Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: From the House.... (Rep. Day's Farewell Comments on the House Floor)  (Read 1456 times)

Offline David Day

• View Profile

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Representative David Dayís Farewell Comments on the House Floor, the last day of the 2012 Regular Session

When I first walked into this Capitol eight years ago, I thought if I were allowed to serve until term limits kicked in for me, that would be forever.  Mr. Speaker, while some of the days and even weeks seemed to go on forever at the time, now I am standing on this floor for my last time in Regular Session.  It seems forever comes quicker than I thought it would.  The time has flown by.

Eight years ago, I knew very few people in this chamber. Today, I have friends that Iíll remember forever.  The kind of friends that you donít find very often.  Just one example that Iíll never forget is when my father passed away.  The circumstances surrounding his passing were very difficult for all of our family.  I remember when we pulled up to the funeral home for the family visitation, there sat a guy on the steps, waiting for me.  This gentleman had driven from the Capitol after a long week of session, budget week to be precise, and then had to make a drive to Festus, Missouri for an event in his district.  That gentleman is my dear friend from across the aisle, Representative Ron Casey.  When I told him that he didnít need to do that, his comment was simply: ďDave, I wanted to give you a hug and make sure you knew I was thinking of you.  We all love you.Ē  The gentleman from the Casey District is without a doubt one of the dearest souls I have ever met in my life. 

There are stories like that all over this chamber, life-long friendships that have evolvedÖoften with people that we arenít politically aligned with, but with people that are just wonderful individuals.

I was asked the other day in an interview if I could give any advice to returning members and those who will be entering for the first time, what would it be?  Well, I donít know that I am in a position to give anyone advice but here is what I told that reporter:  ďMy simple advice would be to remember a few of the rules you were taught in kindergarten, or even earlier by your parents.  Treat others as you want to be treated and be truthful.Ē

Just because someone has a different set of beliefs, values, and priorities than you do does not make them a bad person.  Remember, Missouri is a very diverse state because the people that make it up are very diverse.  I sincerely believe that each person in this chamber is here to represent their districts to the best of their ability and that's what we all try to do.  Remember, when someone is on the other side of the issue from you, chances are their district is also.  It doesnít make anyone a bad person; they are just doing what their job is for their part of our state.  I believe that everyone here truly wants what is best for our state. Sure we disagree on what that is at times, or how to get there, but I know every person in this chamber, both sides of the aisle, love this state every bit as much as I do.  Fight for what you believe in, be passionate about your values, but be respectful of otherís ideas and positions at the same time.  They are just as passionate in their ideas as you are.  Even when your beliefs are as far apart as possible, remember to treat them with the respect they deserve: treat them as you want to be treated.

Be truthful.  When you walk in this chamber all you have is your word, nothing more.  Iíve seen legislators who are so determined to pass a piece of legislation that they are willing to be less than honest about it just to gain a few votes.  In almost every case, those same legislators went on to be some of the most ineffective in the building, resulting in a failed career in the Capitol.  Once you lose the trust of your fellow legislators, which is easy to do here, you have nothing left in this building. Just be truthful. It was a good idea in kindergarten and it still is.

Serving in this beautiful building, this amazing chamber, is one of the greatest honors Iíve ever known.  I owe a debt of gratitude to the people that make up the 148th District that I can never repay.  Iíve tried to serve them well during my time here and all I can do is say ďthank youĒ to them.  They are the greatest people anywhere.  I also have to give a very special thanks to my wife Leasa and daughter Savanna.  Everyone here knows the toll that being one of our family members can take on those we love the most.  Without them, my time here would never have been possible.  They are my heroes.

In closing Mr. Speaker, I am confident that in the years to come, as I think back on my eight years in this body, I am sure it isnít the battles I will remember.  It wonít be the victories I won or the defeats I experienced.  It probably wonít even be the legislation that I was fortunate enough to pass while here.  Mr. Speaker, what I will remember are the friends, the people that make up this body.  The dear friends I have gained during my time here that will be with me for a lifetime.

I will miss seeing each of you; however, I have to admit itíll be at least a few years before I miss hearing any of you (laughter).  For those of you returning, you have great challenges coming, just as we always do.  I am confident you will meet those challenges and I wish you great success.  For those of you that are leaving this body as I am, I wish the very best that life has to offer you.

Mr. Speaker, thank you for allowing this Point of Personal Privilege, and thank each of you for your service to our great state.

God Bless each of you and God Bless the great State of Missouri.

Representative Day will continue to serve as State Representative of the 148th District until the end of 2012, this address was given during the last day of his last session.
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline Pete

• View Profile
Now we got to find someone to fill some very big shoes. David you did good.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
A very awesome and heart felt Farewell speech my friend.
I want to wish you the best at what you choose to do in the furture.
Take some time to enjoy your family and friends before you
jump back into the fray  ***(**&   ***(**&   ***(**&   ***(**&   ***(**&   ***(**&   ***(**&   ***(**&   ***(**&

Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
I don't understand "the last day of his last session" and "his term will expire the end of 2012."  Does that mean the house will not be in session for the next six months?  How do they get anything done working six months out of the year?  Just wondering.  You've done a great job for us Mr. Day!  We will miss your insight into things political in the state.  I hope your successor will follow your lead and come  to PCW to keep us informed and answer our questions the way you have always done.  Thank you for your service.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline David Day

• View Profile
Per the Missouri Constitution, the Missouri Legislature is in session from the first part of January until the middle of May (there are exact days written in).  The Governor can call us in for Special Session anytime, but that is not expected at all this year.  There is a mandatory Veto Session later in the year, but at this time we are not expected to do anything there other than convene...it will last about an hour, there will probably be no action.  That is why some farewell comments were made on the 18th of May, for many of the members it will be our last time together.

Thanks for the kind words.
Dave
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay