Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Horse Meat Processing Plant Proposed in Ozarks  (Read 15462 times)

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Re: Horse Meat Processing Plant Proposed in Ozarks
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I agree.  Mexicans work hard and work together to make a life for themselves.  But when this company says it will make 40-50 more jobs available, it won't be locals.  Down there either they are on SSI or Wellfare or already have a decent job.  I'm talking about the people who are available to work for minimum wage killing horses.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline dragonflyfarms

• Lurker
  • Looking forward to Pulaski COunty, Missouri!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
Argument! I was mostly through typing this and it disappeared. Grrrrrrr.
Anyway...for what its worth....here are some of my thoughts.

1. The Amish won't want these cast off horses. I've lived amongst two large Amish communities and they have only what they us. Horses are likes cars. When its used upthey get rid of it and get a new one.  So...what you see at auction is their permanently lame, broken horses. Thn they go off and get a new one at auction. These are typically off the track Standardbreds, as they are already trained for Barnes. Plus they're really cheeap .

2. Most horse meat is used in production of pet food.

3. Will we see a rise in horse thievery?  With the economy being the way it is I see a big possibility of people stealing horses, taking them directly to the plant and getting paid.  Horses are not on the premesis long before rendered. An owner of a stolen horse could have no chance to save their animal. Yes it does happen. I lived in New York, just 3 hours from a Canadian slaughterhouse. There have been  three instances u ten years of stolen horses (both American and Canadian) being

Offline dragonflyfarms

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Wow...my post went before I had time to finish lol!anyway....there have been instances of horses ending up at slaughter plants that had been stolen.

3. Not all horses at the slaughterhouse are permanently lame old nags. Back in 1998 I was involved with a rescue effort wherein 40 colt --- all between the ages of 3-6 months (yes, MONTHS)  were being shipped to slaughter in canada because the huge Arabian breeding facility (who produced over 250 foals a year) hadn't sold them. Within 24 hours a small network of us placed every single foal. We negotiated to secure the registration papers on all of them. For a total of $300 per foal (which included shipping) I brought home three. One I face to a colleague and he went on to be a regional champion in dressage.  The two I kept and trained are now national top ten and champion in their respective events. The breakdown of costs on those horses was $75 each after I figured out shipping and registration fees.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »
Thank you...finally a voice of reason.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »
Coyote how do you know people down there are on SSI or welfare or have decent jobs. I guess you went to the labor dept and got a break down on the county(ies) involved. Dragonflyfarms It only cost you 75 dollars in feed and vet bills for your two horses?

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »
Horses are considered companion animals.  They work, they race, they rodeo, they entertain, etc.  So when someone tires of them ot they don't win races enough, they get sent to a slaughter house and the owner gets that "feel good" lump in their throat that they have fed a  family in some other country or zoo animals somewhere in the U.S.  I have NEVER seen an ad for free horses to someone who would want one or for $50-$200 for that matter with an explanation of why.  Got an answer for that?

Last summer, you could not drop off a horse at the auction and leave. You first had to leave a $50 deposit. If the horse did not sell, you basically paid the barn owner $50 to take that horse. You couldn't even give them away.

Don't worry though. Our fearless leader will surely stop this before it has a chance of creating any jobs, just like he did with the pipeline.
1*

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 12:08:10 AM »

Last summer, you could not drop off a horse at the auction and leave. You first had to leave a $50 deposit. If the horse did not sell, you basically paid the barn owner $50 to take that horse. You couldn't even give them away.

Don't worry though. Our fearless leader will surely stop this before it has a chance of creating any jobs, just like he did with the pipeline.

now he only nixed the pipeline from canada to oklahoma, he approved the pipeline from oklahoma to texas, so he will take credit for job creation

Offline JShultz

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 03:33:59 AM »
Also....Even if the workers are illegal or Nationals...where do they get food? Local markets and resturaunts. Where do they live? Local homes and rentals. Where do they buy gas? Local gas stations. Etc. I don't think any of my comments have been unreasonable. I think that your comment of, "why do they think we want this" (paraphrased) is unreasonable without first hearing others opinion. You know I respect your oppinion(s) but I think we can just agree to disagree on this matter..... Lord knows my familly has no ties to the horse/cattle industry.... ;)
Opinions are like kittens, I was giving them away. I had allot to say!

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 04:16:32 AM »
Also....Even if the workers are illegal or Nationals...where do they get food? Local markets and resturaunts. Where do they live? Local homes and rentals. Where do they buy gas? Local gas stations. Etc. I don't think any of my comments have been unreasonable. I think that your comment of, "why do they think we want this" (paraphrased) is unreasonable without first hearing others opinion. You know I respect your oppinion(s) but I think we can just agree to disagree on this matter..... Lord knows my familly has no ties to the horse/cattle industry.... ;)
HUH?? your family has no ties to the horse/cattle industry!!
Oh Lord I'm up to my knees in BS   :wink1a:   ::)   ;D
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline missouriguy

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:55 AM »
Whiskey for my friends! and Beer for my horses
Live your life and I`ll live mine

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
ROFL...love it.

Whiskey for my friends! and Beer for my horses

Offline dragonflyfarms

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »
No, Chase. It costs a great deal more as you know. The only cheap part is the outlay cost of purchase. That's where people have the problems. Every idiot and their mother, etc think "cheap horse " without a clue to their upkeep. No. Horses are not cheap. Hay in the area is crap -- even in a good year. And the price asked for quality product is double what I paid for equal quality in NY. I have gone to an alternate feed plan for the 9 months. Vet bills are not cheap. Farrier is standard.

Here's where I see a difference between care and quality of horses in this area. I'm not talking from a show horse perspective. Honestly the only differences between the cost of a show horse and a backyard pony is the initial price outlay and training (competition fees too) .  Honestly ...there are a lot of crap quality horses here....and they're kept in crap condition. And they're.....everywhere! I was on a hunt for 9 months for our daughters horse when her pony unexpectedly passed. I think I looked at well over a thousand horses in ads and in person. Crap. And we had no interest in her showing....just a good horse! 

I wonder if its the mentality of the area....though I can honestly say... I like it here!  But the horses are crap....and the area is rife with puppy mills and "breeders " who dumpanimalsand.overpopulatevthe system.

Offline dragonflyfarms

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
But that still doesn't answer my biggest question.......who is going to accept the responsibility ---both emotionally and financially --- when people go out and steal horses....ship them directly to the slaughterhouse....get paid....and it ends up being little Susie's prized backyard pony? Or a 20, 000 roping horse or reiner? You can't possibly compensate for that.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
It's illegal to kill any animal with a brand or a chip, correct?

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
I never heard that. if nais passed all livestock would be chipped. I am sure chipped cows have been butchered. or is it a requirement for the owner to remove the chip before slaughter? I do know horses are good at eating money. my neighbor has 3. they are well taken care of, but my cows are cheaper to raise. I don't think there would be a run on horse stealing, but it could happen.  we don't need a bunch of carcasses out in the national forest. I see nothing wrong with butchering them.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
I don't see the point in microchipping a dog or cat if they could be destroyed at a shelter without even checking or trying to find the owner!  My animals are chipped so they will be returned to me if lost or stolen.  Same should go with any animal.  As far as the Puppy Mills?  This state should be ashamed of it's unsavory residents who deal in pain and suffering to make a buck without giving a thought to another living creature.

Offline missouriguy

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »
Maybe Im reading it wrong but--This is a crap area. Our hay sucks. People are stupid. Nothing but puppy mills. WOW Did someone pee pee in your Wheaties? The original subject was about horse processing plants and they ARE putting them in and they will be eaten. Im sure you have nice horses and know what youre talking about but c`mon, lighten up on the area and the idea of horsemeat. Id like to try some and see the price difference between them and cattle.

Offline dragonflyfarms

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
The nais chip is only a tracker and not a deterrent. From what I remember they were looking at big operations. Not the average backyard  Joe who breeds his mare to the stallion down the road. Besides....chips move and you're looking at a thousand pound animal.  Hot brands --- too inhumane for most. Freezebrands. Well, they only show up if you dont have a grey horse. Plus there's the decipher code. I don't know how BLM reads theirs. Arabian Horse Association freezebrands translate to registration numbers. Are you saying every facility will go through all the registries and decipher freezebrands? And then find the owner listed on the papers and contact them? What if its an owner who sold the horse ten years ago and gone through three owners? Are they going to shave every grey's neck to look for a freezebrand?  These are just a few thoughts....

I'm not against slaughter....but I hate to say... from what I see in MO in regard to behaviors....I don't have a lot of faith in the system or that horses will be shipped who have no business being there in the first place.

Offline dragonflyfarms

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
Maybe Im reading it wrong but--This is a crap area. Our hay sucks. People are stupid. Nothing but puppy mills. WOW Did someone pee pee in your Wheaties? The original subject was about horse processing plants and they ARE putting them in and they will be eaten. Im sure you have nice horses and know what youre talking about but c`mon, lighten up on the area and the idea of horsemeat. Id like to try some and see the price difference between them and cattle.

Actually....we love the area as a whole....but.....

Hay? You honestly can't do much about that. Its the soil. Its not cut out for hay production.

People stupid? I see those everywhere. Missouri hasn't cornered the market on that. Seriously. I think 90% of the people around here are awesome. The other 10%....well I could show the same stats anywhere in the country.

Slaughter is a viable means to cut down on the excess population. But...on the other hand....if people will stop breeding ...or bred for decent stock....we wouldn't be in the position we are now. 

I just need to be assured that all safety nets are in place regardless of location.   s stories of arrests

Offline shadylane

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Humans were eating horses longer than they have been riding them.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150613101188215.392972.208140178214&type=3

Here's a horse for you! :-)
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »
My Bologna has a first name itís S_I_L_V_E_R
Since cattle rustling is not a huge crime I doubt horse rustling will be either.  Plus I bet they donít much for a horse that is going to be slaughtered.  The article said they often go for $50 bucks. I would rather sale Flicka to a slaughterhouse for $100 then to someone at auction for $50. To me after rereading this article what is really wrong here is that a state legislator was already line up to go when congress passed the bill.  It is obvious that not all Missourians are on board like the ST legislator suggest. You can tell that from article.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 03:50:09 AM »
My Bologna has a first name it’s S_I_L_V_E_R
Since cattle rustling is not a huge crime I doubt horse rustling will be either.  Plus I bet they don’t much for a horse that is going to be slaughtered.  The article said they often go for $50 bucks. I would rather sale Flicka to a slaughterhouse for $100 then to someone at auction for $50. To me after rereading this article what is really wrong here is that a state legislator was already line up to go when congress passed the bill.  It is obvious that not all Missourians are on board like the ST legislator suggest. You can tell that from article.

Last year cattle rustling was in the news quit often. Talk to some of the cattlemen. I think it happens more then we know.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
Any takers on the horse from Pulaski County Humaine Society?????

"This horse is now safe in someone's pasture but they do not want it. Everybody knows who he belongs to but he is unclaimed as he was hit by a car this summer and the "owners" didn't want the repercussions of that. So, he lives all summer ans fall on the side of the road drinking from a neighborhood pool. It will take a little effort to get him in a trailer but I'm sure it can be done with patience. He needs to be moved ASAP. Message me on here if interested."
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline DUANE4043

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
The last time I was at the horse action in Rolla a person could not give away some of the horses going through the auction. The horse market is way to flooded. I am all for the horse slaughter markets opening back up. 99 % of the meat is shipped over seas anyhow. I have eaten some strange things in my travels, so each to their own.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »
I believe I read that most of the meat goes to make dog food.

The last time I was at the horse action in Rolla a person could not give away some of the horses going through the auction. The horse market is way to flooded. I am all for the horse slaughter markets opening back up. 99 % of the meat is shipped over seas anyhow. I have eaten some strange things in my travels, so each to their own.

Offline missouriguy

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
dont they make glue out of them also> Hooves or something?

Offline DUANE4043

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »
COME ON PEOPLE YOU HAVE THE WORLD AT YOUR FINGERTIPS;

Horse meat is the culinary name for meat cut from a horse. It is a major meat in only a few countries, notably in Central Asia, but it forms a significant part of the culinary traditions of many others, from Europe to South America to Asia. The top eight countries consume about 4.7 million horses a year. For the majority of mankind's early existence, wild horses were hunted as a source of protein.[1][2] It is slightly sweet, tender, low in fat and high in protein.[3]
However, because of the role horses have played as companions and as workers, and concerns about the ethics of the horse slaughter process, it is a taboo food in some cultures. These historical associations, as well as ritual and religion, led to the development of the aversion to the consumption of horse meat. The horse is now given pet status by many in some parts of the Western world, particularly in the U.S.A. and U.K., which further solidifies the taboo on eating its meat. This avoidance and the loss of taste for it is relatively modern, although it arises out of complex historical and cultural origins.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
Thank you Duane.  That is how I feel and probably most Americans as well.  The post from the "slaughter house people" stated that 100% of the people in Missouri are for this business coming to our state, but I don't think even 50% are for it.

Offline JShultz

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
France and Japan will be the only food cut exportation I believe.
Opinions are like kittens, I was giving them away. I had allot to say!