Author Topic: Do owners of rental proberty have any rights.  (Read 2185 times)

Offline DUANE4043

• View Profile
Do owners of rental proberty have any rights.
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I own a house on Hampton drive off hwy 28. It is a rental house. Last week the renters moved out so I put the utilities back in my name and changed all the locks. (They moved out)
We live in Jeff City as I work for the State.

This morning I get a call from a neighbor that they (renters who moved) were back in the house last night and this morning. They had to break in because the locks were changed.

I called to report it and a deputy stated it was a civil manner and there was nothing he could do. I asked if he could at least drive by and see what damage was done and he stated he was at lunch and no he would not go over there, it was a civil matter. I then asked if he would make an incident report and he stated no.

I then called him a D--- and hung up. I then called a supervisor and was told a car would be sent over to the house.

How can they have the right to break into a house that they moved out of. They had all the utilities turned off and took everything out of the house.

The local police refuse to do anything about it.

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
Re: Do owners of rental proberty have any rights.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
There has to be something a homeowner can do against something like this.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline mikrzy55

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
Did you ever get an officer to show up???

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
Did you get the deputy's name?  Should have just said someone has broken into your house I guess. They weren't renters anymore.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline DUANE4043

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
The supervisor did send a partol car out. They could not find anything wrong with the place. We are going down there tonight after work.

Offline DUANE4043

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
What upset me was the deputies tone and attitude. It was as if, who was I to bother him with such a thing during his lunch. His tone was rude and unprofessional, which in turn turned mine ugly. I have a degree in criminal justice so I know a little bit about the law. I still feel that a tenant that moves out and turns all the utilities off, has no right to be back at the property. Heck, if that was the case I rented a house 20 years ago, think I will go back and hang out!!!!

GRRRRRRRRR. Ellvan Markley

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:43 AM »
First, please call Sheriff Long and let him know about your experience.  I know he would like to know.

Secondly, your question about the tenants is a little complicated.  Was the lease up?  Did you do an eviction?  Did they still have property located in the house when you changed the locks?  How long have them been out?  I am sorry to ask so many questions but because this involves tenants, it is complicated.

Kevin
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:07:07 AM »
As a former landlord myself I learned to ignore the law and defend my property from destruction. If you listen to the law you just might get lucky and have to replace every water line in the home or worse..

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
I had my rental home destroyed by someone who lived there, she was months behind on rent and even gave a set day she was going to be out, but the day come and she hadn't left and then was told that I still could not do anything cause I didn't get it in writing. So I had to give her an eviction notice for 30 days to vacate my property, so I done my as I was instructed to do and we were set a court day and we went to court and the judge then told her with all that she had put us through he wasn't giving her 30 days he was only giving her 10 days. She was dumb enough to ask the judge what would happen if she wasn't out in the 10 days and he plainly told her that if she wasn't for me to call them back and tell the sheriff department what he said and they would come and help me throw her stuff out. Bad part is once she was out I went in and checked the place and she and her person who helped her move out knocked holes in every wall and even busted a hole in the floor next to the toilet and left cats in the house to destroy carpets so I had to take her back to court for the cost of all the repairs and the judge wasn't happy once he see the pictures of the home, so I also won that case against her. Now after these years of her not paying and not wanting to give me information on where her now ex husband works to pay for the damages I had found out she got a job so I now have put in for garnishment against her wages. So If you have a lease with them and you don't have it in writing from them on the day they were to be out then no honestly as I was told you have no rights, that you have to go through the eviction notice way.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline DUANE4043

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
Thank you all for your responce. Did not get back earlier because we were in the area cleaning and repairing the proberty. Mr. Hillman thank you for your responce also. I will consider it a lesson learned. Our new rental agreement is 15 pages long. :)

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 06:16:35 AM »
I actually like my renters and leave them alone~