Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: 2012 Sheriff's Office Election  (Read 130897 times)

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Sheriff's Office Election
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline AdrienneE

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
*Stands and applauds loudly!!!*

Offline Johnny Burgess

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »
No problem just did not want anyone to get the wrong idea and thank you.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2012, 05:08:07 AM »
I Like Bill Ive known him for years. Never worked for him but I believe he would be an honest Sheriff. I also Like Ron Long, and have donated to his campaign. But I dont think he will be the bare bones hard knuckled sheriff. Truth be told I wish J.B. had another 4 years in him. Sadly he does not. What I know for sure is that We do not need J.T. Roberts. He had his run, he tried to bankrupt the county, he showed his ass. Im suprised he has the gall to even run. He does have Edward as his biggest fan tho....Maybey Ed can get him a couple votes.Most of the candidates seem like good folks with good intentions so I wont be terribly upset at who gets it as long as they do a good job and their name isnt J.T. I know this will confuse a few of you cuz of my ramblings last night but I was talking out of school on some hearsay and I removed that due to it bieng hearsay....and not public record. So....having said all that, Ill be happy if anyone but JT gets it.

I would like to ask a few questions to be answered here.
Any Plans on using the new purchase of the old middle school as a jail ?

Plans for a new vehical fleet?

Plans for Making it so there are more officers on duty than 2?

Plans for More Income???

Im not looking for spear head answers that solve the problems. More over Ideas they have to solve these major problems that havent been fixed as of yet.
This New Sheriff will have the Best Situation all around since JB has been in office. JB finally got the people he needed in office to do something and hes bowing out, so the new guy will have to step up and take advantage of the finally workable situation.
Biscuit

Offline Johnny Burgess

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
The current plan is to use premade pods to drop in the middle school. then connect them all and turn it into a new jail. Also adding a courtroom or two there for criminal trails. The fleet is a different headache but it all comes down to money and the economy. As long as the department is funded from general revenue the budget is at the mercy of the economy. I could tell you that we will replace them all day one but that would be a lie. I believe that JB has done a good job finding the best cars available with the limited funds he has. I also believe that will be close to what will happen in the future if the funding remains the same.

Offline Johnny Burgess

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »
more officers and more funding are tied together. At present there are only two ways to fund the department that i am aware of. They are the way it is funded now and the sales tax. To get the sales tax on the ballot the county commission has to agree to it. They have not. They also have to word it carefully or every law enforcement agency in the county will get a piece of it that does not already have a tax to fund that department. If you know of another way I would like to hear it.

Offline edward

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
This is not pulaski county web it is  republican web

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone,
I'm Nick Pappas and I am running for Sheriff.  I will be on here periodically so feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will answer them as quickly as I can.  There is a link below to a Facebook page so you can learn a little bit more about me.  You can also ask questions on that page as well if you want.  I will be going back through the posts and answering the questions that have already been posed to thee candidates.  Thanks for your time in asking all of the candidates questions that you may have and learning more about us.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nick-Pappas-for-Pulaski-County-Sheriff/332287950148196?ref=ts

If you click on "About" on the Facebook page you will find a short biography and there are separate posts for training, education, and experience.

Thanks,
Nick Pappas

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »
This is not pulaski county web it is  republican web
And your problem is?

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »
48fan
1) With the current budget of Pulaski County how do you plan to continue providing protection to the county?
We will have to look at how we have been utilizing our manpower and then adjust it if we can.  Not responding to calls is not a solution but how we respond is.  We will have to prioritize the calls as they are received and then respond accordingly.  The quality of response when we arrive is also important here.  If we conduct a good investigation when we get there it will head off problems down the road.  Another resource we have is the reserve officers.  There is a lot of experience there but if we do not provide guidance, direction, and oversight it becomes a resource that is highly underutilized.  The reserves are unpaid and are a great asset to the department.  I plan on incorporating them more into the operations of the department as much as feasible.  This will help with increasing manpower while not significantly impacting the budget.

2) How do you feel about building a Jail and how would you propose running it?
I would like a new jail as we could definitely use it but we have to go about doing so smartly.  A new jail being built in the school that was purchased by the county has been discussed but there are some other factors that come into play here.  If we have a bigger jail we have to have a budget to sustain it.  Without a larger budget we may not be able to staff or maintain the facility.  We have to insure we have long term funding before we proceed with any new facility.  If that was obtained then we could proceed with building a new jail.  As much as grants are useful they may also been temporary so if we staff it with individuals paid for with grants then we may fall short if those grants run out and we are not able to keep the required personnel on hand.  The efforts to build a new jail and funding would be discussed thoroughly with the commissioners so we can insure funding is being expended in the appropriate manner so we maximize what money we do have or what funding we may get.   

