Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Bad Checks  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
Bad Checks
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Is it me or does it seem like they waste alot of time on this? I know in Howell County they give you the option To pay the Bad checks and fines before the court date. This being done seems to free up time for other cases. Why can't they do that here? I know someone had a $7.00 check that she thought was paid by the banks overdraft etc etc. She then found out she had a warrant due to no notification that she needed to show up in court. Over all it was a costly ordeal and took all day in court just to pay a fine. I know that on closed accounts and such like that they need to go to court but things happen and good people make mistakes.
I think if they went with the way howell county does it. We would have more time for other things other than bad checks.

On another note this all happened under the previous PA and Sheriff

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Re: Bad Checks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:33:58 PM »
This part of the woods takes bad checks more serious than DUI.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:39:47 PM »
Well bad checks are an issue every where. I understand that but take less time on them give people another option to correct the wrong. Save tax payer dollars and time and fry bigger fish.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »
WalMart in Virginia would hire people to go out and find the bad check writers and get the money and then they could keep 25% of what they collected.  They would give you literally $10-20,000 in checks to start with.  I started to do it but my bf at the time said it sounded like it could be dangerous so I didn't do it.  But around here, you could make some quick dough, Walmart would save legal fees, bad check writers would stay out of the court system and a hustling person could make a fortune.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »
Many years ago I was in court with my son and they had tons on bad checks being processed.  I saw a guy that had written two checks for a total of about $10.00 and he got nailed for the $10.00 plus $150 per check.  I couldn't believe that, but I guess that's the court costs of whatever you call them. 

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »
Well a $7.16 or whatever to Taco Bell cost her $56 for the check 118.50 Court fines and the the $250 to bond out due to never getting her summons. Had to apy a bail bonds or lose her job lol.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »
That is about the dumbest thing I've heard....there was a lady in Maries county who floated a check for $15.00 for food for her kids.  Very poor woman, of course the check bounced.  Now how in the hell is she expected to pay $150.00 plus the probably $20 to the bank and $20 to the grocery store plus the original $15.00 when she can't even afford to feed her kids!!!  That makes me sick.  JUDGES NEED TO TAKE NOTICE!!

Many years ago I was in court with my son and they had tons on bad checks being processed.  I saw a guy that had written two checks for a total of about $10.00 and he got nailed for the $10.00 plus $150 per check.  I couldn't believe that, but I guess that's the court costs of whatever you call them. 

Offline eli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »
Did he pay the court by check?  LOL i would have.

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »
I paid my bank to stop payment on a check to someone who was suppose to do some work for me, but they never did the work. The check was later cashed at a local grocery store. The grocery store called me to tell me the check was not honored at my bank because I had them stop payment on it. I told them what happened and they said ok. Later I received a check from the PA saying I had a bad check to this store. I went to the PA and they told me to write a letter explaining what happened and they would read it. I did, but it was not good enough. I did have the option to take care of the check ($35) plus the fee to the PA - I think it all totaled $90. I could not get my stop payment fee back from the bank either. Talk about a rip off! Anyway that is my story - but my point is I had a chance to take care of mine before it went to court.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
I know a woman in Maries county that opened a checking account recently and deliberately went around writing everyone bad checks .  She lives off of SSI, and was writing checks for hundreds of dollars of things.  The bank closed her account, she was arrested but not held, and as of last week was bragging she was writing checks on  that closed account for all kinds of stuff, including gasoline for her car.   
She will probably never be held accountable because she is mentally challenged and unstable.

As a business owner in the past, I learned I was better off going to the homes of people that wrote me bad checks to try to collect, because the ones that got turned over to the PA were never paid, and once you do that, you have to sign a paper stating you will not attempt to collect.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 11:21:45 PM »
Almost everyplace that takes checks go through that Check Guard system now.  When I moved back here from PA, somehow or other, don't remember the details, but I bounced a check on my bank in PA because I was changing my direct deposit for retirement.  Anyway, it was sent to the check place down on the square in waynesville.  I think it cost me an additional $20.00.  The people who have to pay $100's of dollars more must have ignored request to make the check good so they ended up in court.  I know it's tough but that's what happens when we don't pay our bills. 

Offline Inside Out

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 04:19:44 AM »
Well the communication factor has alot to do with it. You don't always get the notice and it runs you into hundreds of dollars.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
I had a problem with a garage that I felt way over charged me for work. This was outside Ft. Polk. I stopped payment on a $300 something check. A week later I got called by the MP's at the main gate to come there. A I guess Dep Sheriff was there and said I needed to pay the check within 1 hour or go to jail. When I explained the situation he just said. Boy you are in LA and if you utter a check it better clear. Then you use the courts or whatever. I went to the bank and got the money to him real fast. Learned that stopping payment for services rendered is not a answer. Oh and he only made me pay the amount of the check, no fines nothing extra.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline ♣♥Young & Foolish♥♣

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »
If people would keep up with the account balance either by calling the bank or keeping it in the check book they wouldnt be bouncing $10 checks. I think some people dont keep it up so when they bounce a check they are freaking out but in the end its their fault. If you dont think you have enough money to buy something DONT!! Its not worth the court costs. Althought I wouldnt know i have never bounced a check...never want to either.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »
If people would keep up with the account balance either by calling the bank or keeping it in the check book they wouldnt be bouncing $10 checks. I think some people dont keep it up so when they bounce a check they are freaking out but in the end its their fault. If you dont think you have enough money to buy something DONT!! Its not worth the court costs. Althought I wouldnt know i have never bounced a check...never want to either.

Not always. I kept an imacculate record of a bank account until I got divorced. We closed the acount due to the divorce and both our names were on the account. the bank never told us of any discrepancy or bad check. 3 years later the sheriffs department were going through warrants and pulled a warrant for me for a bad check for 25 bucks from that account.I never recieved notice of a bounced check and I ended up hiring a lawyer because I didnt think I wrote the check. in the end it would have cost me around 1000.00 in lawyer fees to get cleared of the bad check, or I could make restitution for around 500 dollars and 8o some odd dollars for court costs.  It didnt seem fair to me but it was the only way I could get out of the ordeal without paying thru the nose.
Biscuit

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 01:21:05 AM »
Now I understand why the PA loves to prosecute them so much.  No notification is required....except to show up on court.  Great way to do business and make money for the county or city.  Easy evidence and little to no work required on her part.  This is not a slam.  the previous two did the same thing.   The standing joke was always you can get away with just about anything except writing a bad check.  I wonder why we hear so little about all the drug prosecutions here in this county after the busts are made?

cenwoman

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
There is notification required. The problem is alot of bad checks don't have correct addresses on them. The prosecutor also will let you pay them instead of going to court. Most people don't show up. Bad cheks are a huge problem here. Thousands of dollars to retailer are lost. It can take years to ever get paid for them , if you ever do.

Offline cayteaka

• Today is a gift, tomorrow is a blessing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »
I can tell you that writing bad checks is a real problem for businesses. Businesses depend on the money they make to survive. They too must pay utilities, employees, taxes etc. and in most cases the person writing the check could care less about that. I am fortunate to have only had this problem twice in the past and unfortunately am currently dealing with it again.

Normally I am pretty sympathetic to others problems but not this time. When you knowingly write a bad check it is the same as stealing. Whether you are stealing actual merchandise or services the business is out the time and materials. I have wrote a bad check once and it was when in Alaska and married to my ex. I was mortified, I called the company immediately and went down to pay it in cash. The next day I got a seperate checking account from my then husband. I have ever had this problem again.

I bet if the businesses started posting names of bad check writers to the public some of them would definately take care of the situation to have the name removed from the publics view.

Offline ♣♥Young & Foolish♥♣

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »
There is a little ice cream shop in dixon who had last time i was in there posted all the bad checks written there. And  my husband and I knew one of ther people on there, and these checks were between $5-$15. I can see where some married couples could get into trouble, when you have one person keeping track of all the money and the spouse is spending without telling.

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 07:48:23 PM »
cay, bad checks was one of the reason I got out of the retail business. 
Checks written with me were generally because they weren't carrying enough cash (pet purchases are frequently impulse).  So the checks were in the triple digits.  I was too small potatoes to deal with credit card fees, that would have helped, otherwise.
Between bad checks and shoplifting, I was just basically spinning my wheels, it wasn't worth all the work I was putting into it to be basically giving my inventory away.  And not to be a thread jacker, another aggrevation was customers always getting riled if you wouldn't haggle prices. 
The bottom line is making honest mistakes in the check book is understandable. unfortunately the banks are making a fortune on overdraft charges on the more honest mistakes, the ones that do it deliberately just go to a different bank, and leave unpaid fee trails behind them.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 11:28:54 PM »
i know a station in montreal that has a big sign right on the front door posted for everyone to see who owes and seems to be working cause the last time i seen it alot of the names had been marked off. guess some people were to embarrassed to have their names up for the world to see and decided to clear their names.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline ShowmeHillbilly

• Actions speak louder than words, U have 2 show me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
Well unless its a private party most checks get taken straight out of your account now and the check handed back so checks will be obsolete pretty soon and it will come from a debit card or cash.
I never take a check if I sell anything. I ask them to go cash it then bring it back so that way I am not involved what so ever. If they can write a check then they can go cash it real quick and bring it back to you. I have taken cash to anyone I have bought from just because I dont want to ask them if they will take a check knowing how I feel about it.
easy answer for small places. Some even put up that checks arent accepted.
You never know how STRONG you are...until being strong is the ONLY choice you have.
Life Isnt about waiting for the storm to pass...Its about learning to dance in the rain.
Someday someone will walk into your life & make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else!

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »
I don't have the money on me, but if you give my bank this piece of paper they will give you the money.
Sound cheesy to anyone else?
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »
I once wrote a check on a single sheet of 2 ply toliet paper.  The bill was a load of c**p, The bank took the "check" made the guy turn it over and endorse it on the back.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
Did he pay the court by check?  LOL i would have.

No idea on that, sorry.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 06:24:15 PM »
Ya, it appears this area does have a real problem with people writing bad checks.  I would think that people, through the years, have seen the cost associated with writing them and stopped.  But I guess that makes too much sense.

Offline hancock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 12:59:15 AM »
I know a woman in Maries county that opened a checking account recently and deliberately went around writing everyone bad checks .  She lives off of SSI, and was writing checks for hundreds of dollars of things.  The bank closed her account, she was arrested but not held, and as of last week was bragging she was writing checks on  that closed account for all kinds of stuff, including gasoline for her car.  
She will probably never be held accountable because she is mentally challenged and unstable.

Sounds like one that I had to deal with.  Some woman, total stranger, had my phone number printed on her checks and then bounced them all over the place.  She even put it on loan applications.  I explained it to most of the callers but a few, especially collectors, got hateful about it.  I'd had the same number for years, unlisted even, so I guess she just pulled it out of the air. 
An Army mom doesn't cry.........in front of her soldier

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 01:33:59 AM »
The deviousness of people never ceases to amaze me.
I have never been able accept the fact that loosers can be such good cons.
Is it some kind of sick poetic justice that people who can't get it together enough to live by the guidelines the rest of us do, can come up with the most ingenious methods to rip us off.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi