Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Chest presses, not breaths, help CPR  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Chest presses, not breaths, help CPR
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:54:39 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Chest presses, not breaths, help CPR By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Medical Writer
1 hour, 10 minutes ago

Chest compression not mouth-to-mouth resuscitation seems to be the key in helping someone recover from cardiac arrest, according to new research that further bolsters advice from heart experts.

A study in Japan showed that people were more likely to recover without brain damage if rescuers focused on chest compressions rather than rescue breaths, and some experts advised dropping the mouth-to-mouth part of CPR altogether. The study was published in Friday's issue of the medical journal The Lancet.

More than a year ago, the        American Heart Association revised CPR guidelines to put more emphasis on chest presses, urging 30 instead of 15 for every two breaths given. Stopping chest compressions to blow air into the lungs of someone who is unresponsive detracts from the more important task of keeping blood moving to provide oxygen and nourishment to the brain and heart.

Another big advantage to dropping the rescue breaths: It could make bystanders more willing to provide CPR in the first place. Many are unwilling to do the mouth-to-mouth part and become flummoxed and fearful of getting the ratio right in an emergency.

Sudden cardiac arrest when the heart suddenly stops beating can occur after a heart attack or as a result of electrocution or near-drowning. It's most often caused by an abnormal heart rhythm. The person experiencing it collapses, is unresponsive to gentle shaking and stops normal breathing.

In the new study, researchers led by Dr Ken Nagao of Surugadai Nihon University Hospital in Tokyo analyzed 4,068 adult patients who had cardiac arrest witnessed by bystanders. Of those, 439 received chest compressions only from bystanders, and 712 received conventional CPR compressions and breaths.

Any CPR attempt improved survival odds. However, 22 percent of those who received just chest compressions survived with good neurological function compared with only 10 percent of those who received combination CPR.

"Eliminating the need for mouth-to-mouth ventilation will dramatically increase the occurrence of bystander-initiated resuscitation efforts and will increase survival," Dr. Gordon Ewy, a cardiologist at the University of Arizona College of Medicine in Tucson, writes in an accompanying editorial.

A big caveat: The combination CPR in the Japanese study was given according to the old guidelines of 15 presses for every two breaths, not the 30 presses recommended now.

The American Heart Association said the study supports a focus on chest presses, but the association does not expect its advice to change. It recommends that bystanders provide compression-only CPR if they are "unwilling or unable" to do mouth-to-mouth breathing at the same time and for emergency dispatchers to give instructions on that.

The association wants to see survival results from programs that use compression-only CPR for cardiac arrest.

"It is important to note that victims of cardiac arrest from non-cardiac causes, like near-drowning or electrocution, and almost all victims of pediatric cardiac arrest benefit from a combination of rescue breathing and chest compressions," a heart association statement says.

More than 300,000 Americans die from cardiac arrest each year. About 75 percent to 80 percent of all cardiac arrests outside a hospital happen at home, and effective CPR can double a victim's chance of survival.

Roughly 9 out of 10 cardiac arrest victims die before they get to the hospital partly because they don't get CPR.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
Re: Chest presses, not breaths, help CPR
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:16:07 PM »
I don't know but I will call and find out.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »
I just called Paula Wyatt, one of our first responders but she isn't home at the moment.  I left a message on her machine asking her to call me back and let me know.  I will post as soon as I hear from her.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »
Okay.

watson

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »
Law101 did you ever get an answer from Paula Wyatt about whether Big Piney has one or not.....just wondering.....

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 05:15:20 PM »
Rick, that is for laypersons. Not trained medical people. Laypersons frequently hesitate to do mouth-to-mouth and they do not have the equipment we have to breathe for an person not breathing. So studies show that chest compressions will help. But this is temporary and not ideal. Most people without a lot of training cannot do adequate ventilation anyway. They can't tolerate the things in the way, vomit, saliva and so on. So they rarely move any air in anyhow. They do not know how to open the airway and clear it and maintain adequate ventilation. That is not the case with us, we place tubes in, use a bag-valve-mask, etc. and breathe for the person.

Offline mmm170

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 05:31:48 PM »
I agree, but also, if the only thing you can do is chest compressions, then do it. I once knew an 80 year old wife whose husband had a heart attack. She put him in the car and drove him to the hospital. The entire time driving she was "beating" on his chest, calling him names and telling him that he's not supposed to die. When they got to the ER they revived him fully but they said that if she hadn't been beating on his chest, his heart would have stopped completely and he would have died.

I'm not sure however why, "22 percent of those who received just chest compressions survived with good neurological function compared with only 10 percent of those who received combination CPR". Your body needs oxygen, your blood needs oxygen otherwise it can't survive.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 06:05:48 PM »
I concur mmm170