Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Dog Nappers  (Read 42660 times)

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
Re: Dog Nappers
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2009, 01:30:29 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

What i am about to tell you is the Gods honest truth.  Around August, i was reading Rollanet.com.  I was reading the dog ads.  I read an ad from a Chinese Restraunt and the ad stated something similiar to this:  WANTED- dogs/cats that owner no longer wants. Used for food. It gave the business name, a phone number and the number was from the Rolla area.  I called my husband over to look at the ad. I couldn't BELIEVE what i was reading!!! I immediately contacted Rollanet and reported the ad. The next morning, i called USDA.  Now im not saying that this is the reason dogs are coming up missing, but i am saying that reading this thread makes me think back to that day.

How did the USDA respond?

Dog meat is an expensive delicacy in Korea and some other Asian countries. Given the high population of Asian immigrants in some states, I suspect that farm-raised dogs are legal under federal law to butcher and sell in restaurants for food, just like any other animal raised for slaughter.

I don't know what rules, if any, Missouri may have on this, but from what I've been able to dig up, apparently California law bans sale of "companion animals" for food, but state health authorities have interpreted that to apply to animals that are actually pets, not cats and dogs raised for slaughter or animals that are no longer people's pets. Of course, that effectively says the law means virtually nothing, since a pet owner can sell his big meaty dog or give it away "free to a loving home" and it's no longer a "companion animal" because the new owner has no intention of treating it as a pet.

I'll add a worse item to this. Soldiers previously stationed in Korea probably already know from their KATUSAs that dog meat is regarded as an erotic stimulant -- basically natural viagara. No, I am not kidding.

Before people ask, no, I have not and would not eat dog meat. I understand it tastes very good -- I am told that it has a naturally sweet taste without seasonings and is fairly juicy -- but I can't stand the idea of eating "Fido." Octopus legs and butterfly chrysalises and things like that taste good, too, and if I'm going to eat unusual meat it's not going to be a dog.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2009, 02:03:54 AM »
First off, DO NOT OPEN THESE ATTACHMENTS if photos of dogs for human consumption gross you out. One photo is of a dog that has been pressed flat ready for consumption; the other photo is of butchered dog parts.

I did a quick check of laws on dog meat consumption, and as far as I can tell there is nothing in either American federal laws or Canadian national laws that prohibits selling dog meat for human consumption, as long as the meat has been properly inspected. There may very well be applicable state or provincial laws that heavily regulate or prohibit dog meat sale for human consumption.

Wild game is illegal to sell in restaurants in Canada. However, there is a Canadian case where a restaurant was selling coyotes for meat and the courts ruled that while selling coyotes was not in itself illegal, the meat would have had to be inspected prior to sale.

Now let me emphasize that I am absolutely **NOT** advocating sale of dogs for food. I've never eaten "gaegogi" (dog meat) and I don't want to try. And before anyone considers selling dogs for food, you'd better make sure that all federal and state rules have been complied with. I am very sure the Pulaski County Health Department food inspector will be very unhappy if you try to sell dogs without complying with the proper rules, even if it's legal to do so (which I'm not yet sure it is).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline Jax

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2009, 03:46:56 AM »
Wow to each their own, I guess, but in this culture where we relate to our pets as family members that's just disgusting and wrong on so many levels.

I hope the dog nappers have left the county.

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2009, 04:14:49 AM »
JUST SO YA KNOW THE LINKS ARE "OPEN" ALREADY LOL     sorry caps

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2009, 05:28:47 AM »
Darrell, I'd eat a "Gains Burger" before I'd knowingly consume dawg meat..................

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »
It's to bad we can't pair up the "dog dumpers" with the "dog stealers" --- Then the people who want to keep their dogs could, and the people don't want their dogs would be taken care of as well.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm   just a thought from my tired head
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2009, 02:07:14 PM »
When i contacted USDA, they told me that they would immediately look into it but they never told me what they were actually going to do about it.  I did a copy/paste of the ad, kept it in my files and forwarded it to Patty Kemker at USDA.  Rollanet pulled the ad, but if i hadn't of just had surgery, i would have marched my happy ass right down in front of the restraunt, planted my butt on a rock, with a big sign and waved it at passing cars.  I had dog mares for a week after i read that.  I understand that the teriaki chicken that was battered, was actually cat meat.  I should have called these animal activists and sicked them on them.  Oh lordy would they have had a fit!!

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »
When i contacted USDA, they told me that they would immediately look into it but they never told me what they were actually going to do about it.  I did a copy/paste of the ad, kept it in my files and forwarded it to Patty Kemker at USDA.  Rollanet pulled the ad, but if i hadn't of just had surgery, i would have marched my happy ass right down in front of the restraunt, planted my butt on a rock, with a big sign and waved it at passing cars.  I had dog mares for a week after i read that.  I understand that the teriaki chicken that was battered, was actually cat meat.  I should have called these animal activists and sicked them on them.  Oh lordy would they have had a fit!!

That creates other issues... claiming that a meat is one thing when it's actually something different is illegal, even if you're claiming that the chicken is lamb or the turkey is ham. Of course, most people would immediately know if a familiar meat is something different from what's advertised.

I don't know how Chinese serve cats. The Korean way to serve cat meat is to puree it and serve it something like a protein drink. No, I haven't eaten cat, either, and I like that idea even less than eating dogs -- both disgust me, but I guess I just have even more of a weakness for cute furry purring animals. Cats ought to be collected under the covers to snuggle up with on cold winter nights, not served on a plate. (Can you tell I'm from Michigan, always had multiple cats growing up, and had parents who, like many others raised in the Great Depression, didn't believe in heating the house at night more than absolutely necessary to keep pipes from freezing?)
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
Here in the US, most people would find eating cat, dog, rat, a bit of a strange thing.  Personally, I wouldn't eat one of my own pets, but I would have no problem with trying cat, dog, rat, a number of insects (I actually did eat insects in the Army), etc., that someone who normally eats and prepares it, would serve to me.  Heck, in the US we eat pig, cow, chickens, guinea hens, shrimp, deer, lobster, mussels, clams, moldy cheese, fungus, etc. that other cultures would find disgusting!   It's a cultural thing, like monkey meat, monkey brains.  If it smells good (sometimes even if it doesn't), looks edible, I'll give it a shot.  In my family we were raised to try things, never say "yeck" before trying something....as my Pop would say, "try it, you may just like it".  He was right, as I love fried and smoked octopus (the smaller the better!), escargot, have had ostrich, emu, alligator, shark, etc.

Is it possible that the restaurant owners were looking for the meat for personal use?
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »
Is it possible that the restaurant owners were looking for the meat for personal use?

That's possible, and it's what I suspected from the beginning. Dog meat is a delicacy and would be sold at considerably more expensive prices than the regular menu items, not passed off as some other kind of meat. My personal guess is the restaurant owner was trying to obtain dog meat to prepare for his or her family and close friends.

As long as that was done at home using that family kitchen and wasn't offered for sale or actually sold to the public, it's probably legal to cook and serve dog, just like some people like to cook and serve possum or other wild game.

It would not be unusual for an Asian restaurant owner to have items that are not on the menu and will be prepared only for special guests, either because they take a lot of time to make and can't be produced on restaurant expectations of promptness, or because they require special ingredients, or because they can't be sold profitably at the prices most customers are willing to pay. But if meat that isn't approved for human consumption is being prepared in a common kitchen, even if it's after regular restaurant hours, there is probably still a health department issue.

Again, I am not an expert on food safety rules in Missouri. But this does raise some significant questions.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »
In my opinion, Eating dog or cat is sick no matter how you look at it.  I don't think that he wanted the dog/cat for his own personal use.  If he did we wouldn't ask for multiple but just a few. Kari, if my dad put a dog or cat meat in front of me and told me to eat it before i left the table, you would still see me sitting at the table the next morning. And afternoon, and evening. 

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2009, 04:58:48 AM »
In my opinion, Eating dog or cat is sick no matter how you look at it.  I don't think that he wanted the dog/cat for his own personal use.  If he did we wouldn't ask for multiple but just a few. Kari, if my dad put a dog or cat meat in front of me and told me to eat it before i left the table, you would still see me sitting at the table the next morning. And afternoon, and evening. 
I can understand your aversion.  I was just raised to try things, so it doesn't bother me.  People eat all kinds of things, and I really enjoy trying foods from around the world.  lmao, I could eat my way through every country without much of a problem, though some raw meats don't thrill me (I do have an aversion to blood)!
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2009, 06:03:04 AM »
what's wrong with eating dog or cat?  i've tasted the local cuisine here in the middle east several times, and i'm quite certain i've eaten one or both at some point. i could understand not wanting to eat your personal pet's, but meat is meat. taboo's over it are quite silly. if you are starving and don't wish to die, you will eat what is available..
hell, there's some cultures that make a ritual of eating people once they have passed. the person who dies has to sign off on it first though.. i'd like to sit in on that once, see if we really taste like pork or chicken.. might even let em have my body when i die in exchange for a taste, just to be fair..   once you get over the fact that the meat in front of you used to be human or dog or whatever, i'm sure it would go down just like the animals you consider eating "normal"....

but why are we talking about people eating dogs and who thinks it's gross or not? i thought this was a thread about people stealing dogs. i could care less WHY someone is out there stealing peoples pets. I just want to know WHO is doing it, and what I should be looking out for to keep mine safe....  I'm in Iraq, so I have to relay this information to the people caring for my dogs... so i need it to be as accurate as possible.. not guesses.
 has any of this been reported to the sheriff's department or the local news? I would like to forward any reports there may be on this topic.. stealing my car or breaking into my house is one thing. stealing a family member is another entirely. to me, it's kidnapping, not petnapping.  I would hate to have to come home and hunt some bastard down for stealing my children so they can make a quick buck... but it will happen if it has to, and that day will be one of the worst days of that poor fool's life..

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »
These fine people that are missing their beloved pets, im sure, are not enjoying reading about people eating dog meat. Im sure the very thought of their pets being stolen for that reason is upsetting to them. I guess its because i have never been exposed to it or if the whole idea of eating a dog or cat grosses me out. I just wouldn't knowingly eat it no matter how hungry i was.  I was raised on a farm where beef, chicken and pork were what i considered meat.  Outside of that, i wouldn't touch it.  I sure hope these people find thier missing pets.  I would be soooo upset if one of mine turned up missing.  Think i'd have to hunt them down and handle it in the ole fashion redneck way. 

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »
Getting back to what may be happenong to these dogs....... Several years ago I was down on the Gasconade River exploring some caves and came upon several BIG cat tracks. I am assuming they were cougar tracks. I also know that there have been cougars spotted at various time in Pulaski county. It could be that these dogs are being killed by these cougars. This is the time of year that they move from one area to the next. May not be happening but it might be. I know that something is going on.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »
what's wrong with eating dog or cat?  i've tasted the local cuisine here in the middle east several times, and i'm quite certain i've eaten one or both at some point.

I'm pretty sure you have not eaten dogs in the Middle East. I am no expert on Muslim dietary laws, but as far as I know dog meat is no more "hallal" than pork to a Muslim.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
like i said, "possibly"..   i have been on numerous foot patrols through the iraqi markets when i was in the infantry.. i saw more then a few dogs and cats being bled out in much the same manner i witnessed them doing goats and sheep before they butchered them..  so i have my doubts that all those kebab's were "kosher"...

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »
Great Americans Lewis and Clark ate dog meat during their 1803-1805 expedition to the Pacific Norhtwest. The expedition's records tell of young "Native American" Sacajawea's butchering and cooking fat puppies for the hungry soldiers on their trek into history.

FWIW: I haven't eaten dog or cat, but I have eaten bear, snake, and monkey (in Vietnam) and am still alive to tell about it. Yeah, it's a cultural thang!

BTW, Darrell, what happened to Clark Kent?
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Offline "DJ"

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2009, 01:15:41 AM »
Getting back to what may be happenong to these dogs....... Several years ago I was down on the Gasconade River exploring some caves and came upon several BIG cat tracks. I am assuming they were cougar tracks. I also know that there have been cougars spotted at various time in Pulaski county. It could be that these dogs are being killed by these cougars. This is the time of year that they move from one area to the next. May not be happening but it might be. I know that something is going on.
Last summer I was walking down to the river on T- Highway (to the  Gasconade bridge)  a man stopped and told me to turn around and not to go down there . He said he had just seen a mountain lion cross the road on the other side of the bridge(Swedeborg side) I came on back up the hill and told my bf about it . The man was very excited and I believed what he said. I checked out the Missouri Conservationist site that night and there  have been other Mountain Lion sightings in Pulaski County.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »
BTW, Darrell, what happened to Clark Kent?

It wasn;'t my idea to put the picture there. I got a number of comments that the icon was arrogant, unprofessional, etc., and always meant to remove it but never got around to figuring out how to do that. Then, on top of that when the Daily Guide has a reporter with the last name of "Kent," I decided I'd better get rid of it ASAP.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »
It wasn;'t my idea to put the picture there. I got a number of comments that the icon was arrogant, unprofessional, etc., and always meant to remove it but never got around to figuring out how to do that. Then, on top of that when the Daily Guide has a reporter with the last name of "Kent," I decided I'd better get rid of it ASAP.
Makes sense. For a minute there I thought you were going to tell me "The dog ate it!"
I'll keep my eye out for a suitable replacement and send it via email.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"