Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: wonder who she will vote for  (Read 1960 times)

Offline fish

• View Profile
wonder who she will vote for
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Modified: Saturday, Jan. 07, 2012 ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. Only 10 military service members get personal Christmas Day phone calls from President Barack Obama. Last month, Coast Guard Petty Officer Golda Payne learned she would be one of them.
Payne, a 25-year-old Tampa native stationed in Kuwait, couldn't wait. She researched the Obama family. She planned to keep things "light," maybe ask about the family dog and tell him about her bulldog puppy. She gave an interview to the Coast Guard newspaper.
But Christmas came, and Obama never called. Two days later, Payne said her officers told her this was why: The White House had run a criminal background check on her, saw a 2006 drunken driving conviction and didn't want to risk negative publicity.
Payne said she was hurt and disappointed. The drunken driving arrest is her only criminal charge, according to state records, and was a turning point that led her to join the military.
"The Coast Guard has been hands down the best thing that has ever happened to me," Payne said in an email. "It provided me structure and discipline when I needed it most."
Neither the White House nor the Coast Guard would confirm or deny the details of the decision.
Payne's officers nominated her to get one of the president's phone calls. She said she was told she got the nod because of her work performance.
After Payne's bosses told her why Obama never called, she Skyped her aunt, Golda Graves.
"I was hurt, angry, devastated. I felt like I was not 'worthy' to speak to the president because of a mistake that I made five years ago," Payne said.
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/01/08/2907338/servicewoman-told-dui-cost-her.html#storylink=cpy

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
Re: wonder who she will vote for
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:49:48 PM »
Not like she did cocaine like he did.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:27 PM »
Let's be fair to President Obama on this one ... at the national level of politics, people need to be ultra-careful to avoid even the appearance of problems.

Around here, people seem to think it's strange that I check the criminal records and tax filings and contribution lists of candidates for public office, and accuse me of playing dirty politics. At the national level, however, news media do much more than that. One of the Republican candidates for president avoided attending events at a certain well-known Iowa chain of convenience stores because a member of the family that runs it had significant criminal issues in his past. Even though I was a reporter in Iowa, I never considered checking something like that, but obviously other media did.

What President Obama did in this case is what many and perhaps all of the Republican candidates would do if they get elected president. The exception might be someone like John McCain whose own military career had more than a few hiccups, and he could quite credibly highlight the role of military service in helping this Coast Guard petty officer straighten out her life. Other than Gov. Rick Perry and Rep. Ron Paul, I don't think any of the other current candidates for either party would have been able to make that call without getting questions asked, and unlike McCain who was quite a "wild boy" in the Navy, I'm not sure Perry or Paul's military background included a history of comparable problems.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »
Why be fair to him?  He certainly has not been fair to us.  Look at NDAA and what congress is placing before him soon.  The Enemy Expatriation Act.  Traitors all. Him too if he signes it as I know he will.  All that power.......

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:53:30 AM »
the dui charge was a turning point in her life that led her to JOIN the military. It did not happen while on active duty, I think you missed that Darrell. look at the research she did and what she intended to talk about. Her dui was an irrelevant point. Nobama missed an opportunity to showcase how joining the military was a positive step for this person. And if the dui came out afterwards her joining the military reinforces that fact. but nobama is not in the business of building up people anyway!

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:41:44 AM »
the dui charge was a turning point in her life that led her to JOIN the military. It did not happen while on active duty, I think you missed that Darrell. look at the research she did and what she intended to talk about. Her dui was an irrelevant point. Nobama missed an opportunity to showcase how joining the military was a positive step for this person. And if the dui came out afterwards her joining the military reinforces that fact. but nobama is not in the business of building up people anyway!

Actually, I did see that... it's why I wrote that McCain "could quite credibly highlight the role of military service in helping this Coast Guard petty officer straighten out her life."

A person who has worn the uniform can say that with credibility. People who haven't worn the uniform need to be very careful what they say about the military since it can get seriously twisted. Imagine if President Obama had called the woman, then it was found out she had a drunk driving conviction (and it probably would have been found out), and Obama, in response, had said -- quite correctly -- that the military helps a lot of young people straighten out their lives by giving them the discipline they need to succeed.

Some would take that statement at face value and believe it.

There are also people who would take that statement and accuse Obama of saying the military is a place for drunks and social rejects, and since there was a time when judges **WERE** saying "join up or go to jail," other people would accuse Obama of having an outdated and incorrect view of who serves today.

I think those of us who have not dealt with a presidential campaign may not fully understand just how careful politicians and their staff are in these matters -- and they really have very little choice. In politics, avoiding the problem is often much easier than dealing with the consequences once the problem blows up.

Obviously I'm not in Obama's shoes but I think a call from Vice President Joe Biden, whose son does have many years of military service and who has been a Democratic Party advocate for military concerns and police issues for a long time, might have avoided the whole situation. Hindsight is usually better than predictive powers in these cases.

Something more needs to be said about Obama and his contact with military matters.

Everyone who knows me knows I have virtually no areas of agreement with Obama's policies on national defense. For whatever it's worth, remember that I used to be a reporter in Iowa and I have church connections in that state going back more than two decades. The information I'm consistently getting out of Iowa is that then-candidate Obama, in his many months of slogging through small Iowa towns in 2007 leading up to the 2008 Iowa Democratic Caucuses, was in fact quite surprised by what was probably his first close-up experience with families who have sons and daughters in the military. Democrats sign up too, especially in rural communities, and in lots of small towns Obama saw firsthand what it means to be a mom or a dad with a blue star flags in their home. That simply is not a part of Chicago politics that he had seen in his prior political career.

The people I know who dealt with Obama before he was an important player on the Democratic Party scene believe Obama's surprise at what military families go through is real, and since that has been part of Biden's agenda for many years, I think we have at least one advocate for military families at the upper levels of Democratic Party politics. That's not the same as being an advocate for the military or for good national defense policy, but it's better than nothing.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a Democrat or anywhere close to being a Democrat or even a moderate Republican. I'm a hard-right conservative who will be furious if Mitt Romney becomes our nominee. However, our political enemies are not wrong on everything, and sometimes I get surprised by liberals who actually get a few things right. Even broken clocks are right twice a day.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:09:28 AM »
To of avoided all this crap why didn't they do a background check
'BEFORE' they invited her  ***(((*
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 04:24:41 AM »
To of avoided all this crap why didn't they do a background check
'BEFORE' they invited her  ***(((*

Good question for the Coast Guard, too: "Payne's officers nominated her to get one of the president's phone calls. She said she was told she got the nod because of her work performance."

Some junior or mid-level staffers in the White House as well as some mid-level to senior officers in the Coast Guard are likely having to answer hard questions now. I have seen the consequences for Fort Leonard Wood and Missouri National Guard personnel at the colonel and general officer level when people in the Pentagon get copies of some things I have written. It's not pretty.

Something like this will have far more troublesome consequences. That's unfortunate for the military personnel, but the politicians knew what to expect, or at least they should have.

There is very room for error in dealing with national-level political issues. Otherwise, presidents and senators come off looking like county commissioners and that rarely plays well on network newscasts.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline JCorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
I would love to see what a background on rapper Common would turn up but then again I seriously doubt one was ever done!

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
I would love to see one on Obama.  But then I doubt a serious one was ever done there either.  Known to consort wit terrorists and communists, as well as having been a drug user.