Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: EMBEZZLEMENT theft at Waynesville School District ?????  (Read 6487 times)

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
EMBEZZLEMENT theft at Waynesville School District ?????
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:47:45 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I find it odd that this theft that was in the thousands of dollars has literally been swept under the rug.  Equally distressing is other criminals are being prosecuted for so much as writing a bad check(s), yet this individual will most likely never see the interior of a court room and receive punishment for their crime.  This is disgusting on many levels.  Kevin, I had posted about this from time to time and your response is always that it was turned over to another jurisdiction.  Wow....  does this not bother anyone other than me? 

Kevin your own words..... “These sentences send a strong message that criminal behavior will not be tolerated in Pulaski County,” said Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman. ...   

I guess it depends on who it is doesn't it?

yeah whatever~*

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
Re: EMBEZZLEMENT theft at Waynesville School District ?????
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
I would think that stealing tax payer money would be off more importance.  I guess with obama administration trying to redistribute the wealth this is an acceptable crime.   How long has it been now 3 years and nothing.

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »
Cowboy...

You would think wouldn't you?  There is a wide schism in this county & surrounding area when it comes to prosecution of crime(s).  A lot depends on who you are, etc.  The fact that this individual stole thousands & thousands of dollars from our school district, our children, the taxpayers MEANS NOTHING to those that are 'investigating' it.  I'm sure that most likely the person involved was allowed to quietly make some sort of restitution of the monies in question & the authorities will most likely hope & pray that this just slowly dies on the vine.  Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh quiet.  Let's hope that the good citizens of Pulaski County forget all about it right? 

Now let us focus on all the other folks out there that are doing similar crimes involving money/theft.  The ones writing bad checks to local businesses which is also a theft of goods/monies.  They get their fannies handed to them by our local establishment.  They ARE held accountable for their actions even though their theft of goods/monies PALE in comparison to what this individual stole.  PALE IN COMPARISON.  They too, have to make full restitution for the money.  However the caveat is that THEY ARE PROSECUTED.  They have a criminal history.  They do not get afforded special consideration/treatment/handling. 

Yeah....  right.  Thoroughly & utterly DISGUSTING. 

I didn't forget.  I won't forget.  I am hoping that there are several others in Pulaski County that won't forget as well. 

We are watching & waiting. 
yeah whatever~*

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »
Keep bringing it to light. If enough people are talking about it, something will have to be done.

I have also heard rumors of the construction of St. Robert fire station has been postponed due to funds being misplaced...
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline Todd S. Williams

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
I am not sure where you heard the rumor about the Fire Department funds being misplaced.  That is not correct.  The reason the Fire Department is not being constructed at this time is that the City simply cannot afford to pay for one.

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:54:50 PM »
Why did they tear the office portion down if the city could not afford to have the new one built?
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 04:01:42 AM »
...... as usual    *crickets*
yeah whatever~*

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:01:51 AM »
I am sorry for not answering this sooner, I was not aware it was here. Thanks to Darrell for pointing it out to me.

This case arose from an audit conducted by the school district.  The auditor estimated a loss amount they believed may have been suffered.  The audit report was turned over to my office for possible criminal charges  However, the audit report was not sufficient to initiate a criminal prosecution in my opinion because it was mostly based on estimations and a criminal prosecution would need verified amounts with documentation.  My office does not have an investigator, nor does any agency in Pulaski County, with the expertise necessary to do this type of investigation.  The Attorney General's Office does have a section with investigators with the proper qualifications to do a white collar crime type of investigation.  I coordinated with them to ensure that this was a case they would take, and they agreed. That was my first reason to turn it over to the AG's office, so it could be properly investigated.

The second reason was in the past, in my capacity as city attorney, I had worked with the subject of the investigation and that person's spouse.  My children also attend Waynesville Schools.  I also believed that this case had become hyper political and whatever action I took, my past dealings/relationship with he subject would be called into question. Because there may be an appearance of a conflict of interest, I made a motion for a special prosecutor to be appointed and suggested the AG's office be appointed.  Judge Storie agreed with my motion and appointed a special prosecutor and appointed the AG's office.  At that point, this investigation and prosecution became the AG Office's case and I was not permitted to be involved.

After the AG's Office conducted their investigation, they determined not to file any charges.  I do not know why, you will need to ask them.  I suspect the records were not kept in order that allowed them to prove what amount, if anything, was taken.  However, they did not tell me and I do not know to this day. They only told me they were not filing charges. A citizen could easily do a Sunshine Act request to see what records the AG's Office has if they wanted.

I do take issue that somehow this case was covered up or someone paid something off.  As far as I know, that did not happen.  I do believe that the school district's insurance carrier did pay a claim covering much of the estimated loss and most of any restitution would be owed to the insurance company.  The case, as it was presented to me, was not ready for charges to be filed.  I requested a higher authority, the AG's Office, to take over.  I fail to see how a referral to a higher state agency for investigation was somehow covering this up. 

I will also take issue that the subject of this investigation received some sort of special treatment from me.  If anything, I elevated the case to a higher authority over what I would do with a normal case.  I am confident that I was correct to elevate it to the State level because of the sensitivity of this case and the politics involved.

I have heard a lot of rumors, incorrect facts, wild amounts, and all sorts of other things about this case during the entire process.  The bottom line is the case was referred to a State agency for a proper investigation.  That State agency declined to prosecute the case after their investigation.  I am pretty sure the Attorney General was not paid off or swayed by the "good old boy" system.

As to my prosecution of other cases.  I am not going to apologize for aggressively, but fairly, prosecuting criminal cases in this County.  That is what I was elected to do and will continue to do so. 

I hope that answers your questions as to this case any what happened to it.

Kevin Hillman
Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline Todd S. Williams

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:30:24 AM »
The old portion of the Fire Station was torn down because it was condemned and not safe for the Firefighters to use or stay.

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »
"I do believe that the school district's insurance carrier did pay a claim covering much of the estimated loss and most of any restitution would be owed to the insurance company.  The case, as it was presented to me, was not ready for charges to be filed.  I requested a higher authority, the AG's Office, to take over.  I fail to see how a referral to a higher state agency for investigation was somehow covering this up.  " 

THOSE WORDS say so much.  Insurance companies are not in the business of paying claims when they can get out of it ....in fact, most of the time they will fight tooth & nail to deny payment on a claim even if it has merit.  So what are we supposed to believe?  To your knowledge the ins. company covered the theft? 

OR

" This case arose from an audit conducted by the school district.  The auditor estimated a loss amount they believed may have been suffered.  The audit report was turned over to my office for possible criminal charges  However, the audit report was not sufficient to initiate a criminal prosecution in my opinion because it was mostly based on estimations and a criminal prosecution would need verified amounts with documentation. " 

I do think a Sunshine request should be made so this whole debacle can see the light of day.  Every citizen in Pulaski County who ever runs afoul the law is trotted out for public consumption in the media under the guise of innocent until proven guilty BUT none the less their purported transgressions are for public consumption regardless.  Why is this not the same for the person responsible for this transgression?  Why are they afforded the anonymity for what ever reason (fill in the blank).  I also find it hard to believe that any agency responsible for possible prosecution would refrain from doing so based on lack of record keeping when the person responsible for the transgression in the first place would of been instrumental in SAID record keeping to keep their theft covered up.  That is somewhat ludicrous wouldn't you say?  Oh.....  we don't have enough evidence because the person responsible did an excellent job (somewhat) of hiding their theft.  Really?  I mean REALLY? ...oh that makes it ok.  No biggie..... 

My anger over choosing not to prosecute a former public servant does not mean that I think similar crimes should be allowed to go un-prosecuted.  Two wrongs don't make a right, however, public servants are held to a higher standard.  You rely on the criminal to provide you with the records necessary to investigate them and hold them accountable??  That totally makes no sense and is ludicrous.  The fact that the ins company PAID the claim speaks volumes.  I would like to think that the citizens of Pulaski Co. WOULD want to know what is going on and what happened.  I would also like to think that there would be fair and equitable reporting of this investigation as I indicated earlier. 

We shouldn't have to rely on the SUNSHINE LAW to make an investigation of a public servant, paid by tax payer money, who STOLE from our school district, in order to have a transparent investigation.  Tax payers and our children deserve better.   

I have never seen this persons name on any of 'your lists' that you regularly publish for alleged infractions of the law in Pulaski Co.   Why is this?  Again, why should any citizen have to utilize the SUNSHINE LAW and dance around the proverbial bush to afford this individual their anonymity. 
yeah whatever~*

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:54:20 AM »
How is it that you know so much about this case?  Have you seen any of the evidence?  If not, then how in the world do you have any idea of what I looked at and then the AG's office looked at.  I have not even seen what the AG's Office report said after they did their investigation so I am pretty sure you haven't either. 

Or, are you basing your accusations of my corruption on rumors and crap you have read on Facebook or on the internet?  I really can't understand how I am corrupt and covering something up when I had a special prosecutor appointed and referred a case to the AG's Office for investigation.

Perhaps you are most upset because the outcome was not what you wanted so that you could use them for your own political purposes.  That is exactly one of the reasons that I referred this case to an agency outside of Pulaski County, so politics would not be one of the considerations whether to charge a crime or not. Charging someone for political reasons is one of the most repugnant things a prosecutor can do.  Again, this is a prime reason I sent this case to the AG's Office, to take the politics out of it. 

I do not publish names of people I do not charge with crimes.  I also do not publish names of people that the Attorney General does not charge with a crime.  Again, please feel free to ask the AG's office why they chose not to charge this case. I had zero involvement in that decision.  I can't provide you an answer because I did not make the decision. 

I am encouraging you to use the Sunshine Act because that is the tool citizens have to keep track of what elected officials are doing.  In this case, you have alleged that somehow I am corrupt and covered up a crime.  I say, feel free to use the tools the law provides to prove it.  I guarantee you will find that I referred this case to the AG's office just like I have said over and over again. 

Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
OK take a case where a PC statement is given to the PA who actually know the suspect, here are your options;

1. The PA is a friend of the suspect and will cover up the crime

2. The PA hates the suspect and despite the fact the PC statement has no legal weight the PA charges the suspect with a sky-high charge

Your choice of option 1 or 2 will most likely depend on how YOU view the suspect

Oh wait option 3, turn the damn case over to a higher authority who has STATEWIDE jurisdiction and let them handle.

Offline DUANE4043

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »
I dont think I would have even responded. OMG, your office did not even hanlde the case. Oh, wait! The coverup goes all the way to Jeff City, No wait!! I bet the Feds even had something to do with covering it up.  :poke:

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
I dont think I would have even responded. OMG, your office did not even hanlde the case. Oh, wait! The coverup goes all the way to Jeff City, No wait!! I bet the Feds even had something to do with covering it up.  :poke:

You are correct, my office did not do the investigation. However I am also a citizen of the county/city in question so now that I cannot be accused of looking for votes I would like to think I can still say what is on my mind. In this case I have been told who the "officer" was who did the "investigation" and I am not a fan of his work efforts. If I find out later that my source was wrong on the ID of the officer I will also post that info.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 02:34:19 AM »
retirement gets better everyday, eh JB!

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
retirement gets better everyday, eh JB!

Well let's see, there were the 3 broken bones in Jan. of 2014, followed by a six procedure shoulder surgery in May of 2014, and oh ya the cardiac incident on the last day of October 2014. Right now I feel good just to be responding to your remarks. I have been working two complex investigations in between the doc meets and the cases are not moving along very fast. But all in all retirement is pretty good. The only real bad note is that I cannot get it through Ron's head that I am not interested in taking over the supervision of the jail. He offers me the job almost every time we meet. And if you read this Ron the answer is still NO!

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 01:47:05 AM »
Given all the yrs in LE, you are probably in pretty good shape. It sounds like your workload is much less than it was.  Staying busy always helps, but don't forget to Enjoy your retirement!

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
Yup, I even snuck in a fishing trip and some travel. I sure DO NOT miss the problems associated with being the big bad sheriff.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »
The reason the office portion of the old fire station was torn down is because it was not structurally safe and did not have good air quality.  Living and working conditions for our firefighters was hazardous. 
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!