3) Do you have a goal or plan to protect the Sheriffs Dept and our county?
I think these two run hand-in-hand with one another.  To protect the Sheriff’s department we will have to continue the efforts of the current Sheriff in the aggressive pursuit of grants to fund extra deputies, training, etc.  We also have to look at the deputies we have and make every effort possible to get them the training they need to not just protect themselves but the community as well.  Determining what training they have and then by looking at what issues are facing the community we can then determine what training is needed to fill any gaps.  I will also focus efforts on high problems areas while providing appropriate oversight which can also prevent man-hours and efforts from being wasted.  This also goes back to using reserves when possible to compliment the full time staff. I also plan on working closely with other agencies to insure the lines of communication are always open to information is not impeded.  What happens in the county may affect the cities and vice versa so working closely with our fellow agencies will be very important in safeguarding the county.
Thanks for Your time
Nick Pappas   

MR. Burgess I will ask a few questions:

1) With the current budget of Pulaski County how do you plan to continue providing protection to the county?
 2) How do you feel about building a Jail and how would you propose running it?
 3) Do you have a goal or plan to protect the Sheriffs Dept and our county?

That's it for a starter.

I would really like to see all the Canidates answers to these, it will make a big difference on how I vote...

Don Thorson - resident and voter in Pulaski County.

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2012, 10:59:07 PM »
How will you get the County Commission to place the LE Sales Tax onto a ballot to let the people decide? Asking them doesn't seem to work.
I have a different approach to this.  I have to show the community what I can do with what we have first before I ask for more.  Once we as a department have done that then we should state how the tax would be expended.  What would it be used for, how it will be used, and what the expected outcome is over a given period of time. 
If that process fails then a petition drive would be another option but we have to win the support of the community in order to be successful.  There is always the election process if citizens are not happy with the way things are being handled by their elected officials and this falls back to gaining support of the community for a tax, especially considering the current economic situation.

MR. Burgess,
                      Thank you for answering the questions, just for the record I didn't need the answers within 24 hrs, we all understand working/sleeping..

As far as your answers, it is what was expected and I value your responses, I have a  follow on question if you don't mind.

How will you get the County Commission to place the LE Sales Tax onto a ballot to let the people decide? Asking them doesn't seem to work.

Again thank for taking the time to answer...

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
Mr Pappas

Thanks for answering some questions. I am sure there will be some follow ups from others.

48fan
Don Thorson

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
I would like to say I have a detailed plan for using the school as a jail but I don’t.  There are several variables such as long term funding, what would have to be done to convert it, and would it be cost effective to do so.  The current plan is to use PODS that can be connected together and then used as a jail but I have not seen any actual costing of such a project.
I would like to actually determine, as much as possible, what it would cost for converting the school to a jail and then determine how we would fund it. Not just funding the construction but the long term funding of staffing, maintenance, utilities, etc. I am not opposed to converting the school to a jail but I do not want to waste money and resources doing so if it is not cost effective. 
Plans for a new vehicle fleet?
A new vehicle fleet is something I would like very much to obtain but realistically I would continue the efforts of the current Sheriff and obtain grants to get the best vehicles we can.  The budget comes from general revenue so as long as the economy remains the same we will be faced with the same issues.  I have been doing some research into other resources such as funding through FEMA grants.  I have seen some departments in other states get at least one or two new vehicles based on their emergency plan for the county and their need for additional equipment.  Basically they conducted an analysis of the county, determined what emergencies they may encounter (natural disasters, man-made disasters such as a chemical spill, or other such major events) and then determine if they have equipment to respond.  Then they submit a grant for gaining new vehicles based on that need.  This is a very simplified run-down on what they did and is not a guaranteed option but it is an option I am researching further.
We have to contend with court appearances, vacation, training requirements, and sick days to name but a few things but taking a hard look at the schedule and how much we can fill gaps with reserve deputies is one option.  You will see me mention the reserves several times as they are great resource and can provide a lot of help.  It is not an absolute answer but is one option we can use. 

Plans for More Income???
I am not real sure if I am following your question here so let me know if I address it with the following answer.  So much depends on the general revenue fund.  Law enforcement is not in the business of making money but I would like to look more into police auctions for seized property as well as additional grants opportunities.  We cannot change the economy but we can earn the support of the community in time and approach the law enforcement tax again.  I want to be able to explain what the tax would it be used for, how it will be used, and what the expected outcome is over a given period of time.
Thanks for your questions,
Nick Pappas 

I Like Bill Ive known him for years. Never worked for him but I believe he would be an honest Sheriff. I also Like Ron Long, and have donated to his campaign. But I dont think he will be the bare bones hard knuckled sheriff. Truth be told I wish J.B. had another 4 years in him. Sadly he does not. What I know for sure is that We do not need J.T. Roberts. He had his run, he tried to bankrupt the county, he showed his ass. Im suprised he has the gall to even run. He does have Edward as his biggest fan tho....Maybey Ed can get him a couple votes.Most of the candidates seem like good folks with good intentions so I wont be terribly upset at who gets it as long as they do a good job and their name isnt J.T. I know this will confuse a few of you cuz of my ramblings last night but I was talking out of school on some hearsay and I removed that due to it bieng hearsay....and not public record. So....having said all that, Ill be happy if anyone but JT gets it.

I would like to ask a few questions to be answered here.

Plans for a new vehical fleet?

Plans for More Income???

Im not looking for spear head answers that solve the problems. More over Ideas they have to solve these major problems that havent been fixed as of yet.
This New Sheriff will have the Best Situation all around since JB has been in office. JB finally got the people he needed in office to do something and hes bowing out, so the new guy will have to step up and take advantage of the finally workable situation.

Offline edward

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »
 :th_police: :police:

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »
Or you could follow JT's past budget plan and spend $137,000 from the civil fee fund to sue the county and the MSHP.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »
Do any of the candidates have a job now?  I mean a full time job that supports their family.  Doesn't sound to me like any of you are gainfully employed right now.  Is the Sheriff's position just a full time job for you, a means to support your family?   Reserve deputy sheriff is not a full time job is it?  I'm not trying to be smart.  I really want to know.  Why aren't you working full time now and what make you think you will want to work the many hours a Sheriff has to put in?
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline edward

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2012, 01:34:56 AM »
 :argue:

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:45 AM »
Do any of the candidates have a job now?  I mean a full time job that supports their family.  Doesn't sound to me like any of you are gainfully employed right now.  Is the Sheriff's position just a full time job for you, a means to support your family?   Reserve deputy sheriff is not a full time job is it?  I'm not trying to be smart.  I really want to know.  Why aren't you working full time now and what make you think you will want to work the many hours a Sheriff has to put in?
Whoa Iggy.... They all have a source of income, wether it be a retirement check or a job as a paramedic or what ever.
Remember JB was a retired MSHP when he ran for sheriff.
They all have some form of LE back ground.
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline Johnny Burgess

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2012, 03:07:53 AM »
I have two jobs the primary as a captain for the Pulaski County Ambulance District and the second as a part time instructor for the Sheriff's Academy.

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2012, 05:55:45 AM »
This is why this site is crap..half of you are sooo stupid.....and the sad thing is half of the county is related to you soooo yah

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »
you shouldnt be able to vote without a bachelors degree

Offline AdrienneE

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2012, 06:29:02 AM »
you shouldnt be able to vote without a bachelors degree

What a completely moronic statement.... My mother is one of the most intelligent women I know, has a higher IQ than 95% of the people I graduated from college with and does not possess anything but a highschool diploma.  Not because of ability, but circumstance.

There are also many many people who have possessed not only bachelors degrees but masters, or even doctorate degrees that are so dumb they should only be allowed to eat with a spoon for fear of injuring themselves with sharp objects. 

I would stipulate that far too many vote based on ignorance or misinformation but limiting it to only those with the means to advance their education is ludicrous, after all look what a mockery our legislative branch is and most of them possess legal degrees.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
This is why this site is crap..half of you are sooo stupid.....and the sad thing is half of the county is related to you soooo yah
And your qualified to say this because ..........Care to elaborate? Im not related to half the county. Nor am I SOOO Stupid. Opinionated maybe, Not Stupid. So I beg of you to enlighten me, Why this site is crap and Half of us is Stupid, because your remark makes you look like a dumbass.
Biscuit

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »

We just got rid of two and they just keep coming out, must be the heat!!

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
I guess I didn't word my question like I meant it to sound.  Why would a person who is able to stay at home and support themselves and their family want to become a full time/overtime Sheriff?  If I didn't have to work I wouldn't.  I would be sitting back enjoying my retirement.  Why do you want to become sheriff?  (Is that better Maynard?) 

Man I wish JB wasn't retiring!

JB, I'll ask you the same thing I asked David Day.  Will you at some point endorse a candidate?
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline AdrienneE

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
I'm sure JB will support whatever republican candidate wins the primary. ;-)

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »
A college degree doesn’t mean you have sense, as HI proven on here. Only a moron would continue to post on a site that he thinks is crap. A person with any sense would think, hey this site is crap and I try not to have anything to do with services, product, and information whatever, that I think are crap. Hi has been educated beyond his intelligence. 

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2012, 04:44:24 AM »
I hate to say it but I think Hi is related to Bob in some way.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »

Since I asked someone to start this since I was not familiar with starting topics, I think I will try to get this back on track since this is important to me.

I think that the question about current jobs should have been worded,  What are your current jobs and do you think you are prepared to put in the 70 hour weeks JB currently works?

The second question is  better asked as  "Why do you want this job and are you prepared for the continual failure that happens when trying to swim out of the ocean tied to a cement block?"

What I know so far is:

I have listed them alphabetically so I am not accused of being stupid or a republican/democrat.  I am none of those words.

Anderson retired from the military and was a captain at the sheriffs department so I think he can work long hours.  If he is currently employed, I don't know what he does.
Burgess works 24 hours shifts at the ambulance and volunteers at he sheriff department so he works long hours now.
Long was a police man or deputy and insurance investigator for 20 years so he seems ready to work long hours.  I don't know if he is currently employed.
Pappas was a military CID man and I think that means he is prepared for long hours.  He also volunteers at the sheriff department.  I don't know if he is currently employed.
Roberts was a highway patrolman and sheriff so he seems prepared to work long hours.  I don't think he currently is employed. 

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
Anderson has a cattle farm, full time Moo!
Long does work for insurance companies on fraud investigations, much travel time.
Pappas was working for a local defense contractor, not sure if he still is.
Burgess already covered.