Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Horse Meat Processing Plant Proposed in Ozarks  (Read 15524 times)

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Horse Meat Processing Plant Proposed in Ozarks
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Wonder how they figure the "folks in Missouri" are 100% for this?

MOUNTAIN GROVE, Mo.     A Wyoming-based company has been considering building a horse meat processing plant in southwest Missouri, where some residents welcome the possibility of new jobs but others are concerned about possible stigma.  Unified Equine has been conducting a feasibility study on a plan to build the plant east of Mountain Grove near the Wright-Texas county line. Wyoming state legislator Sue Wallis created the company last November after Congress approved a bill allowing the U.S. Department of Agriculture to begin inspections again for horse meat plants.  Wallis told KY3-TV she is confident the plant will open perhaps by the end of the year and that it would initially bring 40 to 55 jobs to the area, with possible expansion to more than 100.  "We wanted a state that was supportive of our efforts, and the folks in Missouri are 100 percent on board with what we're trying to do and how we're trying to do it," Wallis said.  The plant would slaughter and process about 200 horses a day in one shift, or up to 400 a day if there were two shifts of workers, and then distribute the horse meat to ethnic and specialty markets in the U.S. and abroad, Wallis said.  Supporters say in addition to bringing jobs to the area, the plant would put suffering or neglected horses out of their misery. Critics say they can't stomach the idea of horses being processed for meat.
Mountain Grove resident Danita McCraig said the plant would encourage people to move away.
"Everywhere you go, everybody's talking about it, the slaughter plant coming in," McCraig said. "It's sad they picked Mountain Grove to do something like that in, because basically, we have a good little town here, and I'm not originally from here. I'm a transplant, but I still have pride in the town, and I don't want it abused."
Nathan Kelly, owner of Wright County Livestock Auction, said horses often go for only about $50 at the monthly auction. He believes a meat market would increase their value and lead to fewer horses living neglected and malnourished.
"If you have an owner who can't give an animal away, can't afford to feed it, if they're working for $10 or $12 an hour, they can barely afford to feed their own family, much less their horse, so they're going to take care of their family first," Kelly said.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline JShultz

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Horse Meat Processing Plant Proposed in Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
I don't mind what people in other countries eat. What is the difference between a horse and a cow sans the "cute factor"? This will spur the ecconomy and also limit animal abuse. Now instead of n unwanted horse being neglected the farmer can sell at a decent price. It is not as if they will be slaughtering prized animals....
Opinions are like kittens, I was giving them away. I had allot to say!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
Really? 200-400 horses will be slaughtered each DAY?
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Would you rather they starve to death in a field or be eaten alive because they are too sick to fight off coyotes? They got rid of the slaughter plants in the US and now horses are pretty much worthless. No, it's not a pretty picture but what about other slaughter houses of other meats? I've see horses in poor conditions all over the place....that's not a pretty picture either. People define humanity in different ways.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
To tell you the truth, there are people who would take horses as pets if they knew where they were.  Or what is it, do they put a $500 pricetag on a worthless, neglected, starving horse?  Or just load them up and sell them to a slaughterhouse?  Why not ask people who would take them first?  But that's not what these a-holes want.  It's like the burros in Texas.  Open season to go out and shoot as many as you can.  But not put out an ad for people to come get one or two to keep as pets.  The Amish use horses for work and take care of them.  Why not offer the horses to them?  Well, regardless....Missouri "folk" are not 100% for it, so bon appetite to you.

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
The Human Society is always looking for people to take in animals to foster. Maybe all these people should contact them and get on their list.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
To tell you the truth, there are people who would take horses as pets if they knew where they were.  Or what is it, do they put a $500 pricetag on a worthless, neglected, starving horse?  Or just load them up and sell them to a slaughterhouse?  Why not ask people who would take them first?  But that's not what these a-holes want.  It's like the burros in Texas.  Open season to go out and shoot as many as you can.  But not put out an ad for people to come get one or two to keep as pets.  The Amish use horses for work and take care of them.  Why not offer the horses to them?  Well, regardless....Missouri "folk" are not 100% for it, so bon appetite to you.
To follow your logic then,  why not offer cattle, pigs, chicken, turkeys, fish, etc etc; and offer them to people instead of to processing plants.  Yes Amish and Menonites use horses, for work and travel, but they dont have more than what they need.  Have you ever eaten horse meat? I have it taste good, why not process and sell to consumers.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
my neighbor adopted a horse that was found tied to a tree, starving and no water. how many have not been found before it is too late? a slaughter house would prevent a lot of this from happening.

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:49:44 PM »
There are people who just let them go, this is dangerous to drivers and the horses. There are places that adopt these horses and that is wonderful. But there are just too many of them now that can't be cared for.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »
To follow your logic then,  why not offer cattle, pigs, chicken, turkeys, fish, etc etc; and offer them to people instead of to processing plants.  Yes Amish and Menonites use horses, for work and travel, but they dont have more than what they need.  Have you ever eaten horse meat? I have it taste good, why not process and sell to consumers.
I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember, But when McDonalds started out there hamburgers had at least 20% horse meat AND THEY WERE THE BEST EVER.
Then the hamburger police bitched so much the changed.
But not for the better... there beef came from old milk cows who had past there prime, Texas prarrie steers and other junk beef.
BRING BACK THE HORSE BURGERS THEY WERE GREAT!!
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
BLM will add a lot horses to the mix.

Offline stiffcat76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »

do you have any idea what it cost to feed a horse? and it is even more when you dont have good grazing land.sounds like you would like to have one? lots of people are giving them away everyday because they cant afford to feed them. the problem is nobody wants an non papered horse. if you would like one for a pet i am sure we can find you one.the amish raise their own horses and breed them for the work they do they dont want these horses either. i think it is a good idea, i know many farmers down that way and i am sure they are pushin for it. now i havent tried horse meat but i am not againt it just dont tell my horse that!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
A lot of them are racehorses owned by millionaires, but aren't winning anymore.  This is from wikipedia:

According to a study commissioned by USDA/APHIS when horses were still being slaughtered in the U.S., 92% of American horses being slaughtered at US plants studied were in good health. Rarely are these horses are sick and injured, as those horses have trouble withstanding the long, crowded transportation conditions to slaughter plants. Most horses bound for slaughter are brought to the slaughterhouses by contract buyers, also known as kill buyers, who drive around the country buying horses at auction.  About 90% of the horsemeat is exported for human consumption overseas, where it sells for approximately the same price as veal. The rest goes to zoos.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:20 AM »
 I would rather eat a healthy horse than a sick one.

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:19 AM »
before i get in trouble im prefacing this with i know sick one probably get thru the process.  But your meat processing plants of other animals dont take sick animals either for human consumption, so why would you think they would for horses.  They might be underfed and unwanted, but i dont believe they are going to process diseased ridden horse.  Of course you will find some that would but the majority wont

Offline missouriguy

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 01:26:45 AM »
Id be willing to bet if you was starving to death and your kids were hungry and nothing was left but Trigger the horse. You`d eat that horse in a second.Ive never tasted horse meat but it cant be alot different than cow,goat,sheep,llama.tiger. If it helps the economy then Im for it.
Live your life and I`ll live mine

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 02:37:48 AM »
I'd try it.  I bet it bar b ques up good!

Offline 2CardJohnE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 03:37:35 AM »
If a Wyoming politician thinks its such a good idea why is she trying to put a plant many miles away from her voting demographic.   Post this story in a wyoming web site and see what people think about taking jobs out of state....or does she want her followers knowing she is slaughtering horses for meat?

John Wayne said it best, "I may not have voted for him, but he is MY President

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:15 AM »
If a Wyoming politician thinks its such a good idea why is she trying to put a plant many miles away from her voting demographic.   Post this story in a wyoming web site and see what people think about taking jobs out of state....or does she want her followers knowing she is slaughtering horses for meat?

Good idea, go for it. See what you find out.

If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline JShultz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »
Free Horse= $$$$ In bording and feed. I love horses. I think they are beautiful and are historicaly tied to the advancement of man through the ages. But the same can be said of cattle, deer, and a beavey of other creatures that we as Americans are accustomed to eating. Horses are far from endangered, are considered property, and are culturly accepted as a food product over seas.... As a citizen in a country in which our ecconomy is laging, where my neighbor needs a job, nearly any ecconomic boost is most accepted.

Offline JShultz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 04:54:08 AM »
From what I have read they are planing one in Wy and Ws as well.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
Horses are NOT bred for their meat.

Offline missouriguy

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »
YET!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »
Horses are considered companion animals.  They work, they race, they rodeo, they entertain, etc.  So when someone tires of them ot they don't win races enough, they get sent to a slaughter house and the owner gets that "feel good" lump in their throat that they have fed a  family in some other country or zoo animals somewhere in the U.S.  I have NEVER seen an ad for free horses to someone who would want one or for $50-$200 for that matter with an explanation of why.  Got an answer for that?

Offline missouriguy

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »
IF you`re talking to me, I dont really like getting into debates. I express my opinions as all do and whatever happens happens. Id eat a horse if it tasted good. And if it was cheaper than beef the better yet. People eat dogs and fish and squirrels and some native tribes eat each other! I think you will see horse factories very soon whether you agree or disagree with it.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
Horses are considered companion animals.  They work, they race, they rodeo, they entertain, etc.  So when someone tires of them ot they don't win races enough, they get sent to a slaughter house and the owner gets that "feel good" lump in their throat that they have fed a  family in some other country or zoo animals somewhere in the U.S.  I have NEVER seen an ad for free horses to someone who would want one or for $50-$200 for that matter with an explanation of why.  Got an answer for that?

You need to go to a livestock auction...

The reason they are coming to Missouri is it is centrally located, economically depresses, large worker base, cheap facilities..

From a business standpoint it's a win win for the local area...

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
The Illegal and greencard Mexicans will be the only ones working there.

You need to go to a livestock auction...

The reason they are coming to Missouri is it is centrally located, economically depresses, large worker base, cheap facilities..

From a business standpoint it's a win win for the local area...

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
The Illegal and greencard Mexicans will be the only ones working there.

Could be but it is revenue for the county and state...

Offline JShultz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
Sure..... Because Mexicans have the sense to work for money instead of gripe that they are poor.

And.... Ok horse "Y" isn't winning races so the owner decides to have him processed for food for export. Gets paid a little scratch for it.....beats the hell out of just putting a bullet in his head. At least the horse will be used for something.

Millionairs might be selling their horses to these places....but don't you think the average farmer might as well? You know the forest is made up of many trees.

Offline missouriguy

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
Mexicans work harder than Americans and will take crap jobs Americans wont do. We need them. BUT they have to be legal and have green cards and pay taxes or whoever hires them should be heavily fined.