Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: The Age of the Earth  (Read 69988 times)

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Age of the Earth
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:01:42 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline $BillsBoy

• View Profile
Re: The Age of the Earth
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:50:52 AM »
Depends on your beliefs.
Have A Random Day!:D

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:52:13 AM »
Why does it matter?

retired1_us

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »
According to the show I watched last night, at least a couple.....hundred billion.

Fascinating show, but too pro-green for my taste.

Pangea was real.  We can prove that without carbon dating.  It took a long time to get from there to here.

Don't take this too personal fish, but if we all took the "why does it matter" attitude, the modern western world would be no further advanced than the other 80% of the planet's populace.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »
No offense taken. I just like to concentrate on issues that matter. the age of the earth doesn't matter to me. It will always be an unproven theory that settles nothing. Now , is the world flat? That was a valid question years ago, adventure is one thing,spinning wheels on something without substance is another.

Offline just_me

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »
Fish.....if it doesn't matter to you then state it that way. Finding out a more accurate age of the earth may help determine the age of other things, such as bone remains, pottery shards and things like that. If it doesn't matter to you, then thats fine....dont post. It may matter to other people and it may be an issue that does matter to them...... $$$##@

retired1_us

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:08:03 AM »
Fish.....if it doesn't matter to you then state it that way. Finding out a more accurate age of the earth may help determine the age of other things, such as bone remains, pottery shards and things like that. If it doesn't matter to you, then thats fine....dont post. It may matter to other people and it may be an issue that does matter to them...... $$$##@

Free thought and free speech.  May they never end.  ;)

DN - You started the thread, just provoking?  What are your thoughts?

Offline just_me

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:01:35 AM »
Free thought and free speech.  May they never end.  ;)

retired1_us....... you are absolutely right, but if the subject at hand doesn't matter to you then why bother with mentioning anything...??? To say it doesn't matter, then why not follow it up with why it doesn't matter. That would be contributing to the thread. Should we all just randomly post on any thread we feel like and say it doesn't matter and throw it under the guise of freedom of speech ???

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:11:44 AM »
I'm just provoking thought...

It was brought up in another thread that the Earth is something like 40,000 years old (I don't remember the exact number.)

I just cannot bring myself to believe such a low number as that given everything else that Science HAS proven dealing with how things work in nature.  Let just forget Carbon Dating because someone will just say "Well, thats not accurate"

Let's just think for a minute how long it takes for anything to petrify.

Lets think about Dinosaur bones also.  I know... this has been used before and "it proves nothing" right?  So... WHY are they there?  Did someone plant them to grow some Dinosaurs but just forgot to water them or something?  LOL.

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:14 AM »
haha ! if thats the case i need some dino bones.. i won't forget the water ;)...back on subject..
old..older than dirt..what ? wait haha lol lets just say 40 billion years..cause weren't the dino's here 40 million years ago ?
Addiciting and expensive just like cocaine

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:32:10 AM »
No... yes... MAYBE.  I don't know.  I guess this all depends on your perception of reality.

Just as with anything else in our existence.

haha ! if thats the case i need some dino bones.. i won't forget the water ;)...back on subject..
old..older than dirt..what ? wait haha lol lets just say 40 billion years..cause weren't the dino's here 40 million years ago ?

shadylane

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
This question could get you killed a few centuries ago. The battle between science and faith marches on, but with fewer casualties.

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 11:52:01 AM »
All the leading scientists say the earth is 4.5 billion years old!
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Kitty Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
The simplest form of isotopic age computation involves substituting three measurements into an equation of four variables, and solving for the fourth. The equation is the one which describes radioactive decay:

P now = P orig . 2 [ - age/halflife]

Pnow - The quantity of the parent isotope that remains now. This is measured directly.
Porig - The quantity of the parent isotope that was originally present. This is computed from the current quantity of parent isotope plus the accumulated quantity of daughter isotope.
halflife - The half-life of the parent isotope. Standard values are used, based on direct measurements. (Constancy of decay rate is covered in the Age of the Earth FAQ.)
age - The value computed from the equation and the other three quantities, is the amount of time which has passed..... lol

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 06:58:20 PM »
Huh ?
~Teilhard de Chardin

retired1_us

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »
Should we all just randomly post on any thread we feel like and say it doesn't matter and throw it under the guise of freedom of speech ???

No.  I wouldn't suggest that.  Some folks like to interface with others and share ideas.  You apparently are one of those.  Others just prefer theirs is the only one heard.  The uniqueness of this venue is their words stand before many - somewhat immortal even.  "This is who I am"....take it or leave it.

retired1_us

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »
Huh ?

LOL, you beat me to the punch on that one.  I'm curious about the daughter isotope thing....no mention of the guys.  Wassup wi that?

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:40 PM »
The simplest form of isotopic age computation involves substituting three measurements into an equation of four variables, and solving for the fourth. The equation is the one which describes radioactive decay:

P now = P orig . 2 [ - age/halflife]

Pnow - The quantity of the parent isotope that remains now. This is measured directly.
Porig - The quantity of the parent isotope that was originally present. This is computed from the current quantity of parent isotope plus the accumulated quantity of daughter isotope.
halflife - The half-life of the parent isotope. Standard values are used, based on direct measurements. (Constancy of decay rate is covered in the Age of the Earth FAQ.)
age - The value computed from the equation and the other three quantities, is the amount of time which has passed..... lol

LOL, you beat me to the punch on that one.  I'm curious about the daughter isotope thing....no mention of the guys.  Wassup wi that?

Only because guys can't birth anything. Yet.
Heck is where people go when they don't believe in Gosh.

retired1_us

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 08:19:27 PM »
Only because guys can't birth anything. Yet.

Hahaha I like that "Yet"  Well, you can count this guy out of the experimental lineup ROFL

I cry when I have a male dog neutered.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 03:26:35 AM »
same right to free speech as you justme? Don't like my answer? don't read it. If scientists can't figure out the half life of pvc,why waste time with aging the earth? What is important about the age of bones? How long they have been dead? Aging of certain things can also be determined through history. How old is the 1st history book?

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 06:07:11 AM »
How old ARE dinosaur bones fish?

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
same right to free speech as you justme? Don't like my answer? don't read it. If scientists can't figure out the half life of pvc,why waste time with aging the earth? What is important about the age of bones? How long they have been dead? Aging of certain things can also be determined through history. How old is the 1st history book?

The age of the earth is important to being able to accurately predict future events. If we can say with reasonable certainty "The earth is 4.6 billion years old," then use that number as our starting point when we study geological records, weather cycles, dinosaur bones, meteor strikes, and so on, then we can better predict and prepare for major distasters.

Right now, there are several issues that come to mind:

1. Global warming - Is it because of humans or is it because of normal shifts in the earth's atmosphere as some believe?

2. El Nino/La Nina - Records show that storms are worsening significantly, costing more lives and more dollars than at any time over the last 30 years. We don't have weather records per se for ancient times, but we can evaluate storm data and such from the geological records. This is important for safety and can even affect insurance costs as more data is known.

3. Religion - A majority of people (if not all) are affected by religion, whether it's their direct beliefs or laws imposed by those who inject their religious beliefs into legislation. By knowing the age of the earth and studying the evolution of humans and human technology, it could affect our society as a whole. Some believe it's 4.6 billion years old and that homo sapiens are latecomers who evolved about 40,000 years ago, while others believe it's 6,000 years old and that humans were there from the beginning. Knowing the age of the earth beyond a doubt would affect thousands of people and change our culture to a degree.

Heck is where people go when they don't believe in Gosh.

retired1_us

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 01:31:08 PM »
Well said K.  Without a basis we cannot prepare or try to predict.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 01:55:50 PM »
If we knew all the answers there would be no need for faith. God won't allow this he wants all of us to have faith.So even though science and the bible sometimes don't agree we must have faith.Or burn in hell!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline just_me

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 06:28:17 PM »
Like I said before, add to the thread, dont just say why does it matter......contribute!!!

Offline just_me

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »
If we knew all the answers there would be no need for faith. God won't allow this he wants all of us to have faith.So even though science and the bible sometimes don't agree we must have faith.Or burn in hell!
Thats fine for those that have faith.......faith (no matter what each individual chooses) is just that something to believe in, to give comfort. I seriously don't buy in to "god won't allow....."

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 09:30:36 PM »
It's HOT down there dude!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 04:20:17 AM »
then why isn't the farmers almanac more accurate?
The earth is a living entity. it goes through cycles that are not fixed in duration. Global warming started when the ice age stopped. what caused that? Cavemen driving their cars around??
Why are the predictions for this hurricane season off? Aging the earth hasn't helped the accuracy of weather predictions.
If storms are worsening why is the southeast running out of water? An awful lot of unfounded maybe's out there. The age of the earth is irrelevant to the present. more gas for the fire.

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06:40 PM »
Cavemen existed 40,000 years ago?

then why isn't the farmers almanac more accurate?
The earth is a living entity. it goes through cycles that are not fixed in duration. Global warming started when the ice age stopped. what caused that? Cavemen driving their cars around??
Why are the predictions for this hurricane season off? Aging the earth hasn't helped the accuracy of weather predictions.
If storms are worsening why is the southeast running out of water? An awful lot of unfounded maybe's out there. The age of the earth is irrelevant to the present. more gas for the fire.

shadylane

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
The age of the earth is very relevant. As to adding "more gas for the fire" maybe a little more light will help to illuminate the truth. But then that may not be acceptale to those who wish us to remain in the dark.