Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: VILLAGE INN  (Read 9041 times)

Offline ♣♥Young & Foolish♥♣

• View Profile
Re: VILLAGE INN
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline soso

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 02:11:29 PM »
yes when it was first built it was a Howard Johnson.
"Life should NOT be a  journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving  safely in  an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather to skid in   sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly  used up, totally worn  out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Author Unknown

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
Howard Johnson pulled their name because Norman wouldn't conform to the way the HJ hotels were to be run.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

retired1_us

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »
Howard Johnson pulled their name because Norman wouldn't conform to the way the HJ hotels were to be run.

He didn't ever follow through with the Village Inn thing either to my rocollection.  That all happened about the same time it closed.  I heard a lot of different things as to why / why not.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
They had the hotel for years before the name was changed to HOJO.  HOJO lasted a very short time and I also heard that Norman wouldn't conform.  I hear whenever he started scratching his head we was ready to go off.  HOJO had managers that wouldn't get left alone by Fields and they pulled their names.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 07:25:40 PM »
I watched alot of action over there all day sunday and couldnt figure out why they started tearing down the building if the investigation wasnt done yet. They pulled down the entrance and started pushing in the walls in on itself. I watched this for quite a while. It seemed kind of early if the investigation wasn't over with yet. none of that collapsed.....It was pulled down and pushed in with a big piece of construction equipment. I understand that the danger of leaving it up could hurt someone messing around up there. It just seemed like it was a little early if they dont have the investigation completed.
Biscuit

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
If an investigation is even being done.  From what you posted, sounds like one isn't being done or they already did it. If they hadn't done one yet, they sure wouldn't have pushed down walls and the like to cover evidence in the building.  Or, could they have already known what the deal was?  Who knows at this point, but sounds pretty strange if you ask me.

Offline sway-

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
This is the huge empty hotel right outside the front gate ? I thought they closed it down/made off limits because the owner pushed a soldier off the top balcony ? I thought this place closed in the mid 90s ?
Addiciting and expensive just like cocaine

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »
It DID close back in 96 or 97.  But there have been squatters and bums and crack heads hanging out in there.  The owner would do stuff like if a guest ordered out pizza instead of eating at his restraunt, he'd drag them out and toss them in the driveway. 

This is the huge empty hotel right outside the front gate ? I thought they closed it down/made off limits because the owner pushed a soldier off the top balcony ? I thought this place closed in the mid 90s ?
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
If an investigation is even being done.  From what you posted, sounds like one isn't being done or they already did it. If they hadn't done one yet, they sure wouldn't have pushed down walls and the like to cover evidence in the building.  Or, could they have already known what the deal was?  Who knows at this point, but sounds pretty strange if you ask me.
well thats what I figured at first but the paper said today that the investigation is still ongoing.....thats why I felt oddly about what i seen sunday.
I figured sunday that they already knew what happened.
Biscuit

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »
Well, we all know that by the time the DG gets published the news is sometimes several days old.  That could be the problem with the article, vice, what you saw on the ground Sunday.  The paper was most likely dated Friday or sooner.  By the way, when was the fire?

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
early sunday morning about 1:30 on
Biscuit

Offline sassy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »
Thank you Taz.I dont go that way very much so anything going on that part of town is knew news to me.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 06:45:20 AM »
No problem. I used to know someonig that lived there (Bagley) and that is why I know is was condenmed and everyone had to move out, something to do with the sewer system was not up to speck
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »
I don't see why there has to be an investigation anyhow.  If no one died, it's just best that it burned down.  Now scoop it away and clean up that awful mess.  Maybe something nice will go in there and the soldiers families don't have to see that eyesore right before they go through our beautiful new front gate.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »
I wouldn't count on it!  It's been sitting there for years going down hill since it was closed and nothing ever got accomplished.  With luck, we might see something happen if someone is willing to pay the price the owners want.  I don't know what that is, but rest assured it's a bunch of $.  With most of it being burnt down that could lower the clean up cost and someone might do something.  We can only hope.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »
I don't see why there has to be an investigation anyhow.  If no one died, it's just best that it burned down.  Now scoop it away and clean up that awful mess.  Maybe something nice will go in there and the soldiers families don't have to see that eyesore right before they go through our beautiful new front gate.

Insurance?  Fraud?  Not saying this is the case, but if I were an insurance company, or if I had the same insurance company the owners do, I'd want an investigation.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline B_Walker

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
Hello all,

This is an old discussion thread.  I believe since 2008 a group brought the property, tore down most of the hotel, then went bust during the housing meltdown.

In any case, I'm researching the area around the front gate for development.  I'm interested in understanding its history and what worked/didn't work.  If anyone was around back in the days of Norman Fields or Wayne Miller, I would love the opportunity to trade some email chats.

Many thanks.

Offline ladybulldog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
Sometimes in real estate, there are just some places that are no good, have no luck or are just plain....bad.  This place (village inn) ever since I can remember it, has always had bad things associated with it.  If I had the money to develop, I would look elsewhere.  Sometimes the history is the lesson.  However, the local community does have many good things to offer and I hope you will continue your efforts.  Good luck!

Offline B_Walker

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »
I understand your hesitancy.   Still the location could be successful. 

I know the guys in the previous investment group that were involved, including the lead contractor that bulldozed the hotel back in 2008.  (or partially bulldozed since most of the foundation is still there).  He commented that the mayor, the base commander and the local Congressman were all thrilled the day that building came down.  The base had classified it as off limits for a variety of safety and criminal reasons.   Unfortunately, they tried to start development in 2008, just as the housing bubble burst, and banks ran for bomb shelters (or golf courses depending on your point of view about bankers), not to return for a few years. 

Still, I would like to understand more how the property evolved. 

As I understand it from this thread, Wayne Miller and Normal Fields were partners in a convenience store on old highway 17.   There was basically nothing at the front gate on old highway 17 except a camp ground of some kind run by the Thomas family.  Then a trailer court was created, not sure who created and when, was formed.  Then Normal took over both?   In any case, there was a hotel built (by Norman or Wayne/Norman?) in the 80's (Village Inn).  That would put it around the time of Missouri Avenue build?  Then it went HoJo for a year or two - late 80's?  Then the hotel has a mixed history until the mid 90's when there was a fire - Norman either took over somewhere or Wayne was never involved.   Norman got it placed off limits by the base for improper use of hotel rooms and trailer park.   ;D   Then there was a fire and battle with the city for years.  Finally in 2008 the property got purchased and tore down - partially. 

Can anyone give me an idea if my flow is right or add in the details?

I guess if the MoJo of the HoJo is bad, we could bring in a local shaman to cleanse and bless the place.   

Many thanks.

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 06:38:25 AM »
I lived there in the late 70's when it was a trailer court~ all they had then was a convience store~

Offline B_Walker

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 01:16:36 AM »
I lived there in the late 70's when it was a trailer court~ all they had then was a convience store~

I've been told that Wayne Miller was Norman's partner, then Norman took over the convenience store and trailer park.  I haven't found any records of Wayne Miller.   Did you ever know Wayne?   

Do you know when Norman (or Wayne Miller and Norman) purchased the 60 acres for the trailer park and from who?   

I found some records for a Scott Bench and Angelia Bench from the late 80s.  Not sure who they are.

My main goal right now is just to understand the history of this property before any movement  forward on it. 
I do like it from a location point of view. 

Many thanks,

B_Walker

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 02:55:00 AM »
I moved into the trailer court in 1970.  At the time, it was owned by Wayne and Gladys Miller.  Wayne ran off to Costa Rica with the woman I bought my trailer from and they never returned to do business in the area.  The store was there when I lived there along with a car wash and gas station.  I worked for Norman Fields in the convenience store for a year or so.  I can tell you that in the early 70's it was a great place to live.  A very large and well maintained trailer court.  After Norman Fields became involved it seemed to go down hill.  I think he tried to do to much.  He built a bunch of apartments in the back of the trailer court, then built the hotel.  Greed can cause a lot of problems.  I think it would be an excellent place for a business or businesses.  If I were you, I would be more worried about the stability of Fort Leonard Wood, than the history of that property.   Are you talking Village Inn the restaurant?  They had a restaurant similar to that here that went out of business.  Might want to check that out too.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline ladybulldog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:53 AM »
Keep us posted on your progress.  I hope it all works out for you. 

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »
Worked at village inn late 1989, and was structural damage then on the crosswalks on the second floor.  Best i can remember the trailer park and apartments were behind the Village in.  I agree with a previous poster i would be more worried about the stability of Ft Wood the the history of the land
Hope you bring in something the area needs.  Even though i dont live in the area. I still think of Ft Wood and pulaski county as home

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 03:28:44 AM »
The property would be a gold mine. Everybody is right. The stability of the area and.fort Leonard wood are far more important than the history.
Biscuit

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2013, 01:56:49 AM »
There is a man that lives in Waynesville who ran the trailer court for Wayne and then for Norman.  I'll send you a PM with  his name.  He could give you a lot of information on the property.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!