Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Loss of people in Pulaski County  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Loss of people in Pulaski County
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

885 permanent party cuts on Fort Wood, let's not forget all the civil service jobs going away with them. You are looking at at 2000 plus empty homes in the county. 3000 less people or more.. They are painting this as a pretty picture in the community/.. I think it will be very destructive.. Less Mess hall, less PX, less, less, less...

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
Re: Loss of people in Pulaski County
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
1*

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 02:52:07 AM »
the off base business  people need to wake up! I teach ait people everyday. I ask them what are they doing the weekend. the answer? Big louies, stay on base, 6 flags, the lake. why are the builders building just houses yet we have 1000's of trainees with money to burn. there is more for them to do on base then off. What is being done to get their money to stay here? not a damn thing. there is a pool, mini putt putt, batting cages, go karts, good bowling alley on base. what is there off base? lots of resturaunts are good, but they are looking for recreation and off base it isn't there. I have students that tell me they spend 200-400 at big louies on a weekend. that's their choice, but big louies should not be the only choice. if the off base community was serious there would be a concerted effort to offer quality entertainment not just for the trainees, but for all in the community. Hows that mall coming? the off base community needs to wake up and cater to the base and quit mooching off it.

Offline JCorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
Fish I couldn't agree with you more.  Of all the Army bases I have been to throughout the country, this one has the least to offer off post than any other.  Now while that may offend some locals, it is an opinion based on experience.  I am not sure about "all the restaurants" you are referring to because there is a lack of quality eating establishments here in my mind.  My wife and I usually go to Rolla when we go out because of the great places to eat there.  I don't see St Robert doing much to attract any new businesses here.  It seems to me that the local community is too wrapped around Walmart to look at anything else.  I for one absolutely refuse to shop at Walmart so I do most of my shopping in Lebanon, Springfield, and Columbia.  When I was younger I participated in many off post recreational activities at different posts.  I made alot of friends and had alot of fun.  Nothing here though because the local community relies on FLW to provide all recreational activity and FLW is only concerned with the kids.  What local communities fail to understand is that recreational sports leagues generate lots of business for local eating establishments, bars, and stores.  I have seen it with my own eyes.  I have watched bars make a killing off sponsering local teams.  But I guess the bottom line is, if Walmart can't make a buck off it, it isn't important.

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
the off base business  people need to wake up! I teach ait people everyday. I ask them what are they doing the weekend. the answer? Big louies, stay on base, 6 flags, the lake. why are the builders building just houses yet we have 1000's of trainees with money to burn. there is more for them to do on base then off. What is being done to get their money to stay here? not a damn thing. there is a pool, mini putt putt, batting cages, go karts, good bowling alley on base. what is there off base? lots of resturaunts are good, but they are looking for recreation and off base it isn't there. I have students that tell me they spend 200-400 at big louies on a weekend. that's their choice, but big louies should not be the only choice. if the off base community was serious there would be a concerted effort to offer quality entertainment not just for the trainees, but for all in the community. Hows that mall coming? the off base community needs to wake up and cater to the base and quit mooching off it.
For $400 I'll cut the grass naked and they can all come out and watch! (please pass the word)
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
I was stationed here in 1980 and again in 1987.. there was nothing much here then. the resturants have gone down in quality( in general). you are right jcorn. other places I have been had a softball tournaments through the summer off base. the bars and resturaunts made a killing and a lot of people attended the games. many of the local businesses had teams and anyone on base that wanted to form a team could. it was great. the community is losing a ton of money  by not providing recreation other than the bars for the trainees here.
ya can't blame the idiot in the wh for everything.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
Well there you have it, the secret to fixing our economy is more sports games.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »
Rick, when you did all that work to get the county fair going, did you just think of rides and people looking at farm animals? the ripple effect. I think there may have been increased  sales in gas, motels. people may have gone to restaurants and not just eat fair food. The bars may have had some more business. the convenience stores probably had more business than usual. walmart and other stores may have had increased traffic. the ripple effect. the ball games was just one example. but as long as the only building is in housing while 100's are for sale. a lot of empty offices and stores along the spur.  It isn't just the trainees that are being ignored. the permanent part on and off base, AND the residents that have always lived here and those that retired here.
as long as the community doesn't care about the money going elsewhere from a captive audience, the community woes are the result their own short sightedness.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:43 AM »
No, I had actually brought the idea of a  monument park full of war memorials for all wars and branches while I served on the economic development board. This concept had taken over the state shed area in St. Robert and would be marketed by many billboards on the interstate etc., with museums and souvenir shops. The idea was a 1/8 cent sales tax to fund it and get people off the interstate. After the city of St. Robert shut down the sales tax idea, the board decided to go ahead with the downsized memorial that you now see at the Veterans cemetery. On that note I moved on..

The fair in my mind was to give children something to do, who knew we would be attacked by immature adults each year.. Never had one problem with the kids...

Rick, when you did all that work to get the county fair going, did you just think of rides and people looking at farm animals? the ripple effect. I think there may have been increased  sales in gas, motels. people may have gone to restaurants and not just eat fair food. The bars may have had some more business. the convenience stores probably had more business than usual. walmart and other stores may have had increased traffic. the ripple effect. the ball games was just one example. but as long as the only building is in housing while 100's are for sale. a lot of empty offices and stores along the spur.  It isn't just the trainees that are being ignored. the permanent part on and off base, AND the residents that have always lived here and those that retired here.
as long as the community doesn't care about the money going elsewhere from a captive audience, the community woes are the result their own short sightedness.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
this is why this place misses you.

great ideas and the willingness to do the work. But if there isn't support by the commisioners, chamber of commerce, economic developement board,etc. no progress.

the fort is being used as a scape goat for the ones that could improve the area, but are too lazy to do so. the loss of military/civilians at the force could be a lesser effect, if the area was better developed.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 01:18:50 AM »
Back on topic, in the long run the loss of these jobs will create a problem for Pulaski County government due to the loss of sales tax revenue. We operate way to close to the break even point as it is and a down turn will quickly be felt. Over the past 8 years that I tracked the sales tax figures we never had the down turn effect that other counties had to experience. We may not have had much of a raise in the sales tax figures over the past year but we did go up. One year I believe we brought in only $22,000 something more than the year before. Way to many county projects get hammered as it is and when we start a decline in the tax figures it will get worse.

It will not be a fun time to hold elected office in a growing Pulaski County.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »
Back on topic, in the long run the loss of these jobs will create a problem for Pulaski County government due to the loss of sales tax revenue. We operate way to close to the break even point as it is and a down turn will quickly be felt. Over the past 8 years that I tracked the sales tax figures we never had the down turn effect that other counties had to experience. We may not have had much of a raise in the sales tax figures over the past year but we did go up. One year I believe we brought in only $22,000 something more than the year before. Way to many county projects get hammered as it is and when we start a decline in the tax figures it will get worse.

It will not be a fun time to hold elected office in a growing Pulaski County.
My Opinion!....This county would grow much faster ifen ya-all would get off this "committee of fifty, ole boy, crap" and learn how to be cordial to new comers! If I'm told to do community service and so is the Judges cousin. And I do mine for some dude on his personal property and cuz doesn't do a minute of his.....its very disheartening! And when the first question asked by everyone is "Who are you related to?" Do I know you or your family? Way past time to mix up the gene pool around here! You should be elated to have a family move here that made it past the fifth grade and is willing to spread their seed amongst these freaks!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
that isn't the problem of keeping or attracting people/businesses here mark.

I remember a few  years ago, the director of the coc was busy getting business owners to come down to this area from elswhere in Mo. There was a perception that didn't fit the reality of the area. Maybe try to attract some of the firearm companies in other states that are no longer pro 2nd ammendment. Gov Rick Perry of texas is doing that. Industry is sorely needed here.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »
that isn't the problem of keeping or attracting people/businesses here mark.

I remember a few  years ago, the director of the coc was busy getting business owners to come down to this area from elswhere in Mo. There was a perception that didn't fit the reality of the area. Maybe try to attract some of the firearm companies in other states that are no longer pro 2nd ammendment. Gov Rick Perry of texas is doing that. Industry is sorely needed here.
I would agree we need business, but it takes people to start those businesses. If people are treated differently because their not in the "fifty" or not your relative then its a huge turn off!
~Teilhard de Chardin