Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: IS FORT LEONARD WOOD NEXT????  (Read 15865 times)

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
IS FORT LEONARD WOOD NEXT????
« on: August 19, 2007, 12:36:57 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

www.arkansasleader.com
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
TOP STORY >>Base builder bankrupt
By JOHN HOFHEIMER
Leader senior staff writer

At Little Rock Air Force Base, not a spade of earth has been turned or a nail driven since May 7 on American Eagle Communities’ stalled $127-million contract to provide housing for LRAFB airmen and families and it now appears the developer responsible is apparently in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings regarding its Moody Air Force Base privatization contract in Georgia.

American Eagle Community LLC has incorporated separately in each state for its various privatization jobs, but in Georgia, Regions Bank, a trustee on the $30-million construction bond, has filed for receivership in Lowndes County Superior Court, according to an article in the hometown Valdosta Daily Times.

Although no one for American Eagle Communities at LRAFB or the Air Force would comment, the government is said to be looking for a new developer to take over the Moody contract.

Meanwhile, American Eagle Communities reportedly sold its interest in 2,985 Navy housing units on Puget Sound in Washington state for an undisclosed sum to Forest City Military Communities, subject to approval by the Navy, it was announced August 1.

Central Arkansas subcontractors and suppliers have been left holding the bag for at least hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work and materials and still the failed developer collects about $9 million a year in rents from LRAFB airmen in privatized base housing.

Members of the Arkansas congressional delegation have begun to take note.

“The situation is very concerning to everyone,” said Cong. Vic Snyder, D-Arkansas, a long-time supporter of the base and chairman of the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations.

“It’s not clear to me at this time how this is going to get resolved to the best interest of our Air Force families.”
Sen. Mark Pryor’s office said he would address the issue Thursday after a tour of the base.

The developer, American Eagle Communities LLC, is two years behind schedule at LRAFB, according to Brig. Gen. (Select) Rowayne Schatz, the base commander.

In addition to the 25 homes that have been completed and occupied, about 70 concrete slabs have been poured. The contract calls for 468 new homes and 732 homes remodeled by 2011.

Schatz said about 200 homes should have been built or remodeled by now.

At Moody Air Force Base, where work stopped in January, Wing Commander Col. Kenn Todorov took Cong. Jack Kingston, R-Savannah, and other officials on a driving tour Monday to see the dilapidated condition of Moody Air Force Base’s privatized housing project.

“The Air Force continues to work with all parties to find ways to move the projects forward, Mike Hawkins, an Air Force spokesman familiar with all four Carabetta Air Force housing-privatization contracts said Tuesday.

The Carabetta family, either alone or as managing partner of American Eagle Communities LLC, is the developer of Air Force privatization projects at Little Rock, Moody, Patrick and Hanscom Air Force bases.

Despite Carabettas’ 25-year history of bankruptcy, corruption allegations, unpaid contractors, slowly paid contractors, unfinished projects, unhappy partners and lawsuits, the Air Force determined that past performance was satisfactory for all four Carabetta/Shaw projects, according to Hawkins.

In an August 1 editorial, the Valdosta Daily Times asks how that can be and suggests an investigation may be in order.

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
Re: IS FORT LEONARD WOOD NEXT????
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:00:06 AM »
Wow, sounds like we could be next. Wonder if that might not be a good thing for the area, though. Not sure how that works, but if a local company can get the bid, it might be a terrific boost.
Heck is where people go when they don't believe in Gosh.

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 06:40:37 AM »
yea but it costs out the booty to work out at ft wood> my hubby was working for a company and they made him pay $1500.00 outta his own pocket for workmans comp...

Offline 2manyhats2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
Last year, there were some young men I knew working out on post and they were having trouble getting paid from the contractor they worked for.

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:43:37 PM »
What does our political representatives say about this?

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »
Wow, sounds like we could be next. Wonder if that might not be a good thing for the area, though. Not sure how that works, but if a local company can get the bid, it might be a terrific boost.

From what I understand, the Govt. does not put these projects out to bid, they seek out developers.

The article stated "Despite Carabettas’ 25-year history of bankruptcy, corruption allegations, unpaid contractors, slowly paid contractors, unfinished projects, unhappy partners and lawsuits, the Air Force determined that past performance was satisfactory for all four Carabetta/Shaw projects, according to Hawkins". 

My question is....why in the world would the Govt. give a project of this size to a company with this sort of past???

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 03:45:02 PM »
yea but it costs out the booty to work out at ft wood> my hubby was working for a company and they made him pay $1500.00 outta his own pocket for workmans comp...

I believe that is illegal.  They can't do that if your husband was classified as an "Employee".  A lot of the workers on this project are being classified as "Independent Contractors" however, they do not meet the criteria of an "Independent Contractor".  I would call the Department of Labor in St. Louis and check on this, you might just get your $1500 back.  If you need the number pm me and I will give it to you. 

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 08:09:26 PM »
From what I understand, the Govt. does not put these projects out to bid, they seek out developers.

The article stated "Despite Carabettas’ 25-year history of bankruptcy, corruption allegations, unpaid contractors, slowly paid contractors, unfinished projects, unhappy partners and lawsuits, the Air Force determined that past performance was satisfactory for all four Carabetta/Shaw projects, according to Hawkins". 

My question is....why in the world would the Govt. give a project of this size to a company with this sort of past???

Because that is how our illustrious government operates. Look at the no bid contracts in Iraq, including MCI of the Worldcom fiasco, and Halliburton. I think they secretly believe it fuels the economy. For all I know, they may be right.

Offline tanya0220

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 03:14:15 AM »
I wish someone else would take over...we have been complaining that our "new" house has water sitting stagnant int he utility room and our backyard floods..the response we got yesterday is it is being worked on, but it is a contracting problem not maintenance...umm whomevers problem please fix soon before we have mold in this house too
Proud Army Wife and Mother of Twin girls!!!!!
Four wheels move the body.  Two wheels move the soul.  ~Author Unknown

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:44:48 AM »
I heard today that a contractor I sometimes work with hasn't been paid by A.E. for the last several months, so yeah, apparently it not only can happen here, but probably will.

Offline emwills

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »
I agree someone needs to take over. I have had SO MANY problems in my NEW house it is crazy. I have heard they are changing some of the contractors already??? I hope so. Maybe we can actually get stuff done!

zarkee

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 01:38:42 AM »
I interested in who you folks talked with that has such an insite into this project. The new home we moved into just last week is head and shoulders above anything offered out in town. I watch the new construction right out my back door every day and there is an awfull lot of activity going on for someone not getting paid.

The only gripe I have is that the work starts at 6:30 a.m. and that gets a little irritating. But I know its hot right now and I would not want the job that they are doing. I think this project is great compared to what we lived in at other military installations.

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 01:57:33 AM »

I interested in who you folks talked with that has such an insite into this project. The new home we moved into just last week is head and shoulders above anything offered out in town. I watch the new construction right out my back door every day and there is an awfull lot of activity going on for someone not getting paid.

The only gripe I have is that the work starts at 6:30 a.m. and that gets a little irritating. But I know its hot right now and I would not want the job that they are doing. I think this project is great compared to what we lived in at other military installations.

I think you missed the point of this thread.  Based on the original article posted, the question is....Will American Eagle file bankruptcy on the Fort Leonard Wood project and leave the subcontractors and suppliers holding the bag for hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work and materials like they did on their other bases?

I am sure your new house is "head and shoulders above anything offered out in town" but the question is.....did the workers and suppliers who made it possibile for you to live in such a nice house get paid (the correct wages) for their services?

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 02:14:52 AM »
 if they are working on base they should be getting paid union scale(davis-bacon wages)

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 02:19:05 AM »
if they are working on base they should be getting paid union scale(davis-bacon wages)

It's called "Prevailing Wage" and yes the workers should be getting that wage but you would be surprised if you knew how many workers were being cheated out of the correct pay!!!

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35:33 AM »
Non-payment forces work on military housing to stop

Kari L. Sands

VALDOSTA — Work on the privatized Magnolia Grove housing project for Moody Air Force Base families has come to a screeching halt amidst allegations of non-payment of subcontractors.

Less than a month after the much-touted grand opening of the first two completed houses, the keys handed to the two lucky families have been taken away, the housing area is locked down, and no one is being allowed access while the issue is resolved.

Dozens of area contractors have been affected by the non-payment for their work by American Eagle Communities, LLC, of Meriden, Conn. American Eagle was awarded the contract for the project more than three years ago, and according to the original timeline, more than 150 houses were supposed to be standing on the property located adjacent to Moody AFB off Bemiss Highway. Construction delays have been commonplace throughout the project, but on Jan. 31, 2007, a grand opening and ribbon cutting for the first two completed homes renewed hope that the community was finally on its way. Less than a month later, subcontractors began filing liens and lawsuits in an effort to receive payment for their services, and work is now at a complete standstill.

Preferred Builders and Renovators, LLC., the Home Builders Association of South Georgia and CMS/ Dumpster Co. are among those affected.

Subcontractors are alleging that SRC Construction, a division of Carabetta Corporate Office located in Meriden, Conn., withheld funding, defrauded, and has now successfully damaged as many as 40 industry contractors and vendors in the area. Sources reveal that eight of these 40 industry contractors are now bankrupt, several have filed liens, and two have pending fraud charges.

CMS/Dumpster Co. estimates “a big loss” in revenue; the Preferred Builders and Renovators (PBR) have estimated their debt at $100,000. “Our entire community is feeling this burden, from the building supply centers to the smallest subcontractor, and Moody AFB itself are all being punished and local businesses are in fear of folding,” said Melissa Bayman of PBR. “Many subcontractors face the possibility of losing their personal homes, credit, and jobs as well as their standing in the community as many have tied every aspect of their livelihood to overcoming the setbacks they now face.”

The Home Builders Association of South Georgia is also being affected by the non-payment of subcontractors, and Scott Orenstein, president of HBA of South Georgia, is concerned for the membership.

“As an association, we are extremely concerned with how this situation has affected many of our members. We want not only the construction community, but all of the citizens of Valdosta and Lowndes County to understand that subcontractors are not being paid for work that has been completed on this project; work that is undisputedly complete and satisfactory,” said Orenstein.

“Our office received word that this project has come to a complete halt due to non-payment from the general contractor, who is based out of town. I have personally heard several accounts of local businesses that have been forced to file bankruptcy and others who have begun to sell personal property in an effort to pay their suppliers. This situation is extremely serious and we are praying for an immediate resolution,” Orenstein said.
Southeastern Stud (SES) has worked on additional projects in association with American Eagle prior to the Moody AFB Family Housing project. Kennon Whaley of SES has pulled out of the project due to non-payment and breech of contract.

“AEDBS (American Eagle) owes SES over $2.5 million. We’ve done the work at the Magnolia Grove site and they’ve accepted it. Moody AFB was very pleased with the quality and outcome of our work,” said Whaley.

“After the first framers were fired, we also came in and corrected the existing frames and began framing six houses per week starting in October. Since the first part of November, we have not received a payment,” Whaley said.

Naomi Hendricks spoke on behalf of Moody Family Housing in association with the American Eagle Communities entity. “We have a delay with our senior leadership. We are working on non-payment issues of sub-contractors with our corporate office,” said Hendricks.

After learning that Kathryn Thompson, the managing director of American Eagle Communities, was no longer involved with the project, Hendricks offered a statement as to the reason. “Kathryn Thompson has been redirected to working on another project. We are still doing our best to provide best quality for family housing. When our military is deployed, we want them to feel comfort in knowing that their families are being taken care of,” added Hendricks.

Subcontractors have been formally instructed that there is no access being allowed to the Moody Family Housing project site, and no work is being performed. Community subcontractors and all involved are seeking resolution for non-payment issues as well as methods to maintain their companies and prevent further losses.

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 03:50:51 AM »

I'm in new houses on and off post all the time, and while I am not an engineer or inspector, I do get pretty good insight into the industry and quality of construction as a Realtor.

The builders on post are the same people who have been building off post for years. There is equal quality off post, and better quality off post, and sometimes poorer quality off post.

Yes, the builders are working. I stated one that I know is not getting paid. However, since he gave up building for the developer he *did* work for, he's hanging on hoping to draw that pay so that he doesn't give up the amount he is already owed.

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 03:06:05 AM »
Monday, August 27, 2007

TOP STORY >>Construction could resume at year's end
By HEATHER HARTSELL AND
JOHN HOFHEIMER

Three years into its 50-year military housing privatization contract at Little Rock Air Force Base, the financially troubled developer is trying to sell properties and contracts here and at four other stalled military housing privatization projects around the country.

“The $100 million (Little Rock) deal was signed in 2003 – before I got here – and it was a great proposal,” Brig. Gen. (Select) Rowayne Schatz told the Cabot Chamber of Commerce Thursday at its membership luncheon. Schatz is Little Rock Air Force Base commander.

“Three years later – it took two years of thrashing to get the project started –we’re supposed to have 120 new homes and we’ve only got 25. We’re supposed to have almost 500 renovated homes and we’ve got three.”

In addition to the 25 homes that have been completed and occupied, about 70 concrete slabs have been poured. The contract calls for 468 new homes and 732 homes remodeled by 2011.

American Eagle Communities, LLC failed to pay some Little Rock-area contractors and suppliers, fell far behind schedule for construction and refurbishing of 1,200 base homes and work stopped May 7, leaving the Air Force scrambling for answers and solutions.

Work has stopped or is behind schedule at five other bases where American Eagle Communities LLC, or Carabetta Enterprises of Meridan, Conn., have the privatization contracts. Schatz said work could resume at the base at year’s end.

American Eagle is a partnership between Carabetta and the Shaw Group of Baton Rouge, La.

BASE HOUSING OLD

“Our goal by the end of the year is to have someone with a proven track record in housing privatization with a new restructured deal able to start construction again,” Schatz said.

“The bottom line is we need to have the best possible housing available for our warriors and their families and we don’t have that now. We need to get there and it’s a very complicated process, but we’re working hard,” he said.

LRAFB has 1,500 homes built around the 1956-58 mark, Schatz said, and the homes look their age.

Schatz said a senior official with the Secretary of Defense’s office visited LRAFB last week, got a tour of the base and saw a house that would be offered to the next family that came in.

“He was shocked that nothing had been done to the house — no renovations,” Schatz said. “Most projects, if the developer isn’t going to tear it down for a couple of years, they at least put new kitchen cabinets in, new bathrooms.

“But nothing. So we have the same house built in the 1950s, renovated here probably back in the early ‘90s, late ‘80s,” Schatz said.

Given the age and quality of the homes, he said the occupancy rate for base housing, 82 percent, was better than he expected it to be. “That’s not bad considering the age of the houses.”

Little Rock is currently working with Air Force headquarters to hold the developer in the default process or have American Eagle sell to another developer because of failed military projects at LRAFB and other bases around the country, all because American Eagle has not lived up to their end of the bargain, Schatz said.

The contracts, part of a Defense Department initiative to turn all responsibility for base housing over to private companies, sold on- and off-base military housing to American Eagle with an exclusive 50-year contract to build new housing, renovate older housing, manage the properties and collect and keep the rents.

COLLECTING RENTS

So far, American Eagle has been better at collecting rents than building and remodeling houses, at least at Little Rock, where it received $9 million in 2006 alone, according to a base spokesman.

Tom Brockway, project manager for American Eagle Communities’ Little Rock Family Housing, is still on the job at Little Rock.

Brockway declined to comment on the telephone but promised Friday to forward a list of emailed questions to his bosses.

American Eagle Communities and Carabetta Enterprises won Air Force privatization projects at Little Rock Air Force Base; Moody Air Force base in Valdosta, Ga.; Patrick Air Force Base in Florida and Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts, plus Fort Leonard Wood Army Base in Missouri and the sprawling Puget Sound Naval installation in Washington State.

The Moody job was locked down in March, where the developer owes contractors and suppliers perhaps millions of dollars, with only two of 400 homes promised completed.

RECEIVERSHIP SOUGHT

American Eagle Community LLC has incorporated separately in each state for its various privatization jobs, but in Georgia, Regions Bank, a trustee on the $30 million construction bond, has filed for receivership in Lowndes County Superior Court, according to an article in the Valdosta Daily Times, which covers Moody Air Force Base.

Among other air bases experiencing difficulties, at Hanscom Air Force Base, only 17 new houses were completed out of 784 proposed, and 163 completed at Patrick of 552 proposed units according to the Record-Journal in Meriden, Conn.

American Eagle managing director at Patrick, Tom Swain, told the Florida Today newspaper that no further homes would be built and that the company is selling five military developments.

“Two are in the process and others, including Pelican Coast (at Patrick AFB) are seeking bids,” he said.

It was reported early this month that American Eagle had sold its nearly 3,000-home contract with the Navy at Puget Sound.

PROPERTY TAX DISPUTE

Meanwhile, American Eagle is wrangling to get out of paying real estate taxes both at Patrick Air Force Base and also at Little Rock Air Force Base.

The developer was told at the time of the sale of the 1,200 Little Rock houses that they would still be subject to property taxes, but they appealed to Pulaski County Judge Buddy Villines, who granted them an exemption.

County Assessor Janet Troutman Ward has challenged Villines’ ruling and the case is currently in Pulaski County Circuit Court, according to County Attorney Karla Burnett.

Despite Carabettas’ 25-year history of bankruptcy, corruption allegations, unpaid contractors, slowly paid contractors, unfinished projects, unhappy partners, and lawsuits, the Air Force awarded the contracts after determining that past performance was satisfactory for all four Carabetta/Shaw projects, according to Mike Hawkins, spokesman for the Air Force Center for Engineering and the Environment

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:54 AM »
"American Eagle managing director at Patrick, Tom Swain, told the Florida Today newspaper that no further homes would be built and that the company is selling five military developments"

Is Fort Leonard Wood one of the five?

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 08:11:37 AM »
Sounds like it to me based on the above article:

"American Eagle Communities and Carabetta Enterprises won Air Force privatization projects at Little Rock Air Force Base; Moody Air Force base in Valdosta, Ga.; Patrick Air Force Base in Florida and Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts, plus Fort Leonard Wood Army Base in Missouri and the sprawling Puget Sound Naval installation in Washington State."

Puget Sound is already sold, leaving five.

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 08:01:48 PM »
Arkansas Business On THV: LRAFB Housing Project Remains Still

Rows of housing units, some of them finished but most only partially complete, have been collecting dust at the Little Rock Air Force Base since late spring. Base officials are waiting for someone to clean up a $121.5 million mess.

American Eagle was contracted in 2004 to spend $121.5 million building 468 new units and renovating 732 existing homes at LRAFB by 2011.

But now that American Eagle Communities has stopped work and fallen behind in payment to subcontractors working on six base housing projects scattered throughout the country, the government has been forced into a waiting game.

"I think that's where we're at, and I think it's fair to say at this point that the only way it'll continue is if someone else finishes the job, which is what I believe they're trying to sort out," said Sgt. Arlo Taylor, a public affairs specialist at the LRAFB.

Meantime, the Port of Little Rock got more good news Monday. California-based Sage V Foods will construct a new 100,000 square foot rice plant in the port's industrial park at a cost of $20 million.

The company expects to break ground in October and have the plant completed by December 2008.

The plant will initially hire between 60 and 100 workers, but intends to double that number within the first two to three years of operation.

Sage V Foods chose Little Rock due to its proximity to rice growing areas, incentives and access to transportation routes. The company, which makes rice goods for commercial sale, opened a rice flour mill in Stuttgart in 2005.

Gary Zekis, Producer   
Created: 9/17/2007 5:31:14 PM
Updated: 9/17/2007 7:05:41 PM

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 08:02:15 PM »
Base Housing Delays Attract Congress’ Scrutiny

By Aaron Sadler

Stephens Washington Bureau • asadler@stephensmedia.com

WASHINGTON — Congress appears to be ready to step in to investigate delays in housing construction at Little Rock Air Force Base.

A private contractor has stopped work on homes at the Jacksonville base, drawing ire from subcontractors and Air Force officials. Work by the same contractor, American Eagle Communities, has also stopped at three other bases.

Sens. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., and Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., this week introduced legislation to order the U.S. comptroller general to report on the problem.

In 2004, American Eagle Communities was authorized to build 468 new homes and remodel 732 residences at Little Rock Air Force Base by 2011.

Pryor on Wednesday said that only 25 were finished and 70 concrete slabs were abandoned when the contractor abruptly stopped construction May 7.

Private investors financing the project stopped the “money drain,” said Mike Hawkins, spokesman for the Air Force Center for Engineering and the Environment.

“After some history of poor performance and construction delays, there were some problems we identified some time ago,” Hawkins said. “Since then, the project has basically come to a complete standstill.”

The Air Force has cited cost overruns and lower-than-expected demand for the units.

Two Arkansas subcontractors have sued American Eagle for unpaid bills.

Hawkins said the Air Force’s relatively small investment in the $127 million contract is the conveyance of land and houses that will be remodeled. Private bondholders cover the bulk of the cost for the homes that are rented to Air Force families.

An employee of American Eagle Communities in Little Rock refused to comment and said she would forward a message to the company’s corporate office. The message was not returned.

Hawkins said the Air Force anticipates a negotiated settlement involving the bondholders is forthcoming. He was unsure, though, whether American Eagle would the company that completes the contract.

“We believe the projects will be finished,” he said. “We want to see these housing projects get back on track and we want to see the housing available.”

Similar problems have plagued the contractor at bases in Georgia, Florida and Massachusetts.

“This has been a big mess all around the country,” Pryor said. “When I was at the Little Rock Air Force Base, some of the leaders said, ‘Hey, can you help us on this?’”

The legislation, included as part of a Department of Defense spending bill, requires the comptroller general to provide Congress with a report including a list of all privately contracted projects behind schedule and the reasons for the delays.

The report is to suggest remedies to subcontractors and the U.S. government in light of the delays; and recommend how to ensure construction is complete on time and within budget.

Pryor said the report would be due within 180 days.

“We don’t want any investigation to further delay matters,” he said. “They’ve been at an impasse. We want to move it forward and not see it bogged down the way it is right now.”

Offline meforme

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
I have been on BOTH sides of Government Contracts as a general contract manager and subcontractor to perform under a GC. 
When the American Eagle Contract came up they pushed to hire the "Local" contractors.  I volunteered hundreds of hours with contractors so that they could meet the documentation necessary to insure "Timely" pay for work performed.  ALL but one got delayed for more that 120 days, various excuses. The pay application delays tactics are too numerous to mention.

In the past 15 years associated with Govt contracts, I personally know that it seems to be the concept of General Contractors to operate off of the supplier and subcontractor's money until they are threatened with shut down, then the Gen Contractors file bankruptcy and who is left holding the bills and payroll taxes, the Subs and suppliers.

Lawyers try to sue, but the cost of litigation are phenomenal, the subs and suppliers file multiple verbal and written complaints with the Government personnel assign to watch out for this and ultimately nothing happens. 

The subs and suppliers are BS'd into thinking that it's "guaranteed" money cause if the General Contractor does not pay you then the government will withhold money and pay you.  It does not work that way.

To me the Management team is just as responsible for screwing the subs, and suppliers as the corporate mucky mucks.  They blame corp or govt finance section, when they mostly know whats going on and choose their six digit salary over morales.

Until Congress looks DEEPLY in to government Construction contract practices, The bankruptcies will continue to come and go.

As for my helping locals on govt contracts, I only advise now.  Unless they have 45% of contract  value to investment in pay application kiting schemes....STAY out of Sub contracts.  Only go for General Contract Awards, then you know how much and when you will be paid.
So to answer the above question, Yes the bankruptcy is coming, or a best a bonding company take over.

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 03:04:12 AM »
That's not sounding very good.

Offline Semper Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »
Not sounding very good for who? Whole lot of residential work going on out there on the Fort. A lot of cutting and pasting pertaining to other installations (Air Force) and much more innuendo. What is the bottom line with you folks and the residential project on Ft. Wood? There seems to be an awful lot of "in the know" postings dealing with this subject, but I have not read any real substance yet as it pertains to the Ft. Leonard wood project. IMHO it sounds like someone has had there feathers ruffled about something.

How many of the posters actually have first hand dealings with this compnay and the inner workings of the system?

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 04:40:35 PM »
From what I hear....the feathers are getting ready to fly! I guess time will tell!!

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 04:46:34 PM »
SemperFi, I believe that meforeme was simply making a prediction based on his/her 15 years of exposure to similar circumstances.

Offline meforme

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 08:08:39 PM »
A prediction is exactly what my statement was.  The original question was "Do you think that American Eagle Will file bankruptcy on the FLW project?  I simply stated that with associated contracts in other states, and seeing the trends with General Contractors in financial struggles, that IT IS highly likely that the bankruptcy will be filed for Missouri.  Simply stating, it is VERY easy for General Contractor to "conceal" their financial shell games, until the subs and suppliers receive their notice of Receivership from the U.S District Bankruptcy court.

As for problems with the new houses, that simply part of new construction and a rush Quality Control System to get the old houses gone and the new houses occupied.

Offline meforme

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 08:34:25 PM »
P.S.

My feathers are not ruffled as I do not have Any money tied into the American Eagle Contract,  My opinion is ruffled, because this type of contract ethic happens often on Construction projects associated with the government. 

I am positive with the Active Duty and Retired Military as well as Active and Retired Civil Service and Corps employees in our community that they can Remember a Contractor from St Louis, or the one from Peoria Illinois, or Even the 8-a Contractors from KC all who left multiple suppliers and subcontractors with hundreds of thousands of debt and exhibited the same trends as being seen with American Eagle.

Offline Painter Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »
Private developers replace, fix base housing

By Karen Jowers - Staff writer

With the bulk of the family housing privatization projects already awarded to private developers, defense and service officials are now focusing on making sure the deals — and the military houses — stay in good shape for the next 50 years, officials said.

Service officials awarded 11 projects in September as they tried to meet their goal of having most of the projects awarded in fiscal 2007. In all, 85 projects involving 171,529 units of family housing have been awarded to private developers, who are to fix or replace, maintain and manage the housing. When finished, the services will have awarded projects for about 195,000 houses by 2010.

The Army, Navy and Marine Corps have transferred all their problems with inadequate housing over to the private sector, and it’s the privatization partners’ responsibility now to fix or replace the housing. As of June 30, about one-third of the construction and renovation work in the projects awarded had been completed.

Of the 171,529 units of housing transferred, more than 129,000 were inadequate, according to defense officials. The Air Force has less than 10,000 inadequate units of family housing remaining in its inventory, and that should be addressed within the next year.

The Air Force has not moved as fast as the other services, partly because its housing stock was in better condition than that of the other services and did not need privatization as badly, said Bob Helwig, deputy director of housing for the Defense Department. By partnering with the private sector, the services have invested $1.66 billion in family housing, while the private sector has invested more than $20 billion.

“And the Air Force was more cautious in implementing privatization. They were more concerned that ceding control of housing to the private sector would end up with problems,” he said.

“We’re really in the home stretch now,” said William Armbruster, deputy assistant secretary of the Army for privatization and partnerships. The Army has transferred housing at 36 installations to private developers, with 76,000 units. In the end, about 88,000 units of housing will be privatized at 45 installations, and the goal is to complete the work by 2010. The Army is looking at ways to privatize smaller installations with smaller inventories of family housing, he said.

Sustainment — maintaining, renovating and replacing over the long term — is a key part of the projects, so that in 50 years, the houses do not end up dilapidated, as many were in the 1990s, Armbruster said. Short on money, the services did not fund the required maintenance for family housing and instead used money from housing allowances to fund other needs. Defense and service officials contend that with these privatization deals, the money from service members’ rent — based on their housing allowances — returns to the housing.

Surveys to find out satisfaction
The services conduct surveys to determine whether military families are satisfied with their housing and the services provided. Defense officials also have commissioned a study on the factors in service members’ housing choices, and researchers have started gathering information, Helwig said. Across the services, the occupancy rate of privatized housing is about 91 percent, he said.

But the amount of housing needed is a moving target, so tweaks are being made as a result of changes in end strengths, restationing and base realignment and closure. “If there’s a privatization project in place, we look at whether we can expand the project, or if it’s finished and topped out, we look at whether we can combine it with another base,” he said.

For example, the Marine Corps had a shortage of housing at large ground bases, primarily Camp Lejeune, N.C., and Camp Pendleton, Calif.. “With the Marine Corps end strength increase, it’s going to exacerbate that,” said Karen Ayers, head of the Marine Corps’ housing section. That is one primary focus since the Marine Corps awarded its last three privatization projects in September.

There are tentative plans for the increases, she said, but the numbers are not available because they have not yet been submitted for approval to the Defense Department and Congress. The Marine Corps’ approach is to privatize bases in phases. “We’ve not had the approach of building a ton of housing at a time,” she said. Rather, officials evaluate each year what is available in the private sector, the number of families who need housing, what’s planned for the private sector, any fluctuations in housing allowances, and other factors.

Marine Corps officials expect the bulk of their work to be completed — houses renovated or replaced — by 2012. Work is expected to be completed by 2014 at Camp Lejeune, Twentynine-Palms, Calif., and Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, she said.

The Army is also considering making some changes in the amount of housing, because of the changes in its force and base structure, Helwig said. Defense Department officials are reviewing the housing requirements at Forts Carson, Bliss, Lewis, Bragg and Drum.

A problem developer
The Air Force is further behind schedule in its renovations and construction, partly because of recent problems with one developer, American Eagle Communities. The developer, which has fallen behind in construction on four Air Force projects, one Army and one Navy project, will not have an adverse effect on the overall privatization initiative, Helwig said The projects are at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. (2,242 units); Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. (552 units); Moody AFB, Ga. (606 units); Little Rock AFB, Ark. (1,200 units); Hanscom AFB, Mass. (784 units); and in the Northwest Navy region, including Naval Base Kitsap, Wash. (2,985 units.) Officials with American Eagle Communities could not be reached for comment at press time.

The Navy and Army are moving to take action and get new general partners, Helwig said. Those services are limited partners with the developers in their privatization deals. But the Air Force deals are structured to be more at arm’s length. It is up to the lender that provided the capital to American Eagle to take action, Helwig said. Although the construction is behind schedule — or stopped, as in the case of Moody AFB — the developer continues to manage and maintain the other houses in the project. The Air Force has no cash at risk in its projects, he said.

“At the end of the day, the bad result for the government is that housing is not being built,” Helwig said.

“These six projects are a speed bump, but the amount of housing we’ve fixed and the construction we’ve generated is a very, very good story,” he said.

Although there are some growing pains as families adjust to dealing with a civilian landlord rather than a military chain of command, families across the country have praised the new housing, which has more storage, modern amenities, and playgrounds.

“This is the first time we’ve lived in new housing,” said newly promoted Sgt. Tony Persina, who lives with his family at Fort Belvoir, Va. “I love it. I can’t even describe it.”

Coretta Wiggins, wife of Army Sgt. 1st Class Mark Wiggins, said the maintenance crew for the new Lewis Village at Fort Belvoir “is great. If I call today with a problem, they’ll come today and look at it and get somebody out at least by the next day.

“This is the best housing we’ve ever lived in.”