Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Dog Nappers  (Read 42623 times)

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Nappers
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »

Share/Bookmark

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »
I agree. Oldcowpoke was out of line. If my dogs were stolen and some have been years ago I would feel the same way as Mark. People should put themselves in other peoples shoes.

Offline angelamo

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2009, 05:53:50 PM »
I've said this before but I'll say it again. It is our reponsibility to care for our animals. That care includes making sure that they are safe. Dogs (and cats) left loose to run around are not safe. Especially close to the river and roadways where they could easily be ran over, drown, or stolen (as may be the case here). They are also a hazard (if they are on the road) to those of us driving who will swerve to avoid your companion.

Many of you are older and are used to our rural ways (which has included this behavior of putting our cats and dogs out and always having them remain close to the house, no training required), but as our rural area is becoming more developed (and populated), we have to realize that our care for our animals also must change. DTM makes a great point about how we would never toss our children out unsupervised and shouldn't do it with our pets either.

Please, don't throw them out to rough it on their own. We are talking domesticated animals here...not wild animals that are capable of caring for theirselves indefinately.

Although it could have been stated more kindly than OCP's post, his point is the same.   

It's also a good point that someone made - that there are do-gooders out there who will mistake your pet for a lost/runaway pet and pick them up. If they are not microchipped (they can slip the collar with tags) they may be only briefly advertised before given to someone else.

I am sorry to hear about people's pets becoming lost. :( I hope they wander back or are returned.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »
Since you never met my dogs, your assumtions are futile at best.
I made NO assumptions.... I said what the possibilities were.  If you were to report the incident to the police, do you think they will just assume your dogs were stolen?  No, you have no evidence to prove they were stolen, your dogs were free to roam, otherwise they would be at your home every day to eat, not "almost every day".
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
I agree. Oldcowpoke was out of line. If my dogs were stolen and some have been years ago I would feel the same way as Mark. People should put themselves in other peoples shoes.
I had dogs stolen myself.  Mark threaten Oldcowpoke, "I also hope you have been neutered so you can't have any kids with your attitude! If you haven't been I can take care of that for you."  That is a threat, and why... because oldcowpoke pointed out that Mark, himself, said "almost every day", meaning there were days the dogs were just gone and he had no idea where they were.

I have seen so many people move out here into the country and think it's ok to allow their dogs to roam.  I've had dogs come onto my property and attack MY animals on MY property!  I've lived in the country for almost 25 years, and have seen people come here thinking it's ok to just walk onto someone's property (had it done here many times when I had farm critters), and leave their dogs roam where ever they desire.  It is irresponsible not to ensure that your pets are not messing on other's property, eating food left for another's animals, ripping up trash, etc.  I'm tired of having strange dogs barking at me on my own property, having to clean up after someone else's dogs, and having my animals feed eaten by someone else's dog!

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
I guess they think it wasn't "christian" of me to call the Dog Nappers assh##es. Maybe not, but I'll bet God knows their assh##es too.
To me, your threatening another person is what I was referencing!

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2009, 07:24:59 PM »
I had dogs stolen myself.  Mark threaten Oldcowpoke, "I also hope you have been neutered so you can't have any kids with your attitude! If you haven't been I can take care of that for you."  That is a threat, and why... because oldcowpoke pointed out that Mark, himself, said "almost every day", meaning there were days the dogs were just gone and he had no idea where they were.

I have seen so many people move out here into the country and think it's ok to allow their dogs to roam.  I've had dogs come onto my property and attack MY animals on MY property!  I've lived in the country for almost 25 years, and have seen people come here thinking it's ok to just walk onto someone's property (had it done here many times when I had farm critters), and leave their dogs roam where ever they desire.  It is irresponsible not to ensure that your pets are not messing on other's property, eating food left for another's animals, ripping up trash, etc.  I'm tired of having strange dogs barking at me on my own property, having to clean up after someone else's dogs, and having my animals feed eaten by someone else's dog!

Guess we just have to disagree on this one. I've lived in the county all of my life. I live pretty close to others and therefore keep my dogs tied up - which I don't like. Part of the reason people live in the country is to let their pets run free - especially if you own a lot of property. If you don't like it move back to the city.

You don't know that Mark's dogs do the things you mentioned - eating other food, tearing up others property, etc. They may normally never leave his property - you don't know nor do I. If I have an animal on my property doing these things I take care of it by talking to the owner, if that doesn't do it I take care of it another way. JMO
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline angelamo

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Part of the reason people live in the country is to let their pets run free - especially if you own a lot of property.

