Author Topic: 7 Sentenced to DOC  (Read 3375 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
7 Sentenced to DOC
« on: April 18, 2012, 05:12:07 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

PRESS RELEASE
4/17/12
Seven Offenders Sentenced to the Department of Corrections

Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney announces that in Circuit Court action over the last two weeks, seven offenders were sentenced to terms of imprisonment in the Department of Corrections.  The seven are:

The first defendant was Brian Hay of Waynesville, Missouri.  Mr. Hays was on probation for Endangering the Welfare of a Child.  After failing to complete the terms and conditions of his probation, the Prosecutor’s Office filed a motion to revoke his probation.  Judge Storie granted the motion and sentenced Mr. Hays to four years in the Department of Corrections.  The Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department investigated the original case.

The second offender was John Bastean of Dixon, Missouri.  Mr. Bastean entered a plea of guilty to the possession of more than 35 grams of marijuana.  Judge Sheffield sentenced Mr. Bastean to seven years in the Department of Corrections, with a treatment option.  The case was investigated by the Waynesville Police Department.

The third defendant was Candice Harden of Richland.  Ms. Harden pled guilty to felony DWI.  Judge Storie sentenced her to four years in the Department of Corrections, with a treatment option.  This case was investigated by the St. Robert Police Department.

The fourth defendant was Daniel Butler of St. Robert.  Mr. Butler pled guilty to burglary.  Judge Storie sentenced Mr. Butler to three years in the Department of Corrections.  This case was investigated by the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department.

The fifth offender was Sarah Plemmons of Richland, Missouri.  Ms. Plemmons was on probation for forgery and failed to follow the terms and conditions of her probation.  The Prosecutor’s Office filed a motion to revoke her probation and Judge Storie granted the motion.  Judge Storie revoked her probation and sentenced her to four years in the Department of Corrections with a treatment option.  The original case was investigated by the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department.

The sixth defendant was Derrick Redden of Waynesville, Missouri.  Mr. Redden was on probation for burglary.  After failing to follow the terms and conditions of his probation, the Prosecutor’s Office filed a motion to revoke his probation.  Judge Storie granted the motion and sentenced the defendant to five years in the Department of Corrections.  The Waynesville Police Department investigated the case.

The seventh offender was Ryan Maness of Richland, Missouri.  Mr. Maness was on probation for felony stealing.  After failing to comply with the terms and conditions of his probation, the Prosecutor’s Office filed a motion to revoke his probation.  Judge Storie granted the motion and sentenced the defendant to five years in the Department of Corrections.  The original case was investigated by the Richland Police Department and Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department.

“Once again, the hard work of law enforcement in Pulaski County is paying off with offenders being taken off the street and sent to the Department of Corrections.  We continue to take a tough stand on probationers who do not follow the terms and conditions of their probation and they can expect that to continue,” said Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman. “Probation is a second chance, and if a person cannot comply with the terms of probation, they need to go to prison.”

The cases were prosecuted by Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman and Assistant Prosecuting Attorneys Ken Clayton, Laura Kriebs, Dean Matthews, and Bill Hardwick.

Please direct all questions to Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
Re: 7 Sentenced to DOC
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:42:31 AM »
Thank you for the larger print! good job!

Offline JShultz

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:14 PM »
So if you have some weed you're looking at 4 years in the big house...But if you kick some one to death 8? Asanine and draconian....
Opinions are like kittens, I was giving them away. I had allot to say!

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:29:36 PM »
So if you have some weed you're looking at 4 years in the big house...But if you kick some one to death 8? Asanine and draconian....

Seven years for weed (the highest sentence on this list).  Ya, makes complete sense... (in who's mind I have no idea)
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
Judge Sheffield must hate stoners.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
Keep in mind that in order to have a felony level of marijuana, it has to be a lot.  Usually, that means that the offender is selling it and not just using it.  So, I think the correct statement would be Judge Sheffield dislikes stoners who also sell dope to other stoners and who can not handle being on probation. :)

Offline JShultz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »
   Still... selling weed is less of an issue than kicking a persons' head in no?  I believe that ending a mans' life should carry a more harsh penalty than having/distibuting any amount of marijuana. To think, that old lady in Oklahoma is facing more time than those two from Dixon......

Offline JShultz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
  Also, I am not passing judgement on Mr.Hillman or the Judge for that matter... Only illuminating the state of the laws on books and how they are/have been applied in todays' society.

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
That's why I asked for 12 years on her case, but I am not the judge.  However, he explained to me his reasoning and I understand.  The Gilbert case had a lot of issues all over the map and it will be one I remember for a long time. 
The guy with the weed....he would not be in prison today if he had simply followed probation.  Remember, he got probation first and then screwed up.

Offline JShultz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
I agree...If you can't follow probation the book should be thrown at you. I am talking more to the root of the issue rather than the fruit of these two situations...

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:15:52 AM »
What is the treatment option? Get help in prison or stay out with a counseling?
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 04:35:25 AM »
Treatment option is 120 days in DOC treatment program at prison in Fulton for males  I think females go to Vandalia.  If they are not sucessful, they serve remainder of their term.  If they are sucessful and judge lets them out, then they go back on probation with the remainder of the term hanging over their heads.