Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Business Quiz  (Read 8556 times)

Offline bigedd

• View Profile
Business Quiz
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:41:39 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

What kind of business, in a predominantly military community where most don't get off work until 4:30 or after, closes at 5???  Answer:  One that won't last long after Lowe's opens.

Hint: Meeks' Lumber Yard.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
Re: Business Quiz
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »
Ive been thinking the same thing...no matter what time they close that place is a goner. I imagine walmarts home and garden section will become cheaper or go non existant also.
Biscuit

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:53:41 AM »
actually walmart and lowes work together, that is part of the reason we got one, they are co-owned by the same people, so nothing will change at walmart.
Addiciting and expensive just like cocaine

COWBOY

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:41:01 AM »
ok I'll bite who are the co-owners?

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:03:21 AM »
Well I did a little research before jumping in because I had read this befor and had come across a discussion about it. Apparently this is just another internet rumor. I did however find an artical disgussing how Lowes and walmart and target and a few others always fight to be close to each other.anyhow here is the link from Snopes.com discussion board about lowes and walmart not bieng even closely affiliated.

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=001059;p=1

I also found this

http://www.snopes.com/business/revenge/lowes.asp
Biscuit

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:01:26 AM »
There is a system that the city of saint robert has, its called the three good ol' boys, saint robert use to big with mafia, no no not like the italians but similar and when walmart came to this area years and years ago, the three good ol' boys and walmart made a deal, see no major competition can be within so many miles of the walmart in saint robert, stupid on st.robert's part i will say, this is the reason target was not aloud to build in saint robert( they were going to build back by bel-air use to be) and thus the reason that lowe's was a loud to build next to walmart because of their affliation with each other, so no walmarts flowers department will not go out of business and yes meek is still going to do just fine. It is just the way this town works.

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:03:58 AM »
o and also the things on snopes wasnt about lowes and walmart it was about lowes and home depot which are never built in the same proximety, and i never said that the were owned by the same people, but better yet co-owned.

zarkee

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:51:09 AM »
Have to say SWAY, that you have single-handedly put out the biggest load of crap that I have seen on this entire site. You must have gotten your info from True Detective magazine, or knew that Mr. Walton was actually a "made guy" who decided a few years back to muscle in on the great digs in St. Bob. Bada-Bing...Bada-Boom!

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »
Once again, someone was not reading correctly. You obviously do not know how this town is ran and have no clue how things work around here. I never stated that because of the mafia they decided to bring in a walmart i stated because of the "owners" of saint robert that they made this deal about why business can not be with in so many miles of them, havn't you ever wondered why there is no other place to shop in this town besides walmart? There are no other "big" name businesses in this area that sell clothing or other goods. And it is not a load of crap maybe you should look into how this town is ran, you might be surprised. This is how businesses work. And the only reason we have a walmart is because there is a PX on the base, sam walton stated he will build a walmart next to every AAFES facility...and he did !

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »
Apparently you have better information than us ...care to reveal your sources? Who is this Big 3 guys Mafia? I know in the 60s and 70s there was Mafia types here but no real mafia control and I'm really not sure that Walmart has a clause to say who can sell clothes within certain limits since they have a Clothing store right next door and a dollar store and a tobacco store...sports..so on and so on. your not making much sense You can pretty much buy anything you can find at walmart right next to the store in other little shops. Show me how Walmart is owned by the same people as lowes because every artical I have looked at says its an internet rumor ...period. So I am interested in your proof. please inlighten me.
Biscuit

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 06:18:13 PM »
i never said that the were owned by the same people, but better yet co-owned.
If they were owned by the same people it would be co-owned.....you make no sense at all.
Biscuit

WBT

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »
Walmart was not all powerful when they moved here.
Example-  R. Weber and Sons were the General Electric dealers locally and Walmart was selling General Electric
small appliance's.
 Weber's complained to the GE corp. and GE made walmart stop selling there brand in pulaski county.
 I do believe they sell them now since there is no local dealer anymore.

WBT

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »
If they were owned by the same people it would be co-owned.....you make no sense at all.
Biscuit
 I think he is trying to start his own URBAN LEGEND.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:01 PM »
I believe so.   %%$%$$#
Biscuit

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
I've always thought (don't know for certain) since the base population isn't counted with the census, then most bigger companys won't come here based on the total population (without military), because there'd be no money in it. Not like Springfield, KC, etc.  And isn't it funny that new people seem to "know so much" about the area and try to tell lifelong residents "how it really works?"
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline hinman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 07:31:21 PM »
Targets are usally only located in big cities. I don't know of a target in a small town so I wonder if that played on their decision to not place a store in St. Roberts. I would like to see your proof to of this deal. It sounds like a rumor that got out of control to me.

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
O and one more thing, maurices isnt a department store, nor is dollar general nor is gliks, but walmart is along with target ,kmart,macys, dillards, and several other big chains. Get the connection yet mister i know everything and everyone else is bunch of stupids ?

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 01:55:11 AM »
Ok here it is...I just got off the phone with Lowes Companies , Inc. they are not..never have been ..will never be associated with Walmarts Companies. They are two different Companies entirely. The Rumor was started over a lawsuit years ago , over the colors used by Lowes matching closely to Walmart. I got this Info from ..........

Lowes Companies INC.Pobox 1111
North Wilksboro, Nc. 28656

1800-445-6937

I called and humorously asked the customer service people that question and was greeted very friendly and they spent about 5 minutes telling me the story behind the rumor.....So there you go . If you Don't believe me call yourself and they will be happy to relay to you the same information.
Biscuit

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 02:19:44 AM »
Sway must have majored in "good old boys mafia" because he certainly didn't pay attention in grammar class.  AND WE ARE THE STUPIDS....I THINK NOT.

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 02:39:14 AM »
And you too must have not paid attention in grammar class or you would know that Sway is a she and not a he, so maybe we should learn to read again ? This all really is entertaining, seeing how everyone has taken one thing and turned it into something else, i do say this does entertain me considering how " UN-educated" i am. And if you really want to know what i majored in, it is Law and History it is what we call a double major. :) Im sure you majored in , well nothing but that isnt the problem at hand. If you want to know how walmart owns this town hit up a city council meeting and ask about the Saint Robert Walmart TIF, its all on how the taxes are paid my love, o which speaking of, they don't really pay any,for a few more years that is. And since you seem to be o so smart, you would know walmart gyps you a penny everytime you go, they round up on the tax.Check it out next time you go :)

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 03:19:28 AM »
You mean you know this and you still shop there?  By the way I believe it was you who "has taken one thing and turned it into something else."  This thread was started about Meeks then YOU started talking about Wal-Mart and the mafia.

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 07:33:23 AM »
whoa wait, your friend was the one that stated that he thought when lowes got here that walmarts lawn and garden would have went out of business, i explained why it wouldnt. And what makes you think i shop at walmart ? you dont know me or where i shop, and just to let you know it isnt walmart.

Offline bigedd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »
You people are a hoot.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »
 ::)
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 08:25:50 PM »
O and one more thing, maurices isnt a department store, nor is dollar general nor is gliks, but walmart is along with target ,kmart,macys, dillards, and several other big chains. Get the connection yet mister i know everything and everyone else is bunch of stupids ?
I never Implied i knew everything...Nor that you were stupid. Just that your "facts" werent factual. If they are we all invite you to tell us how youve come to those conclusions in a way we might understand instead of throwing out information without any basis of proof. I too have lived here most of my life  and I have read a great deal of history here and cant find anything on Mafia control of our city and walmarts plan to take over St.Robert by not allowing any other Department Stores to enter the city.  Outside of the city government operating out of the old walmart I dont see any other connection.
Biscuit

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007, 01:44:37 AM »
and i just told you how to get that proof you want, go to a city board meeting and ask about the st.robert walmart TIF . it is all on how the taxes are paid.

retired1_us

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »
and i just told you how to get that proof you want, go to a city board meeting and ask about the st.robert walmart TIF . it is all on how the taxes are paid.

Those arrangements are fairly common nation wide.  And it is always about the bottom line - both for the business and the city.  As Coyote said, there has to be a certain population density before a national chain will even think about entering a community.  The irony of this area actually is Ft Leonard Wood - the population base is seen by most big chains as transient.  I know more than one person and groups of people with the $$$$ to pullit off that has tried to bring in big name restaraunts - Chuck-E-Cheese, Red Lobster, etc......They won't even think about it.

As far as the Lowes thing goes, the guy that started Lowes, it began as a neighborhood hardware store in 1946 in North Carolina.  The guy that started the business used many of Sam Walton's strategies and eventually found that looking like Wal Mart on the outside, and co-locating, etc.......would bring in the shoppers.  Marketing 101, that's about as good as the "partnership" rumor gets.

Offline earthygirl04

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 04:11:09 AM »
Ok,...now after reading this whole post, I feel lost, and I have a headache.
%%$%$$#
"Being Happy Doesn't Mean Everything's Perfect,......
It Means You Decide To See Beyond The Imperfections."

watson

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 01:30:03 AM »
Well after me reading this whole post I don't have a headache and I am not lost but I sure do feel like beating the crapola out of someone......but it just not worth my time.....

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 02:39:33 AM »
watson i would like to remind you that this is a family board and comments like that are just well, not appropriate.