Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: letter from Waynesville R-VI Schools  (Read 3561 times)

Offline crylor6

• View Profile
letter from Waynesville R-VI Schools
« on: September 28, 2007, 12:58:35 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I received this letter from my daughter's school this week.  Just wanted to throw it out there to see what others think.  I don't have a special needs child but I was totally offended for the special needs children and their families.  These children are supposed to be protected by the Waynesville R-VI School District but are openly charged with being the reason the school failed.  I realize that in this age with the NCLB schools are required to have accountability, but I am not sure that I agree with them specifically targeting any individuals as being the responsible party, because it is more than just the child, it is the way he or she is taught and the whole gamut of curriculum, IEP, teachers, administrators, etc.

Hopefully I attached the letter correctly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Re: letter from Waynesville R-VI Schools
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:17:50 PM »
They could just have easily replaced the words "special needs" students and blamed it on "black" students, "hispanic" students, "female" students, "fat" students, "ugly" students, etc. and it would have still been a mean, discriminating letter.  Whoever wrote it ought to be ashamed.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline my3sons

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 02:07:39 PM »
Not sure who wrote it, but we can see who signed it.

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »
I don't agree with this, because these "groups" are not all special needs students.  I have a black daughter and she isn't special needs, lazy yes, but not special needs :).   I think they meant exactly what they said "special needs"  the kids who are slipping through the system for one reason or another. or have some kind of handicap.  There are kids in the school disctrict who are raising themselves, the school has to step up and be the "teachers" they are supposed to be.  That's why I think homework is an awful thing.  Sure some kids have parents at home who can encourage them and maybe even help them with their homework.  But, there are children who go home at night to an empty house or one with a bunch of younger siblings they have to take care of.  No one is there to help them with homework or even care if it gets done.  When I was in school we had study hall.  Most of our homework was done at school with a teacher present to answer questions if we didn't understand.  I know the school has a tutoring program, but again, if you don't have someone who can either drop you off early or pick you up after school, you can't utilize it.  My situation is that I am "mathematically challenged" when my daughter has math homework I cannot help her AT ALL.  Now I am fortunate enough to get a tutor for her, but what if I couldn't?  She says the teachers "don't explain" good enough.  I don't know, not a teacher, and never could be one because it is  a thankless job.  She had one teacher last year who talked all the time about his past and told them stories about things he had done.  He should have been teaching.  By the way the kids did not enjoy his stories.  Point is, if the school is failing in their MAP scores, and they are pointing a finger at the parents, there are three fingers pointing back to the ones who are really at fault.  "And that's all I got to say about that"  quoted Forrest Gump

Offline crylor6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »
My reason for throwing this letter out there is because I do not agree with the wording that is in the letter.  I don't believe it was right for Waynesville School District to blatantly identify one group of children as being the cause of why the school district as a whole failed.  Right now I am just a little frustrated with Waynesville School District because:
1.  My 1st grader is gifted and in LEAP.
2.  She did work in kindergarten that she had known for 3 years prior and now she is doing work in 1st grade that she already knows also.  I waited all last year for her to be challenged at her level of knowledge in kindergarten and it did not happen.  Also, I am not implying that she is so smart that she never learned anything new last year...
3.  I approached the school and requested that she be promoted since I want her academically challenged.
4.  The counselor told me to come with her and we would look at my daughters ESA, an assessment test she took last year, that was in her file.
5.  The ESA results were pulled and given to me.  The counselor tried to explain the report to me.  The counselor first tried to tell me the information for the national curve was my daughter's score.  Across the top of the form is how many the student got right, the raw score points, national curve and how your student ranked with a national percentile.  At the bottom of the sheet is each subsection and how many the student got right and percentage score.  When I showed her that the bottom of the sheet showed that my daughter scored 100% across the board in all areas she was puzzled about the scores shown at the top.  She could not explain the assessment to me, that the school gave her, nor could the principal or Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum.  When it could not be explained to me I was told that well, it didn't test what we wanted it to so we aren't going to use this any more.  This bothers me.  Since they cannot explain this assessment to me, how can they blanketly say that it was those children with special needs who did poorly and thus caused Waynesville Schools to fail?
Just throwing out there why I am puzzled by this letter and just wanted others thoughts on it!

Offline Strictly Confidential

• Help! Coyote turned me into a little fella!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »
I dunno, maybe its just me...

But it says to me "we failed to make adequate progress becuase this portion of our program has not met the benchmarks".

They then go on to say (paraphrasing) - in order to fix this we will do our part, but we need the help and support of familes.  I can understand where they are coming from - many familes consider school day care and want nothing to do with the school, except when they feel they have been wronged in some way.

Most caring, loving parents want to be involved, and make sure they do their part to ensure that the child is at school, and the child knows that the parents are partners in their education...
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Offline dcmo22119

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »
The letter seemed informative rather than offensive.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public"
--   Theodore Roosevelt, Jr,

Offline cayteaka

• Today is a gift, tomorrow is a blessing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »
One of my sons is considered " special needs " he is Bipolar and has speech and fine motor skill deficits. I just want to relay some experiences that I have had over the last few years. I do not consider my son special needs. With medication his mood swings are very much under control. However, his behavior when he feels he is being picked on or singled out can be disruptive. My son has had an IEP since 2nd grade and it has gotten us no where. I watched as he got further and further behind in Math and Reading. Every year his attitude worsened. We were advised that two of our sons needed summer school this year. Our oldest the one with "special needs" does not go to the Waynesville School system, my fourth grader does.We decided we would take the oldest on to Sylvan Learning Center in Rolla. When we had him tested he was reading at a 4th grade level. This year he is actually in 7th grade. After four months at Sylvan he was retested  and he currently is at a 8th grade reading level. All testing is computer based and calculated within minutes of finishing the test.

My other son who is currently in 4th grade took summer school in the Waynesville school district and was supposed to be in a reading only program, designed for students who were either slightly behind in reading or at risk of being behind in reading. He had 4 field trips and worked on math problems. When I questioned his teacher as to why they were not doing more reading, I was told they read the instructions to the math problems. Not really my idea of helping those who are behind. Many of the children that go to the Rolla Sylvan Center are from this area. When you have two to three hours to kill parents talk and many of us have the similar stories. You would even be shocked at how many of the parents are also teachers in the Waynesville school system. They have told me they know thier kids are not getting the best education and they take them to Sylvan to ensure they do not get behind. I think it is the school curriculum that is lacking and not only in the Waynesville school district.To blame the "special needs" children is a cop out. Every school gets additional money to fund special needs programs or to help assist with paying the teachers hired for special needs.I feel my son was wrote off because he has an IEP and was considered special needs. It is very hard to convey the attitude of some of the teachers the second you mention IEP and that your child has one and that tehy will miss some of class for speech.

As I told the school when this year began it goes to show that you get what you pay for. A perfect example is my baby sister who is in 8th grade. She has been in private christian school all her life. She currently reads at an 12 grade level and her math skills are in the 98% nation wide.The schools need to get a better curriculum and pay the teachers more so they can get better trained teachers and more of them. More teachers means a better student to teacher ratio. Less stress for the teachers and more individual attention for the students.

By the way my oldest has a much better attitude and has not been sent to the principals office yet. It's amazing how a childs life can change when they actually undertsand things. My younger son will never attend a summer school in this school district again.If need be he will be attending Sylvan next year, even If I have to get a third job to pay for it.

Offline Strictly Confidential

• Help! Coyote turned me into a little fella!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »
Wow - congrats, and you are to be commended for not accepting the status quo.  Schools these days, all to often will try to label a kid with a 'condition' just becuase they learn differently.  What it does is stigmatize the child and convince them they have limitations.

The only limitations our children have are those they are led to believe they have.
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 03:18:06 PM »
I agree with SC & DCMO. I think the letter was informative, not condescending. But there apparently is a problem as identified by Cateaka - Special needs kids are not any less smart in many cases. They might have behavioral problems, or dyslexia, etc. but can still "think" at levels equal to or ahead of their peers. To dumb down their education just because it might require more effort on the school is completely unacceptable.
Heck is where people go when they don't believe in Gosh.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »
Let me beat this drum again, gov schools are not worth the money spent. Send you children to a private school or home school them if at all possible. I think the letter above is stating that the school is going to do all they can and yes the parents need to also do their part. I think it's sad when someone would think of school as day care.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 06:47:20 PM »
Public schools are not always bad. The ones in Columbia, MO impressed me, as did the ones in Arizona and one in Chicago. Then there were others that made me wonder how they deserved to call themselves schools at all.

Heck is where people go when they don't believe in Gosh.