Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?  (Read 148104 times)

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Re: How's the Prosecuting Attorney Doing?
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »

Share/Bookmark

....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
I surely hope that Democratic candidate runs again when the time comes to vote her out of office.  But with our luck the guy has already found and got a full time prosecutors position somewhere else and we will never see this guy agian.  Pulaski County loses out again!

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
I have been in the courtroom on numerous occasions.  Trust me, there were somedays when the Judge didn't even take a lunch break.  And with the backlog of cases it took months to even get a court date.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »
That would most likely be on Law Day.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2008, 11:20:36 PM »
If you do scheduled hearings and trials on case net for upcoming days, and search each of our judges, you can see for yourself. I know that Judge Long has a very busy courtroom most of the time. BTW, heard the PA fired her assistant. Anyone else hear that?
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2008, 11:35:28 PM »
True.  Scott is gone. 
She has been wanting a 10k raise.  Maybe she can get that now!  Afterall she works SOO hard! No one else is capable of doing anything.  Maybe she should fire her staff too!
We thought nothing got done before, wait till you see what happens now!.  I would hate to be a defendant in this county.  You'll sit in jail forever!

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2008, 11:44:30 PM »
Well it will give her another place to put the blame as to why she can not get job done- -  it will now be Scott's fault

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2008, 12:52:54 AM »
True.  Scott is gone. 
She has been wanting a 10k raise.  Maybe she can get that now!  Afterall she works SOO hard! No one else is capable of doing anything.  Maybe she should fire her staff too!
We thought nothing got done before, wait till you see what happens now!.  I would hate to be a defendant in this county.  You'll sit in jail forever!

Of course Scott is gone, he's more competent than she is.  As for blaming Scott, now that he's gone it will be hard for her to blame him, and whoever she hires to take his place will be her hire...it won't take much to be more competent than her (I think most of us in this thread is more competent than she is and we're not even lawyers)

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
I heard Scott screwed up big time this weekend and a drug dealer is back on the streets because of it. Just a rumor though....
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »
sorry to hear it if that is the case.  Can we fire the PA for letting all those others out on the street through sheer incompetence and apathy?

Offline calvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
I've only heard second-hand talk so I cannot pretend to know how Ms. Hooper runs her office.  I have heard she is extremely intelligent--perhaps even a genious.  But I've also heard it say that she has organization problems.  I've also heard that she often spends the entire night at the office--so it sounds like she works hard, but maybe she has problems focusing on the important issues and is simply overwhelmed due to organization and focus issues.  This is mere speculation and I do not mean to disparage her.  As for the next election, Attorney Ronda Cortesini would make an excellent prosecutor in my opinion.  I've heard she is tough, yet diplomatic, no-nonsense and highly organized.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »
I think Ms. Kimberly Lowe would do it best, if it has to be a woman.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2008, 10:44:43 PM »
I've only heard second-hand talk so I cannot pretend to know how Ms. Hooper runs her office.  I have heard she is extremely intelligent--perhaps even a genious.  But I've also heard it say that she has organization problems.  I've also heard that she often spends the entire night at the office--so it sounds like she works hard, but maybe she has problems focusing on the important issues and is simply overwhelmed due to organization and focus issues.  This is mere speculation and I do not mean to disparage her.  As for the next election, Attorney Ronda Cortesini would make an excellent prosecutor in my opinion.  I've heard she is tough, yet diplomatic, no-nonsense and highly organized.
I don't think she's anywhere close to a genius.  From what I've heard winning the election as prosecutor basically saved her law practice, she wasn't very good.  And she's not getting any better.  There have been several that were allowed to walk because of her mistakes but the assistant gets fired for letting one walk......sounds like a double standard but that's not unusual for her.  I'd sure support a recall in this case, but no way will be the republicans in this county allow it...a democrat that can do the job might get elected.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »
I'm not sure the assistant let anybody go it may be another reason.  It sure would make a good story for the daily guide to investigate and report. 

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2008, 11:01:08 PM »
I'm not sure the assistant let anybody go it may be another reason.  It sure would make a good story for the daily guide to investigate and report. 
I agree cowboy but the don't investigate people like her.  This prosecutor gets preferential treatment.

Offline calvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2008, 12:02:25 AM »
I think Ms. Kimberly Lowe would do it best, if it has to be a woman.

I've heard Ms. Lowe is an excellent attorney.  But Ronda Cortisini has a certain gravitas and can appear intimidating at times.  She might put some proper fear into defendants that deserve it.  Yet, I believe Ms. Cortisini is fair and would recommend sentences that fit the crime and accept pleas with lighter sentences if the circumstances warrent it.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »
Well the Daily Guide carried a story about the firing of the assistant PA but we still don't know anymore.  It just says they put a letter in his file and he now works for mark Pugh (SP?).  Since she probably won't find someone else to work for her maybe they can use the savings in salary to offset some of the increased cost of fuel this year.

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »
Prosecutor fires assistant
Advertisement
By Darrell Todd Maurina
Waynesville Daily Guide
New! Fri May 30, 2008, 02:55 PM CDT
Story Tools: Email This Email This |  Print This Print This
- -

Pulaski County no longer has an assistant prosecutor, following a decision Tuesday morning by Prosecuting Attorney Deborah Hooper to terminate Assistant Prosecutor Scott Stafford.
Stafford, who had been hired in 2003 by the former county prosecutor before Hooper was elected in 2006, is now working as an assistant in the law office of Mark Prugh.
Hooper didn’t return a call to her office for comment and it’s not known whether she will try to hire another assistant prosecutor. However, she told County Clerk Diana Linnenbringer that she didn’t have an objection to a Daily Guide request for a copy of her termination letter to Stafford.
That letter indicates that Stafford showed up for work on Tuesday and Hooper requested that he be paid for his work that day. However, the letter gave no reasons for the termination, noting that Stafford’s position is based on an “at-will employment contract” and that “the rules for payment of terminated employees rests with the County Clerk and Commissioners.”
On Thursday, commissioners said they didn’t know anything about Hooper’s decision before it was made. As a separately elected department head, Hooper makes her own hiring and firing decisions and they’re not under the control of the county commission.
However, since the county clerk handles personnel files, Linnenbringer received a notice of the termination from Hooper, with the request to place the notice in Stafford’s “employment disciplinary files” and to “ensure that a check is cut for him for his pay through (Tuesday) as well as any and all accrued leave, if applicable.”
Hooper directed Stafford “to immediately return any and all cases (in his) possession” and was told that “those in your office have already been removed.” Stafford was also directed “to immediately turn over the key to the office and your key fob.”
That abrupt termination brings an end, at least for now, to Stafford’s 13-year career in public service law. He first served as an assistant public defender in Laclede County from 1995 to 2000, then as an assistant prosecutor in Phelps County from September 2000 to May 2003, and has worked in Pulaski County as an assistant prosecutor for the last five years.
Stafford had worked alongside Laura Kriebs when both were assistant prosecutors in the Phelps County Prosecutor’s Office and he came to Pulaski County a few months after Kriebs was elected as Pulaski County’s first full-time prosecutor in November 2002.
Kriebs and Hooper were both candidates in 2002; Kriebs won as a Democrat that year in an election that saw numerous Democrats thrown out of county office, narrowly defeating Hooper who ran a write-in campaign as an independent and was nearly successful even though her name didn’t appear on the ballot.
Kriebs didn’t run for re-election in 2006; Hooper, who filed that year as a Republican, defeated Democratic nominee John Garrabrand.
Stafford has also run for public office; he was the unsuccessful Democratic nominee for Laclede County prosecutor in the 2006 election.
Stafford acknowledged that he was angry when Hooper terminated him on Tuesday but said he didn’t want to publicly criticize Hooper’s decision.
“I really don’t think I want to say anything about it other than I really enjoyed my time working as an assistant prosecutor,” Stafford said. “I think I did a very good job and I’m proud of what I did there.”
Stafford said he’d been considering a job with Mark Prugh, who he’s known for about a half-decade, even before Hooper terminated him.
“From dealing with Mark Prugh personally from the other side, I liked him and I feel it is a good law office,” Hooper said. “There weren’t a lot of opportunities coming up, but that one was.”
Prugh primarily works as a criminal defense lawyer but also practices in other areas, and Stafford said working in a private law firm for the first time since graduating from the University of Missouri Law School in 1995 will help him build his legal skills.
“I want to try to use my law degree to try to help people, and from what I’ve seen here, I’ll also be able to get more experience in areas other than criminal law,” Stafford said.
While Stafford said he wouldn’t rule out another run for prosecutor, he said it won’t be against Hooper.
“In Laclede County, I would have to leave that door open,” Stafford said. “I’ve got a house that I own in Lebanon and I don’t plan to give that up.”
Stafford said he’s lived in Laclede County since 1995, except for the three years he worked in Phelps County.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »
If you really want to get an eyeful and be able to form a TRUE opinion, go to the courthouse any day she has court and watch her.  Unprepared is an understatement.  She dismisses cases because she can't get ready for court. Based on what I know, the system only works because of plea bargains.  Scott would plea bargain things away, but she will not do that as often or as quickly.  I know it is her office and she runs it the way she wants to but I believe the community would be served better by getting cases moved through.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »
There is a comment on the DG blog that says she hired someone out of Phelps County

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2008, 12:03:40 AM »
Well here we go.  Pretty soon she won't have anyone to blame but herself.

Offline jsb66763

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2008, 02:28:42 PM »
Someone posted the Republican committee would not support a recall election.  I wonder how they would feel that she was secretly supporting a democratic candidate that used to be sheriff and giving him info to use against the current candidate, who happens to be a republican.  OOPS.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
Why do we need the Republican committee to support a recall election?

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
Someone posted the Republican committee would not support a recall election.  I wonder how they would feel that she was secretly supporting a democratic candidate that used to be sheriff and giving him info to use against the current candidate, who happens to be a republican.  OOPS.

I think JB has his 6 covered.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
What is it thats big enough to cover his 6 :-)

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2008, 11:33:59 PM »
Considering her incompetence, I'm not sure I would trust any information she provided. 

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:24 AM »
I heard that our wonderful prosector had to dismiss charges today against the guy that did the home invasion last summer.  The one where the homeowner caught the guy and held him for the sheriff's deputies.  Is what I heard true?  I don't want to spread rumors so that's why I am asking If it is true? If its true, why were charges dropped?

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »
I heard that our wonderful prosector had to dismiss charges today against the guy that did the home invasion last summer.  The one where the homeowner caught the guy and held him for the sheriff's deputies.  Is what I heard true?  I don't want to spread rumors so that's why I am asking If it is true? If its true, why were charges dropped?

I wish the paper could cover the courts on a more regular basis where we could get better information.  It would not be a surprise that she dismissed the charges in that case.  A constant drive for perfection in that office means very few get prosecuted successfully.  I don't think she's advising a democrat candidate for sheriff either.  That sounds like something JB's groupies would spread (No offense JB).  Besides, if I were the candidate I wouldn't believe a word she says.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2008, 12:59:30 AM »
I wish the paper could cover the courts on a more regular basis where we could get better information.  It would not be a surprise that she dismissed the charges in that case.  A constant drive for perfection in that office means very few get prosecuted successfully.  I don't think she's advising a democrat candidate for sheriff either.  That sounds like something JB's groupies would spread (No offense JB).  Besides, if I were the candidate I wouldn't believe a word she says.

Here I thought only rock stars had groupies! Not bad for a fat old Sheriff !!!!               ( No offense taken- loved the laugh! )

JB

Offline murfyzlaw

• My beautiful grandsons
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2008, 12:22:22 PM »
I have now experienced the prosecuting attorney's office, and I am so angry.  the cases were thrown out because the prosecutor did not have the correct paperwork in court.  Someone very close to me was made several promises by the prosecutor, NONE were kept,  this is where our tax money is going, there were several witnesses there, including law enforcement, there was a jury selected, and all for nothing.  This person that was on trial, should be locked up, no doubt about it.  What is really scary, is that there are several more serious charges that will supposedly go to trial on this same person, and if the prosecutor's office messes these up it could effect some people very badly for many years to come. (a child)  But if they (the PA) can't handle a couple of exparte violations, how will they handle these other ones?  And will they ever really make it to trial?  I know of several people in this county that have had charges and they were never prosecuted,  statute of limitations had passed,  I so regret voting this woman into office. We had such high hopes yesterday and they were shot down by some small , but very big mistakes.   I have no faith in the Pulaski County justice system whatsover !!!!
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Remember that no matter how bad things are in your life, there are others dealing with much worse obstacles, and be thankful for what you have.