Author Topic: Ashley Gilbert Sentenced  (Read 1544 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
Ashley Gilbert Sentenced
« on: April 18, 2012, 05:09:35 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

PRESS RELEASE
4/17/12
Ashley Gilbert Sentenced to Eight Years for Voluntary Manslaughter
Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney announces that Ashley Gilbert was sentenced yesterday by Judge Tracy Storie to eight years in the Department of Corrections for her role in the May 2009 death of David Blankenship in Dixon.  Last month, Gilbert pled guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter as part of a plea agreement with the Prosecuting Attorney.  In exchange for her plea of guilty, the Prosecuting Attorney agreed to reduce the charge from murder in the second degree to voluntary manslaughter, and recommend a sentence of twelve years. 

However, the plea was what is known as an open plea, meaning the judge had discretion as to the length of the sentence.  The Board of Probation and Parole then conducted a sentencing assessment report (SAR), and provided that to the judge.  The SAR contained a recommendation of a six year sentence.  After reviewing the SAR and conducting a sentencing hearing at which evidence from the victim’s family and the defendant’s family was presented and both attorneys made recommendations and arguments, Judge Storie ordered an eight year sentence.  Judge Storie based this decision on the fact that Gilbert’s co-defendant, Robert Fortner, was also sentenced to eight years in this case.

“While I argued for a twelve year sentence and thought that it was appropriate, I understand Judge Storie’s decision.  He had to weigh all of the factors in this case, including the victim’s family’s statements, and I believe he did,” said Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman.  “I am happy that this very difficult case resulted in a conviction and a sentence in the Department of Corrections.  I was appalled to see this defendant freely walking the streets of Dixon after this incident and I am happy that she had to answer for her role in the killing of another human being.”

This case was prosecuted by Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman and Assistant Attorney General Ted Bruce.  The case was investigated by the Dixon Police Department and the Division of Drug and Crime Control of the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Please direct all questions to Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline mikrzy55

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Ashley Gilbert Sentenced
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:01:04 AM »
So does she get credit for time served in jail? And if she does, how many years do you figure that she will serve in prison?

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:37:19 AM »
She will be back in 3 years or shorter with good behavior I would almost bet.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:45:53 AM »
She will get some credit, but I am not sure how much.  DOC computes it.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman