Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: 2012 Sheriff's Office Election  (Read 131168 times)

Offline Johnny Burgess

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Sheriff's Office Election
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Neighborhood watch does not need to be an aggressive interaction between you and anyone else. Just simply keeping an eye on what goes on around you is a good start. Cars that do not belong on your street and getting the plate number. People who are working on your neighbors house and they did not mention it to you. I live in town and we watch each others houses when one of us goes out of town even for a few hours. I have their phone numbers and if I see a strange car I call them or the police. That is what community watch programs were designed to be not tackle and hold.

Get good information and descriptions (pictures are great) then let the police do their jobs. that puts the car and the persons in the area at the time of the incident.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2012, 07:36:09 AM »
Neighborhood watch does not need to be an aggressive interaction between you and anyone else. Just simply keeping an eye on what goes on around you is a good start. Cars that do not belong on your street and getting the plate number. People who are working on your neighbors house and they did not mention it to you. I live in town and we watch each others houses when one of us goes out of town even for a few hours. I have their phone numbers and if I see a strange car I call them or the police. That is what community watch programs were designed to be not tackle and hold.

Get good information and descriptions (pictures are great) then let the police do their jobs. that puts the car and the persons in the area at the time of the incident.
Thats all and good except one thing. We generally have 2 deputies on at any givin time......anywhere in the county........I cannot depend on a deputy to show up when needed , so I and a few others will be vigilant in protecting what is ours. We will contact the Sheriffs department first......But if they cannot get here in a timely manner, It might be up to us to protect us and ours. And my neighborhood has had many thefts and break ins that have NOT Been solved..So Sometimes it is up to the citizens to protect their property.  I can say recently I have had the the best response from the Sheriffs department ever and am happy to have the crew down there we have. I just hope things get better and we can depend on better coverage and more deputies .
Biscuit

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »
Thats all and good except one thing. We generally have 2 deputies on at any givin time......anywhere in the county........I cannot depend on a deputy to show up when needed , so I and a few others will be vigilant in protecting what is ours. We will contact the Sheriffs department first......But if they cannot get here in a timely manner, It might be up to us to protect us and ours. And my neighborhood has had many thefts and break ins that have NOT Been solved..So Sometimes it is up to the citizens to protect their property.  I can say recently I have had the the best response from the Sheriffs department ever and am happy to have the crew down there we have. I just hope things get better and we can depend on better coverage and more deputies .

Thank You Sir! As our reputation grows in LE circles we are attracting a much better class of applicant then in past years. That plus the FTO training period and the test out before you can leave the FTO progrm are producing a better trained deputy. But we still lose our best. In fact one of our best is working his last shift for us today. Deputy Chris Taylor must move to the KC Mo area for family reasons and we are going to miss him.
JB

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »
Yes I can assure you.  Prior to my retirement I was the Special Agent in Charge of the CID office on Fort Leonard Wood.  In that position it was common to have to deal with angry and upset family members, Congressional representatives, and other elected officials at the federal, state, and local levels.  I fully understand there will be demands placed upon myself and the department and that while we as a department may strive to perform duties to the best of our abilities we may not be able to please everyone.
Communicating with citizens is important in resolving many issues and one that I do not shy away from.  The answer is yes I am in it for the long haul, no I will not quit when the pressure is on, and I eagerly seek the opportunity to serve everyone as the Sheriff of this great county despite the pressures of the position.
 Thanks for your time,
Nick Pappas

Can any of the candidates assure us that they will be in for the long haul? And not jump and run when the heat comes there way?

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
I prefer to spend the money locally but in all fairness it truly depends on the amount of savings.  The department operates on a minimal budget so we do have to watch our money closely but the bottom line is I will spend every dime I feasibly can in the county to support our local business owners. 

This question is for the Sheriff candidates. (edited post to be clearer)

My question is:

In your official capacity as sheriff, would you spend county money with an out-of-county business over a locally owned businesses just to save a (very) few bucks?

I think this a valid support question, to see if the canditates supports local businesses that pay taxes here in Pulaski County vs non-county businesses that do not pay taxes here even if it cost a few dollars more.

Yes, this is directly tied to my comments here: http://pulaskicountyweb.com/smf/index.php?topic=69.1350 but is a (and should be) valid issue for all Pulaski County business owners.

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
They would be placed on administrative leave until I got the police report from the appropriate agency and then a determination would be made.  There is a high probability however, they would be terminated since they cannot perform their duties without a valid driver’s license.  We are held to a higher standard which I take seriously.

I havea question for all the candidates that are on here, I want to know how you will handle your office as far as your deputies getting into trouble.  Lets say one of your deputies gets a DWI or pulled over for suspected DWI and refuses to a chemical test, How do you handle that?  Do you let them go or suspend them, what do you do?

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
There is already a policy in place that reports have to completed and filed in a specified period of time.  The key here is insuring there is a flow in the review process.  This insures checks and balances are in place to minimize such things from occurring.  Myself, along with the other supervisors, will review the CAD and open case log on a weekly basis in order to catch any reports that have not been completed or those have been completed but need to be provided to the prosecutor’s office or other agencies as needed.  This review process will also assist in identifying any additional follow-up that needs to be completed as well as prevent wasted efforts in being conducted on activity that is not relevant or not needed for the given  the situation.

