Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: City of Waynesville sued for alleged cover-up  (Read 30080 times)

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
City of Waynesville sued for alleged cover-up
« on: May 10, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »

Share/Bookmark

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline mikrzy55

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Re: City of Waynesville sued for alleged cover-up
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »
Looks like someone or actually several people are in big trouble here. But then why is Sgt. Lawhead on administrative leave when he brought this to attention of Chief Carter & yet no one else is??? How come the hiway patrol has done nothing yet??? Is this investigation gonna take 3 more years??? Looks like the good ol boy system is about to come to a screeching stop. I believe if they put one officer on administrative leave, they should put all involved on administrative leave & not be able to talk to each other until this case is solved. Anyone else accused of crimes like these would be sitting in jail until things were sorted out. The BS is getting deeper & I'm praying that the West family will finally get closure & everyone involved gets what they got comming!!! Vehicular homicide is a very serious charge that I see comming & the cover up is much worse because of the people involved. No lets see if the MHP will get of their asses & get this investigation going!!!   :anger:

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
I say we storm the flea ficking court house!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »
Mark we would be arrested for disturbing the peace, then have to wait for them to give us a bond. Then our arraignment {which could take weeks} Then maybe get our case heard in a year or so. Naw I don't feel like wasting all that time. I'll let them mess with the real criminals, some which are listed above in the Daily Guide article.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
We have the right to assemble! But you are right these crooks would find a way to turn it around. I am really tiered of cops and city officials thinking they are above the law. Past time to put them in their place! Inbreeding and looking the other way cuz its yur cousin is no excuse!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
I say we storm the flea ficking court house!

Storm the courthouse because of an alleged action by WPD??   
JB

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
I believe Mark may be a little misdirected

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
What happened in your opinion J.B. ?  Why was this not mentioned in your column starting about page #30? This happened on your watch in Jan. of 2010! (100 yards from your office) And they didn't release the information until Feb. 2013!

WAYNESVILLE  --  The City of Waynesville and four current or former city employees are being sued for allegedly covering up the circumstances surrounding a death in 2010.

Kelsey West, of St. James, filed a civil suit on Thursday against former Waynesville police officer Gary Brankel, Police Chief Robert Carter, Assistant Police Chief Clarence Liberty, dog catcher Brandon Robertson, and the City of Waynesville, accusing the city officials of covering up circumstances surrounding her mother Rhonda West’s death, which took place on Jan. 31, 2010, in Waynesville off Highway 17.

The lawsuit states that Brankel was operating a Waynesville police vehicle when he hit Rhonda West and killed her. Brankel continued to work for the City of Waynesville until December 2011 and “concealed and covered up” Rhonda West’s death during that time, according to the petition filed in circuit court.

The court documents further state that Carter, Liberty and Robertson were “vested with policy making authority” over how the City of Waynesville investigated the case and they allegedly “concealed and covered up [defendant] Brankel’s involvement” with Rhonda West's death.

The lawsuit states that Kelsey West is the only proper person to file the suit and was denied access to records on this case until this year: “As evidenced by police records and recordings made available to Plaintiff West more than three years after the death of Decedent West (records) that were affirmatively hidden from and denied to Plaintiff West and her family prior to February 2013 by [defendants] Brankel, Carter, Liberty, Robertson and Waynesville,” the lawsuit states.

According to the lawsuit, Brankel was driving to a burglary at 20885 Lacombe Road, with his lights on and Robertson proceeded a few minutes after him. He reported seeing Rhonda West “walking down the middle of the road” in the vicinity of Rice’s Laundry and Cleaners and asked another agency to check on Rhonda West.

Minutes later, according to the suit, Robertson passed Rice’s and reported seeing no one in the area.

A few minutes following, two eye witnesses called 911 and reported seeing a body in the vicinity of Rice’s, the lawsuit states. The witnesses reported in the document that they saw no other vehicles in the area besides the two police cars driven by Brankel and Robertson.

The lawsuit also states that “the time it took defendant Brankel to arrive at the scene of the burglary is inconsistent with his having gone directly to the Lacombe burglary and is consistent with his having made contact with Decedent West in the vicinity of Rice’s Cleaners prior to arriving at the burglary.”

The lawsuit states that Carter and Liberty named Brankel and Robertson in charge of the death investigation, despite knowing the two were the most logical suspects in the case.

Brankel was also made the primary point of contact for the media of Rhonda West’s death investigation.

~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
Mollen Commission

The Mollen Commission is formally known as The City of New York Commission to Investigate Allegations of Police Corruption and the Anti-Corruption Procedures of the Police Department. Former judge Milton Mollen was appointed in July 1992 by then New York City mayor David N. Dinkins to investigate corruption in the New York City Police Department. Mollen's mandate was to examine and investigate “the nature and extent of corruption in the Department; evaluate the departments procedures for preventing and detecting that corruption; and recommend changes and improvements to those procedures”.

In December 1993, the New York Times reported that the "special mayoral panel asserted ... that the New York City Police Department had failed at every level to uproot corruption and had instead tolerated a culture that fostered misconduct and concealed lawlessness by police officers."[1]

Mollen issued a report in July 1994. The conclusion:

Today's corruption is not the corruption of Knapp Commission days. Corruption then was largely a corruption of accommodation, of criminals and police officers giving and taking bribes, buying and selling protection. Corruption was, in its essence, consensual. Today's corruption is characterized by brutality, theft, abuse of authority and active police criminality.

The Mollen Commission transcripts and videotapes are housed in the Special Collections of the Lloyd Sealy Library, John Jay College of Criminal Justice.[2]
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
1. The correct venue was the city of Waynesville Police. It was inside the city limits and it is not the sheriff's job to patrol Waynesville.
2. The evening road shift commander for WPD, Lt. Brankel was on duty.
3. The incident happened at or near Rice's Cleaners which is well over 100 yards from the sheriff's office.
4. Waynesville never asked for our help with the investigation inside the city reference this incident.
5. At the time we were dealing with 8 suspects on the scene of a reported burglary in progress and we only had only two deputies on duty. WPD was responding to back us up on this hot call.
6. The Sheriff's View column covered the PCSD and its work, not the WPD.
7. It is not the sheriff's job to answer Sunshine or other information requests directed to WPD.
8. It is not the sheriff's job to answer for WPD.
9. I was not there nor was I close by and I do not know what happened. Therefore since I have no facts at hand I have no opinion. Based on the coverage of the media so far I am not even sure what they have filed suit over. Media coverage quoted some thin "facts".
10. The Mollen Commission covers New York City and not WPD.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 12:31:15 AM »
1. The correct venue was the city of Waynesville Police. It was inside the city limits and it is not the sheriff's job to patrol Waynesville.
2. The evening road shift commander for WPD, Lt. Brankel was on duty.
3. The incident happened at or near Rice's Cleaners which is well over 100 yards from the sheriff's office.
4. Waynesville never asked for our help with the investigation inside the city reference this incident.
5. At the time we were dealing with 8 suspects on the scene of a reported burglary in progress and we only had only two deputies on duty. WPD was responding to back us up on this hot call.
6. The Sheriff's View column covered the PCSD and its work, not the WPD.
7. It is not the sheriff's job to answer Sunshine or other information requests directed to WPD.
8. It is not the sheriff's job to answer for WPD.
9. I was not there nor was I close by and I do not know what happened. Therefore since I have no facts at hand I have no opinion. Based on the coverage of the media so far I am not even sure what they have filed suit over. Media coverage quoted some thin "facts".
10. The Mollen Commission covers New York City and not WPD.
You didn't think you should include in your column  that a dead body was found on Highway 17?  Even though you wrote this?
The state of Missouri , MODOT, and the MSHP have all launched an aggressive war on traffic fatalities over the past five years and as a result the 2009 fatality count was the lowest since (from memory) 1950. The MODOT safety programs like the Hazardous Moving Violations grant that we have used the past three years are just one part of the total effort to reduce the number of lives lost.  I just checked the MSHP website and the following are the correct fatality totals for the past few years. In 2007 it was 992 killed. In 2008 it was 960, and in 2009 the total dropped to 878.  No matter how you list these numbers they represent a lot of people killed in car wrecks in Missouri and most of them were preventable. The toll on the family and friends of those killed can never be added up in any positive way and the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office will continue to work to keep the fatal numbers here in Pulaski County as low as possible.

~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »

But when you wanted to talk about needing money and more people you kept saying that you were responsible for all 550 sq miles of pulaski county.

Offline edward

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 04:54:35 AM »
 I LIKE THAT COWBOY       

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 01:16:36 PM »
But when you wanted to talk about needing money and more people you kept saying that you were responsible for all 550 sq miles of pulaski county.

If they ASKED for the help then yes we helped thus needing more manpower because we were taking on more calls and their follow up action. If we were driving by and saw something in progress in Waynesville then yes we jumped on it thus more manpower but to do ROUTINE PATROL in Waynesville then NO not our main job. SRPD has more officers than any department in the county and we still back them up from time to time and the same see it in progress works for them also.

JB (my real name not a fake name)

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »
You didn't think you should include in your column  that a dead body was found on Highway 17?  Even though you wrote this?
The state of Missouri , MODOT, and the MSHP have all launched an aggressive war on traffic fatalities over the past five years and as a result the 2009 fatality count was the lowest since (from memory) 1950. The MODOT safety programs like the Hazardous Moving Violations grant that we have used the past three years are just one part of the total effort to reduce the number of lives lost.  I just checked the MSHP website and the following are the correct fatality totals for the past few years. In 2007 it was 992 killed. In 2008 it was 960, and in 2009 the total dropped to 878.  No matter how you list these numbers they represent a lot of people killed in car wrecks in Missouri and most of them were preventable. The toll on the family and friends of those killed can never be added up in any positive way and the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office will continue to work to keep the fatal numbers here in Pulaski County as low as possible.

Yes Mark, I did work to keep down the accidents and fatal's that occurred in my proper VENUE which was the unincorporated part of Pulaski County. If we did some action in a city that was a bonus. The traffic grants do not cover investigations of incidents that have already occurred.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
Guess you missed my question....."You didn't think you should include in your column  that a dead body was found on Highway 17"? 
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »

If they ASKED for the help then yes we helped thus needing more manpower because we were taking on more calls and their follow up action. If we were driving by and saw something in progress in Waynesville then yes we jumped on it thus more manpower but to do ROUTINE PATROL in Waynesville then NO not our main job. SRPD has more officers than any department in the county and we still back them up from time to time and the same see it in progress works for them also.

JB (my real name not a fake name)
    So the key word is ASKED??? So if you get assaulted on the courthouse square do you have to wait for Waynesville to ASK for help??? Doesn't the county have a scanner & wouldn't a body laying in the middle of the road be a priority??? I thought this was protect & serve for most officers??? Now I'm really confused!!! Where is everyones jurisdiction start & end??? I would like to know this so I can call in a case of an emergency & then I won't have to wait till someone else dies. Please explain JB {your real name}  ???

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
Hey folks, What's with the outrage, now? This happened over 2 years ago. The Waynesville & Richland newspapers carried the story about Ms West being the victim of a hit & run. Darrell Maurina wrote a story on Feb 1st, 2010 Here is the link: http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com/news.php?viewStory=1582

Why are you trying the beat up the ex-sheriff? It was not within his jurisdiction to investigate?
This is a terrible tragedy and hopefully soon the family will have some closure and person(s) responsible brought to justice.

Offline JShultz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »
I like how Mark says that the county is full of inbreeds and yet he is the one who comes off as a person who parents were related before their wedding.
Opinions are like kittens, I was giving them away. I had allot to say!

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »
    So the key word is ASKED??? So if you get assaulted on the courthouse square do you have to wait for Waynesville to ASK for help??? Doesn't the county have a scanner & wouldn't a body laying in the middle of the road be a priority??? I thought this was protect & serve for most officers??? Now I'm really confused!!! Where is everyones jurisdiction start & end??? I would like to know this so I can call in a case of an emergency & then I won't have to wait till someone else dies. Please explain JB {your real name}  ???

If you read the above posts then you should have grasped the idea that PCSD had two deputies on duty on this date and they had 8 suspects in a burglary being held at gunpoint and WPD was responding to assist us when this incident happened. So no we were not involved in the initial incident and as such we had no business jumping on their case. If they had asked we would have. If we had driven up on the brand new incident we would have taken action but as I said for years two deputies on duty cannot cover this county. I stand by that statement.

Yes our dispatch was tracking this incident as it unfolded. If we would have had a third deputy available we might have sent him to the body. But with 8 suspects and 2 deputies at an active scene we most likely would not have sent him there because 1. it was in the city and 2. they had officers on duty and 3. we were not asked for help.

We have responded to many calls on the courthouse lawn when we had deputies at the office. If there were no deputies at the office we called WPD and hoped they would respond.

Actually I am the one confused here because I seem to remember complaints to the Pulaski County Commission that we had completed traffic stops inside the Dixon City limits while we were working on drug cases. Damn us for being in the city at that time and now damn us for not being in the city at that time.

The fact that I turned 66 this year is not the only reason I had for not running for the office of sheriff a third time.

