Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: 2008 State of Union Sheriff's Dept. Report  (Read 13678 times)

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
2008 State of Union Sheriff's Dept. Report
« on: January 12, 2008, 02:29:18 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

2008 State of The Union Report
                                             Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department

As part of the 2007 budget process I submitted a State of the Union report to the Pulaski County Commission. At this time 95% of the material in that report remains unchanged. The 2008 report will only focus on a few key points. They are low employee pay, excessive loss of employees, the training effort associated with that loss, the financial loss to the County due to departing employees, and the inadequate numbers of employees. As members of the Pulaski County Commission I urge you to carefully read the contents of this report. I will also submit the 2007 report for background information.

Low employee pay: The pay scale associated with the Sheriffs Department has been woefully inadequate for many years. In accordance with my instructions from the Pulaski County Commission I have submitted the 2008 budget with the 25 cent per hour wage increase for each employee. The news of this 25-cent per hour raise has already resulted in the loss of the Dispatch Division Supervisor. He joins 54 other full time employees who have departed from the Sheriff’s Department since January of 2005. My fear is that as 2008 continues I will lose other key members of my Department.We cannot lose 55 full time employees in only 36 months and continue to prosper as a Department. We have now lost 20 road Deputies, 20 jail staff members and 15 Dispatch employees. The loss of experience, training, and general knowledge about people and events that have previously affected Law Enforcement here in Pulaski County is a horrible burden to bear for our department. The financial drain on the County budget as each of these 55 people were paid off when they exited our employ has created problems over the past 36 months because the money was not there to make the payoff.

During the 2007 State Audit, the audit team devoted a great deal of study to the time sheets of the Sheriff’s Department employees. The final audit report indicated they felt we had an outstanding balance of some 3,700 hours of compensatory time on the books.And the news gets much worse. Due to the passage of the new minimum wage bill in 2006 many legal experts feel that the exempt provisions found in the special 171-hour Law Enforcement section have been repealed. The 171-hour rule means that an officer may work 171 hours in a 28-day period without incurring any overtime. In simple terms it means that during each 28-day period the Deputy works 11 hours for free. There are 13 pay periods under the 171-hour rule per year. At the max limit of 11 hours per 13 periods this would credit each Deputy with another 214.5 hours of comp time per year. Approximately 16 deputies would be in a position for this to apply and that works out to the possibility of an additional 3,432 hours for one year.At this time I have received advice from legal counsel to continue tracking the Deputies under the 171-hour standard until such time as Circuit Court cases have cleared the air as to exactly what the new law means.

But I must note that the State of Missouri has ordered all state law enforcement departments to consider their officers as 40-hour per week employees. Many other major size departments have also taken this step. My own reading of the new law is that it is only a matter of time until our Pulaski County Deputies will draw time and a half for each hour over 40 per week. And this change will be retroactive to January of 2007. This will require a massive adjustment of our time cards and greatly increase our comp time totals. The Pulaski County Commission has set the policy that employees of the Sheriff’s Department may not be paid for comp time. They must take the time off or they may be paid in full if they leave the department. Since the employees are not going to be paid unless they leave our employ per the Commission order this means we do have time to plan a response to this issue.

In the year 2004 the department recorded 3,912 calls for service. We finished 2007 with a total of 9,226 calls for service. Our last increase in the number of Deputies for the department occurred in 1999. At this time we do not have the number of Deputies that we need to handle to workload. Ordering Deputies to take comp time off will not work. We cannot spare them from the daily workload. The only solution will be to increase the number of Deputies in the Department. One last point to consider is that each departing Deputy or employee means we have another person to train. For the road Deputies it means a two-person team responds to each call. Thus we work one person short until the new officer is trained.

With 12 road positions this does hamper us but we can manage. When the new employee is from the dispatch or jail section, which only has five employees to start with, the loss is critical. It leads to large amounts of overtime each week as the training process continues. It forces us to release the new employee to a working alone status before they may be ready. Thus mistakes will occur. We must add additional people to the jail and dispatch staff in order to give us a chance to control overtime.In the jail section we have been forced to work one person at a time to protect, control, and supervise thirty inmates or more at any given time. I will not repeat all of the problems that this creates; I have already covered this issue at great length in the 2007 State of the Union Report. BUT this issue must be resolved. We must double the staff that works in our jail.

At this time Pulaski County finds itself in the position where we must properly complete our required legal duty to safeguard and otherwise care for the inmates committed to our jail. This is our duty under many laws including United States Code title 18 Sec.1983. The deliberate or willful indifference to their health, welfare and safety can have extremely serious consequences for Pulaski County. As the Sheriff I can only request, plead, and beg for the help we need. The only persons who can resolve this problem are the three members of the Pulaski County Commission. This is a duty that YOU owe to the inmates that our housed in our jail.

The low employee pay scales must be addressed. In looking at the road and bridge budget for 2007 I was struck by the fact that two employees there had entry level salary figures in the $23,000.00 range. Everyone else was $25,000.00 or higher. In the 2007 State of the Union address I noted that the 2006 budget featured an average salary of $26,907.89 for each road and bridge employee and the average for each Sheriff’s Department employee was only $21,768.47. This was a difference of $5,139.42 per employee. For the 2007 budget the average salary for a road and bridge employee was $27,369.00. In 2007 for the Sheriff’s Department it was $21,767.39.

Once again I must note that our salary levels are grossly inferior to the road and bridge employees. In Pulaski County it pays better to have a Commercial Drivers License and a shovel to guard a pothole then it does to wear a bullet resistant vest and arrest violent offenders. The hazards we face are real, as you will recall, not that long ago, one of our Deputies was shot twice at close range with a shotgun. Our Deputies must possess a state POST license that requires almost one year to acquire at an expense of over $5,000.00 in fees. Then they must complete 48 hours of continuing education for each three-year block of time after they leave the Academy.Our training levels are higher, our danger levels are higher, we work 24/7/365 and my Deputies would like to know why they are paid much less than the road and bridge employees. Why?Recommendations for the Commission
  • Establish a second process service position. You already have a letter from me explaining how we can do this at NO cost to the County.
  • Establish at least 3.5 additional jail staff members, 6 would be better. We will have a new source of revenue this budget year from Lowe’s that we have never had before and that sales tax revenue will cover 3.5 new jail staff members with ease. This same source can also fund one more full time dispatch position. Both of these moves will decrease comp time for the future and allow us to do our job with more efficiency.
  • For the Future of the Department and the Future of Pulaski County, place a ˝ cent sales tax for the operation of the Sheriff’s Department on the ballot. This tax should be only for operations. The funding for the jail expense should continue to come from the general revenue fund. If the citizens of Pulaski County would approve this tax it would enable us to double the size of the Sheriff’s Department over the 36-month period after the tax is passed. It would allow us to add badly needed full time Narcotic officers to our staff. It would provide for the necessary vehicles for the department. It would allow us to pay a decent wage to all sections of our department, thus cutting way down on the loss of experienced employees. It would allow us to structure our employee pay scale to allow for growth and promotions. At this time our supervisors make the same salary as the people they supervise. This violates most common business and leadership practices. It would also enable us to pay off the mountain of comp time liability that we face. And last but not least the funding from general revenue that used to come to the Sheriff’s Department, less jail expense, would be returned to the control of the Pulaski County Commission and could be used for other serious projects in Pulaski County.
The future of Pulaski County is in your hands.  As members of the Pulaski County Commission you control the County and you determine the direction the County will take for the future.

Sheriff J. B. King

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
Re: 2008 State of Union Sheriff's Dept. Report
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:38:06 AM »
I thought you all might like to read my new report. But I must correct one part. There was a court ruling this week that the new wage law did not erase the FLSA 171-hour exempt status for officers and that system shall continue. I suspect there will be other court cases on this and other things may occur but for now the 171 stands.
    JB

Offline laciesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 05:39:28 AM »
I don't believe you could have made it any plainer for them, but then again we know their records when it comes to your budget JB.   :karma:
Real love stories never have endings.
Richard Bach

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »
You done good J.B. I like your plan Anybody with any sense would have have to approve your plan. If not we can always vote their butts out of office.  Higher pay = Better talent
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
I too like your plan.  What Mark said though is not gonna happen in one sense.  The ONLY sense the commissioners show is when their own interests are included.  Just wanted another dig at them. 

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »
Its too bad we can't make the commissioners spend one shift a week at the jail. They could see first hand what they see when out riding around our county roads.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »
They should have been there yesterday when we had non-emergency calls pending for hours.  There were 35 calls yesterday.  Do that math and figure out the number for the year.  Don't tell the boss though....it won't be pretty.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
I wish there were some way to force them to spend a full week in the Dept.  Then they could learn first hand how busy it gets and how much extra time the Deputies put in. 

I am sorry that you are leaving YT.  I know you will be missed.  Hopefully the Commissioners will wake up and do something before we start losing more of you.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:46:09 PM »
Thanks Law.....simply put I am tired of being poor.  I had to cancel my health ins. a few months ago to try to comensate and that didn't help much. It came down to a decision with the baby coming soon. 

I am going to still be a reserve and work most Friday nites to help out.

The commissioners haven't woke up yet...I doubt they will until they are voted out of office for someone who realizes the plight of the County and is willing to be the bigger person and do something about it without worrying about their business buddies or good ole boys.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »
I can understand your reasons.  Health insurance costs are way too high and the little bit that the Dept. pays towards it is laughable.  I don't think the Commissioners or the public are really aware of how much off duty time the Deputies put into the Dept., between car repairs and follow up on cases, court hearings and preparation, along with training, it doesn't seem like they have any time left for anything else.  It is a good thing that they are all so devoted to making a difference.

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
JB’s challenges will all come to a head during the next election for commissioners. If you follow what is being said in the Guide and on the Pulaski County web site, you have an opportunity to read for yourself the challenges facing the sheriff. You vote the commissioners out of office that will not allow a law enforcement tax be placed on the ballot. They are keeping taxpayers from voting on the issue. Does a dictatorship ring a bell here?

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
JB’s challenges will all come to a head during the next election for commissioners. If you follow what is being said in the Guide and on the Pulaski County web site, you have an opportunity to read for yourself the challenges facing the sheriff. You vote the commissioners out of office that will not allow a law enforcement tax be placed on the ballot. They are keeping taxpayers from voting on the issue. Does a dictatorship ring a bell here?

Good Point Smokey.  JB will also be up for election.  It will be interesting to see which person running against JB will get into bed with Ransdall so to speak in order to further his own cause. 

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 02:45:14 PM »
Whoever it is better remember that Bill is NOT a man of his word.  Not when it comes to the Sheriff anyway.  Only when that word means something furthering of his (Bill's) own agenda.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
I heard from a friend of a friend that the guy that has the Elbow Inn is going to run for Sheriff. Like I say this is just maybe gossip.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »
A woman owns the Elbow Inn..

I heard from a friend of a friend that the guy that has the Elbow Inn is going to run for Sheriff. Like I say this is just maybe gossip.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »
YOu must be talking about TR.  Heard it but never stopped to ask him.

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
At one time Terry was going to run for the job but this was right before he retired from the sate and before he bought the bar in the Elbow and another in Rolla. I do not know if he is running both or not right now. Terry cannot beat JB now with he has been in the office for a while. It is tough to remove an existing public official unless there is a great outcry against what he is doing. JB has been doing a great job, PLUS he keeps the taxpayers/voters informed. Good communication is what is needed to continue being elected in any office or as an appointed official. JB has an excellent grasp of what is happening in the county and takes the added time and effort to keep everyone informed. Dennis and Bill do not. They have a great amount of arrogance about them. They come off as being better and smarter than anyone else is. Voters need to start throwing out names here on who they would like to see replace Dennis and Bill. I think Bill F is doing a good job but is being outvoted. The law enforcement issue MUST be put on the ballot so the people can vote on it. The pay of the sheriff's staff is horrible. This is obvious to anyone with half a brain and this is why Bill and Dennis do not get it.

Offline eli

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 10:37:41 PM »
At one time Terry was going to run for the job but this was right before he retired from the sate and before he bought the bar in the Elbow and another in Rolla. I do not know if he is running both or not right now. Terry cannot beat JB now with he has been in the office for a while. It is tough to remove an existing public official unless there is a great outcry against what he is doing. JB has been doing a great job, PLUS he keeps the taxpayers/voters informed. Good communication is what is needed to continue being elected in any office or as an appointed official. JB has an excellent grasp of what is happening in the county and takes the added time and effort to keep everyone informed. Dennis and Bill do not. They have a great amount of arrogance about them. They come off as being better and smarter than anyone else is. Voters need to start throwing out names here on who they would like to see replace Dennis and Bill. I think Bill F is doing a good job but is being outvoted. The law enforcement issue MUST be put on the ballot so the people can vote on it. The pay of the sheriff's staff is horrible. This is obvious to anyone with half a brain and this is why Bill and Dennis do not get it.
Great analogy Frank i agree.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »
If I remember correctly JB said he dont want the job again.
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 12:40:44 AM »
If I remember correctly JB said he dont want the job again.
I think your mistaken about JB not wanting the job.
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 01:13:39 AM »

Dear Smokey, I find your remarks on my communication skill to be very interesting. As we started into this merry election cycle a few months ago I started to notice that some person is always posting under the Daily Guide blog about how I always "play" on the internet instead of fighting crime. So far it had been my experience that the vast majority of the folks in these parts like the idea of having some clue what is happening with the PCSD. So I guess those other people will just have to vote me out of office for "playing" on the internet.

I have often wondered just what would happen if I kept our problems secret and then one big day we fell on our face with a major crime because we did not have the resources we had needed to handle the situation. But I already know the answer, how dare I not keep the public informed prior to the failure!!!

Kind of like the joke told last year. Sheriff King walks across the Lake of the Ozarks on TOP of the water and the Commissioners start a nasty smear rumor that he cannot swim!!

Yes me run in 2008.

JB

Offline my3sons

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 01:31:37 AM »
You go JB!! You defintely have a supporter here!

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 01:43:02 AM »
Even though J.B. and I have had disagreements in the past I will vote for him any day over a drunken Terry Robertson. That guy is arrogant dumb sh&t who thinks he's already the Sheriff. I don't know Bill Andereson But I've heard he's a stand up guy. As of right now my vote is for J.B.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 02:08:41 AM »
You go JB!! You defintely have a supporter here!

Thank You.

JB

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:40 AM »
Even though J.B. and I have had disagreements in the past I will vote for him any day over a drunken Terry Robertson. That guy is arrogant dumb sh&t who thinks he's already the Sheriff. I don't know Bill Andereson But I've heard he's a stand up guy. As of right now my vote is for J.B.

The thud you just heard was JB's head hitting the floor when he fainted.

JB

Offline Jax

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 02:26:43 AM »
JB, I am extremly happy that you are going to run in the upcoming election.
Let me know how I can help.   
Jax 

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 02:42:37 AM »
To ANNOY:  the answer to your question is, the approved 2008 salary for the three Commissioners is listed at $92,189.00
         JB

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 02:45:01 AM »
Stupid question, I am sure -- but just to clarify --- Is that Each or a line item total (as in 3 commissioners total to $92k)?
To ANNOY:  the answer to your question is, the approved 2008 salary for the three Commissioners is listed at $92,189.00
         JB

"Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 02:57:16 AM »
Stupid question, I am sure -- but just to clarify --- Is that Each or a line item total (as in 3 commissioners total to $92k)?

Total expense for all three. Not sure how the divide goes. Sorry.

JB