Author Topic: End of Year Report from the Prosecutor's Office  (Read 1135 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
End of Year Report from the Prosecutor's Office
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

PRESS RELEASE
1-15-13

End of the Year Report

Happy New Year to everyone in Pulaski County from Kuwait.  As many know, I am currently deployed with the Missouri Army National Guard to Kuwait.  I am scheduled to return in May 2013 and I cannot wait to see my family and friends and get back to work at the Prosecutorís Office.

Despite the fact that I was gone for about half of the year, my team has continued to serve the citizens of Pulaski County and 2012 was a busy year for the Prosecutorís Office. We filed over 1600 criminal cases and handled over 4000 traffic cases this year.  We collected and disbursed to victims of crime $189683 in restitution.  We also collected $43683 in delinquent taxes and disbursed these amounts to the State of Missouri and Pulaski County. Finally, we were able to obtain $45779 in the County Law Enforcement Restitution Fund from offenders, which helped to fund improvements, personnel, and training for my office, the Sheriffís Department, and the Coroner.

The beginning of the year saw us upgrading our computer system.  The case management system we use required us to upgrade to a new server with new server software.  In addition, we upgraded all of our laptop and desktop units so that we could utilize all of our new serverís capabilities.  We were able to upgrade these systems by utilizing funds from the Bad Check Fees we collect along with funds from the County Law Enforcement Restitution Fund.  Both of these funds collect money from defendants in cases we have prosecuted.  As such, I am pleased to say we used no taxpayer funds for this upgrade.

We also held two new events this year to raise awareness for victims of crimes during Victimís Rights Week.  The first was a breakfast we co-hosted with Kidís Harbor where a victim of abuse shared her story of courage.  The second event was a golf tournament to have fun while raising money for various victim service organizations in Pulaski County.  I am pleased to announce that we were able to raise $1200 during these events.  This money was distributed between my own victim advocate program, Kidsí Harbor, and Genesis House to benefit these groupsí services to victims of crime.

We brought four significant cases to a close this year with lengthy prison sentences for defendants.  The first case involved Cody Willcoxson, who led a high speed chase through Ft. Leonard Wood, St. Robert, and Rolla while firing an AK-47 at police officers.  Mr. Willcoxson received a 30 year sentence for his role in the offenses occurring in Pulaski County.  He also received a harsh sentence in Phelps County and I doubt he ever be released from prison while he is alive.  There were also three cases involving deaths resolved this year.  Stacy Powell, who shot and killed her husband in the Dixon area and Brent Wagoner, who shot and killed his roommate, also in the Dixon area, both received 25 year sentences.  The case involving Ashley Gilbert, who took part in the killing of a Dixon man, was a very difficult case I reviewed and refilled upon taking office.  Ultimately, Ms. Gilbert pled guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter for her role in that death and received an 8 year sentence. I was pleased we were able to make her answer for her role in that death and bring closure to the victimís family.

The end of the year has brought a number of changes to the office.  I always thought that I had an excellent team of assistant prosecutors and was proud of the work of my entire staff.  Evidently, the folks in Jefferson City have taken notice of our success.  Governor Nixon appointed one of my assistant prosecutors, Ken Clayton, and the prosecutor who was serving as the acting prosecutor while I am deployed, to be the new Associate Circuit Judge in Phelps County.  I congratulate Ken and I know he will make an excellent judge and serve the citizens of Phelps County well.

With that change, I have asked another of my assistants, Laura Kriebs, to serve as the acting prosecutor until I return in May.  Laura was the former elected prosecutor in Pulaski County and is very experienced at the job.  I am confident she will do an excellent job while I complete the end of my deployment.

Continuing my commitment to trying to keep the citizens of Pulaski County informed of what the Prosecutorís Office is doing, we started a Facebook page this year. Now, you can check on our press releases or see pictures of my team in action on Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/PulaskiCountyProsecutorsOffice

As you can see, we have had a busy year.  I continue to be committed to keeping the citizens of Pulaski County safe and ensuring that criminals answer for their crimes.  I look forward to returning in May, returning to work at the Prosecutorís Office, and seeing all of my friends and family again.

Please direct all questions to Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
Re: End of Year Report from the Prosecutor's Office
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »
I saw on case net where a warrant was issued for someone.  I work with that someone and I don't think it was ever served.  How does that process work.  I know they have the wrong home address for them.  Would that warrant still be active?
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
Re: End of Year Report from the Prosecutor's Office
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »
I saw on case net where a warrant was issued for someone.  I work with that someone and I don't think it was ever served.  How does that process work.  I know they have the wrong home address for them.  Would that warrant still be active?

Yes.
JB