Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?  (Read 147546 times)

Offline Pete

• View Profile
Re: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2010, 02:42:48 AM »

Share/Bookmark

If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2010, 03:41:00 AM »
Republican

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2010, 03:50:04 AM »
Does anyone know anything about him?

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2010, 04:02:21 AM »
I assume you are talking about Jeffrey Thomas. He is attorney James Thomas' son.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2010, 05:17:11 AM »
I assume you are talking about Jeffrey Thomas. He is attorney James Thomas' son.

That statement should say a LOT!!!  *eyeroll*
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »
please explain "that should say alot"  I don't know this guy. 

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2010, 12:53:41 AM »
She really can't explain because she already had one post deleted because she did say what she thought about a couple of them  ;D
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2010, 02:54:15 AM »

OK, I'll speak up and say a few things that are public knowledge, without going into my opinion of Jim Thomas (which actually isn't bad, but I'd rather not discuss it because it is only my opinion and not necessarily based on documentable facts).

1. Jim Thomas is a criminal defense lawyer. Historically, he's defended a number of people most law enforcement personnel would consider "scumbags," but who have enough money to pay a competent lawyer rather than relying on the public defender.

2. That fact makes law enforcement upset. Jim Thomas' job is to get accused criminals off the hook. That's what criminal defense lawyers do, and it's their constitutional right and obligation to defend their clients to the best of their ability. But anytime you have a criminal defense attorney who does a good job, he'll be unpopular with law enforcement in direct relationship to how popular he is with his clients.

3. Our current prosecutor stated publicly on a regular basis prior to her election that she avoided taking clients in private practice on which she would have a conflict of interest if she were elected prosecutor. That argument was used -- and used successfully -- by Deborah Hooper against John Garrabrandt four years ago and we can expect she'll use it again against Jeff Thomas, with the added complication that while John Garrabrandt could quit his private practice, we can't expect that Jeff Thomas will demand that his father stop practicing law.

At a minimum, the result will be that the county will have to pay a lot of money to hire special prosecutors. That's not unique to Jim and Jeff Thomas; it would have been the case four years ago if John Garrabrandt or Wayne Gifford had been elected.

But there is a difference.

Let's take a step back from this for a moment. Imagine what it will be like to have a prosecutor whose father has, for several decades, been defending the category of people the prosecutor is supposed to be working to put in jail. I'm sure somebody can find some precedents somewhere in Missouri of a son working to put the type of people in jail who his father is trying to defend, but at the very minimum it's going to be an interesting situation.

None of this is trying to support or oppose Jeff Thomas. A good case can be made that he's the better of the two Republican candidates, and right now, those of us who are Republicans have **ONLY** those two choices unless somebody else decides to file. But it is going to be a complicated situation if Jeff Thomas wins.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2010, 04:06:31 AM »
I agree about Garrabrant, I personally thought he was a pretty sharp attorney and voted for him in the last election however, I would vote for Donald Duck over Deborah Hooper.  Once you have been in the office and have proven not to do a good job you do not deserve a second chance. 

For the record, the "guy with green and black signs", Jeff Thomas, graduated from law school in June of 2009... ummm he didn't even have his bar results as of August, so technically he has had approximately 1/2 of a year experience in law.  Absolutely NOT enough to the lead prosecutor of our county.
Thomas, Jeffrey Edward
Bar Number: 61821
Date Admitted: 9/9/2009
Waynesville, MO 65583 US

SEPTEMBER, he has been an attorney since SEPTEMBER!!!!

Jim Thomas his father, was suspended from the bar on at least one occasion and has had numerous complaints.  Surely you can, be deductive reasoning, figure out what my opinion is.
Women are Angels

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
Your going to vote for Gifford.

Offline mo-abc

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »
Darrell - very interesting post. I had never hear of him until I saw the signs go up around town. It would make for a complicated and possibly costly situation.

Does anyone know what the requirements for being the prosecuting attorney are?  It doesn't seem like someone with a few months of experience would be able to run for office?

The choice for me will be who is the best person for the job - not which party they are from.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
Your going to vote for Gifford.

uhhh that will be a big negative. haha I'm still holding out hope another individual will file. *wink wink*
Women are Angels

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
There shouldn’t even be a party affiliation with the jobs of prosecuting attorney or sheriff. The law is the law, regardless of which party a person may belong to.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »
I don't think anyone should compare him with his dad or any other attorneys in the area.  He's brand new and maybe that's what this county needs.  Someone who is ready to push his sleeves up and work hard to make his reputation!  What better way to "cut his teeth," than to ride into Dodge and clean things up...

....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
In reguards the DTM's post, the 2nd paragraph reads something to the effect of "Jim Thomas' job is to get criminals off the hook."

As a former law enforcement officer with several years of experience of investigating crimes and bringing people to justice, my opinion of what Criminal Defense Attornies are doing is:
"Their Job Is To Make Sure I've Done Mine!"
If law enforcement and prosecutors looked at the judicial system in that light, they would probably do better jobs done in arresting and prosecuting alleged offenders.
All accused are entitled to adequate defense counsel. That's the way our system works.
JMHO. 

Remembering this in considering the topic at hand....... maybe a defense guy/gal would make a better prosecutor than a family law guy/gal.

Just throwing that out for discussion.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »
I don't think anyone should compare him with his dad or any other attorneys in the area.  He's brand new and maybe that's what this county needs.  Someone who is ready to push his sleeves up and work hard to make his reputation!  What better way to "cut his teeth," than to ride into Dodge and clean things up...

That is my point, irregardless of who his dad is. He's new, brand new...  He's inexperienced... FAR too inexperienced.  Being the prosecuting attorney is knowing when to plead some cases out and knowing what to take to trial.  And if he has to go to trial, knowing how to prepare for said trial.  An attorney practicing only 6 months does NOT have that experience at all. 

If he truly wants the position he needs to spend time as an assistant APA somewhere and learn.

Furthermore, those of us who've been here for a while know that Jim Thomas has a significant influence on his son.  And it's that influence I'm not willing to have inside the PA's office.

If you had ever worked inside a prosecutors office, you would not want a brand new attorney "cutting their teeth" in the top prosecutorial position, that is just a recipe for disaster. Especially if Wayne Gifford loses to him...
Women are Angels

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »
I do not believe, based on what I have hear, that Jeff Thomas would be able to be "on his own" and his dad would have a lot of influence.  I do not believe a person with six months of experience can get the job done, but I want to hear from him.  Does anyone know him and can get him on here like Garabrandt did?

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
many of our past prosecutors have been new to the bar...so it certainly is not new to this county...good or bad, you all decide. I have no opinion on that...I do think that BB has a valid point about working for a prosecutor and learning the ropes.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »
I do not believe, based on what I have hear, that Jeff Thomas would be able to be "on his own" and his dad would have a lot of influence.  I do not believe a person with six months of experience can get the job done, but I want to hear from him.

A factor to consider is that despite Jeff Thomas' lack of trial experience, he and his father, working together, pretty much blew Deborah Hooper away in a recent criminal trial despite her decades of experience.

Does anyone know him and can get him on here like Garabrandt did?

I do not know Jeff Thomas very well at all, but I run into him periodically in my work. If nobody else does, I will raise the issue with him.

I believe it would be much better if someone else does the inviting, however. He will believe -- correctly -- that an invitation by a news reporter to join a discussion site is an invitation to an online interview with thousands of people watching.

Those who have watched me for a while know that I don't generally do aggressive interview-style questioning of public officials here in these forums. I save that for private interviews or public candidate forums where people know they need to be prepared, and if they aren't, it's their fault.

But Jeff Thomas doesn't know that, and I am not sure I would accept if I were in his shoes if a reporter asked me.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »
Auctioneer Ed is right. I'll stand by my statement because it's easier to understand and it's the way many (perhaps most) criminal defense attorneys think, but Auctioneer Ed is providing some important additional balance and nuance.

We live in a constitutional republic with checks and balances. Profit motivates many criminal defense attorneys; ideology, a desire to defend the defenseless, and a sense of "fair play" motivates others. But regardless of motive, the system works by ensuring that people accused of a crime get at least some level of legal representation, which is absolutely essential to democracy and justice, and that prevents police and prosecutors from running roughshod over people's constitutional rights.

In reguards the DTM's post, the 2nd paragraph reads something to the effect of "Jim Thomas' job is to get criminals off the hook."

As a former law enforcement officer with several years of experience of investigating crimes and bringing people to justice, my opinion of what Criminal Defense Attornies are doing is:
"Their Job Is To Make Sure I've Done Mine!"
If law enforcement and prosecutors looked at the judicial system in that light, they would probably do better jobs done in arresting and prosecuting alleged offenders.
All accused are entitled to adequate defense counsel. That's the way our system works.
JMHO. 

Remembering this in considering the topic at hand....... maybe a defense guy/gal would make a better prosecutor than a family law guy/gal.

Just throwing that out for discussion.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »
My turn, the smart officer covers all bases in his case and has the needed info on each elelmet of the case to block the defense from using it to their advantage. Or as you put your case together play defense in your mind and locate the weak spots then do something about those spots. Make a SOLID case for submission and yes make sure you do not step on any civil rights of the defendent. Again make a SOLID case.

JB

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 13, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
That is my point, irregardless of who his dad is. He's new, brand new...  He's inexperienced... FAR too inexperienced.  Being the prosecuting attorney is knowing when to plead some cases out and knowing what to take to trial.  And if he has to go to trial, knowing how to prepare for said trial.  An attorney practicing only 6 months does NOT have that experience at all. 

If he truly wants the position he needs to spend time as an assistant APA somewhere and learn.

What about a judge that never practiced as an attorney?

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
What about a judge that never practiced as an attorney?

While this has happened in the past, it hasn't happened in a very very long time. In today's day and age, I wouldn't vote for a judge who's never practice either.

Attorneys who've has many years experience will take advantage of a beginning attorney.  I know I've seen it happen. It does not behoove us to put our county in that position.
Women are Angels

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 13, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »
The question is that better than what we have now a do nothing with all that experience

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »
It takes a lot to get me to publicly and openly take sides in a local election. I'm doing it with this post, and I expect I'm going to have some serious negative consequences as a result.

However, I can't see how things could possibly get any worse in the prosecutor's office in its relationship with me as a member of the media, so I guess I have nothing to lose by saying publicly what I've believed for a long time about Mrs. Hooper's utter inability even to do some of the most basic parts of her job.

That's not to say that I'm happy with either of Mrs. Hooper's opponents. I think most people familiar with the court system and the three candidates who are running (so far) realize that all three have issues. We do not have a perfect candidate out there.

Many of us would think the six-digit salary that the next prosecuting attorney will get from the county should attract good candidates. The simple fact is that it does not.

There are two reasons for that.

First, the best lawyers, even in rural area like this, are quite capable of earning far more in private practice. Well-qualified lawyers who decide to practice in rural areas have already decided they're going to take a big pay cut over what they could earn in a larger city. Only a relatively small number of them are going to want to take even more of a pay cut to be a county prosecutor.

Second, being the prosecutor comes with an incredible amount of crap, and nowhere near enough resources to handle it. Look at what Sheriff King has had to put up with from the public, from elected officials, and from a budget crisis that is completely beyond his control. Now add to that the issues involved in dealing with five city police departments, the sheriff's department, the state patrol, the conservation department (poaching) and numerous other agencies, and all the criminals they arrest, and you have a very high-stress job that many of the best lawyers believe isn't worth their time.

Since a massive pay raise for the prosecutor, who is already the county's highest-paid employee, isn't even remotely possible, what do we do next?

I have opinions -- strong opinions -- on Mrs. Hooper and Mr. Gifford. My opinions are based on many conversations over a four-year period with law enforcement personnel and I have yet to find a single law enforcement officer in this county who has an opinion of Mrs. Hooper that is positive, though some stay quiet to avoid trouble. If there is a policeman anywhere in this county who thinks Mrs. Hooper is doing a good job, I'd like to hear from that person and will be happy to interview him/her about why he/she likes Mrs. Hooper and thinks she's doing a good job.

And yes, Mrs. Hooper -- that is a challenge to you. Find somebody willing to endorse you who is wearing a police uniform and I'll interview him. I have a feeling I'll be waiting for a long time for Mrs. Hooper to produce even one person in law enforcement willing to go on the record with me in a sit-down interview to explain why the officer supports her work.

That means I already know how I will vote if Hooper vs. Gifford ends up being the choice in the general election, it won't be for the candidate I voted for last time, and that's not going to be a surprise to either of them.

I don't know Jeff Thomas and he deserves a chance to explain himself. I frankly don't yet know what I'm going to do in the Republican primary this fall if my choices are between him and Mrs. Hooper.

But put bluntly, I can't see how an inexperienced prosecuting attorney right out of a no-name law school in a different state whose father is a criminal defense attorney could possibly be any worse than what we have now.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Darrell Todd Maurina

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
wow....

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »
Right on Darrell  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline murfyzlaw

• My beautiful grandsons
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
Thanks for your opinion Mr. Maurina, I share your opinion 1000%, I am waiting to hear more from her opponents.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Remember that no matter how bad things are in your life, there are others dealing with much worse obstacles, and be thankful for what you have.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »
Darrell, I have to say that I agree with you 99%, with the exception of your last sentence.  Police officers will be very frustrated to deal with an inexperienced lawyer.  Hooper was inexperienced in criminal law when she was elected and I said it was a mistake then.  Hindsight is always 20/20.... even though sometimes it's nice to say "I told you so", :-) Please know I am just teasing.

I am not endorsing Wayne Gifford, I have very strong opinions on him myself, but if the choice is going to be only between those two... I will choose Gifford.  My personal opinions on the way he carries himself and interacts with the Judges etc. will have to be put aside.  Out of those two, Gifford, KNOWS the law.  That is one benefit he has going for him.  Out of all three, IF they are the only three.... I'm choking while I state this... Wayne Gifford is finally going to get my vote.

Hopefully we'll get another runner before the March 25th meet the candidates at East Elementary!!
Women are Angels

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
Good work Darrell.  I agree.  For the record, does anybody know how many prosecutions have resulted in a guilty verdict under Mrs. Hooper?  Does anybody know how many cases have not even made it to trial yet under Mrs.Hooper?  I don't know I'm just wondering if anybody has her record and can make it public on here.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!