Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Aquatic Park?  (Read 10364 times)

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
Aquatic Park?
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Did I read in last Friday's paper that they are now going to build an actual Acquatic Park in Waynesville and not just a Splash Pool?   Boy, I sure hope so. 

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Park?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
St. Robert's Mayor needs to get off his butt and try to work with the Waynesville Mayor on this.  Read an article in the paper today looks like he is against it.  Mayor Saunders, WE NEED SOME KIND OF POOL!!  How many times do we hear people say there is nothing here.  I personally like the idea of an indoor facility that could be used year round for exercise and parties, but would settle for a real nice aquatic park like the one in Rolla for instance.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »
There IS an aquatic park...it's called the Big Piney.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
I hope so have you seen the "splash thing" they built down there.  It's laughable thats for sure.  It absolutely needs to be bigger and have other things such as a pool.

They sold the people of Waynesville as this was going to be equivalent to splash zone in Rolla.  It's nowhere NEAR what Rolla has.  It's like an over sized sprinkler.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »
Blissfully, You have missed some of the coverage on the sprayground.  It was never intended to be a "Splash Zone" or to take the place of a pool.  It was a plan to offer entertainment to the smaller kids in the park, while we work on the much bigger project of an aquatic center.  This sprayground facility costs around $200,000 and we were able to pay for it out of capital improvement tax dollars.  We didn't have to ask for extra monies.  We never misrepresented what we were doing there.  It should be open in March through September each year and hopefully, will be a lot of fun for the younger kids.

An aquatic center will be a different animal.  It will probably cost $2 million to have something like Rolla's Splash Zone and it will mean that the people will have to be involved to help pay for it and make a decision about the funding.  We are meeting to begin this initiative shortly and updates should be in the papers.  We should be putting together a couple of designs and then having public meetings for input.  Keep your ears open, we will be getting information out and I will try to always put it on here.   Thanks, Luge

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:03:42 PM »
Blissfully, You have missed some of the coverage on the sprayground.  It was never intended to be a "Splash Zone" or to take the place of a pool.  It was a plan to offer entertainment to the smaller kids in the park, while we work on the much bigger project of an aquatic center.  This sprayground facility costs around $200,000 and we were able to pay for it out of capital improvement tax dollars.  We didn't have to ask for extra monies.  We never misrepresented what we were doing there.  It should be open in March through September each year and hopefully, will be a lot of fun for the younger kids.

An aquatic center will be a different animal.  It will probably cost $2 million to have something like Rolla's Splash Zone and it will mean that the people will have to be involved to help pay for it and make a decision about the funding.  We are meeting to begin this initiative shortly and updates should be in the papers.  We should be putting together a couple of designs and then having public meetings for input.  Keep your ears open, we will be getting information out and I will try to always put it on here.   Thanks, Luge
Luge $200,000 seems like a whole of money
for what a few garden hose's and sprinklers could do don't you think? ((*(*&    j/k
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:15 AM »

Well apparently I did miss some of the information published.  I guess the person on the parks and rec board was mis-informed as well.  They were the one that told a group of us what is was going to be.  Were they even part of the process?  Perhaps that's where the confusion started. I suppose I should have checked the facts before posting this.  I was just throughly disappointed with what was built for the money that was spent on it.  Especially right next to the eye sore of the old pool.    I know you all are trying Luge, but I never saw anything published about what it was going to look like, not saying it wasn't, I'm just saying I never saw it and would have commented on it had I.
Women are Angels

Offline soso

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 01:15:39 AM »
It looks like something you would put in your back yard for the kids to play in......It is soooo small...
"Life should NOT be a  journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving  safely in  an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather to skid in   sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly  used up, totally worn  out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Author Unknown

Offline laciesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 02:24:39 AM »
Well that might take care of the kids from the age of 2 to 4 but what about all the others.  Even stretching it to 6 still makes for a very limited age group.  That seems like a lot of money to make that small of a group of citizens happy! JMO

Real love stories never have endings.
Richard Bach

Offline soso

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 02:30:30 AM »
 (((((
"Life should NOT be a  journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving  safely in  an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather to skid in   sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly  used up, totally worn  out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Author Unknown

Offline cayteaka

• Today is a gift, tomorrow is a blessing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 03:21:15 AM »
Well as far as recreation goes Waynesville is trying to do more for its citizens than St Robert is. They have nice parks and the members of the parks board do their best to make improvements and if things must be done in stages then why not start with the little ones? If they made a huge pool or geared things for older people then the community would be upset because the little ones were left out. Does anyone remember what happened when they had to close down the kiddie pool. People got irate at that decision. If people want to be angry then be angry at the contractors and suppliers in this area that charge a ton of money just because of the building boom around here. I am not picking on all of you but those business people know who they are.

Offline laciesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 03:51:29 AM »
Well as far as recreation goes Waynesville is trying to do more for its citizens than St Robert is. They have nice parks and the members of the parks board do their best to make improvements and if things must be done in stages then why not start with the little ones? If they made a huge pool or geared things for older people then the community would be upset because the little ones were left out. Does anyone remember what happened when they had to close down the kiddie pool. People got irate at that decision. If people want to be angry then be angry at the contractors and suppliers in this area that charge a ton of money just because of the building boom around here. I am not picking on all of you but those business people know who they are.
I am not angry at all, I was just stating my opinion.  I just feel for 200,000 dollars we could have done more for kids of all ages.  Really what is here for teenagers to do?  They can participate in sports at a school level, and the younger ones have all the local league sports to play in.  But when they are out of school just what is in the area for them to do?  They could go to the theater, but have you checked the price of that lately.  Believe me to take a family of 5, once a month would be difficult for families on a average income.  I think of all kids because my grandchildren run in age 23 to 4.  I really don't care about what St. Robert has or doesn't have as I don't live there, but I really do care when the city spends 200,000 dollars on such a small group of citizens.  Yes, I am sure parents were upset when they closed the kiddie pool, as a parent and grandparent I am sure I would too.  I have been here for 24 years so I am sure it happened during that time but still.......what about all the other kids looking for a good wet time!!!!!
Real love stories never have endings.
Richard Bach

Offline cayteaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 02:50:04 PM »
Yes, I do agree with you that the teens have nothing to do and it does not benefit me because I have no little ones. Mine are all preteen or teenagers. I just keep them active in the church during the summer and they go to different camps their fav being the church camp in Buckhorn. Although I am active in what they do, I also know they are getting to an age where they need independence and do some of these activities on their own. That is why I don't think it is bad to have something built first for the little ones.

Even though they do have sports for the little ones I know for a fact that not all kids are in to sports and some could care less about playing. As for St Robert, (even though I do live in this City), until recently they have never made it priority to make parks or walking trails or anything for family entertainment and if they did and it was something your kids or grandkids were interested in or would benefit from I am sure they would travel to the area to use it. We take an interest in what all the local towns have to offer. One of my kids fav parks has always been Richland and we used to go there often when they were younger. By the way unless something has happened in the last year or two both Crocker and Richland have swimming pools.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »
Yeah we went to Crocker at least once a week to go swimming.  They have a nice pool there.  And a great kiddie pool for the little ones.
Women are Angels

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
Crocker and Richland and Rolla yes all have nice parks and pools but I pay taxes in St. Robert and I want nice things here.  I don't want to have to drive out of town to entertain my grandsons.  There isn't even a nice park.  Sure they have the playground but not trees or grass.  Waynesville park is very nice, I take my grandsons there in the summer. As I said before, Mr. Saunders, you need to do all you can to cooperate with Waynesville and the School District to get a aquatic center built.  It will save St. Robert money in the long run.  We could probably not afford to do it on our own, take the offer that is being given to you.  DEAL OR NO DEAL, I say DEAL

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
The st robert community center needs a re-vamp too.  decent location for something, pleanty of clear land to the east of it by missouri ave.  great centralized location.  get with the plan please :-)

Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »
We have to give credit to the fire department and other volunteers that the Community Center looks as good as it does now.  It used to be a real dump and they did some remodeling.  It looks a lot better, but I wonder too why they don't do somthing with that big lot on the corner.  I would like a walking trail that isn't next to the busiest road in Pulaski County for one.  Yep, I know Waynesville has one but we are talking about St. Robert.

Offline cayteaka

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »
I absolutely agree. It is time that St Robert do something to be geared more for families, but I guess I just got used to the idea that the restaurants and Walmart are in St Robert and that Waynesville is more family and community oriented.

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
Well, I guess you all read the news this morning.  St. Robert is not cooperating with Waynesville to build an aquatic park.  I read their reason and I think it is a bunch of BS.  St. Robert will never build a pool, aquatic park or anything else for children.  They are waiting for someone to come in and build one for them.  Yeah like that is gonna happen there is so much here to attract something like that.  Mayor Saunders and City council, shame on you.  Good luck to Waynesville in getting a aquatic park built, and when they charge St. Robert citizens twice as much to use it, we deserve it.  Waynesville citizens get a price cut!!!!  Oh by the way, I live in St. Robert.

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:46:21 PM »
I wonder if we could start a campaign of sending letters to the city council telling them we want an aquatic park.

Offline Strictly Confidential

• Help! Coyote turned me into a little fella!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »
Sorry guys, but were I on the St. Bob City Council I would likely not cooperate either - have you see what Waynesville paid 200K for???  Looks like a backyard project made with materials from Lowes -

Someone, PLEASE tell me that most of the 200K went to excavating and backfill the old pool - please?

"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:26 PM »
I'm thinking they would have to pay way more than 200K to get what we need, but if they would combine with Waynesville, they would have to pay 1/2 the price that they would pay to get it done on our own.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 11:35:42 PM »
Does a pool really cost over 200,00.00? I did some online reasearch and I found some pool building companies in florida that build In ground luxery pools for about 25,000to 50,000 . Now, I realize that these are personal size, but I cant help but think we could have gotten a decent pool for 200 grand.
Biscuit

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »
Personal pools don't have to meet ADA standards, that is one thing that adds to the cost.  I have never seen any proffessional pool builders estimate of the cost of replacing the pool.  Needs to be done, but not sure where the funding will come from.

Ed Conley

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »
I have not checked the web in awhile, so it was interesting to read some of this about the sprayground and the aquatic park idea.  I have some figures for you to consider.  I was on the committee during the early part of our efforts and this information comes from that research.  There were bids taken on this project, also...

Believe me, a lot of work and research went into the Park Board's decision to build the sprayground in Roubidoux Park.  The price is well within the costs that we discovered, for example, one built in Kansas City a year ago was $280,000 and it has the same features that ours will have.  What you are looking at now is just the infrastructure for the five or six features that we added to our sprayground.  Features such as sprayers, mazes, tidal sprays, buckets, a water-brella, cannnons, shooters, soakers and the very popular, water sprouts will be attached when we open in the spring. Yes, it only addresses the smaller kids, but it is a new feature for our park system that we could afford, using our capital improvement tax monies.

The aquatic center is a different animal.  Let me give you some hard facts about costs.  Something similiar to what Rolla has would run us over $2 million dollars today.  We are looking at something that is scaled back a little, but at the same time, would be a good entertainment choice for our kids.  For example, we would not have the Lazy River feature.   Here are some examples of facilities close to what we would want to build and the cost....  Branson Aquatic Complex, completed in 2005, $2.4 million...Nixa Aquatic Center, completed in 2002, $2.5 million...Nevada's Walton Park Aquatic Center, completed in 2004, $1.3 million (and I bet with that name, they had a lot of corporate help).

An indoor/outdoor facility would run between $4-6 million and would not be within our reach.

Just a pool renovation, which some people have suggested, is not a sensible alternative.  Joplin did a renovation in 2004 and it cost them $997,000...today, of course, it would be over a million.  That is why that choice was not considered.

Some have suggested private companies...we have had none contact us.  The one at the lake, is it Big Surf?, is aimed at the tourist trade.  I doubt if a company like that would be interested in our area, but we are open to any discussion.

If you have some ideas and would like to work with us, and live within Waynesville's city limits, we have an opening on the Park Board and would love to have you.  I have worked with these people for years and they are wonderful citizens, who do extraordinary things.  We still have a committee with the school system and we will be approaching other partnerships as we get this thing going.  We  are open to any ideas.

Luge

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 12:08:55 AM »
Keep up the good work Luge.  You have done a lot for the city of Waynesville.  I know an indoor pool like the one in Rolla is probably out of the question.  But surely for 1mil we could get one with a decent sized swimming pool a couple slides and the 0-3ft section for smaller kids and moms that want to sit in the shallow end and watch their kids. 

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 12:34:55 AM »
Yes, the aquatic center design which the early committee discussed has a pool lap area, for swimmers, as well as the play features and a kiddie pool.  If we build in Roubidoux Park, the sprayground could be part of the new facility.  That was part of the plan to put it where it is. And don't forget that we would have to build a concession, bathroom building also, that is a large part of the expense.

We are trying, but there seems to be many obstacles to this project.  Hope to have a meeting this week to begin things.  Thanks for the compliment.  I enjoy working with the City and working on projects.  We have just started the bridge lighting/Trail of Tears project and hope to have it started this spring.  I love to read the positive suggestions, keep them coming.   Luge

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 03:48:48 AM »
Try contacting Tantara Resorts at the Lake of the Ozarks. They have an impressive indoor waterpark. I am sure that the city could recoup most if not all their costs in 5 years if the price of admission were 12 to 17 dollars a day. Heck you could even sell yearly passes or 90 to 100 dollars. (Indoor facilities can operate year round increasing revenue.) If seasonal places like Big Surf can operate and be profitable, just think what a facillite that is open year round would be capable of.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 04:44:21 AM »
One thing I really like about the baby pool on post is the shade overtop.  It is not very deep - 18" perhaps, plenty deep for the toddlers to float, but with the shade on it, they don't get burned as quickly.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 04:49:05 AM »
They have one down in Branson as well at the Grand Country Inn.  If you sleep at the Inn there is free admission, otherwise you pay to get in.  It has a toddler area, preschooler area, hot tub, water volleyball area, Full sized waterslide, lazy river and I am not sure what else was in there -- It's been several years since we went to Branson.
In Erie PA, there is a stand alone indoor water park that has deals with many of the local hotels for a discount with room.  It is quite a tourist draw for the region as well.  County residents also get special rate.
Try contacting Tantara Resorts at the Lake of the Ozarks. They have an impressive indoor waterpark. I am sure that the city could recoup most if not all their costs in 5 years if the price of admission were 12 to 17 dollars a day. Heck you could even sell yearly passes or 90 to 100 dollars. (Indoor facilities can operate year round increasing revenue.) If seasonal places like Big Surf can operate and be profitable, just think what a facillite that is open year round would be capable of.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension