Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Soccer reshuffle creates concerns  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Soccer reshuffle creates concerns
« on: March 03, 2007, 01:36:22 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Soccer reshuffle creates concerns

Darrell Todd Maurina

An ongoing soccer problem has forced the reorganization of youth soccer teams from Waynesville, St. Robert and Fort Leonard Wood.

At a Feb. 21 meeting that didn’t have enough people present for a quorum, Community Recreation Board Chairman Bill Westfall said he’s been in extensive discussions with the Ozark Mountain Conference, which governs youth recreational soccer in the area, regarding the way sports teams are sorted into teams and assigned to coaches after children sign up for soccer.

“We were asked by Ozark Mountain to look at our sorting system,” Westfall said. “They came back and said, ‘You will sort according to our standards.’”

The Ozark Mountain Conference wanted even more changes, but local youth sports leaders decided to re-sort the teams only once.

“We’ve caused enough turmoil in our community, and I’ve got some very angry parents,” Westfall said. “I wasn’t happy about the whole thing, but that’s just the way we sometimes have to do it.”

Recreation Director Janet Ruiz concurred.

“It’s been a crazy situation for me,” Ruiz said.

A key issue locally has been the desire of some parents to select coaches with a reputation for winning and of some coaches to select the members of their own team. Some Waynesville and St. Robert coaches have accused smaller communities in the area of informally stacking their teams by keeping their off-season junior high soccer teams together for continued off-season play; people in other communities have accused Waynesville and St. Robert, which have a much larger number of teams, of stacking teams by partnering better coaches with more skilled players.

That conflict led to a three-hour review of the selection process in Waynesville and St. Robert, Westfall said, and Ruiz said an additional two hours were spent sorting players by the correct age divisions required by the Ozark Mountain rules rather than by birth year.

The new teams were sorted without regard to coach or parent preferences except that coaches are allowed to have their own children on their teams, Westfall said, apart from extenuating circumstances.

“We did not look at parental situations except for a few must-dos,” Westfall said. “There are some situations where if a kid doesn’t get a ride, they weren’t going to play.”

Despite the youth soccer controversy, the total number of teams actually increased from the fall to spring seasons. The community recreation board supervised 28 teams from Waynesville, St. Robert and Fort Leonard Wood in the fall and that number grew to 29 in the spring with 315 players registered.

Cathy Ferguson, the president of the Kiwanis Club, also spoke to board members about the role of her organization. Ferguson said some people have asked why the Community Recreation Board has representatives from Kiwanis on a board whose other members are governmental bodies such as the Waynesville R-VI School District and the cities of Waynesville and St. Robert.

Ferguson said the recreational sports program began with an initiative by the Kiwanis Club 22 years ago.

“It has grown over the years, much to our enjoyment and delight,” Ferguson said. “Kiwanis is a well-respected community organization, and because we have this 20-year history with soccer, we are able to get things done.”

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
Re: Soccer reshuffle creates concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:05:30 AM »
I have to say that I attended the board meeting in January and have spoken with Janet and know they did everything they could do to be fair this season.  I'm impressed with the way they handled it, you can't please everyone all the time, but the way they did it was fair.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline Strictly Confidential

• Help! Coyote turned me into a little fella!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »
LOL - I have been involved with the game locally for seven years now - the rules and exceptions cited are the exact same they have always been - having been to the fields I can also tell you the teams have not changed.

It is typical to re-organize the rosters prior to every fall season in the rec league - this is spring - so new sign-up's are added, and players not returning are dropped, but the teams otherwise remain the same for the spring season - this is normal, and perfectly acceptable, per the rules. HOWEVER -

The "must be on my team or they can't play" exception has been the same all along, and this is where the stacking takes place - in addition to teams having two or three coaches, all with their kids on 'their' team.  There was a team that had what, 7, 9, 11 ride requests last year in the U12 category - a very large percentage of kids that can't play if the coach doesn't provide rides, no?  Yet I saw many of the parents with the "riders" at the games.

There is a U15 girls rec team that keeps the same kids every year, with the exception of normal attrition, through moves/relocation, etc.  With what, 30-40 girls in the rec division in their age group how do you think the coach is given his roster of 15-18 girls?  They aren't assigned, they request his team, OR (gasp) he requests certain girls - so, they can talk fair all they want but certain folks choose to ignore certain fundamental problems.  This is unfair to all the other kids, who are spread out every two seasons, but you bring it up and you'll hear - "their just girls - what are you worried about?"  No, winning isn't the concern - selective application of certain rules and standards is the issue.  Besides, aren't we all about equality these days?  They choose to play a single gender team in a gender-integrated league - so they should play the girls they are given - not the ones they choose...  It's the mere principle of the matter.

There is now a "all girls U12" team as well - odds are it is rostered in the same manner, as it is the U15's girls coaches wife that now has the U12 all girls team...Hmmmm - one farming young talent for the other?  Why not - they are being permitted to do it!  Don't like the supposition?  Then apply the rules to these teams in the same manner the lip service says the other teams are being set up - simple really.

Do outlying communities with two teams typically have one that is stacked, and one with less skilled children?  ohhhhhh yea - Billy was right on that , no doubt about it.

People just tend to loose sight of the fact that it's about the kids, fun, and the whole learning experience, and they do, and will continue to take advantage of loopholes in the rules/system - and people that let them do it - read, "Rec Board".

Bill - you reading this?  For seven years now I have advocated putting every kid on a master roster - at the annual meeting the coaches sit at a table and take turns picking kids from that roster.  Each coach should be granted two special requests before the "draft" starts - that way they can get their kid on their team, or snatch that superstar they want so bad - it is the only way to do it fairly from the get-go.

My.02, for what its worth.
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:30:56 PM »
My son decided against playing soccer this year.  For the the last 3 years, he has wanted to play on a team with his best friend.  His best friend's dad is the coach of that team. There team is as average as my son's prior teams the least few years.  There was no reason for wanting to be on this other team, other than to play soccer with his best friend.  Since some others have ruined it for everyone else, we were not permitted to request a specific coach.  He got tired of waiting for it to happen and has opted to spend time with me at the gym a few times a week instead.  Maybe that sounds bad to some of you, but I guess the point is, my son wasn't in it to win it.  He was in it to have fun, share the experience with his friends, and learn and become a better player. He loves soccer, but I guess he's a little tired of the let down every season.

I can't believe that we have to actually consider setting up rosters for child soccer teams. I guess I'm completely lame because I just didn't think the emphasis should be winning.  I guess I don't get it at all because I thought the emphasis was on teaching our kids a skill, pulling them away from video games and showing them that OUTSIDE is fun, too, and holding their interest in a positive activity that will help keep them out of trouble.  Sorry if I offended anyone by my thoughts on this.  That was not my intention.  I just wish I could better understand other points of view on this issue.