Author Topic: Prosecutor's Office Press Release 3-17-16-Shattuck Sentenced to Life plus 50 yrs  (Read 1145 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

PRESS RELEASE
03/17/16
CHARLES SHATTUCK-KNAEBEL SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON PLUS FITY YEARS FOR THE MURDER OF JAMES DUNHAM IN JUNE 2013
Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney, announces that in Circuit Court action today in Morgan County, on a change of venue from Pulaski County, Charles Shattuck-Knaebel of Richland was sentenced to life in prison plus fifty years for his role in the murder of James Dunham of St. Robert in June 2013.

Shattuck-Knaebel originally pled guilty on May 13, 2015 as part of a plea agreement but withdrew from that agreement and requested a change of venue to Morgan County.  The case was set for jury trial in Morgan County beginning April 4, 2016.  At the pretrial hearing held today, Shattuck-Knaebel pled guilty as charged to Murder in the Second Degree, Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Armed Criminal Action, and Receiving Stolen Property. 

Judge Kenneth Hayden accepted the pleas of guilty.  Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman recommended a sentence of life imprisonment on the Murder charge, and a combination of 50 years on the other charges to run consecutive to one another.  Judge Hayden followed that recommendation and sentenced Shattuck-Knaebel to life imprisonment plus fifty years, to run consecutive.

“James Dunham was a 92 year old WWII veteran and a retired career Army NCO who was brutally beaten and killed because he interrupted the burglary of his home by Mr. Shattuck.  To me, it strikes at the heart of our community for good citizens like Mr. Dunham to be attacked in the place that they are supposed to be most safe, their own home,” said Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman. “I am very pleased that Judge Hayden followed my recommendation in this case and ensured that someone as dangerous as Mr. Shattuck-Knaebel spends the rest of his life behind bars where he belongs.  He will never be able to prey upon anyone else in this, or any other community.”

“I want to recognize the hard work of the members of the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department who spent tireless hours investigating and solving this crime.  Their work meant that the two men who committed this heinous act are in prison where they belong.  Specifically, I want to single out the good police work of the lead detective, Detective Doug Renno, the first two responding patrol deputies, Mike Mogan and Eric Dean, Detective Don Hayden, Evidence Custodian Dianne Hayden, Jailer Amanda Brabrandt, and Chief Deputy John Groves who were all essential in obtaining this conviction and sentence.  Our county is truly blessed because these police officers worked hard and came together to bring closure to the victim’s family as well as our entire community.  We are all safer because of these law enforcement professionals.”

This case was prosecuted by Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman and Assistant Attorney Generals Josh Harrell and Darrell Moore.  The Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department investigated this case.

Please direct all questions to Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman