Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Springfield 911 to ask for 1/8th cent sales tax. We have a 1/4 cent here.  (Read 27140 times)

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I don't know, but I will check on that. I do think that would be an error for our citizens welfare. I do not think 911 is over-funded at all. I think that would place citizens in danger.

You make good and sensible post Just_a_Biker.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What happens when the building is paid off? How long is the note? They will spend it all, so as to not lose face, I am sure. I have absolutely no doubt that they are spending every dime as they know what their income is, and absolutely have to see to it there are no surpluses. If they were to have a surplus that would look bad, now wouldn't it? It is a fact they have probably put their selves in a position to now need to have that income due to having built the building, but, there will come a time when they have way, way too much money. That time is fast approaching. Where is their budget? I'd like to see it, actually I'd like to see an expense report more.

Ghost, you are thinking property taxes. They can be rolled back, not sales tax. You cannot roll back a sales tax. You can sunset it, but you can't roll it back like you do property tax.

That aside, they have to pay payroll, payroll taxes, insurance, work. comp. etc. The money they make from 1/4 cent will just barely cover that along with the building payment. 

Their budget is far less than the sheriff's. That is what I mean by incorrect information. The sheriff has about a 1.2 million dollar budget. The 911 about half of that (if that much, I'm not sure, I'll try to find out).

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
How is that different from the sheriffs? Which, I'm only saying them as the obvious, because that is who you strongly support. That could apply to anyone, including our government, Fort Leonard Wood, the schools.... And, by-the-way, a little surplus in an emergency fund, for capital replacements is in fact a wise and fiscally responsible plan. Think about it Rick, if people would have been wiser and if we had a replacement fund for cars, JB could have new cars coming in to replace old ones (a plan I strongly advocated when I was a commissioner).  I just think 911 has superior management...and had superior planning and vision in the beginning...sorry Rick, I hope you don't ban me.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
LOL, Ban you?

The sheriff doesn't have the luxury to have a surplus, 911 does.

If the sheriff ever gets too much money, you can count on me pointing it out.

What will 911 do with just the extra money Lowes will supply?

I'd bet money 911 could roll back to a third cent for now, refinance the building and still have a surplus.

I'd almost bet everything I own that they wouldn't ever consider any of this.

Darrel Daily Guide, have you seen a budget? Where can we get it?

How is that different from the sheriffs? Which, I'm only saying them as the obvious, because that is who you strongly support. That could apply to anyone, including our government, Fort Leonard Wood, the schools.... And, by-the-way, a little surplus in an emergency fund, for capital replacements is in fact a wise and fiscally responsible plan. Think about it Rick, if people would have been wiser and if we had a replacement fund for cars, JB could have new cars coming in to replace old ones (a plan I strongly advocated when I was a commissioner).  I just think 911 has superior management...and had superior planning and vision in the beginning...sorry Rick, I hope you don't ban me.

Offline ghost_of_notsniw

• View Profile
Rick, a simple FOIA request to 911 will do it.  You can ask for anything and everything they have.

Offline ab1999

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Ghost, you are thinking property taxes. They can be rolled back, not sales tax. You cannot roll back a sales tax. You can sunset it, but you can't roll it back like you do property tax.

That aside, they have to pay payroll, payroll taxes, insurance, work. comp. etc. The money they make from 1/4 cent will just barely cover that along with the building payment. 

Their budget is far less than the sheriff's. That is what I mean by incorrect information. The sheriff has about a 1.2 million dollar budget. The 911 about half of that (if that much, I'm not sure, I'll try to find out).

Careful Gary or you'll be in the negative karma like me.  I agree with all you've said.  Keep providng the facts.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
911 has sales tax revenue of $880,024.66.  They spent $882,857.11.  They also get another $1,752.50 for doing the MULES.

I won't list all their expenditures, but I have looked it over and it seems reasonable to me.  Of course the monthly fee that they pay Embarq of $4,579.60 will be going up as soon as Embarq puts the routeing in for the Big Piney area. 

They also had the foresight to carry contracts on all the equipment, so it is updated every 3 years and their software also gets updated regularly.  They pay extra for this but it prevents major expenses in the future as they won't wind up having to replace everything in order to keep up with technology.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and figure out what it would take to do the same thing for the Sheriff's dept.  It might make it an easier decision for the Commissioners and residents, if we had a realistic figure and budget that would allow for the same planning and foresight that went into 911.  Some of the money that is needed might also come from Grants if someone could do the research on that.

I am not casting blame on anyone regarding this issue.  It has been an ongoing problem for years as far as I know. 

It is a shame that J.B. and the Commissioners can't get together and appoint a knowlegeble committee that they are both comfortable with, to research all of this and come up with what it would take to fix it and prevent it from ever getting this way again.  Even if it could only be fixed one small item at a time, at least it would be some progress.

Offline fyretr

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Ghost, as I said earlier, I think we would need to review the E911 budget before jumping to this conclusion.  Maybe a luxury purchase in your opinion, or mine for that matter, really isn't a luxury at all, but rather a necessity.  I'll throw out a hypothetical example; lets say E911 pays $900 for three dispatcher chairs.  You may view that as a luxury, but I do not.  $300 for an office chair that someone sits in less than 8 hours per day could be considered a luxury (in my opinion), but a GOOD (notice I said GOOD, NOT great) dispatcher chair can easily run well over $1,000 EACH, because they are designed to be utilized 24/7.  That example is COMPLETELY hypothetical, I have no idea what E911 pays for their chairs, or anything else for that matter, just wanted to throw out something that would raise some eyebrows of the general public, but not necessarily those who are involved in, or extremely familiar with Emergency Services.

Crazy Horse, correct me if I'm wrong, but IF it is decided that the E911 sales tax IS in fact excessive, can't there be a vote for say a 1/8 cent tax that will repeal the 1/4 cent tax in the same way the sales tax repealed the telephone tariff?

So Would the Expidition that the 911 director drives back and forth to work, as well as everywhere else a "luxury item" or a nessicary operating expense. I could see if thay actually used it but they make Art drive the old Jeep around the county to do the addressing. Dont get me wrong, Im sure the director has many meetings and other social engagements to attend but I am almost sure they are not held at the ballfields of the county, evans supermarket, or her childs ballet recitals. Is this a missappropriation??????????????????????

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The public is the one most at fault here, because they want the services but are not will to vote for the sales tax measures that would fund those services in such a way that such services can afford the up to date equipment and personel neccessary to provide adequate services for the county. 

I believe that part of the failure of these measures is due to lack of information and understanding of what it takes to run these departments, such as Fire, Law Enforcement, etc. 

Low property taxes, lower cost of living, and lower State Income Tax rates are some of the reasons people move here from other states.  Believe me when I say I would rather have a sales tax increase to pay for the needed services than a property tax increase.  The sales tax distributes the costs amongest everyone, where a property tax puts the burden solely on the home owners.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile

So Would the Expidition that the 911 director drives back and forth to work, as well as everywhere else a "luxury item" or a nessicary operating expense. ... Im sure the director has many meetings and other social engagements to attend but I am almost sure they are not held at the ballfields of the county, evans supermarket, or her childs ballet recitals. Is this a missappropriation??????????????????????
That's a very good question, one that should be posed to the E911 Board...  If I had to guess I would say, contrary to popular opinion, that it is "authorized" for the simple fact that the vehicle is meant to be a "Mobile Command Post" in case of emergency; therefore she must have access 24/7 so she can leave from dance recitals, the supermarket, ball fields, etc. to set up the "Mobile Command Post" in case of an emergency...  I don't KNOW this to be fact, but I would bet a fair amount of money that is the case... Not saying I completely agree with it, but it all depends on what the vehicle is designated for.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
  Believe me when I say I would rather have a sales tax increase to pay for the needed services than a property tax increase.  The sales tax distributes the costs amongest everyone, where a property tax puts the burden solely on the home owners.

Agree with you Law!  The other thing people don't realize is how much tax revenue is generated from a SALES TAX that WE as citizens of Pulaski County aren't paying...  Think about all the people on the Fort that purchase things off post... think of all the visitors to the area that are not residents, but they buy things... those are all pennies that WE as citizens of Pulaski County "save"... just so long as we don't go hog wild with sales tax nobody will really even notice a difference...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
And it still goes unanswered. I was right wasn't I? I will add to that I hear employees get a dollar every year raise at 911, while the police get what?

None the less, what obscene amount of money will 911 get once Lowe's is up and running? Eventually you will all come to understand they have too much money. I don't care who does not like it, it is a fact, and will only get more obscene in the future. Attack my opinion all you want, but someday you will realize I am right. I think they have such a surplus of money that they have equipment, and software they aren't even trained well enough to operate. Please someone prove my suspicions wrong. Your turn. Wheres the global positioning we were promised? It was on its way two years ago, last I heard. I don't mind eating crow, please someone prove me wrong.

I have nothing personal against anyone at 911, for that matter I don't even know anyone at 911 well. It may be unpopular to say what I am saying, but I believe I am right, others agree with me, and I have the cojones to say so.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
And to date they have yet to use the command vehicles as a command vehicle, even when they droped the ball during the ice storms.

COWBOY

But it works well for shopping, transporting kids and low gas milage

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Rick, of course you know I always come on here and support 9-1-1, and one of the few things I disagree with you on. I think it is one of the most life-saving and valuable services. It was well planned and formed by the people. A lot of thought and hard work went into it's formation, and most of all...it was done with full and complete transparency and one of the few organizations actually founded in modern times...with and by "the people." Nothing clandestine at all. It is not over funded at all. Would you like to go over there one day with me and meet the dispatchers. Maybe sat through a few hours on a hectic night and see what they do? I think that could be arranged, but I'm not sure. I can ask. I know we can go over for a visit, I'll have to check with Michelle regarding how long you could stay. I can tell you, when a fire, ambulance call and numerous police calls come in; which frequently happens...it is unbelievable, you talking about stress, and I am a veteran paramedic. These dispatcher deserve every penny they get, and trust me, just like our deputies, our police, my paramedics...they deserve a lot more. Come go with me Rick. We need to visit anyway.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They are an essential part of our emergency services and are doing a great job.  We recently had a 911 hangup call here in the Big Piney area.  It turned out to be nothing but the PCSD was notified and dispatched to check it out.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Ahh, Lois Rick just likes to get me going, hahaha. So, I have to aggravate him back. This is old, almost as old as this site, us debating back and forth over this subject. I enjoy visiting with Rick and it gives us something to kick around.

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
Well I thought I'd drop by and see what threads are still running.

I now live in Howell County lmao and It's just the reverse here. The SD has plenty (if it's possible) of funding and is having to help keep E911 from drowning. But seems the SD has the same problem as 911 in Pulaski county. The Sheriff likes all the fancy Toys like the big huge NY style swat command RV.Doesn't compare of course to an Expedtion .

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
Well I thought I'd drop by and see what threads are still running.

I now live in Howell County lmao and It's just the reverse here. The SD has plenty (if it's possible) of funding and is having to help keep E911 from drowning. But seems the SD has the same problem as 911 in Pulaski county. The Sheriff likes all the fancy Toys like the big huge NY style swat command RV.Doesn't compare of course to an Expedtion .

Do they have a LE Tax in place in Howell County?

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
I'm not for sure. Headed to West Plains today and the court house as a matter of fact so I'll ask. The main problem here is the Sheriff is more of a politician than a law man.  The Democrat that lost to the current sheriff lost just for that fact. Would have been the better choice but it's a republican county. Well it we be election time soon enough and lets hope the folks down here have had enough of the baby kissing and want law enforcement.

Makes me miss JB something awful.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't have any doubt that the dispatchers don't work hard or deserve the money they earn. That's not the point.

Rick, of course you know I always come on here and support 9-1-1, and one of the few things I disagree with you on. I think it is one of the most life-saving and valuable services. It was well planned and formed by the people. A lot of thought and hard work went into it's formation, and most of all...it was done with full and complete transparency and one of the few organizations actually founded in modern times...with and by "the people." Nothing clandestine at all. It is not over funded at all. Would you like to go over there one day with me and meet the dispatchers. Maybe sat through a few hours on a hectic night and see what they do? I think that could be arranged, but I'm not sure. I can ask. I know we can go over for a visit, I'll have to check with Michelle regarding how long you could stay. I can tell you, when a fire, ambulance call and numerous police calls come in; which frequently happens...it is unbelievable, you talking about stress, and I am a veteran paramedic. These dispatcher deserve every penny they get, and trust me, just like our deputies, our police, my paramedics...they deserve a lot more. Come go with me Rick. We need to visit anyway.

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
Rick where are you questioning how hard the dispatchers work or how important the service is ?

Oh wait your not ! Why does it always get turned into that? It's all about the spending .   LOL

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That's Gary Carmack spin. LOL

Rick where are you questioning how hard the dispatchers work or how important the service is ?

Oh wait your not ! Why does it always get turned into that? It's all about the spending .   LOL

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Heck, I'm just trying to get Rick over there, thought he might spring for lunch, hahaha.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
Re: Springfield 911 to ask for 1/8th cent sales tax. We have a 1/4 cent here.
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2008, 01:50:12 AM »
I'm not for sure. Headed to West Plains today and the court house as a matter of fact so I'll ask. The main problem here is the Sheriff is more of a politician than a law man.  The Democrat that lost to the current sheriff lost just for that fact. Would have been the better choice but it's a republican county. Well it we be election time soon enough and lets hope the folks down here have had enough of the baby kissing and want law enforcement.

Makes me miss JB something awful.

Hey there Inside Out, I am still here but I did hear that Sheriff Robbie Crites, Howell Co. has already announced he will not refile for the job. Is that correct?

JB

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
Re: Springfield 911 to ask for 1/8th cent sales tax. We have a 1/4 cent here.
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2008, 05:11:58 AM »
Yes, Not sure but I think rumor has it he is going to run for another political office. Thats not the offical word. But thats the rumor mill.
The other rumor is that A Huddleston not sure on the spelling is going to run. Jim Dykes is another possible and Mike Ironhorse Iron Clad Something on that order.

I will say i'm not sure i'd want that job after that Prisoner transport accident. I have a feeling that one is going to turn ugly.

Well I'm back in the area to work. So i'm back in Pulaski County. Nice to see Sherriff patrol cars patroling again.