Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: THE SHERIFF’S VIEW #8  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
THE SHERIFF’S VIEW #8
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

THE SHERIFF’S VIEW
BY: Sheriff Ronald Long

As with our Missouri winter weather, my eighth week in office came in and left with a roar. To begin with, no different than you, our days filled with ice and snow presented its share of challenges. In making use of our 4WD vehicles, along with patrol car trunks loaded with sand bags, we were able to adequately respond to all of our calls for service. I have to confess the deputies and I are really looking forward to those new All-wheel drive patrol vehicles to assist us with this inclement weather.

Regarding the new patrol vehicles, I am continually asked how we are affording new cars with this year’s budget cuts. Currently, we have a fleet of older, gas guzzling patrol cars that we are continuously pouring money into excessive maintenance and fuel costs. Therefore, the money we will be saving in both gas and maintaining our older cars is expected to equal the cost of these new vehicles. Plus, the new patrol cars come with a 100,000 mile warranty and six-cylinder motors, so one can easily see how this will save money. For you weekly readers of my article, I know this is redundant information but due to the above question being frequently asked, I felt it necessary to repost my response.   

In am sure many of you that drove past the ARK in Buckhorn Friday evening, or live close to it, were caught up with the many sights of patrol cars, ambulances and fire trucks lighting the snowy night with their “red-and-blues”, along with the constant thunder of sirens. Originally, I elected to accept the invitation and attend solo, but soon after arriving I realized I was greatly outnumbered. I had to call for backup units to assist with the one hundred boys and girls who were attending the ARK’s Local Heroes Night. What a great event it was, with many children being able to meet with their public service officials, local doctors, a railroad train engineer, and others. Seeing the lasting smiles of the young boys and girls as they sat in our patrol cars flipping switches and pushing buttons, made it worth the visit for sheriff department personnel. It is very important for our young citizens to understand, trust and like our law enforcement officers, so an event like this was very much welcomed. I want to thank the promoters at the ARK for sponsoring Local Heroes Night and for our invitation to attend.

We are continually working on property and drug crimes but it seems that when we arrest one, a new violator surfaces.  Despite the numbers and odds, we are diligently attacking these problems on a daily basis. In my weekly articles I like to highlight a few cases or types of crimes we are currently working, so this week I would like to brag on one of my new deputies. As you know, since taking office we had some turnover and I could not be more please with the quality of deputies we are hiring to fill these vacancies. This past week, one of our new deputies was assigned a burglary case where the victim had thousands of dollars worth of property stolen. Within a very short period of time our new deputy had the case solved, with most of the property recovered and two suspects in jail. This type of work is reflective of the mentoring our new recruits receive from our senior deputies during training, along with the skills of the new deputies themselves.

As the restructuring of our agency continues, we are constantly looking at ways to better serve our community.  The days of federal and state grants coming to our aid for personnel and equipment shortages are rapidly fading away; therefore, we have to re-evaluate our daily operations to squeeze every ounce of service that we can offer. With manpower being one of these topics, this week we implemented a new twelve-hour shift schedule, which appears to be a win-win situation for both you and our deputies. With these twelve hour shifts we are able to have more deputies on the road at a given time without hiring additional employees. This will also cut down the overtime hours, and will be giving our deputies more days off to be with their families.

In my promise to keep our agency a transparent one, I have to tell you that last week one of my deputies was involved in a motor vehicle accident on Highway 17 North. My deputy and the third party were transported by ambulance to area hospitals with minor injuries. To assure a proper and fair investigation of the incident, we immediately requested the Missouri State Highway Patrol respond to the scene and conduct the accident investigation. As summary of this accident can be viewed on the MSHP Crash Reports Web-site.

Your crime tip for the week relates to the rash of mail box vandalisms and mail thefts that have been occurring throughout the county. First, PLEASE do not have Rx drugs delivered to a mailbox that is not easily observed or checked throughout the day. If this is a necessity, ask a neighbor, family member or trusted friend to check the box on the date you expect the arrival of your medications. Second, be very cautious in using roadside mailboxes for the delivery of credit cards or paychecks, or to send out payments. If you use a roadside mailbox for conducting business requiring money or Rx drugs, consider renting a P.O. Box at your local Post Office. 

Unfortunately, our Town Hall meeting last week had to be cancelled due to the snow. I did not schedule a meeting for this week due to a training seminar but we will reconvene next Tuesday, March 12, at 6:30 PM at the Laquey High School.

For more information about the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department and other related items of interest, please visit our Web-site at (www.pcsheriff2.com), or on Facebook.

As always, stay safe and do something positive for your community. See you next week.

Sheriff Ronald Long

Offline berto45

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHERIFF’S VIEW #8
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »
I hate to beat a death horse. I understand the long term savings of purchasing new vehicles but you have not answer the question.
Where did the money came from for the initial purchase of the vehicles? Are they paid off or monthly payments?
The last sheriff apparently didnt have the money but now you do?

Offline 3.14159

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »
I hate to beat a death horse. I understand the long term savings of purchasing new vehicles but you have not answer the question.
Where did the money came from for the initial purchase of the vehicles? Are they paid off or monthly payments?

Asked and answered many times, go back to this thread that this following quote is from.   This started with the previous Sheriff

Quote from: Gene Newkirk on February 13, 2013, 10:14:33 PM

JB helped me on this months ago. The avg car right now cost 4500-4900 dollars a year to keep on the road. The new ones will pay back in 4 years on fuel and maintenance. So this was team work by all three of us.

Thanks for this post Gene. Folks it took some time to wade through the very complex lease and option plans that Ford and Dodge have for police vehicles to determine the best fit for the $$$$ we could project for the future. One killer feature (and I mean good feature) that Ford has was the provision that if the $$$$ of the government enity dropped in the following years due to circumstance there was a no cost, return the cars, contract is terminated clause. Which made Ford a win-win for us. Not to mention all five cars we are going to order will be snow capable besides fuel efficient.

JB

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »

You start with a promise from the commissioners to set a yearly car purchase amount then you add to that the savings from the daily gas milage and the reduction in motor replacements and transmision repairs. The car I drove as sheriff was our newest rebuilt car a 2008 Ford CV. If I was a real good boy I could get almost 15 MPG in daily use. Today I patrolled the county in our oldest car a 2004 Dodge Intrepid (Yes, the same old red beast I started with in late 2005) which is a 6 cyl. and I got over 20 miles to the gallon. I am having a brain block right now and cannot remember the exact amount needed for each of the lease years but around $100K in total vehicle price divided by three years the total yearly price should be around $40K. If you have the $25K car purchase commitment each year then all you have to save on gas and repairs each year is only $15K. My problem is that I never had Gene in a position to rock and promise as he did this year and the other Presiding Commissioners would never pledge the needed yearly car payment that is the main basis for this event. You do remember that during my first six full years as Sheriff there was no money to purchase cars in the budget for me. Not one damn cent! It was only when Gene Newkirk took office that I got money to buy cars with during my last two years in office. If you like the idea of new cars for the PCSD then slap Gene on the back and tell him job well done.

And remember this package comes with a clause that should the county find they cannot honor the yearly car purchase price that was pledged to Sheriff Long and we default there is no loss on our part we just have to give back the cars to the Ford Motor Company. Until then we have five new AWD cars in the fleet for about $40K each year. We win.

J. B. King

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:54:49 AM »
And for the record I was home getting my blood pressure under control during the 2013 budget year meetings when Gene and Ron worked out the details as to yearly price, number of years and so forth so I will not claim that my figures in the above post are completely accurate. I never asked for a brief on the deal. But the basis of the plan for the success of the department is accurate.

JB

Offline berto45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
Thank you JB, that was the anwer I was looking for.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:52 AM »
Thank you JB, that was the anwer I was looking for.

U B Welcome

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:33:47 AM »
And for those narrow minded people who do not understand that the budget sets the tone for what the sheriff can do this is the perfect example. Without the committment promise from the commisioners each year for a car purchase amount this deal would not of happened just like it did not happen during my first six years when I tried this deal.

JB

Offline Gene Newkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:05 AM »
     Budget line for vehicles was rasied from $25,000 to $38.800 and auto expense was changed from $168,086 to $143,085. And the CLERF added $7,000 to cover the rest. Now on working on a deal with Miller County Commissioners that could put up to $50,000 back  in the Sheriff's budget.   

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »
     Budget line for vehicles was rasied from $25,000 to $38.800 and auto expense was changed from $168,086 to $143,085. And the CLERF added $7,000 to cover the rest. Now on working on a deal with Miller County Commissioners that could put up to $50,000 back  in the Sheriff's budget.   

Like I said, with the ACTIVE help of the commissioners this deal was possible.
           JB

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
 Does Sheriff Long get any credit????
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline COUGAR59

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »
Looks, to me like Mr. Long has been getting credit and besides it is his officers that will be driving the new cars.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »
Does Sheriff Long get any credit? ???

Since you missed it in the previous posts Sheriff Long did the actual work on the deal and I suspect he had a good deal to do with the CLERF addition to the deal which was a very smart move. So yes he is the sheriff in office he gets the credit. I thought I made it plain that all I did was track down the lease agreements and give them to Gene and Ron. Along with some advice and words of encouragement for the deal.
      JB

Offline Gene Newkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:41:33 AM »
Does Sheriff Long get any credit? ???
   Ron and JB  did most of the leg work. Commissioners all 4 of us worked to help them. Why 4 i am adding Bill he also helped.