Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?  (Read 147739 times)

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
Re: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I filed for prosecutor today and welcome any questions folks may have about what my plans are, who I am, my experience, why I want the job etc.  I hope to have my website up and running tonight.

Thanks,
Kevin Hillman
Candidate for Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »
Welcome aboard my son!!!!!

JB

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »
Let me know when you have a link.

I filed for prosecutor today and welcome any questions folks may have about what my plans are, who I am, my experience, why I want the job etc.  I hope to have my website up and running tonight.

Thanks,
Kevin Hillman

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
Pulaski County Web endorses Kevin Hillman for Prosecuting Attorney.

I'm writing this not to criticize or disagree with Rick, just to note that Rick Lepard and I run separate businesses. Some people don't know that and are going to come across this post and assume that Rick speaks for me or that I speak for Rick.

My only endorsement in this race, at least so far, is a negative one ... almost anyone would be better than the incumbent prosecutor, Deborah Hooper. I've written about my reasons previously on this thread.

Ms. Hooper needs to be gone. Whether Kevin Hillman, Jeff Thomas or Wayne Gifford would be best to replace her is a legitimate question for voters to review in the next few months.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2010, 10:31:45 PM »
 Thanks,
Kevin Hillman

Others will ask lots of questions so I'll leave the obvious ones (i.e., why do you want the job, why vote for you and not your opponents) to others. I'll be asking those things later in a formal interview closer to the Republican primary in August.

But here are some more specialized questions others probably won't ask.

Question 1: Please describe your understanding of the Missouri Sunshine Law and how, if elected prosecutor, you will handle city councils, school boards, the county commission, and other government agencies that you believe are violating it.

Question 2: Sheriff JB King appears to have already endorsed you on this board and even more clearly on the "other board." Please outline your relationship with local law enforcement agencies, how you will treat requests from them to file charges, and how you will handle situations where you do not believe the police officer or deputy has given you enough in the probable cause statement to file a credible charge against an alleged offender.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »
"""""Question 2: Sheriff JB King appears to have already endorsed you on this board and even more clearly on the "other board." Please outline your relationship with local law enforcement agencies, how you will treat requests from them to file charges, and how you will handle situations where you do not believe the police officer or deputy has given you enough in the probable cause statement to file a credible charge against an alleged offender."""""

As a sheriff you are filed on for lawsuits all the time. Many are strange cases, types of legal actions you have never heard about etc. Mr. Hillman, a fellow Republican, has been very kind to me over the past three years to provide sound legal advice on these actions without cost to me or the county. Some of these consults have taken a lot of time. So yes I am happy to see him in the race. I have a very high opinion of him as a person and as a lawyer.

JB

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »
Kevin Hillman has my vote unequivocally!!!!!  I was on pins and needles today waiting to hear if we had an additional candidate! :-) I was very glad when I heard.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2010, 11:25:23 PM »
Now we have another alternative to eliminate Hooper in the primary - THAT IS FANTASTIC

Offline Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:06 AM »

Thanks,
Kevin Hillman

Thank you Kevin for filing.  You have the support of our family.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2010, 03:27:58 AM »
I'm writing this not to criticize or disagree with Rick, just to note that Rick Lepard and I run separate businesses. Some people don't know that and are going to come across this post and assume that Rick speaks for me or that I speak for Rick.

My only endorsement in this race, at least so far, is a negative one ... almost anyone would be better than the incumbent prosecutor, Deborah Hooper. I've written about my reasons previously on this thread.

Ms. Hooper needs to be gone. Whether Kevin Hillman, Jeff Thomas or Wayne Gifford would be best to replace her is a legitimate question for voters to review in the next few months.
OMG DTM!  I do not remember you EVER being so "political" to the point of voicing such strong opposition.  I darn near fell off my chair. 

After reading the questions you've poised to Kevin Hillman, I am really hoping that you'll be able to post questions to the Candidates right here on PCW!  I can tell you I will be looking forward to such a thread!!
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2010, 03:41:30 AM »
so do we need to create a new thread for questions for candidates?  Since this was kinda a "bash on Hooper" thread.
Women are Angels

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2010, 04:12:04 AM »
Here are my answers to Darrell's questions.  Sorry for the delay, my girls had a soccer game tonight.  My oldest scored 2 goals any my youngest had an assist!

Others will ask lots of questions so I'll leave the obvious ones (i.e., why do you want the job, why vote for you and not your opponents) to others. I'll be asking those things later in a formal interview closer to the Republican primary in August.

But here are some more specialized questions others probably won't ask.

Question 1: Please describe your understanding of the Missouri Sunshine Law and how, if elected prosecutor, you will handle city councils, school boards, the county commission, and other government agencies that you believe are violating it.

I deal with the Sunshine Act on a daily basis in my capacity as city attorney for St. Robert.  Basically, everything is an open record/open meeting unless it deals with very specific exceptions.  The main ones that we deal with on a daily basis are personnel issues, pending litigation, and real estate purchases/sale/leases. 

I would try and advise each of the boards of the rules of the Sunshine Act to help with compliance.  Keep in mind that the prosecutor is the attorney for the county commission, but each city and school board has their own separate attorney to advise them.  I will have to be careful not to interfere their attorney's advice.  If it is a serious violation, one that I think was knowing and purposeful, then criminal charges may be appropriate.  That would be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Question 2: Sheriff JB King appears to have already endorsed you on this board and even more clearly on the "other board." Please outline your relationship with local law enforcement agencies, how you will treat requests from them to file charges, and how you will handle situations where you do not believe the police officer or deputy has given you enough in the probable cause statement to file a credible charge against an alleged offender.

I believe that I have a good relationship with the local law enforcement agencies.  I have worked very closely with St. Robert PD and have worked with the Waynesville PD as well.  I have also gotten to know many in the Sheriff's Department and I am very proud that Sheriff King has expressed his support so strongly.  I have not worked with the police departments in Crocker, Richland, and Dixon as much because I have been in St. Robert.  However, I think I am a pro police prosecutor.  What I mean by that is I am here for them.  If they need to call me in the middle of the night to ask me a questions, that is fine with me.  I would rather them get it right, instead of trying to fix the screw up later.  I also am here to try and make their lives easier.  I will do everything in my power to try and take their viewpoint into account.  There are times when the prosecutor and police will disagree.  But, if I tell them why and explain it, then we both come out ahead.  I plan on filing all charges that warrant being filed.  If it does not meet the standard that I set, which is that I am convinced that the case is solved, then I'll ask for more investigation and explain why.  The prosecutor is charged with not just winning every case, but seeking justice. 

I hope that answers your questions!

Kevin

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2010, 04:17:29 AM »
After reading the questions you've poised to Kevin Hillman, I am really hoping that you'll be able to post questions to the Candidates right here on PCW!  I can tell you I will be looking forward to such a thread!!

Oh, I think you'll be looking forward much more to questions other people ask. I can interview candidates whenever I want. It's what reporters do. The benefit of the Pulaski County Web is that it allows the average Joe and average Jane to question people in public about why they think they should be elected.

OMG DTM!  I do not remember you EVER being so "political" to the point of voicing such strong opposition.  I darn near fell off my chair. 

It takes a lot for me to take a stance such as what I did, and am doing, with the current prosecutor.

Read between the lines of something Sheriff King said but didn't say and perhaps cannot say -- the county prosecutor, who is supposed to be the county's attorney, wasn't doing her job of providing him legal counsel in lawsuits, but instead the St. Robert city attorney had to donate lots of his time for free to help the sheriff in cases where she was not doing her job. Now multiply that problem with numerous other examples of problems in the prosecutor's office that I see regularly in my work, and add in the frustrations of virtually every senior-level law enforcement official in this county, and you'll see why I wrote what I did.

It takes a great deal for me to take a strong public stance on an elected official who I need to cover. That involves serious risks to my ability to do my job, and it also is usually unwise for many other reasons. But in this case, because the work the prosecutor does largely involves things that are not common knowledge to the general public, I believe the public good demands that I speak up about what I have seen and what police tell me that they have seen.

You didn't see me talking this way about Tony Crismon, or Dennis Thornsberrry, or JT Roberts, or any of the other people who have been targets on this board. And you won't see me talking this way about Jeff Thomas or Wayne Gifford or Kevin Hillman -- a reasonable person with full awareness of the facts could reasonably conclude that any of those three people would make a good prosecutor, though some may be better than others.

Deborah Hooper is an entirely different category.

The primary purpose of the prosecuting attorney is to protect the public by putting criminals behind bars to take dangerous people out of society, or making them pay fines high enough to punish them for bad conduct and deter them from similar future conduct. When the prosecutor loses the confidence of the police, the prosecutor can no longer be effective.

As I said before, if Ms. Hooper can find any police officer in Pulaski County who is willing to endorse her and go on the record in an interview with me explaining why the officer believes Ms. Hooper is doing a good job, I would love to interview that officer.

Most of our local police will keep quiet in public and not openly attack the prosecutor, and that's probably the right thing to do. But that very silence speaks volumes -- generally police are very supportive of the prosecutor because they believe the prosecutor is doing everything possible to help the police put bad guys behind bars.

I think I will be waiting a long time for that interview.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2010, 04:19:08 AM »
Oh, I think you'll be looking forward much more to questions other people ask. I can interview candidates whenever I want. It's what reporters do. The benefit of the Pulaski County Web is that it allows the average Joe and average Jane to question people in public about why they think they should be elected.

It takes a lot for me to take a stance such as what I did, and am doing, with the current prosecutor.

Read between the lines of something Sheriff King said but didn't say and perhaps cannot say -- the county prosecutor, who is supposed to be the county's attorney, wasn't doing her job of providing him legal counsel in lawsuits, but instead the St. Robert city attorney had to donate lots of his time for free to help the sheriff in cases where she was not doing her job. Now multiply that problem with numerous other examples of problems in the prosecutor's office that I see regularly in my work, and add in the frustrations of virtually every senior-level law enforcement official in this county, and you'll see why I wrote what I did.

It takes a great deal for me to take a strong public stance on an elected official who I need to cover. That involves serious risks to my ability to do my job, and it also is usually unwise for many other reasons. But in this case, because the work the prosecutor does largely involves things that are not common knowledge to the general public, I believe the public good demands that I speak up about what I have seen and what police tell me that they have seen.

You didn't see me talking this way about Tony Crismon, or Dennis Thornsberrry, or JT Roberts, or any of the other people who have been targets on this board. And you won't see me talking this way about Jeff Thomas or Wayne Gifford or Kevin Hillman -- a reasonable person with full awareness of the facts could reasonably conclude that any of those three people would make a good prosecutor, though some may be better than others.

Deborah Hooper is an entirely different category.

The primary purpose of the prosecuting attorney is to protect the public by putting criminals behind bars to take dangerous people out of society, or making them pay fines high enough to punish them for bad conduct and deter them from similar future conduct. When the prosecutor loses the confidence of the police, the prosecutor can no longer be effective.

As I said before, if Ms. Hooper can find any police officer in Pulaski County who is willing to endorse her and go on the record in an interview with me explaining why the officer believes Ms. Hooper is doing a good job, I would love to interview that officer.

Most of our local police will keep quiet in public and not openly attack the prosecutor, and that's probably the right thing to do. But that very silence speaks volumes -- generally police are very supportive of the prosecutor because they believe the prosecutor is doing everything possible to help the police put bad guys behind bars.

I think I will be waiting a long time for that interview.

Wow..... very good post Darrell, very impressive!!!  I know LE likes Mr. Hillman. :-)
Women are Angels

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2010, 05:39:05 AM »

Thanks,
Kevin Hillman

Glad you are in Kevin!  I heard rumors back in the summer that you were going to run and then had about lost hope. lol. 

If I am still a resident of the County on election day you have my vote. 

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2010, 05:39:37 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=109136372440040&ref=nf

Add Kevin Hillman to your facebook.

Thanks for suggesting him Rick.  Made that easy for me to add. lol

Offline HCC

• Wise men argue cases, fools decide them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
Kevin has my support as well as that of my family and friends. You have to look no further for a person who is more qualified, caring about the public safety, and loyal to the law enforcement personnel. It has been a disaster the last three years and Kevin will have a mess to clean up.

Make no mistake, if you are on the wrong side of what is right you will pay a heavy price with Kevin Hillman as our Prosecutor. He is above repproach and will make this County safe.

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
When I first started working as a Gate Guard at Ft Wood, I came into contact with an individual trying to drive through the South Gate, rather intoxicated! Mr Hillmann was Trial Counsel (Prosecutor) at the time. The subject was found that this was his 5th DWI between 2 states. Mr Hillmann & I ended up in US District Court in Springfield, where the subject was indicted by the Grand Jury, based on evidence presented by Mr Hillman and some testimony from me. This Subject should still be in jail for "Felony DWI"

This is my personal experience with Kevin as a Prosecutor! Just facts! Who are you going to support, now?

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2010, 04:37:27 PM »
Not sure I understand.   The judge  and/or jury didn't do their job because??

Offline JuneBug67

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
He has my vote!  This past summer I was having a lot of problems with some certian boys, I am sure many of you my remember, he was the reason it was put to a stop.  REALLY FAST!!!
There is NEVER a right way to do the wrong thing!

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
Not sure I understand.   The judge  and/or jury didn't do their job because??

No, actually I think everyone did their jobs in that case.  As this case happened on Fort Leonard Wood, it went to the Federal Grand Jury for an idictment for felony DWI.  The Grand Jury indicted this individual based on Auctioneer Ed's testimony.  This individual was on probabtion from the State of Missouri for other cases, which was revoked and he was sent to Missouri state prison for 10 years if I remember.  He then entered a plea of guilty in Federal Court to felony DWI and received a Federal prision sentence that was consecutive to the Missouri sentence.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2010, 03:36:02 AM »
I know I can say I am disappointed in her because I went back over to talk to them about the check that was wrote to me, the lady in the office went to the back and said yes they went to court on my check and was pressing charges so I said then someone made a 300.00 mistake because on casenet it stated he went to court on a 500.00 or less passing bad checks and the lady said so what is the problem so I laughed and said I could see if the check he wrote me was for 500.00 but it wasn't she looked at me so strange and said what do you mean so I said the check he wrote to me was for 800.00 not 500.00 that is when I got told a new lady was taking over the cases and they would all have to get together and find out what is going on and they would call me and still to this day still no phone call. All I know it is really starting to tick me off because if it were me to have written a bad check I would probably have a good fine to pay and time to be served. They need to learn to talk to one another in that office and learn to give out the right information and stop beating around the bush and when they say they will call you then they should do it! 
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »
I plan on voting for Kevin Hillman but he is going to have to get his name out there more if he expects to win.  I see a kazillion signs out there for Thomas and Hooper.  I see very few signs for Hillman.  And some people vote according to name recognition.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 03, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
I am sure Mr. Hillman is working on it but in his defense he has a full-time job and can't just go out and put up signs all day.  Mrs. Hooper has a husband that's retired that can do it and Jeff Thomas, well .... I'm not sure if he's worked anywhere but his dad's law firm since he passed the bar in October so I'm sure he's got plenty of time as well.
Women are Angels

Offline Waynesvillian

• ^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 03, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »
I dont see why anyone would vote for thomas-a kid 1 year maybe out of law school.

Offline HCC

• Wise men argue cases, fools decide them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 03, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
The problem over the years is that some people think they have a status of "privileged ownership" over certain elected offices within County (and to a lesser degree City) government, or we the people have elected some outright disasters to office. Bottom line is election time is a time for reflection, review, and accountability. Not renewal of incompetence or a proving ground for the unproven and inexperienced.

Tough questions need to start being posed to those running for office during public venues and by the media instead of the watered down and sugar-coated type of questions that are recycled year after year. Moderators and the local media need to stop with the patty-cake approach, and put the candidates to the test publically with as much vigor locally as is done on the national scene. Counting on your church group or father to get you into office is not a campaign, its a crutch that will not hold the weight inthe public forum.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 03, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
Kevin has signs out.  He also has past prosecutorial experience while in the Army.  He worked for a law firm locally and then became the St. robert City Attorney adn was recently appointed Municipal Judge at Waynesville.
this has been over a period of years and he was my next door neighbor so I learned much from talking to him. I intend to vote for  him in this election.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 03, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
Hooper is gone in August.