If one owns property - fence it. Fence an acre or two and your pets will get the joy of running "free" while being safely contained. I agree with Kari. When the dogs wander up to us here, I check for tags/collar/microchip, run an ad or two, and then they are put up for adoption and their "owners" never see them again.

It never ceases to amaze me that "responsible owners" want to risk their pets being injured for the sake of "running free" (as if they are some wild animal). Domestic Dogs want to be with their people. They are pack oriented. They need your time and attention and to be kept close to you.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
Guess we just have to disagree on this one. I've lived in the county all of my life. I live pretty close to others and therefore keep my dogs tied up - which I don't like. Part of the reason people live in the country is to let their pets run free - especially if you own a lot of property. If you don't like it move back to the city.

You don't know that Mark's dogs do the things you mentioned - eating other food, tearing up others property, etc. They may normally never leave his property - you don't know nor do I. If I have an animal on my property doing these things I take care of it by talking to the owner, if that doesn't do it I take care of it another way. JMO
I have about 7.5 acres, but I purchased a wireless electronic fence, as I do NOT like keeping animals tied up.  All I ask is others be responsible for their animals.  I've already had a dear pet killed by a dog, have had another one attacked by dogs, on MY property by dogs allowed to roam free. 

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »
If one owns property - fence it. Fence an acre or two and your pets will get the joy of running "free" while being safely contained. I agree with Kari. When the dogs wander up to us here, I check for tags/collar/microchip, run an ad or two, and then they are put up for adoption and their "owners" never see them again.

It never ceases to amaze me that "responsible owners" want to risk their pets being injured for the sake of "running free" (as if they are some wild animal). Domestic Dogs want to be with their people. They are pack oriented. They need your time and attention and to be kept close to you.

There isn't many kinds of fence that will keep my dog in - he eats everything - yes fence! If he can't eat it, he will dig under it or jump it!

Tell that to my dog - he loves to run. He gets out now and then and takes off with the neighbors dog to do whatever they do - chase rabbits, swim in the lake or lagoon, who knows what else. He loves it - but he always returns. I worry about him when he is gone, but don't tell me he doesn't love it! When he is done with his run he will lay in the back of the truck for hours.

You should all know I don't like to argue - but I fee OCP spoke pretty harshly to Mark and has to most everyone on here.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
I have a few that run loose~ they are home every nite, if not I go looking for them~ I have had a few I have tied up when they became problems to other people~ I am lucky enough to live in a very small town where everyone knows each other and if we have a problem with someones animal all we have to do is say something~ I HATE having my dogs tied up~ and everytime I have EVER drove by Marks house his dogs are not that far from the house... and I drive by the river several times a week.. I don't believe letting your dogs run loose is irresponsible at all~ if you feed and take good care of them they aren't going to go far from home anyways..

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
I have about 7.5 acres, but I purchased a wireless electronic fence, as I do NOT like keeping animals tied up.  All I ask is others be responsible for their animals.  I've already had a dear pet killed by a dog, have had another one attacked by dogs, on MY property by dogs allowed to roam free. 

Hadn't thought of that one....might have to look into it. But then I fear someone coming into my year and being bit, he is very protective of the yard. I do keep my dog under control and some dogs do need supervision, but I don't feel they all do and we don't know that Mark's does.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
Electronic fence doesn't keep other things out and if by chance yours does get out, it can't get back in.  Those fences are only good for small, in town yards. 

....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »
Electronic fence doesn't keep other things out and if by chance yours does get out, it can't get back in.  Those fences are only good for small, in town yards. 

Once the dog gets "zapped", it learns fast that the first warning is the beeping sound.  I actually checked out the strenght of the zap myself, and there is a loud warning beep when they are getting too close to the line.  My fence worked very well until someone actually took my dog.  I had it set up for a section behind my home, you can adjust the distance it covers.  I should not have to worry about other peoples dogs attacking my animals on MY property.  If, I could have been out there with him, I would have been... unfortunately, last year I was a prisoner in my own home, due to circumstances that were beyond my control.  I, hopefully, will never have to go through another such summer, and my next dog will have someone with her.

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »
I did speak harshly to Mark and make no apology for it. What I did NOT do is say he does not love his dogs. Some of you people are remarkable in your ability to make erroneous assumptions and twist the words people have put down in black and white.

Mark is a one note Johnny who always has an excuse why everything is somebody elses fault. If it is my cattle that Marks dogs are out there chasing when they are not at home, then by god he had better do something about it. I had a dog stolen too, and we got him back. I once had to find a new home for one who would NOT stay home and became a nuisance to our neighbors. Living in the country does not entitle people to let their pets run loose. Thank you Angelmo and Kari for depicting exactly the problems that can occur with roaming pets, and for emphasizing the responsibilities assumed by pet owners for their pets health and safety.

And if there is anyone here who believes that Mark does NOT routinely go off half-cocked and shoot off his mouth, would you please contact me about some oceanfront property I have for sale here in Missouri?

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »
I should not have to worry about other peoples dogs attacking my animals on MY property. 

You shouldn't but you do need to....

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »
You shouldn't but you do need to....
I agree, but when you are not able to be out there with your critters, and they need to go out.... makes it difficult when others don't assume responsibility for their animals.

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
OCP I do not know you or Mark or anyone else on here personally. I have had you talk to me rudely before and as an "outsider" I took it that you came off very harshly to someone who lost their dogs. Apparently you two have a past that I know nothing about. But when you say things like that other people can take it personally - that you are saying they are not good pet owners because they let their pets run.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2009, 08:36:56 PM »
OCP I do not know you or Mark or anyone else on here personally. I have had you talk to me rudely before and as an "outsider" I took it that you came off very harshly to someone who lost their dogs. Apparently you two have a past that I know nothing about. But when you say things like that other people can take it personally - that you are saying they are not good pet owners because they let their pets run.
There are no outsiders here on PCW!  We all are very opinionated...  some of us more so than others!   ::) We do have a time of it, as many of us are "transplants" and use language a tad differently, so there are misunderstandings.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:29 PM »
I don't feel like people getting on here bad mouthing each other helps anything. Losing a pet regardless from stealing them or someone killing them, it is still hard to lose them. I own 40 acres and no I don't tie up my dog, He is very well fed and taken good care of but he loves to be able to run all over my place, Just because we don't tie them up does not make us irresponsible. I don't like seeing a dog being tied up because I feel like they may as well be put into a pen like people are put in jail. I don't live real close to the road but if someone wants an animal it does not matter if it is tied up or not if someone wants it they will figure out a way to get it. I owned a cat once that I had living on the front porch of our old house we were living in and 1 day when we left, my cat was locked on the front porch with the latch on the outside of the door and someone came up while we were gone and unlatched the lock and stole my cat as well as her food dish and her toys. We all need to stop fighting and start to figure out what is happening to these animals. And yes if someone is going around stealing them yes they need to be stopped.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
I don't feel like people getting on here bad mouthing each other helps anything. Losing a pet regardless from stealing them or someone killing them, it is still hard to lose them. I own 40 acres and no I don't tie up my dog, He is very well fed and taken good care of but he loves to be able to run all over my place, Just because we don't tie them up does not make us irresponsible. I don't like seeing a dog being tied up because I feel like they may as well be put into a pen like people are put in jail. I don't live real close to the road but if someone wants an animal it does not matter if it is tied up or not if someone wants it they will figure out a way to get it. I owned a cat once that I had living on the front porch of our old house we were living in and 1 day when we left, my cat was locked on the front porch with the latch on the outside of the door and someone came up while we were gone and unlatched the lock and stole my cat as well as her food dish and her toys. We all need to stop fighting and start to figure out what is happening to these animals. And yes if someone is going around stealing them yes they need to be stopped.

well said!

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »
Kathy, I think that you just ended it. Well done. I could not have said it better. I will continue to keep my dogs chained and penned. I will also keep a close eye on my beagles when I go hunting. Again, good job kathy

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »
LOL that is why I try to keep my mouth shut - I am not good with words!

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2009, 10:18:20 PM »
I have a few that run loose~ they are home every nite, if not I go looking for them~ I have had a few I have tied up when they became problems to other people~ I am lucky enough to live in a very small town where everyone knows each other and if we have a problem with someones animal all we have to do is say something~ I HATE having my dogs tied up~ and everytime I have EVER drove by Marks house his dogs are not that far from the house... and I drive by the river several times a week.. I don't believe letting your dogs run loose is irresponsible at all~ if you feed and take good care of them they aren't going to go far from home anyways..
Thanks Kristi, that' s what I said in my initial post. They occasionally go to the neighbors and get a belly rub, just like their dogs come here and get one. maybe even spend the night. As you know I live on the river which is popular by the locals. (all of which know those are my dogs) and I have a air compressor and patches for their four-wheelers.
There are dog thieves that frequent this area! I will catch them someday! Bad day for them!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2009, 11:34:59 PM »
Micro-chipping family pets is becoming more and more popular these days.  It definately helps retrieve a stolen pet and is less expensive then one might think.  All of mine are chipped.  But most importantly, it also all comes down to people being responsible pet owners.  If they allow their pets to roam unattended and free, then they are asking for trouble.  Don't come whining about it later when your dog comes up missing or stolen, its of no fault, but your own.  If a dog is stolen from a fenced yard, then if it was me, i would pitty the fool that did it and i would hunt them down like the animal they are and take care of it myself.  Their wouldn't be a need for the law.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2009, 01:31:52 AM »
 My dogs were well cared for with collars that had our address and phone #. They also said please don't take me I live here. I can't imagine them having to live on a chain or in a cage. I live in the country! And so do my dogs! I thought it was pretty responsible of me to inform all of my neighbors that these are my dogs and if they ever cause them any problems to let me know immediately and I will take care of it. All of them said they were animal lovers and would never hurt them. They very rarely left the yard. Anyone who's ever owned a dog should know they sleep most of the time. I hope I haven't left anything out for those of you who keep your dogs locked up in doggy prison and like to make assumptions about how I take care of mine.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2009, 05:59:58 PM »
I wasn't assuming anything Mark.  I think that what you're doing is fine and responsibile.  Not many people would go to their neighbor and take that extra step to ensure their dogs safety.  Kuddos.  I was speaking of the people who let their dogs run loose, expecting others to be ok with them tearing up their trash, crappin in their yard etc... and then whine about why their dog is shot or missing.  Those kinds of people need to become responsible pet owners.  I don't agree with chaining a dog.  To me, it is a irresponsible, neglectful way of containing their animal.  no life for a dog. Most cities have banned dogs chained and will site the owner.  Dogs need to be fenced or trained to stay put.  After all, they are the owners dogs, not the neighborhoods choice as to have them wandering in their yards.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:52 AM »
In my neighborhood we all know who's dog's are whos' my neighbor's dogs follow him to the corner on his way to work and then they go home. about 1/2 mile. We don't have a dog napper problem,but we do have occasionally a dog dumping problem. I really would like to catch those guys. but especually with the world as it is you just have to be extra alert on traffic in the neighborhood. It is a shame but that is the way it is. my cats run loose,makes it easier for them to keep the rodent population down. my dogs are tied up on a cable because one likes to chase deer and one likes to explore the yard to much.no one's dogs bother anyone and we all have livestock. I hope you catch the sorry bastards mark. My dogs are tied up but they are still great watch dogs and family pets.There are some that don't realize or don't care pets are important members of the family.

Offline mommie24

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
I know marks dogs and all are loving and and if guilty of anything too spoiled.  He has recently lost 2 more.  The amount of dogs "missing" on his road is outrageous.  And not just his.  The Newfie was just the beginning. Since there has been 2 husky mixes, a cattle dog and numerous mutts.  Someone is taking these dogs.  One person can't have 5 dogs in a year go missing.  Mark is home 90% of the time.  In fact we can barely get him to visit.  If his dogs want to go jump in the river on a summer day I think they should be allowed that luxury.  He has no close nieghbors other than river traffic.  If you don't know the situation or have anything nice to say be quite!  We have lost dogs on our road too.  Every deer season our neighbors are shot usually fataly and numerous stolen and recovered or never recovered.  There was the "testing lab" rumor but never proven.  There just is no happy medium for this problem.  All I know is Mark is a more responsible owner than most.  Always the first to feed a stray.

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2009, 12:56:05 AM »
What i am about to tell you is the Gods honest truth.  Around August, i was reading Rollanet.com.  I was reading the dog ads.  I read an ad from a Chinese Restraunt and the ad stated something similiar to this:  WANTED- dogs/cats that owner no longer wants. Used for food. It gave the business name, a phone number and the number was from the Rolla area.  I called my husband over to look at the ad. I couldn't BELIEVE what i was reading!!! I immediately contacted Rollanet and reported the ad. The next morning, i called USDA.  Now im not saying that this is the reason dogs are coming up missing, but i am saying that reading this thread makes me think back to that day.