I am interested in what policy the new sheriff will put in place to insure his deputy's will complete and properly file paper work. Case in hand, a person with many domestic problems that they had to go on, was jailed for drunk with a loaded weapon in the house(bad call but it happend) and filed for a ccw and got it. The PA could not even believe the permit was issued.

Offline NPappas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
Community policing techniques comes in forms and fashion and while a community watch program may not be very suitable for the rural areas providing citizens the means to communicate suspicious activity is.  The Sheriff has set up a hotline that I have found few know about.  One thing I would do is advertise more and encourage people to report information they have.  This can be done anonymously and while one little tid bit of information may not seem important to some when added to a larger picture it can be one more piece to a puzzle we are trying to figure out and resolve.

Another is something I learned from a local agency when I was stationed in Oklahoma.  Once a year they held a county wide safety fair where all the local law enforcement agencies, federal law enforcement, fire departments, health department, conservation agents, and numerous others attended.  This gave the community the opportunity learn not just about how to stay safe as far as crime goes but fire safety, health related topics,  outdoor activites and laws to be followed, etc, but it gave them the ability to talk with the agencies that serve them and learn what services can be provided and what they can do to protect themselves.  This includes everything from burglaries to identity theft.

Another aspect I would like to focus on is additional communication between the department and the community.  I do not mean simply the column JB prepares but I mean deputies, as well as myself, chief deputy, and other command staff, stopping and talking to people when they are out and about and see what their concerns may be or if they have information regarding criminal activity.  I encourage people to talk to law enforcement and interact with them.  While my time may be limited if I am elected Sheriff I have to take the time to talk with the very people we serve or I will not be able to keep current with concerns they may have.

This is another area where the reserves can play a vital role by complimenting the full time staff and getting out and talking with people as well.  I don't mean door to door but simply patrolling certain areas and talking with people who may be out on their property.  Citizens are a great source of information but understanding how to compile the data and analyze is the key.  I have training and experience in  information/intelligence collection and analysis which I would like to bring to the department so the information that is passed along does not fall through the cracks.

This is a start and some ideas and we can always build from there once we have worked out any kinks in the chain.

After reading more information on Nick Pappas via his Facebook link he left in his first post - I learned a lot....including my assumption that he was a military "implant" to our State/Community was wrong....but, that is what I get for assuming.

Since we all know the budget is not going to increase for the PCSD any time soon, which definitely does not allow for more manpower , the mention of "community law enforcement programs, awareness & Community Policing techniques" under Nick's focus areas REALLY caught my eye.

"
Institute community law enforcement programs and activities to increase awareness and safety through the use of Community Policing techniques"

Mr Pappas, could you elaborate on this subject? I'm thinking "updated" old school "neighborhood watch" .....How would this be funded? Organized (by locality/population)?

Thank You

Offline BreweR

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
I have not lived in Waynesville for over 20 years and ran across this thread via facebook.... very interesting reading.  As I recall there were usually only 2 deputies on duty at any given time 20 years ago.  With all the growth that I hear and read about it seems that maybe something should have been done about that a long time ago. 

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
I have not lived in Waynesville for over 20 years and ran across this thread via facebook.... very interesting reading.  As I recall there were usually only 2 deputies on duty at any given time 20 years ago.  With all the growth that I hear and read about it seems that maybe something should have been done about that a long time ago. 
Nice to meet you Mr. Brewer.
We are neighbors.... I live in Navarre Fl.
I moved down here in 1989 from Pulaski county.
Phone calls and PCW keeps me up to date on Pulaski co.
all most like I never left.
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02:07 AM »

You might want to read the sheriff's post for the last 4 years. He has said something about getting funded for more people and equipment. It is a good read if you have the time.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline lioness

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2012, 01:36:32 AM »

[+ Rep][- Rep]

Letter to the editor...no answer yet

« on: Today at 08:00:06 PM »

I found this on a different page, but I think this belongs here!

Waynesville Daily Guide  Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 06:00 PM Pulaski County, Mo. —     
 On or about July 24, 2008, you published this letter: “I hear that J. T. Roberts is running on a platform of integrity for Sheriff.  Because of that, I have the following questions for Mr. Roberts: What is Ed’s Satellite and what is/was your relationship to it? Why did you resign as a Sergeant in the Missouri Highway Patrol to become a police officer for the City of St. Robert? I know that then Chief Tom Julian supported you for Sheriff in 1992.  Why is he not supporting you this year?  In 2002, when Tony Crismon was running for Presiding Commissioner, did you take him around in the official Sheriff’s vehicle? I know that you got Tony Crismon and Dennis Thornsberry to agree to give you certain property that was at your house (Bill Farnham was absent that day).  Isn’t it true that you claimed a bill for storage on that property?  Isn’t it true that the property was received from the State of Missouri and you stored it on your property when you were Sheriff?  Isn’t that why the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department doesn’t have a boat now? I shall look forward to your answers to these questions.” I spoke to Tom Julian not long before his death and he confirmed his position.   Since that was published, I have repeatedly been asked if I have received any answers to any of my questions and the response has been, and still is, “Not yet.”   Sincerely: Wayne Gifford http://www.waynesvilledailyguide.com/newsnow/x1258254305/Letter-to-the-editor
Michelle Joslin

