Author Topic: PCSD- Arrest for Tampering in the First Degree  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
PCSD- Arrest for Tampering in the First Degree
« on: December 03, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

News Release
Arrest for Tampering First Degree
Pulaski County Sheriff J. B. King
Dec. 3, 2012

On Dec. 1, 2012 at approximately 4:34pm Pulaski County deputies were sent to the 23000 block of Sumpter Road in Laquey reference to a disturbance which involved the theft of a motor vehicle. Upon arrival they spoke with the party in charge of the vehicle who stated that her roommate had taken the car after an argument. The owner of the car was contacted and he stated the roommate did not have permission to drive the vehicle.

At approximately 7:50pm deputies located the vehicle parked in a driveway in the 25000 block of Rt. W. The occupants of the home were contacted and the roommate was taken into custody. She was held in the Pulaski County Jail on a 24-hour hold while a statement of probable cause was sent to the Pulaski County Prosecutor requesting charges for this incident.

The prosecutor filed one count of tampering in the first degree on Penni Lynn Vess, age 43, of 25708 Hwy. W, Waynesville, Missouri. The bond on Vess was set at $15,000 and she later posted bond and was released from custody.

Offline JCorn

• View Profile
Re: PCSD- Arrest for Tampering in the First Degree
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »
I have a question JB.  Why is this tampering in the first degree and not vehicle theft?  I am just curious as to what the difference is.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
I have a question JB.  Why is this tampering in the first degree and not vehicle theft?  I am just curious as to what the difference is.

Easy to prove. For tamper all you have to do is show that the suspect deprived the owner or person in charge of the vehicle the use of the vehicle for any period of time.  Plus tamper carries almost the exact same penalty as the actual theft statute.
JB

Offline JCorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks!

This happens a lot. For example if a small child is killed everybody wants a murder charge and that is usually murder second degree which carries a 30 year max penalty. But you must prove intent to murder which can be very hard to do. Abuse of a child resulting in death is another statute which also carries 30 years max and all you have to do is prove the child died.  Big, big, very big diff.
JB

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
lol...I was thinking myself that she's kept herself up.  Looks younger than 43...

She can tamper with my vehicle anytime.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...