Author Topic: Press Release 2-23-11 Widener Sentencing  (Read 2917 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
Press Release 2-23-11 Widener Sentencing
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:49:51 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

PRESS RELEASE
2/23/11

Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney, announces that today in the Circuit Court of Maries County, George Harry Widener of Jerome, Missouri was sentenced to ten years confinement in the Department of Corrections with the Court retaining jurisdiction under section 559.115 R.S. Mo on the charge of involuntary manslaughter while intoxicated.  Mr. Widener had pled guilty to the charge in December.  By the Court retaining jurisdiction, Mr. Widener has the possibility of being released earlier and being placed on probation if he successfully completes a substance abuse program and the Judge allows it.

The victim in this case was Donald Nelson, a Waynesville teacher, baseball coach, and radio announcer.    Mr. Widener struck Mr. Nelson, who was on a motorcycle, on Old Route 66 after Mr. Widener turned the wrong way into oncoming traffic in a truck.  Mr. Widener was intoxicated at the time with a BAC of .214%.

“Although I had asked the Court for the maximum of fifteen years, I believe that the ten year sentence is appropriate punishment for this crime.  I do not support letting Mr. Widener out early as his reckless behavior has taken away a valuable member of the community from all of us and a father, brother, grandfather, and uncle away from the members of his family.  I hope that this case sends a message that drinking and driving will not be tolerated and the effects of such reckless behavior can be devastating on innocent victims,” said Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman.

The Prosecutor’s Office wishes to thank the Nelson family for their assistance and the St. Robert Police and Fire Departments, especially Sgt. Butch Hohman and Ofc. Dan Wogan for their hard work responding to and investigating this case.  The Prosecutor’s Office also wishes to thank former Prosecuting Attorney Deborah Hooper and Assistant Attorney General Ted Bruce for their prior work on this case.

Please direct all questions to Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney.

Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline hdrider

• Lurker
  • Smile it makes people wonder what your thinking...
    • View Profile
Re: Press Release 2-23-11 Widener Sentencing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »
Shows what money can buy. A slap on the wrist. The bible says an eye for an eye. In the very least he should have gotten life. He took Don's life and he gets rehab. Where is the justice for Don's kids, grandchildren and family. I believe Coach was served an injustice by Maries county judge.
IMHO

Love you Don, you will never be forgotten .
Queen of MY world!!

Offline JShultz

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »
The Bilble also says to forgive and to love thy enemy....If you just want to bring up random Bible lessons at least quote from the New Testiment. RIP Coach...You will be missed.
Opinions are like kittens, I was giving them away. I had allot to say!

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
Thats the problem with religion theres a vague verse with no context for everthing to make the believer think their right, also Tthe way your release is worded makes it seem like the only reason the recomendation wasnt followed is because coach was a good guy, if he had killed a POS citizen he could have walked? IMO you need a PR person or need to just stop setting yourself up for criticism by needlesly postimg releases on the interwebz.  Your a prosecutor not a reporter.  Either way Rip Coachyou will be missed. 

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
OK, I'm going to defend Kevin Hillman here. If you go to the websites of the federal district attorney's offices you will find press releases on important cases.

It's what prosecutors routinely do in larger departments.

I think many and perhaps most of the residents of this area appreciate having a prosecutor who tells people what he is doing and why. It's a significant improvement.

Thats the problem with religion theres a vague verse with no context for everthing to make the believer think their right, also Tthe way your release is worded makes it seem like the only reason the recomendation wasnt followed is because coach was a good guy, if he had killed a POS citizen he could have walked? IMO you need a PR person or need to just stop setting yourself up for criticism by needlesly postimg releases on the interwebz.  Your a prosecutor not a reporter.  Either way Rip Coachyou will be missed. 
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
do me a favor darell poll 10 attorneys inthe area and ask them if they think its a good idea.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
do me a favor darell poll 10 attorneys inthe area and ask them if they think its a good idea.

It would not be hard for me to find 10 attorneys in this area who tell me they read my work regularly. You might just be surprised by the answer -- except, of course, if it's their client, in which case they usually want no publicity. Alternatively, some of them ask me to cover a trial that can get them a lot of attention by several days of trial coverage showing people their legal skills in getting people off the hook.

The point is that I don't make news decisions based on how the people I cover feel about that coverage -- and yes, the local lawyers are involved because their business will be affected by what I cover or don't cover.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline demo.dave

• Im a veteran of the unspeakable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »

I see nothing in this press release about the advisory boards recomendation. I also see nothing wrong with this press release. This was a very well known case and Coach was a very well known man. Thats why he sent out a press release. If your logic was true then he would have been given the whole 15. Stop trying to read between the lines.

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:21:42 AM »
One of the number one things that I was asked as I campaigned was to make sure the public knew what was going on with the Prosecutor's Office.  That is what I am doing when I send out a press release.  I am sorry that some folks do not like how I wrote the press release. 

I would have asked for the max on a "pos" just like I asked for the max on Coach Nelson's case. No one deserves to be killed by a drunk driver.  I'm sorry that I was not able to convince the judge for a tougher sentence.

If you would like to make an appointment to speak with me if you have a problem with the way I do a press release, please feel free to make an appointment with me at 573-774-4770.

Thanks,
Kevin
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman