Author Topic: Stacy Powell pleads guilty to Vol. Manslaughter, Armed Crim. Action, 25 years  (Read 3018 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

PRESS RELEASE
3/26/12

Stacy Powell Pleads Guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter and Armed Criminal Action, with an Agreement for a 25 Year Sentence

Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney announces that Stacy Powell, who was originally charged with murder in the first degree and armed criminal action, entered a plea to voluntary manslaughter and armed criminal action today pursuant to a plea agreement with the Prosecutor’s Office before Judge Tracy Storie. In exchange for her plea of guilty, the Prosecuting Attorney filed the reduced charge of Voluntary Manslaughter along with the Armed Criminal Action charge and agreed to recommend the maximum sentence of fifteen years on the Voluntary Manslaughter charge and ten years on the Armed Criminal Action charge, consecutive, for a total sentence of twenty-five years in the Department of Corrections.”

“Four years to the day of the death of Mr. Powell, I am happy that we are finally able to bring this case to a close with a conviction and a significant sentence of imprisonment,” said Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman.  “We consulted with the family, the police officers who investigated this case, the Assistant Attorney General who was assigned to assist us in this case, as well as my own team of prosecutors prior to this deal.  We concluded that if we had gone to trial, we would have likely received a similar sentence and this deal assured a conviction.  In addition, many of the witnesses are now located throughout the United States and across the world and the expense to the taxpayer in a trial would have been significant.  However, the main concern was that the defendant be required to answer for her actions on that day and we believe this sentence will make her do just that.”

“I want to thank past and current Deputies Don Hayden, Dianne Hayden, Mike Denny, Brandon Robertson, Bill Anderson, Jim Beasley, Coroner Mikel Hartness, and Sheriff J.B. King for their hard work in investigating this case.  I also want to thank the Missouri State Highway Patrol who assisted with the initial investigation and the Highway Patrol crime lab who did extensive testing in regards to this case.  I also wish to thank Elizabeth Bock of the Attorney General’s Office for her assistance and my entire staff for their hard work in this case.  Finally I want to thank the family of Mr. Powell who cooperated with us through this entire difficult process,” said Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman. “It takes the hard work of all of these law enforcement officials to bring a tough case like this to a close and I appreciate their teamwork and dedication.”

Ms. Powell will be sentenced on April 9, 2012, to allow the family of the victim to arrive from across the county to give victim impact statements to the Court during that hearing.  Although she could be sentenced to life imprisonment, it is likely the Court will accept the plea agreement in this case and sentence her to twenty five years in the Department of Corrections.

Please direct all questions to Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
Consecutive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
I don't remember this case.  When was it?
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
I don't remember this case.  When was it?

Stacy Lynn Powell

Female soldier accused of killing husband in 2008 faces 2012 trial
SAINT ROBERT, Mo. (April 7, 2011) — A female soldier accused of killing her husband in 2008 will move toward a two-week jury trial from April 16 to April 27 of next year. Acting on Wednesday, Circuit Judge Tracy Storie reviewed a Jan. 28 motion by attorneys for Stacy Lynn Powell, 43, requesting that arrangements be made to pay between $3,500 and $5,000 for a psychiatric examination of Powell by a Columbia psychiatrist and noting that the public defender’s office had not yet made such arrangements. Powell previously had a competency examination in July 2009 by state personnel at Fulton State Hospital, paid at government expense. Powell, who faces a Class A felony charge of first-degree murder and an additional unclassified felony charge of armed criminal action for the March 26, 2008 slaying of her husband, Brian Lee Powell, could receive 10 to 30 years in state prison or life in prison, depending on circumstances. Deborah Hooper, the prosecutor at the time, waived the option of a death penalty on May 14, 2008. Click here to read more on Pulaski County Daily News ...
By Darrell Todd Maurina
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
We (PCSD) made the arrest 3-26-2008. The plea came on 3-26-2012.
JB

Offline firegirl204

• View Profile
Way to Go for all involved!! This has been a long awaited conviction!!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Isn't she the one that took the Death Gratuity and got herself a boob job the week she collected?  Also was partying hardy on her good fortune?  What a crazy thing.  Good that she got her just reward.  Wonder how those boobs will work out for her when she's 65?
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
I don't think that is right because she was arrested on the scene and has never been out of custody.  She might have received benefit, but I don't think she ever had any cosmetic surgery in our jail.  You must be thinking of another case.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
Isn't she the one that took the Death Gratuity and got herself a boob job the week she collected?  Also was partying hardy on her good fortune?  What a crazy thing.  Good that she got her just reward.  Wonder how those boobs will work out for her when she's 65?

No, No, and No!  We arrested her on the scene and she has never been out of custody since that day and did not have any elective surgery while in my jail.

JB