to advise them of the decision. But Blankenship says he will continue his program.