Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Should Judge's Impose Stiffer Bond's?  (Read 3713 times)

Offline justinsmith

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Should Judge's Impose Stiffer Bond's?
« on: August 04, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

As a lifelong Pulaski Co citizen, I see the same people getting arrested time and time again. I see that the Judge's are setting petty bonds allowing the criminals to bond out. Why not set stiffer bonds? For one thing, you will have the bondsman more vested, and if they jump bail on lets say $100K, you can bet your last dollar that the bondsman will find them. Another thing, if they are imposing these petty $20k bonds, these criminals can post that without hesitation, then they are right back out selling, cooking drugs, stealing...etc. I believe we should all lean our Judge's and make sure they are setting stiffer bonds. We put them behind that bench to protect us! They say that they don't want to flood the system with "non violent" offenders. I say they are all "violent" offenders. We don't want thieves and or drug abusers, cookers, or dealers on our streets, just as much as we don't want murderers, molesters, or rapists.  Lean on our judge's! Make sure that they know that they work for us. The police force works hard to catch these criminals, and I feel the Judge's are slapping them in the face when they set a petty bond for these people to bond out! Call them, email them, whatever we need to do to get our point across, needs to be done!

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
Re: Should Judge's Impose Stiffer Bond's?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
you need to run for office Justin...

Offline COUGAR59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
I agree the bonds need to set higher. The most of these criminals obviously have that kind of cash as we have been seeing that you are confiscating lots of cash from these dealers. Let's take some cash away from their higher ups when they have to come to town and get them out. These bonds are a drop in the bucket for the people involved. Pay attention to the Judges when they come up for election as the tougher Judges need to be in office here, not the Judges that keep letting them go in and out.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:49 AM »
The problem  at least in the county, is we have nowhere to house them. we are already paying other counties and cities to house inmates. That bill alone was If im not mistaken close to a hundred thousand. On the State level the prisons are over crowded and frankly unless you are a violent offender, Mor likely than not youll only pull 3-6 years on a givin crime. So If the Judges impose greater bonds the county has to find a place for those who cannot afford to bond. If they do like they would like they could build a bigger jail in the old waynesville middle school. but that costs money too. Hope the next sheriff can figure this stuff out
Biscuit

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
The problem  at least in the county, is we have nowhere to house them. we are already paying other counties and cities to house inmates. That bill alone was If im not mistaken close to a hundred thousand. On the State level the prisons are over crowded and frankly unless you are a violent offender, Mor likely than not youll only pull 3-6 years on a givin crime. So If the Judges impose greater bonds the county has to find a place for those who cannot afford to bond. If they do like they would like they could build a bigger jail in the old waynesville middle school. but that costs money too. Hope the next sheriff can figure this stuff out

You hit the nail right on. What you going to keep them in. There just ain't no room. Have you people been listening to the sheriff for the last 7 years. We need to fund and build a bigger jail. A half to three quarter cent tax would do it. It really needs to be on the ballet. Like Rick says, keep your money local.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline justinsmith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
I understand there is housing issues. I am in support of a LE tax. However, we still have to keep these folks off the street. If one of your kids gets hurt by one of these junkies, thieves, dealers...etc...I'll bet you wish they had set a stiffer bond and locked these punks up. We will always have "overcrowding" issues. If you build a new jail tomorrow, the next day it will be "overcrowded".  There is no execuses for slapping these hibitual offenders on the wrist. No execuses.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
Folks I hate to throw some cold water on this topic, trust me I like to see them off the street also, but there is a second major issue beyond the where do you keep them $$$$$$$$$ issue. Under all current legal & court rulings a bond may only be imposed to ensure that the defendant will return for court as scheduled. You may not use a bond as a "punishment" of the person, nor can that bond be "excessive" for the case. And that is a matter of opinion on the part of whoever sets the bond so please do not ask me any questions there.

Pete, thanks for reminding people that I have pushed for the bigger jail for 7 years now. It is nice to know somebody reads my column's and all that time and work is not completely wasted.
JB

Offline stiffcat76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »
its not just the local housing that is problem.it is that way at a state and fedral level also. i have read(and dont know if it is true) that we house more prisoners than any other country.locking people up for longer times for petty crimes and drug violations is not going to make things better. the idea behind prision was punishment and rehabilitaion now we just try to use it to make bad people go away. besides that we have to have crime if we didnt then what would L.E. protect you from? if one of my childeren should be hurt by one of these types, i wont be blaming L.E. for not doing their job ill just do mine. where i come from you dont call L.E. to come and handle these types of problems you handle them your self.

Offline justinsmith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
its not just the local housing that is problem.it is that way at a state and fedral level also. i have read(and dont know if it is true) that we house more prisoners than any other country.locking people up for longer times for petty crimes and drug violations is not going to make things better. the idea behind prision was punishment and rehabilitaion now we just try to use it to make bad people go away. besides that we have to have crime if we didnt then what would L.E. protect you from? if one of my childeren should be hurt by one of these types, i wont be blaming L.E. for not doing their job ill just do mine. where i come from you dont call L.E. to come and handle these types of problems you handle them your self.

...and you will end up in there with them. Believe me, I whole heartily believe in "vigilantly justice", but it's not worth losing you're freedom over. That's why we have LE. To keep criminals off the streets. What would you suggest we do to them? Just continue to slap them on the wrist, continue to let them break the law, steal our property, cook and sell meth? Someone has to do something, so I would love to hear what plan you would have other than sending them to prison.

Offline cricket

• me 115 feet up inn the air
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
The one that go up for murder I think we should put them on death row, and euthanize them within a year, why should we keep them in our prisons for 20-50 years feeding them, and paying for their medical needs.
Live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
Repeat liberal lax sentencing is the problem. They all know they will get off easy.. Most are non violent so they walk.. Mostly the prosecutor would be to blame here, but if your heads not buried in the sand he is tougher and shits slowly changing.

Offline stiffcat76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
i am just guessing here and really just my thoughts but i think they keep doing it because they are drug addicts. seems like most of the names on the prosecuters list for drug violations also turn up for theft or somthing along those lines. so i think if we could solve the addict problem we solve alot of the other crimes. country is going broke and the pens are full.  if we are going to continue to send them to the pen like we have been then we need to make it a little more less pleasant... i dont know maybe chain gangs would be the way to go.at least then they arent getting a free ride with all kinds of time to think about ways to be bad. 12 hours swinging a 8lb hammer for 6 months would sure make a man think twice about doing something stupid. and white rock is expensive they could be paying their own way for being their.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »
I agree that prison Life ought to be way tougher. If that had to do hard labor every day of their sentence.....things would be alot different.
Biscuit

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 02:48:19 AM »
I agree that prison Life ought to be way tougher. If that had to do hard labor every day of their sentence.....things would be alot different.
If they would re-open The Old Missouri State Penn. and put them in there we wouldn't have to worry about them. That place is scary!!
Missouri State Penitentiary
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 07:21:56 AM »
JB hit the nail on the head, there is a Constitutional argument that bond can not be set too high or it would be a violation and they would be out anyways.  Our judges set bonds very consistent with all of the other counties in the area.  Although there may be individual cases where I have asked for a higher bond, 99% of the time the judges set a bond that I think is appropriate.  In fact, some of our judges push the limits on murder cases by setting cash only bonds.  As for making court dates, the bondsmen now do a good job of making sure these folks show up to court. There are very few instances where someone skips bond.

The problem is also we have no where to put these people, either at the county level or the state level.  We could probably fill a 400 person facility in this county alone if we wanted.  We have tried some initiatives at the county level to address the issue that causes most of these crimes, which is drugs, with programs like drug court and veterans court.  Funding is always an issue and we are working with what we have.

I agree with what you said though and share your frustration.  As the prosecutor, I see the same names over and over.  We will keep prosecuting them with the tools we have as hard as we can.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman