Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Fired from 911 for the New Year  (Read 14320 times)

Offline dmk911

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Fired from 911 for the New Year
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Okay so i been working at the 911 center for over 3 years. I took my vacation after Christmas from the 26 to Jan 6. On the 6th i get this message on my voice mail from the Director (Michelle),  telling me that there is no need for me to return to work on the 7th, that my services are no longer needed. So I call her up and ask her what the deal is, she tells me that she discussed it with the board and they decided to let a couple of people go due to poor morale and negativity in the work place. Not because of job performance. Now i will admit that I'm not the most cheerful person in the place, I don't come in everyday bouncing with joy. But i am no different than most of the other people working in that place. Me and one other guy were terminated for this reason. Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? What do you think of it? It has me pretty upset. I put 3 years of my life into that place, and to have your career flushed down the toilet because someone has a personal problem with you is pretty upsetting. I really did enjoy working there. It is hard to find people who will do that job. I have seen a lot of turn around since i have been there. Sometimes people don't last but a couple of days.

cricket

Re: Fired from 911 for the New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:41:16 AM »
There had to be another reason, did you fight & argue with the other workers? Have you ever been written up before? If so then yes I see where they are coming from. I work in one certain office, where 2 women do not get along. I wish they would just fire them both. All they get is letters of warning.I feel if you cannot get along with the people you work with you need to find another job. It puts tension in the work place and it is unfair to the people that do not have a problem with each other, and are trying to do their jobs. I was to the point I hated going to that office everyday, and I would only be there for an hour, but the women acted like 5 year olds and were very vindictive toward one another. Finally we got a new supervisor and they have settled down a little.

Offline dmk911

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:49:15 AM »
I have had a few write ups in the past for being late, problem with alarm clock not waking me up i was actually shutting it off in my sleep the button was too easy to find, i got a new alarm clock and haven't had that problem in a long time. the other guy has had absolutely no write ups as far as i know. I got along great with my crew, we loved working with one another, whenever one of us would have a day off or something we would always tease each other like we were mad at them for being gone and not being able to work with them.

Offline concerned

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »
Sometimes these things happen because of the "Good ol Boy" syndrome.  In this case, it sounds like the "Good ol Girl" syndrone.  Budget cuts are one thing, but to give one person the power to ruin another's career because of a personality conflict is just not right! I wonder who the director has to answer too! Wonder what her job performance as a supervisor would be for her morale or negativity.  I'm sure she didn't think about that?

cricket

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:03:20 AM »
You can always go over her head. Everyone has a boss. Is there not a 911 board. If there is I would got to the next meeting. If they fired you for being late , it looks like the would of done that when the problem was occuring. For the director to leave you a voice mail telling you they did not need you was crap, she should of done it face to face.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:22:09 AM »
The way a termination should be handled is this, in my humble opinion. First offense is an oral warning, second offense is a written warning, third offense if three days off, and the fourth offense is termination. That is the way I run my business. I do know I don't always explain every reason I have terminated someone, for the simple fact that I don't want to hurt their feelings.

WindblownLilac

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:05:21 AM »
Thats pretty bad that she didn't even have the tact to talk to you face to face.  I would at least try to talk to her supervisor about the way she handled the situation.  Good luck.

Offline dmk911

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 05:12:59 AM »
Thats pretty bad that she didn't even have the tact to talk to you face to face.  I would at least try to talk to her supervisor about the way she handled the situation.  Good luck.
She doesn't really have a supervisor just the 911 board that is elected. Most of them the only time they ever see her is when they come to the board meetings. They really only know what she tells them.

Offline noseyneighbor2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 05:45:13 AM »
Weren't they already short handed?  Is she going to fill in until someone else is hired?  I think you should go to the next board meeting and confront them, see what she has told them.  Ask your co-workers if they have a problem with you, get a couple of letters from them and perhaps a letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor at 911 and present your case. 
P.S. Make sure you ask to be put on the agenda unless they have it open to the public for questions.
Good Luck

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:52:45 AM »
Weren't they already short handed?  Is she going to fill in until someone else is hired?  I think you should go to the next board meeting and confront them, see what she has told them.  Ask your co-workers if they have a problem with you, get a couple of letters from them and perhaps a letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor at 911 and present your case. 
P.S. Make sure you ask to be put on the agenda unless they have it open to the public for questions.
Good Luck
I would attend a meeting with a lawyer and i'll bet you will get your job back and a raise.
Check with Birdsong he loves to put it to pulaski county.
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 06:07:17 AM »
Having worked with some pretty negative people and know how miserable they can make a place, I have to say that I'm not opposed to her firing you over a bad attitude.  JMO
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline dmk911

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 06:18:17 AM »
Having worked with some pretty negative people and know how miserable they can make a place, I have to say that I'm not opposed to her firing you over a bad attitude.  JMO
Well the people I worked with everyday didn't seem to have a problem with me. We still talk and text back and forth. Besides usually you don't keep employees around for over 3 years if they have a bad attitude.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »
She has a boss besides the board.  I would be talking to a lawyer too, based on what you have said.  If there are other underlying problems which are not mentioned, then perhaps she was right in one way, to have terminated you.  Not correct in the way she did it.  No guts.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:38:52 PM »
911 Board meets at 3pm this Thursday at the 911 Center. 

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Don't like how it was done and don't really think they can just fire you because they want too without some kind of paperwork (back-up) to support their decision.  The advice of talking with a lawyer was one I would pursue and then I would follow that lawyers advice.  I would also refrain from talking about this subject on this board until I talked with that lawyer either.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »
After realizing who this is, I think the whole thing is ridiculous.  911 lost a good employee.
Women are Angels

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »
Well the cost of gas has went up maybe they needed the budget cuts to fund the fuel bill. Sorry that was uncalled for but had to be said.
You would figure they would give you a good reason. I'd check into seeing who filled your jobs etc etc.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
After realizing who this is, I think the whole thing is ridiculous.  911 lost a good employee.

They lost 2 of their best.  One of them used to be one of my part time dispatchers.  The only reason he is not any longer is I had to cut my part time people last summer because they said I had too many.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
They lost 2 of their best.  One of them used to be one of my part time dispatchers.  The only reason he is not any longer is I had to cut my part time people last summer because they said I had too many.
I'll bet that they are replaced by women. %%$%$$#
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline yellowcat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »
I have read some of the inserts from alot of you that believe 911 employees are not good at what they do (mostly, they are).  I have also read where some of the other agencies disagree with how or why the director conducts business (she is not alone).  I also know that this is a one sided story and alot of the facts have not been disclosed (understandably so).  No matter what anyone believes these two individuals have had many opportunities to save themselves and their jobs (they failed in doing so).
Say what you want about the center and the people that work there or who they work for...  Most of whom are close, compassionate, respectful, intellegent, and devoted (not to mention loyal) to the community, the director, the job and to every single call, sometimes (as in ALL jobs) they have to let those who are not go.  This is a at will state... but I am sure the director and the board can back up what ever reasons they had to let these dispatchers go.
Who would you want in your time of need... someone responsible?  or someone who is negative, rude, lazy, and cant get up to go to work?

I think it is great the director is doing everything she can to protect the interest in our community!

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 08:02:11 PM »
I have read some of the inserts from alot of you that believe 911 employees are not good at what they do (mostly, they are).  I have also read where some of the other agencies disagree with how or why the director conducts business (she is not alone).  I also know that this is a one sided story and alot of the facts have not been disclosed (understandably so).  No matter what anyone believes these two individuals have had many opportunities to save themselves and their jobs (they failed in doing so).
Say what you want about the center and the people that work there or who they work for...  Most of whom are close, compassionate, respectful, intellegent, and devoted (not to mention loyal) to the community, the director, the job and to every single call, sometimes (as in ALL jobs) they have to let those who are not go.  This is a at will state... but I am sure the director and the board can back up what ever reasons they had to let these dispatchers go.
Who would you want in your time of need... someone responsible?  or someone who is negative, rude, lazy, and cant get up to go to work?

I think it is great the director is doing everything she can to protect the interest in our community!

This is interesting that it's your first post.....Michelle?

No I've never heard one positive comment about the director or how that office is run.  The turn over is so high she should have to answer to the board as to why she can't keep her employees happy.
Women are Angels

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »
I dont know anything about the 9-11 center or its operaters. having said that, I dont think its professional to fire someone through a message on an answering machine. that seems petty and chickenshit.
I also believe nobody gets fired for not bieng cheerful. Lateness as a habit though seems enough to be fired for as a dispatcher is a needed position and if your not in your position on time then you arent really doing the community justice as a paid professional. if the problem was prior and you had corrected it, then like most said here, take it to a lawyer, and be carefull as to what you say in public.
Biscuit

Offline yellowcat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »
Nope, not Michelle, but it is my first post... just thought you deserved a different view.  People always want to be negative, believing the worst and thinking only the bad of others.  Stop and think about it... why would she want to cut employees when she is already short handed?  (Unless she had no choice...)
If you have complaints... try DOING something about it rather than adding to a (false) smear campaign?  Unless you have walked in her shoes... or her employees... how would you know what she is doing to make 'things' better?  She DOES answer to the board... my question is how do you KNOW "THEY" havent 'asked' her to make the changes or the decisions that she has had to make?
Ignorance must be bliss.
This was posted by a bitter (ex) employee.  Nothing more.  It is what it is... sometimes employers have to cut weak links.
I dont always agree with the director, or the board... but they are only doing what they think is best for the center, the community and the other agencies.

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
Well I don't see really where that could be called bitter seemed to me that he was actually in acceptace of the fact. Plus if it's who i think it is he's a pretty honest guy from what I remember. Was nicer than what I would have been I can say that.
On another note have you ever tried to get anything done as far as changes with the county? No one wants to listen with the exception of a few newer elected officials. Then the ones that do listen have to face the good ol boy system. It's a no win situation. But such is small county politics.

Offline dmk911

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »
What do you all think of yellowcat's replys? Have any of my postings been negative or have I bad mouthed anyone?

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
Boy yellowcat your karma went down quick and you didn't say one bad thing! The director can not discuss personnel issues - they are confidential. I am sure both sides of the story will come out, but you won't hear it here first. Time will tell.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 09:39:53 PM »
I agree with Topgunbiz.  The "director" is chickenshit if she can't face a person when she terminates them.  Although this is an at will state, people can't just be terminated because.  There must be a valid reason as referred to before.  AS for me, had it been me, I would have ignored the message and gone to work.  Force her to face me.  Wonder how that would have gone down?  dmk911 is being nicer about it than I probably would be for sure.  Those on this board who know me understand this.

Offline cayteaka

• Today is a gift, tomorrow is a blessing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
People who are in fear of losing their jobs do not create waves or in this case speak out. Just because in this case an ex employee is speaking out what statement makes you think the person is bitter? I have not read any name calling on this persons part, no character bashing by this poster. This person also admitted some prior flaws that had been improved on. The only one taking a defensive and one sided stance is you yellowcat.

I can tell you dispatching is a very stressful job and not everyone that works there does get along. I can tell you from a responders standpoint  both of the individuals were excellent dispatchers and very good at getting emergency personell where they needed to go. As long as they were doing their job well and not repeat discipline problems or having serious offenses or complaints then an attitude can be worked with. It could be stressers of the job that lead to poor attitude, personal problems or combination of a lot of things. To have had no discussions with the employees about the percieved problems/complaints and without allowing a period of time to improve in my opinion is poor management. To fire someone via e-mial or a phone message is inexcusable.

At a place with such high turnover and a limited amount of eligible applicants to choose from I find it questionable to not attempt to work to improve the current employees. Dispatching takes a very special person who can multitask,learn quickly and keep a cool head during crises, dispatch and coordinate for multiple angencies as well as playing nice with not only coworkers but  all the employees of all the agencies they dispatch for. Add  in the additional responsibility of knowing that an error you make could harm or end a persons life. This is not a job for just anyone. To have well trained personel, who know the system and for the most part do their jobs well just let go for minor reasons or no real reason, as stated above, is very irresponsible and dangerouse for the community and all emrgency responders that they dispatch for. These are things that the director and their board should think very heavily about in the future.

By the way how are people expected to improve if they are not made aware that there is a problem? That's what a write up and evaluations are for. If this is not practiced by administraters then how can the employee be expected to improve?

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
This is interesting that it's your first post.....Michelle?

Nope BB.....current employee though.  Just search the email through the Yahoo directory to find out who it is. 

I am withholding comments and opinions because I promised the boss I would play nice. LOL

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 10:22:36 PM »
Most of us understand that there are two sides to every story.  I recommended he get a lawyer and refrain from discussing the situation on this forum.  I also agree with the other people that commented about how he learned of his firing (if that is infact how it happened) the manager has a lot to learn about firing somebody.  Being an at will state doesn't mean you can fire somebody just because you feel like it that day, you must still have reason and also show what was done to rectify the situation before the firing, or am I wrong?