Author Topic: Prosecutor's Office Press Rel. 4-11-16-Quo Warranto Petition Filed VS Plummer  (Read 996 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

PRESS RELEASE
4/11/16
Quo Warranto Petition Filed Seeking to Prevent Michael Plummer from Assuming Duties as Dixon City Marshal Without a Valid Peace Officer’s License

Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney, announces that today in Pulaski County Circuit Court, he has filed a petition in Quo Warranto, on behalf of the State of Missouri, seeking to prevent Michael Plummer from assuming the office as the Dixon City Marshal.  The basis for this action is Michael Plummer currently does not hold a valid peace officer’s license in the State of Missouri and thus, he is not qualified to become the Marshal, which is a position requiring a peace officer license.  In addition, anyone who would grant him such a commission might also be committing a crime under Missouri law.

Quo Warranto is an extraordinary writ that is granted by Missouri statute to the Attorney General or the County Prosecuting Attorney giving either officer the authority to file on behalf of the State of Missouri.  If granted, the Circuit Court then has the power to order the removal of an elected official for misconduct or prevent an elected official from taking office if that person is unqualified to assume the office.

“I did not take this action lightly, especially in light of the plurality victory in the recent election won by Mr. Plummer.  However, I have a duty as the Prosecuting Attorney to the citizens of this County to uphold the law.  Someone who does not have the proper qualifications under the law should not be allowed to assume a position of trust,” said Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Hillman.  “We would never allow a Circuit Judge who does not have a valid law license or a teacher without a proper teaching certificate to assume their duties, no matter the circumstances, and this is no different.  In light of recent events, I would ask that everyone respect the process and your fellow citizens and allow this issue to be properly and peacefully decided in the Courts and to respect the ultimate decision of the Courts.”

The Prosecutor’s Office reminds everyone that the facts stated in the petition are allegations until proven by a preponderance of the evidence in court.

Please direct all questions to Kevin Hillman, Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney.

Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman