Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?  (Read 148006 times)

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
Re: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Thanks for the input now what about what happened yesterday.  Most of the people that work for her where there when she came and are much smarter than she is.  They could do 1500 + cases a year and now with her its less than 1000 because she keeps loosing stuff.   Like the 88 tickets in her desk or the money the county had to pay back because she didn't file.   We're not talking about sin but pure lack of ability to handle the task at hand.   

Offline jsb66763

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2008, 01:57:11 AM »
     I agree with you Cowboy.  As an insider, I have seen too many times when things happen and the blame game is played.  Do not misunderstand me! Mrs. Hooper genuinely cares about the community and has a difficult job.  I know many attorneys that would not take the cut in pay to do the job.
     It is my belief the main problem with the prosecuting attorney's office is organization.  As for her staff, follow the military principle.  People are only as good as the person leading them.  If the elected official is disorganized then the staff has to try twice as hard just to keep up. 

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »
I still don't understand why the voter's didn't elect the Democrat that ran against her?  I attended several events during the election and each time I was really impressed with the guy and voted for him as well, because I didn't believe she had what it took to do the job.  But I'm sure he isn't going to try and run for the position again when her term is up.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2008, 05:44:10 PM »
Because she got the military and church vote, and they didn't care about qualifications- obviously.

Offline bigedd

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
No she got the Republican vote, which is the majority in this county.  Very few of the military assigned to FLW are registered to vote in Missouri.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2008, 06:00:22 PM »
I guess your talking the retired military vote cowboy.  I can see that, but I just wish people would go and listen to these people running for office.  I was was also against Ransdall because he came right out and said from the beginning that he didn't believe the Sheriffs Department needed the LE sales tax.  I knew that if he was elected that it would take years, if ever to convince the guy to let the voters decide the issue.  I guess my gut feeling was spot on!  The guy that ran against Hooper had a ton of experience and really appeared to know what the heck he was talking about, compared to what I saw from her during the election.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
No she got the Republican vote, which is the majority in this county.  Very few of the military assigned to FLW are registered to vote in Missouri.

LOL....don't blame this Republican!  I voted for the Democrat!  I am a firm believer in voting for the best person that I think can do the job.....political parties be damned!

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
She got a lot of votes from the Big Piney area because she came out to our area and went door to door. 

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »
So people don't care about qualifications? - just who they met last.

Offline jafitzs

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2008, 01:40:57 AM »
 Gifford had been also in August of last year...just a temporary thing though.
Gifford would be better, maybe she should stay gone for a few months.  I hope folks who read this threat remember that when paperwork doesn't get done in a PA's office, warrants get issued that sometimes shouldn't get issued usually for traffic tickets and the like.  Now you can give her the benefit of the doubt or anything else, but when your hauled in on a warrant that should not of been issued in the first place, you'll have a better understanding of how important that paperwork is.  And YOU are the one that has to prove it was a mistake because PA Hooper NEVER makes a mistake as you can tell from the DG.  And when you hear about her complaining because the LE folks aren't doing their reports correctly, etc, remember it's her who should be training them to the standards she needs in an effort to build a case.  Didn't mean to rant, but here is an example of someone getting elected based on political party, not competence.

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2008, 03:10:34 AM »
Did any of the other candidates for any office come out to Big Piney?  It may not just be who you met last - but who cared enough to actually come out to your community and share their thoughts and beliefs and plans.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2008, 12:04:53 PM »
Very few people ever make it out here.  Attorney Lowe did when he was running for Probate Judge.

Offline bigedd

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
The current PA is completly qualified for the job, it's just the execution that is killing her.  I've been to her office several times, and she has a problem locating things.  I'm not sure what the solution is, but it looks like a good "girl Friday" would sure be a step in the right direction.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »
I've worked with people like that before.  They don't have a system and that creates problems across the board.  These type of jobs require a firm grasp on time management and developing a system for control of the large amounts of documents generated.  Without a good workable system in place you may work long hours, but they aren't as productive as they could be.  Sometimes, you just have to stop, make an assessment of the situation, develop a plan, and then work to execute said plan.  With that accomplished, if you us the system you've developed, your workload becomes easier to manage.  One good thing about having a system in place and then using it, is you don't misplace documents or evidence in this case as easily.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
Part of being qualified is administration.  She can not do either she just can not handle the job and needs to be gone so we the tax payer can receive the quality of job we are paying for .   After all thats gone wrong and she was threatening the commissioners that she would get the raise she was not entitled too until the next election.   Surely she will be smart enough not to run again - hopefully she'll be gone way before that.

Offline bigedd

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
Is she up for re-election this year?  There are not many viable ways to remove a sitting prosecutor.

Offline Jax

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »
AMAZING, could she f!@k up more?? Please, go to the daily guide and read the comments. Maybe, comment if you feel the urge. It was interesting that , on the front page, was this story and right next to it another FIRE story about Midway burning.
Jax <- shaking her head!
I voted for the other guy because he was way more professional, spoke well, and appeared intelligent. He looked like the kind of person that would roll up his sleeves and get down to basics. I listened to them both at one of the "Meet the Candidates" events. I hope next time people will listen and get a grip instead of just going to the polls and voting blindly.

The Daily Guide reported this...
After learning during a Monday jury trial that her office had lost photos taken by the state fire marshal’s office of the damage she claimed had been caused by arson, Prosecuting Attorney Deborah Hooper joined Public Defender Jahnel Lewis in calling for a mistrial.
Circuit Judge Mary Sheffield also granted Lewis’ motion to reduce the bail for the defendant, Kaylee Beal, from $50,000 cash-only to $10,000, and allowed a bail bondsman to post professional surety. It wasn’t immediately clear what effect that would have for Beal, who has been in jail since last June on multiple arson charges, each of which carry a $50,000 cash-only bond.
While Hooper agreed to the mistrial, she objected to the bail reduction on public safety grounds.
“Our position on this, as it has always been is that Miss Beal is charged with a significant number of arsons,” Hooper said.
That reasoning didn’t persuade Sheffield, who earlier that day had already seen Crocker Assistant Fire Chief Mark Fancher disqualified as a witness because Hooper didn’t provide sufficient prior notice for the public defender to interview him. Hooper also decided Monday morning that she wouldn’t be prosecuting a separate arson case against Beal involving property owned by Freeland Moss between Richland and Crocker due to lack of evidence.
Several other arson cases involving Beal are also pending, including a historic barn off Highway 28 just north of Veterans Memorial Bridge and the Hilltop Christian Union Church near Crocker.
Most but not all of the Beal cases have been moved to Rolla due to extensive pretrial publicity in the Waynesville Daily Guide and the Dixon Pilot.
The case being tried Monday involved a fire on March 3, 2007, in a house and barn on Highway 133 northeast of Crocker owned by Sgt. 1st Class Matthew Heltz, a soldier stationed at Fort Leonard Wood who had been refurbishing the home and planned to move into it after finishing extensive repair work.
Hooper called only four witnesses. Heltz detailed the work he had done in the house and his efforts to take an older home built in the 1930s and restore it as a retirement house where he would live after he left the Army. Beal’s former boyfriend, Joshua Harris, testified that he was in a car with Beal on the night of the fire, saw flames begin to come out of the buildings on Highway 133 northeast of Crocker on the night of the fire after she said she needed to get out of the car to urinate after a night of drinking and driving, but didn’t immediately report the fire because Beal pulled a knife on him and threatened to kill Harris and his family. Crocker Police Chief Robert Ishmael, who also serves as a captain in the Crocker Rural Fire Protection District, described the extent of the damage he saw.
“We were called out for a brush fire that had turned into a structure fire,” Ishmael said. “The house was fully involved down to the foundation, and it had gone into the grass and two to three acres of grass were on fire.”
Mark Fancher’s testimony was disallowed after Lewis said she hadn’t had adequate time to interview him. Hooper said she didn’t have much choice on the delay.
“I didn’t even know Mr. Fancher existed until two days ago,” Hooper said.
However, the mistrial focused on the testimony of Roger Windell, the regional chief fire investigator for the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s office.
Responding to questions from Hooper, Windell said there was little question that the fire wasn’t accidental due to weather conditions and the fact that two separate fires were found in the house and a barn.
“We had two separate fires, both with no utilities to them,” Windell said. “It establishes pretty well that this was not an accidental fire. There was no electricity to the house, no gas, nothing that would usually cause a fire by accident.”
Windell said he found a lawn tractor inside the barn had papers shoved up into the hood of the tractor and set on fire, and even several acres of grass had been burned, there was no connection between the house fire and the barn fire.
“It was a set fire; somebody set that lawn tractor on fire,” Windell said.
“Is that unusual to have two separate fires on a property?” Hooper asked.
“It is unusual to have two separate accidental fires on the same piece of property,” Windell replied.
Lewis began her cross-examination by questioning the evidence, and received an answer that neither she nor Hooper had expected.
“Did you take any photographs?” Lewis asked.
“Yes, I did,” Windell replied.
Lewis reacted with obvious surprise.
“You did?” Lewis asked. “How many photographs did you take?”
Windell didn’t expect that question from Lewis.
“You should have copies of them,” Windell said. “They were turned over to the prosecutor’s office.”
Windell said he had copies of the photographs on a camera card in his car and would provide them upon request.
The judge called for a recess in the trial to let the two attorneys decide what to do next.
“I’ll let you talk to this witness, but I don’t know what else will pop up in this case,” Sheffield said.
After the recess, Hooper said she didn’t contest Windell’s testimony.
“I don’t doubt that he gave me the photos,” Hooper said, and agreed to a request by Lewis to declare a mistrial because the defense attorney hadn’t had adequate time to review the arson investigation photos.
Sheffield agreed to the joint request by the defense and prosecution.
“I’m going to grant a mistrial at this time; I don’t know what else to do,” Sheffield said.
It’s not clear what will happen next. Hooper has the right to refile the charges after disclosing all evidence to the public defender’s office, as she’s required by law to do prior to the trial.
Speaking after the mistrial was declared, Hooper said she had no idea the photos existed before hearing Windell’s testimony in court on Monday.
“Jahnel (Lewis) and I were both in (the judge’s) chambers saying the problem with this case is I didn’t have any photos; obviously, if I had photos I would have used them,” Hooper said. “I don’t doubt the fire investigator gave me the photos; he said he have me them during (another arson case) preliminary hearing, but I don’t know what happened.”
Hooper said she regretted the mistrial and the mistake with the photos.
“It happens sometimes,” Hooper said.Related StoriesLoading additional related stories...

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2008, 02:25:59 AM »
Whenever incompetence is present, justice will never be served.....
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »
Is she up for re-election this year?  There are not many viable ways to remove a sitting prosecutor.

Believe she was elected back in 2006, so she wouldn't be up for re-election until 2010.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2008, 12:17:29 AM »
Lets hope in 2010 we'll have another qualified candidate to run against her.  She actually carried every precinct in 06 over someone who is a much better prosecutor.  Just like Shackleford, who works part time hours but collects full time pay.  Not only should her pay raise been cancelled, her pay should be cut to match the hours she works at the courthouse.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »
Look at how much the judges get paid and how many hours/days they work.  That's what all elected officials can do and most do.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
Lets all see how she peforms on this new list of drug dealers she has the oportunity to put away.. I know I am watching closely..

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »
At the speed at which she works she won't have it all done during the remainder of her term.  I'll bet she will say she lacks evidence

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »
I heard from a reliable source, this morning, that she does have her ducks in a row so far.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »
If she has her ducks in a row it will be a first.  Maybe she had a Federal prosecutor help her out.  As for the judges and the hours they work, I think you'd be surprised and the work they put in BEFORE their day starts on the bench.  Comparing judges to Shackleford is like comparing apples to bananas.  The judges actually work their 40 hours and then some.  Shackleford don't get called out in the middle of the night, at least not for the treasurer's position.  I'm usually more positive than this but someone taking money they haven't earned from local taxpayers shouldn't happen and the people shouldn't fall for it. 

Offline exclusive

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
I have read alot on both sides of the fence and I just cant believe what some people will say. You can ask any LE officer or deputy, they are not happy. But all too often they have to be professionals and be careful who they make comments to. The fact of the matter is that she is not doing her job correctly no matter how hard she is trying. There is something wrong when she is in at 6am and leaves at 8pm and gets almost nothing done. Then all she wants to do is blame everyone else. She even dogs on her own staff. If you are a victim and want to make sure the violator is punished then talk to Scott. He will get you answers and does more work than Mrs. Hooper. And he knows what he is doing. He is the Assistant Prosecutor. To give credit, she is trying but she just isnt good at it. She thinks all cases have to be like they are on tv, PERFECT. I dont mean to slam on her but thins is just not the job for her.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »
I have read alot on both sides of the fence and I just cant believe what some people will say. You can ask any LE officer or deputy, they are not happy. But all too often they have to be professionals and be careful who they make comments to. The fact of the matter is that she is not doing her job correctly no matter how hard she is trying. There is something wrong when she is in at 6am and leaves at 8pm and gets almost nothing done. Then all she wants to do is blame everyone else. She even dogs on her own staff. If you are a victim and want to make sure the violator is punished then talk to Scott. He will get you answers and does more work than Mrs. Hooper. And he knows what he is doing. He is the Assistant Prosecutor. To give credit, she is trying but she just isnt good at it. She thinks all cases have to be like they are on tv, PERFECT. I dont mean to slam on her but thins is just not the job for her.

Your absolutely right, but then a lot of people knew she was incompetent in 2006 when she ran.  This was easily predicted but this is what happens when people vote for the party and not for the most qualified candidate.  Like I said earlier in this thread, if she wants reports that meet her standards then it's up to her to go to the LE folks and TRAIN them to her standards.  To the best of my knowledge she hasn't done that and most likely don't intend to.  Then she wouldn't have anyone to blame.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
Why can't we get rid of her and give Scott the job untillthe next election. 

Cowboy here is a clear case of why a recall election should be held.  But I'll be a dime to a donut the local republicans won't support it even though she's proven to be incompetent.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
No..I bet not one judge has EVER worked a 40 hour week unless there was once some fluke of a long trial...which around here usually a 2 week murder trial gets resolved in 3 days.  If they don't have court, they are home.  And that could be days at a time.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
No..I bet not one judge has EVER worked a 40 hour week unless there was once some fluke of a long trial...which around here usually a 2 week murder trial gets resolved in 3 days.  If they don't have court, they are home.  And that could be days at a time.

Coyote I know for a fact each of our judges have been called out in the middle of the night to issue warrants etc, especially to protect kids etc.  When the drug pusher busts were carried out starting at 6 in the morning, the warrants had to be signed before that.  Many times, to keep it totally a secret the warrants are signed not too long before the raid starts. I disagree with you on this one, you may want to research the facts some more.