Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Interest in eBay consignment?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline petersam

• View Profile
Interest in eBay consignment?
« on: March 30, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Hi all...

I'm looking for some opinion here.  I'm trying to gauge interest from locals in an eBay consignment business -- I'd like to open one and currently have to funds to pull this off for the time being.  The storefront (I will not be doing this out of my home) will be located in downtown Richland and I do have years of positive feedback/experience with selling online. 

With the economy like it is, it seems to me that something like this would go over well around here, especially with the older population that isn't technically saavy but I'd like other opinions if anyone has one.

Thanks in advance!

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
Re: Interest in eBay consignment?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
I think it would do well if in another location.  If it were in Saint Robert or Waynesville I think you would get more walk in traffic (i.e.  soldiers on pass trying to sell something)  but I dont know if a lot of people will drive to richland to drop stuff off...
this is just me opining away, but if I had to go out of my way to get there, I would probably just post it myself...if it wer more convenient to get to as I am driving through the area, I would use the service.

Offline petersam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
Thanks for the input!

Without getting into too much detail, I should note that I currently do this for a business here in town.  We've done well and I'm constantly asked to do this in my spare time.  Aside from that, I'm willing to travel within reason to evaluate items in someone's home so maybe that will alleviate the issue you mentioned?

Anywho, thanks again for the thoughts :).

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »
no problem.  I think it is a great idea.  I have used E Bay in the past, but sometimes I just dont want to go through the hassle of pics...posting....description...etc.

I think it would do very well in this area...I forsee a lot of walk ins ...like I said before...soldiers buy something...use it a few times and get bored...and want to get a few bucks out of it, but dont have full access to internet, computer, or camera....
turns into a nice WIN WIN situation for you and them

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:55 AM »
Petersam  I believe you are the one doing it for Good Samaritan right?  We have been on eBay since 98' actually longer...but since then on our current ID...  and we are registered with eBay as trading assistants.  It is what our family does.  You need to be careful with a B&M store.  Costs are pretty high and I don't know if you have factored into the new fee increases that eBay just announced that are taking effect later mid April......

Good Luck!
yeah whatever~*

Offline petersam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
Hey carpenter...

I'd rather not say where I work, given that I still work there -- take that for what it is :).  It's actually not an issue with job happiness/unhappiness, this is just something we've had on our plates for a while as an option and something I'm able to support for a few months right now without any job income so I figured maybe now is the time.

I actually performed quite a few perfunctory searches through the Trading Assistant program but only came up with one seller in a 50 mile radius, someone in Dixon selling used clothing.  This will not be my focus so I'm not taking anyone's business (which, believe it or not, is a concern) and I'm not facing direct competition with that.

As for overhead, I'm in a pretty lucky position.  I've got an incredibly nice building lined up with very low rent for the time being, until we can figure out if this will fly.  If it doesn't I'm out of there scott-free.  I'll have very low start-up costs considering I have all of the equipment needed from when I did this years ago.  I'm seriously looking at about $600/month overhead and as summer's approaching, I can meet that by scouring yard sales/thrift stores/whatnot and making my own income from selling until I can get the word out if necessary.

Anyway, thanks for the input!  Information from other seller's is certainly helpful :).

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
No... that isn't someone else... that is our family.  eBay hadn't fully updated our profile (it is since fixed) :)
We have been on eBay for years...  we have sold anything and everything from clothing items up to an airplane. 
It is an entire family (multi) operation.  Be prepared for the upcoming fee increases which are kind of sucky but you know how eBay is....
They will be charging FVF on the entire amt. including shipping starting this next month.  Good Luck and I am wishing you lots of green!
yeah whatever~*

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »
Whoever is doing Good Sams eBay work needs to talk to them into inspecting all they have in their inventory.  When I lived down there Good Sams was a great source of items for sale on eBay.  The times I have checked their listings there are not very many.  Good Sams could easily make several thousand dollars a month on eBay if managed properly. 

My thoughts on a B & M store.  I have been selling on eBay for 14 years with 7 of those fulltime.  My overhead for running the business from the house is 23-27% in eBay and Paypal fees alone.  And as Carpenter said the FVF is now going to hit on S/H cost also.  That will up the overhead cost even more.  To add B & M overhead would make a person sell an awful high $ amount just to break even let alone make a decent living at it.  You would be better to run it out of the house and pick up your consignments from your customers or set a place and time for everyone to meet you to give you their consignments. 

In either case....good luck!