JB (still my real name and everybody knows who I am and therefore held responsible for MY comments)

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »
Hey folks, What's with the outrage, now? This happened over 2 years ago. The Waynesville & Richland newspapers carried the story about Ms West being the victim of a hit & run. Darrell Maurina wrote a story on Feb 1st, 2010 Here is the link: http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com/news.php?viewStory=1582

Why are you trying the beat up the ex-sheriff? It was not within his jurisdiction to investigate?
This is a terrible tragedy and hopefully soon the family will have some closure and person(s) responsible brought to justice.
Nice link Ed, too bad it don't work. I myself am not trying to beat up the sheriff, I have some questions I want answers to. Jurisdiction being one of those!!! So a person needs help & has to call the right agency is what I'm reading. Unless that agency passes it on & that all takes time. A body in the road on hiway 17 isn't as important as a burglery in progress??? Maybe the priorities here are just a little screwed up. How many shots were fired at this burglary & were there any bodys laying around??? Sheesh think about it!!! JB was a great sheriff & a great asset to this community, but there is something very wrong with this picture!!!  :th_tha3ab577b-1:

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
Nice link Ed, too bad it don't work. I myself am not trying to beat up the sheriff, I have some questions I want answers to. Jurisdiction being one of those!!! So a person needs help & has to call the right agency is what I'm reading. Unless that agency passes it on & that all takes time. A body in the road on hiway 17 isn't as important as a burglery in progress??? Maybe the priorities here are just a little screwed up. How many shots were fired at this burglary & were there any bodys laying around??? Sheesh think about it!!! JB was a great sheriff & a great asset to this community, but there is something very wrong with this picture!!!  :th_tha3ab577b-1:

No actually all you have to do is call 911, tell us what is going on and give an accurate location and 911 will contact the correct agency. The one thing everybody forgets is that the calls that come in do not always turn out to be accurate. I have responded to several dozen "body by road" calls over the years and many of them were flat out false.

The burglary came first and 8 were being detained when the second call came in near Rice's Cleaners. Once you are engaged at a scene it is hard to back out especially when it looks like a major felony.  If we had just taken 8 burglars out of your house and then dumped them to respond to another call I suspect you might be upset.

We (LE) have a system of passing on calls under mutual aid when the correct agency is not able to respond quickly. Given the right circumstances WPD could respond to your home in Crocker and be legal. PCSD can respond into Camden County and be legal. SRPD could go to Dixon. The variations are endless on mutual aid. So relax we have you covered. It may take a few minutes to sort out and get people responding but they will respond.

If you want better and faster coverage then increase the PCSD budget. We have a hard time finding full time deputies who will work for free.

The only thing wrong with this picture is the fact that the agency responsible for investigating the incident is the agency which has been accused of gross failure to properly handle the incident. Did they or did they not mishandle the incident?     I do not know.      What say we wait and see what proof or facts emerge and see where the legal process goes before we declare war.

JB

Offline edward

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
JB   YOU  :anger: ME :     

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »

JB (still my real name and everybody knows who I am and therefore held responsible for MY comments)

welcome to the internet JB.....does it pain you to know Mr. Long is already doing a better job than you ever did?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »

welcome to the internet JB.....does it pain you to know Mr. Long is already doing a better job than you ever did?

No.

Offline Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »

Low blow to a man who worked hard for this county his whole term.  Like him or dislike him he served his time and your statement was unnecessary.

Offline mikrzy55

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »
Thank you for your answers JB, but it still looks like there's a lot of wasted time. But yet I do see your point.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »
why would JB want sherrif long to do a bad job, which would undo what JB has done during his terms? He doesn't want sherrif long to improve the safety and well being of the county residents? 

Fall down much hi?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »
FYI, Fish and Racer and anybody else that cares, I still have a key to Ron's private office, full access to his computer, and meet with him weekly on past history and the enabling of some other programs for the future. So yes I have a vested interest in how he does during his term of office and I hope he will be able to move the department forward in many ways. He has finished up several key jobs and programs that I had started and these will help the department. Several of the plans he has for the future will also be good. So bottom line I want him to succeed big time.

JB

Offline 2CardJohnE

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 03:18:17 AM »
FYI, Fish and Racer and anybody else that cares, I still have a key to Ron's private office, full access to his computer, and meet with him weekly on past history and the enabling of some other programs for the future. So yes I have a vested interest in how he does during his term of office and I hope he will be able to move the department forward in many ways. He has finished up several key jobs and programs that I had started and these will help the department. Several of the plans he has for the future will also be good. So bottom line I want him to succeed big time.

JB
  I hear Crappie are bite'n.....a lot less stressful
John Wayne said it best, "I may not have voted for him, but he is MY President