Offline lioness

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
Ok, I am going to ask this now before it comes out from other candiates later in the election process or when it closer to election time!  As a political candidate you are always going to have rumors and anything you have done dug out of the closet and aired for public humility.  What is going to come out of the closet in the future (as it always seems to around election time), Have you been accused of stealing, have you been accused of bribery, Ever had a DWI, things ever been asked to remove yourself because your leadership is not good, Ever had your license revoked?  Basically things that will be used against you or could make a voter feel there is reason to believe your integrity is in question, or on the other side might show oyu are human and make mistakes too.
Michelle Joslin

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »
Hey Lady you can't just move my post because you think it belongs here
 :th_grinin:  But its ok this time  :kiss:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »
I think it might be a good place for it Maynard, don't you!
If anybody knows MAYNARDS given name please PM me with it.  I will not tell who tells me!

Michael Sheek

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2012, 02:18:25 AM »
Maynard you were around here then, I was just a kid still, but is the Ed's satellite the thing that his wife was supposedly in the middle of or something, I can't remember?  Just wondering, I had always heard stories, but never knew anything really.
If anybody knows MAYNARDS given name please PM me with it.  I will not tell who tells me!

Michael Sheek

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2012, 02:21:22 AM »
I think it might be a good place for it Maynard, don't you!

I guess I'm just not politically correct.
actually it would of been nice if Wayne Gifford had posted it here. :wink1a: 

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2012, 02:27:21 AM »
Maynard you were around here then, I was just a kid still, but is the Ed's satellite the thing that his wife was supposedly in the middle of or something, I can't remember?  Just wondering, I had always heard stories, but never knew anything really.

You would be better off asking JB about that one Or Wayne Gifford.
But you did ask a good question  :th_gen129:

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2012, 03:40:57 AM »
JT had some very powerful Friends back in the day. They are not so powerful now I think, and he can't run on what WAS. Still too many folks around that were here and know what WAS so to speak. I hope he enjoys his retirement and if not they might be needing some more guards on post.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline edward

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
Wayne GIFFORD you are a joke  I bet you wont get 500 votes   I no    JT got 65oo  last time he run  HOW many votes do you think you may get    YOU ARE A JOKE

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
Wayne GIFFORD you are a joke  I bet you wont get 500 votes   I no    JT got 65oo  last time he run  HOW many votes do you think you may get    YOU ARE A JOKE

Oh yes courtroom tactical action going on here. When you cannot defend the facts in a criminal case the defense attorney will always attack and smear the officer hoping the jury will be too dumb to realize the facts were true.

Offline firegirl204

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
So I am wondering since Wayne brought up Ed's Satellite and Edward keeps defending JT, because JT is apparently the best thing since sliced bread to Edward.....Is Edward the Ed from Ed's Satellite??

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
who won the election? I like wayne. he knows a lot and asks some very good questions, questions that probably won't be answered.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2012, 02:26:45 PM »
So I am wondering since Wayne brought up Ed's Satellite and Edward keeps defending JT, because JT is apparently the best thing since sliced bread to Edward.....Is Edward the Ed from Ed's Satellite??
firegirl204 I was wondering if anyone would make the connection?

Offline firegirl204

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »
Maynard -- there are also days I wonder if Edward isn't JT in undercover mode so to speak.  He seems to be so in love with JT and how he is such a great guy.... either that or maybe JT is paying him.  Either way he needs to wake to the fact that JT is a crook.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »
You notice, JT is the only candidate who has not gotten on here.  Do you think it is because he can't defend what he did in the past and answer questions about how he planned to sue Pulaski County when he lost the election.  How is that helping the county you now say you want to defend?  I don't know anything about the suggested theft of a boat or anything else, but I know he is not the right man for the job.  Not before and not now!!!!   Vote for anybody but JT.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »
You notice, JT is the only candidate who has not gotten on here.  Do you think it is because he can't defend what he did in the past and answer questions about how he planned to sue Pulaski County when he lost the election.  How is that helping the county you now say you want to defend?  I don't know anything about the suggested theft of a boat or anything else, but I know he is not the right man for the job.  Not before and not now!!!!   Vote for anybody but JT.

We noticed and we also noticed that none of his supporters can post one single positive thing he has done in the past. They have been asked now by several people on here and no responses at all.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »
Didnt know Wayne Was running for sheriff....did I miss something?
Biscuit

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Im lost.....JB, you said lawyer tactics......Why? is Edward a lawyer.
Biscuit

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »
Im lost.....JB, you said lawyer tactics......Why? is Edward a lawyer.

The type of courtroom action well known to some one who has been or is in the legal working area. Edward is probably JT for all I know.