Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Sneak Peek Sheriff's View  (Read 455489 times)

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
Re: Sneak Peek Sheriff's View
« Reply #930 on: April 03, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

The Sheriff’s View #15 for the week of April 5 through 9, 2010.

Welcome aboard for another column. Today I think I can say that I would rather be outside in the sun and green grass than inside at the computer trying to compose another column. But I promised that I would give you the column’s to read and I shall continue to honor my political promise.  But do not kid yourself, I would much rather be outside today.

Our first topic will be the yearly case number/calls for service count as of today. And that number currently stands at 2,496. I checked last year’s column and I did not give the case number count in that column so I cannot compare the numbers. We have been busy with a lot of calls lately. None of them were high profile cases just a lot of little cases to work on for the deputies.

This past week I had a complaint from a county resident that we do not arrest the scum of our county and get them off the street to prevent future crime. As I have said many times before we usually run two or maybe three deputies on for each shift. Many of the local police departments have work schedules that are close to the same manpower staffing per shift. At any given time we may have 2 deputies on duty. The City of St. Robert might have 2 or 3 on duty and the city of Waynesville may have 2 on and so forth.

All law enforcement agencies in Pulaski County report their monthly crime stats such as arrests into the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Uniform Crime Reports which are better known as UCR’s. This is a legal requirement and if you want grants on the state or federal level you must be able to show that you complied with the UCR reporting. These UCR reports can be found on the website of the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

At this time the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office has a total of 12 road deputies, 3 command and administrative deputies, and one part time detective for a total of 15.5 deputies who routinely answer calls in the county. That figure includes the sheriff. According to the UCR reports we arrested a total of 1,168 people in 2009 for the most common criminal offences that occurred in Pulaski County. The only traffic offense that is counted in these totals is the driving while intoxicated charges.

The other law enforcement agencies in Pulaski County added another 1,153 criminal arrests to the UCR total of 2,321 for Pulaski County in 2009. When you add up the manpower the city police agencies have and the much lower square mile area that they must patrol then I believe that our total of 1,168 arrests for 550 square miles looks pretty good. And yes I know that we do not patrol the entire 550 square miles but we do travel the entire 550 square miles to get to our next call and that equals a lot of travel time. As a side note our case number/calls for service count for 2009 stood at 9,678 for the year. As a second side note during 2009 we booked 2,053 people into the Pulaski County Jail.

As part of the preparation for writing this column I checked with the Pulaski County Circuit Clerk’s office for the case number count for criminal cases filed in Pulaski County Circuit Court for the year 2009. According to the clerk’s office there were a total of 1,022 cases filed in Pulaski County Circuit Court during 2009. However 220 of those cases were change of venue’s from other counties, mainly Phelps County, that were sent here as part of the criminal justice process. That means 802 Pulaski County criminal cases were filed in Pulaski County Circuit during 2009.  Please remember that the officers can only make the arrest and present the case to the Pulaski County Prosecutor who has the SOLE authority to file or not file a case.

The criminal case numbers do not include our traffic citations. And while I was pondering the criminal counts I realized that I had not yet released the 2009 racial profile numbers. As many of you know each time a Missouri police officer stops a vehicle they must complete a racial profile report on the vehicle stop. The big number that is critical for the report is the race of the driver. The officer is supposed to determine race based on the appearance of the driver.

During 2009 the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office conducted 993 vehicle stops. The big number was 859 white drivers for .865% of the stops. The next highest was black drivers at 82 for .0825% of the stops. The third highest was Hispanic for 37 stops followed by a tie between Asian and “other” at 6 each. The final category was Native American with 3 stops. I might add that the “other” category is supposed to be used when the officer cannot decide to what race the driver belongs.

Our racial profile report was submitted to the Missouri Attorney General’s Office well before the deadline of 3-1-2010.  The AG’s office will publish the racial profile report on June 1, 2010, and anyone who wants to examine the other math related totals that the AG’s office report covers may do so by going to the website of the Missouri Attorney General after 6-1-2010.

I realize that I have included a lot of numbers in this column. Please remember that each number also translates into paper work that the deputies must complete. Even the most simple of reports takes 15-20 minutes to complete. The complex reports may take days. In addition to the travel and report writing time the deputies have a lot a required training time and court appearance time. The deputies also served over 5,000 civil and criminal court papers last year.

The numbers cited in this column, when looked at as the totality of their circumstances, may give you some clue as to why I feel that two or even three deputies on each shift are simply not enough to cover the needs of the citizens of Pulaski County. Some have called my presentation of facts such as these to be “whining” on my part. I consider it part of the education process that must be done in order to advance the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office for the future. If the citizens of Pulaski County do not understand our problems then they cannot help me forge a better department. We need help! But for a positive note in closing, the light bulb continues to burn.

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 04, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »
Having only 2 road deputies on duty given our large increase in population should be disturbing to the general public.  Stating statistics and numbers isn't "whining" but rather fact!  I suppose the truth does hurt on occasion........  Our past Pulaski County Commissions would have been better off adding a road deputy position per year starting back in about 2000.  With that said, it will definitely be interesting to see the new census numbers when they're published. 

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »
Again it is whitey causing all the problems.

?????????????????????

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:16 PM »

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Perhaps it was a code word for "Commission"................................................. .......

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 09, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »
The state senate panel has recommended droping the rate they pay counties to house their prisoners from 22 a day to 19.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 09, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »
if i did my math correctly that would be a 13.6% drop in repay. In 2009 we spent $276,630.00 on inmate board. I will have to check to see what we did get back (those figures do not come to my office) but usually it runs artound $200,000.00 so a 13.6% driop wiuld cost the county about $27,200.00 extra a year. The diff between the $276 and the $200 would have been the actual county cost of $76,630 for2009. The new formula would add $27,200.00 to make the actual county cost $103,830.00

I will try to find time to get the actual figures soon and post the correct figures instead of an example.

JB

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 09, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »
I let David Day know. Seems our state has a 500,000,000.00 defecit problem....... That's Million.

if i did my math correctly that would be a 13.6% drop in repay. In 2009 we spent $276,630.00 on inmate board. I will have to check to see what we did get back (those figures do not come to my office) but usually it runs artound $200,000.00 so a 13.6% driop wiuld cost the county about $27,200.00 extra a year. The diff between the $276 and the $200 would have been the actual county cost of $76,630 for2009. The new formula would add $27,200.00 to make the actual county cost $103,830.00

I will try to find time to get the actual figures soon and post the correct figures instead of an example.

JB

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 09, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »
holy crap!!!!
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 10, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »
Saw the news on this again and this time they reported $19.50, not $19.00.

JB

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 11, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
Watch out JB that will cost you another deputy position!!

Kansas has the same deficit problem.  They are talking about taxing sugar and something else but I forgot what (it's late lol)

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 11, 2010, 06:47:03 AM »
I may still have some WWII sugar stamps if you need them YT

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 11, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »

The Sheriff’s View #16 for the week of April 12 through 16, 2010.

Welcome aboard one more time for another trip around Pulaski County with the deputies of the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office. We had a busy week this past week and I shall devote a lot of space to one major incident in this column.

On Tuesday of last week at 9:25am we had a westbound BNSF train derail in Swedeborg. Approximately 17 cars were damaged or off the tracks. Many had overturned down the railway embankment. This incident had the potential to be an extremely serious incident.

Over the past 40 years of my law enforcement career I have had to go through many training classes and exercises that dealt with truck wrecks on I-44 and train derailments that involved hazardous materials. I think I would swear that at least every other class that I ever attended started out with more or less the following brief as to what we faced for the training exercise.

“Gentlemen today we have a train derailment (or overturned tanker truck) right in the middle of the town. We have several tanker cars of anhydrous involved and overturned. We have a leak and our current wind speed is 25mph. The wind is blowing toward a populated section of town. The main road through town is blocked by the derailment. How do we handle this hazardous incident today?”

With all the past training in mind what do I find when I arrive on the scene in Swedeborg? Well surprise, surprise, we had an overturned train full of tanker cars right smack in the middle of Swedeborg. Even before we could find the train engineer with his load manifest I could not help but notice a tanker car of anhydrous that was off the rails but still upright.  It was also located about seventy yards from the Crocker Fire Department station in Swedeborg. The railroad crossing on Rt. T was completely blocked by the rest of the train and that immediately limited our ability to respond and take effective action. The rest of the tanker cars were spilled down over the railway embankment and had landed right next to the main east/west roadway in Swedeborg. And of course that limited our ability to respond or evacuate people. It only took a short glance at the large trees swaying in the wind to know that we were in the 20mph wind speed range. In short we had the perfect training exercise but unfortunately this one was for real.

Since this was a hazardous materials/possible fire scene under the National Incident Management System (NIMS) that put the Crocker Fire Chief in Command. As I started around the fire station of foot I saw that the firemen were already scoping out the wreck with their binoculars and the hazmat reference books were in their hands. It only took a few seconds to see that these firefighters had been well drilled in the correct response procedures. The radio traffic told me that both the Waynesville Rural Fire Department and the Richland Tri-County Fire Department were also responding. The evacuation of the Swedeborg residents in the wind path was already underway. We quickly cut off the flow of vehicle traffic into Swedeborg.

The initial scan of the wreck from the distance revealed no vapor clouds or smoke. The next step was to send two Crocker Firemen into the wreckage for a close range visual examination. The Crocker firemen donned their hazardous materials suits and moved in to inspect. As usual it was hard to understand them over the radio due to the fully enclosed suits but they soon returned and after they were hosed down to remove any chemicals they were able to remove the suits and talk.

They had found no sign of any vapor leak, no fire, and just one small spill of a yellow powder from one rail car. Over the next hour or so we located the train engineer, studied his load manifest, and verified the position of all the cars and their contents. We established staging areas for the train derailment crews that were headed our way. By 1:00pm Swedeborg residents were returning to their homes and the emergency phase of the incident was over.

We lucked out in a very big way on this derailment. There were no injuries in the accident. The anhydrous tanker never did leak. The overturned tanker cars were either filled with corn syrup or were empty petroleum tankers. The yellow powder spill turned out to be yellow corn meal. Yes, we were extremely fortunate for this incident could have been far worse in terms of hazardous materials or injury to the residents of Swedeborg.

The citizens of Pulaski County are very well blessed by the presence of several very well trained fire departments that are manned by people with good judgment and skill sets for the firefighting field. While all of us in the emergency response field routinely train for incidents such as a train derailment we seldom ever have to actually work such an incident. The fire departments in particular spend a lot of time and resources in order to keep up their training for such incidents.

We have train tracks running across the entire northern side of Pulaski County and I-44 running right down the middle of the county. We also have the presence of four major state highways and a railroad spur line going into Ft. Wood on the southeast side of Pulaski County. Our odds for a hazardous material truck accident/ train derailment incident are good. So the presence of well trained firemen and other first responders is a very good thing for our county. I repeat we have been blessed.

Since I am well over on the word count I need to close. I hope everyone understands that I left a lot of information about the train incident out of the column as I tried to make the train incident fit into my usual space. I hope I did not leave out anything that was critical. We will see you next week. The jail lights are on!

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 12, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
I may still have some WWII sugar stamps if you need them YT

lol....actually I am on the Missouri side but since in KC area I hear both sides politics.

Offline Dave D.

• Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 14, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
Did the train de-rail due to a problem with the train, or were the tracks to blame? Will we ever know the cause of the accident?
U.S. Army Combat Engineer, 1991-Present, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia. Drill Sergeant 2004-2006. There is no such thing as luck, there's trained, and untrained.

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 14, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
I heard that the recent derailment in Dixon was caused by broken/cracked track. But I don't think that was the case in this one.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 16, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »
I told you, it hit an armadillo which threw it off the track.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 17, 2010, 04:15:52 PM »
The Sheriff’s View #17 for the week of April 19 through 23, 2010.

Welcome aboard on a very nice spring day in the Ozarks. It is a very nice day to be outside in the pollen and sunlight. As I write the column this Saturday morning I am listening to the radio traffic of the deputies who are currently working. It sounds like two of the deputies are serving papers, one is on a call, and one deputy is working the traffic grant on his day off. So if something blows up we could send four deputies at once to a call. I must say that the idea of four deputies on at the same time makes me very happy.

I have already applied for the 2010/2011 MODOT traffic grant. I asked for the money to buy three Stalker radar units to equip the last three cars that do not have a radar unit. I also asked for 800 hours of paid overtime work for the deputies to do the traffic enforcement on their days off. As a reminder this grant is completely paid for by MODOT. We lose nothing out of pocket and the deputies get a chance to earn extra money so they can take care of their families. This grant also makes sense because it allows us to make criminal cases as we enforce the traffic laws. Over the past ten years Pulaski County has totaled right at one hundred deaths in traffic crashes so there is a need for more enforcement.

While we are on the grant front I can report that I have completed the required federal first quarter reports for all four of our active grants for 2010. Since we received $458K in free grant money we can expect a lot of federal paperwork and the paper will be worth what we receive. But we have even better news because I have been notified that additional money has been allocated for the 2009 COPS Grant and the feds are going to do a review in June of this year to determine which police agencies in Missouri will get the chance to add new officers to the payroll at federal expense. It would be one heck of a deal for us if we can score the grant. The feds will pay three full years of salary and fringe for two deputies and Pulaski County only has to pick up the year four salary and fringe. When the COPS grant cut off in 2009 they had funded the first nine departments on the list. We were in fifteenth place last year. Since the St. Louis and Kansas City Police Departments were funded to the tune of almost 100 officers in 2009 I have high hopes that being number fifteen on the list will not be a big problem this year. As this story unfolds I will pass on the latest information.

I have written many times now that my sense of humor in the column sometimes gets me in trouble. In a recent column I played an April fool joke and I had been somewhat dismayed by the lack of comments about my joke. Well I walked into the wrong business in St. Robert last week and found out that my joke had received a big play from the staff. The problem was that they read paragraph number one and then celebrated for “thirty” minutes before they read paragraph number two. They told me they spent the money several times over before they got the word there was no money. They told me they could not believe the evil, black hearted sheriff would trick such sweet and innocent young ladies such as themselves with such a devious joke. The good news was they were laughing so hard it took several minutes to make all of their comments. All I can say is thank you ladies for sharing the laughter with me. It made my day.

We have taken delivery of another wrecked police vehicle for our fleet. The car is a 2007 Ford with 42,000 miles and even better the CLERF Board of Directors agreed to fund the entire purchase price of $3,200.00 for the vehicle. We will have to add about $2,000.00 in repairs and paint to make the car whole again but that is a cheap price to pay for a 2007 year model. We will do some of the body work at a local business and the deputies will do some of the body work. When the smoke clears we will have a low cost and reliable vehicle for the fleet. This will be the third wrecked vehicle we have rebuilt for our fleet.

Our case number/calls for service count stands at 2,946 as of 9:00am on April 17, 2010. I checked last year’s column number seventeen and the count stood at 2,493 on that Saturday one year ago. In 2008 the count for number seventeen was 2,986. We seem to run fairly steady from year to year on this number.

An old time comedy expert named Will Rogers was once credited with saying, “Citizens beware the legislature is in session.” Our current legislature is hard at work this year. So far it seems that they have reduced the inmate board bill repayment from the state from $22.00 to $19.58 per day. This will cost Pulaski County a lot of money that we do not have. Then I have been shown another bill that will greatly lower the odds, make that prohibit, many felony convictions from entering the Missouri Department of Corrections. In fact for several of the crimes of drug possession, drug manufacture, stealing, bad checks, identity theft, tampering, forgery, and so forth the person will need to have been convicted twice before he can be sent to the pen on the third conviction.

Bluntly said I talk to citizens of Pulaski County almost every week who are upset that the person who stole from them did not go to the pen or got probation and so forth. This proposed new law will make a lot of Pulaski County citizens very unhappy. It also will NOT help the morale of our deputies. I have already expressed my disgust to Rep. David Day and Sen. Frank Barnitz reference this bill.

I seem to be over on my word count so I will close out for today. Please drive with care and please keep your actions legal. We do not want you in our jail. But the jail lights do work!

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:14 AM »
Congrats on the car. Thanks for doing your damnest keeping the department afloat.
Biscuit

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 20, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
Congrats on the car. Thanks for doing your damnest keeping the department afloat.

Thank You for the kind words. It is nice to know somebody can see the problems we face.

JB

Offline dalilama

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 21, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »
I understand the 3rd conviction thing....
BUT! There are quite a few out there that have been busted for the same thing 7 or 8 times and yet they are back on the streets to steal, sale drugs, and steal your identity... this will only make things worse, because they know they won't get in trouble for it!
Even when they are on probation, they still do the dope and steal...most get a smack on the hand. And that is why are county is going to crap.
Dont get me wrong....I think PCSD is awesome. You ALL do a great job...And I'm thankful we have you...but, damn it if we are sick and tired of working our butts off for everything we own just to have it stolen by some lil punk that is on dope and doesn't have a job...

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 21, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
I understand the 3rd conviction thing....
BUT! There are quite a few out there that have been busted for the same thing 7 or 8 times and yet they are back on the streets to steal, sale drugs, and steal your identity... this will only make things worse, because they know they won't get in trouble for it!
Even when they are on probation, they still do the dope and steal...most get a smack on the hand. And that is why are county is going to crap.
Dont get me wrong....I think PCSD is awesome. You ALL do a great job...And I'm thankful we have you...but, damn it if we are sick and tired of working our butts off for everything we own just to have it stolen by some lil punk that is on dope and doesn't have a job...

OK, take a deep breath and then tell us how you feel!

Just kiddin' I thank you for the kind words for PCSD. If this bill becomes law there are going to be a ton of very adverse problems for Pulaski County.

JB

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 25, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »

The Sheriff’s View #18 for the week of April 26 through 30, 2010.

Welcome aboard one more time as we struggle with the rain and flood waters. We have had a busy week and a bit of an unusual week of work for the department. The usual arrival of warm weather has once again greatly increased the amount of overtime that the deputies are working each day.

I took a quick survey through the time cards this week and quickly got to a total of over 4,000 hours of comp time that we owe the deputies and I did not look at every employee’s total time. When the state auditors did our last audit they totaled around 3,300 hours of comp time in their report. The county policy is to pay out the comp time when the employee leaves our service so the hours mount ever higher each year.

The best example that I can give is for one of our older deputies who acquired 368 hours of comp time during the Joe Johns manhunt many years ago. Those hours are still on his account. I might add that back during the manhunt he was paid a lot less that he is now and when we do pay him out for those hours it will be at a much higher rate of pay. This makes no financial sense at all to me.

We face a double edged sword on this one. Our deputy count has dropped over the past two budgets but the work load has increased. Thus we acquire more comp time each year that adds to the total. In order to cut this financial burden down we have a choice. We can increase the number of working deputies or we can cut our service to the citizens of Pulaski Country. I will not cut the service to the citizens of the county. We will work whatever hours are needed to do the best job that we can accomplish.

All of the above financial troubles are due to a lack of funding by the county. The county cannot pay off these costs that are owed with the money they do not have in the bank. Once again I will tell you that the entire Pulaski County general revenue fund comes from a single one half cent countywide sales tax.

We also had other bad news this week. One of our deputies was rushing to try and intercept a reported load of stolen goods that was being moved by a suspect vehicle. He attempted to cut cross country from Rt. DD onto a gravel road. He lost control of the vehicle and totaled out one of our 2003 Ford patrol cars. Naturally it was a car that Pulaski County does not have full coverage insurance on. So instead of receiving around $3,000.00 from the insurance company to use toward a replacement vehicle we will receive zero funds. I will have to figure out a way to replace the car.

Why does Pulaski County not have full coverage on the patrol car?  The answer is because Pulaski County does not have the financial resources to put full coverage insurance on our patrol cars. We only have full coverage on three or four of our very newest cars. For that matter why does Pulaski County fail to purchase patrol cars for the Sheriff’s department? The last time the county budget helped pay for a patrol car was in the year 1999 or 2000. Well once again I will tell you that the entire Pulaski County general revenue fund comes from a single one half cent countywide sales tax. You cannot pay out what you do not have unless you are the federal government.

I would imagine that about now some readers are saying there goes the Sheriff whining once again about money. Nope, I am simply telling YOU how YOU have decided to fund the sheriff’s department. If you want a better department for the future then you will have to fund better. If you are happy with the status quo then you are happy.

This weekend we set up a large training session for any police agency that wanted to attend a class on the latest training for dealing with an active shooter incident. We had right at thirty officers who attended the class from as far away as Branson. Since the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office hosted the event we decided to put all twelve of our paid road deputies into the same class. Since our twelve road deputies will be the primary responders for our department to any such incident we wanted all twelve of them to hear the same information and take part in the same tactical exercises at the same time.

In order to provide law enforcement cover for the county we requested and received a large turnout from our reserve deputies. The day shifts Saturday and Sunday were manned by reserves and the Sheriff. The evening shifts were manned by reserves and Lt. Claar. The midnight shifts were manned by reserves and Capt. Anderson. In order to get all twelve road deputies into the same class we had work some days off so add in more OT.

Why did we do this? If you listen to the national news you have probably heard about an armed attack on a hospital, a senior citizens home, a day care center, many schools, many work place locations, and even one police station. Last fall I issued a directive to the staff that during 2010 we were going to place a heavy emphasis on training for such an active shooter situation. Lt. Claar found a grant funded training academy that would come here and train at no cost to the host or other students. Lt. Claar and Capt. Anderson did all of the work on getting these folks here and setting up the training. It was complicated by the fact the trainers needed to know each student’s name several weeks in advance of the actual training. This week we trained the paid deputies. Next week our reserve deputies will take the same training.

I would like to give a special thanks to Dr. Judene Blackburn of the Waynesville School System for the loan of the old Waynesville Technical Academy as our training site. One of the critical aspects of this training was the use of special simunition firearms and ammunition. These weapons can fire accurately up to three hundred feet and that required a lot of room (and a lot of protection equipment) for the combat exercises that the students shot their way through.  Not to mention the fact that we needed a place that would not be damaged by the use of the weapons. The abandoned academy was perfect for this training. Thank You Dr. Blackburn!!!!

I believe that I have once again completed a column. I hope you will “tune in” again next week as I try to once again present you with the news and events that concern the sheriff’s office.  We are open for business and our jail space is limited but the jail lights work just fine.

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
great column JB, thanks

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 02, 2010, 12:15:04 AM »
The Sheriff’s View #19 for the week of May 3 through 7, 2010.

Welcome aboard one more time for another column of thrills and chills from the Office of the Pulaski County Sheriff. We had an extremely busy week this past week but that was to be expected as we enter into the busy summer months. We are in our usual summer frantic mode as we take in more calls than we can handle. I know I have said this before but two or three deputies on per shift is simply not enough to take care of this county during the summer. We have been pushed to the wall and the cuts in deputy manpower over the past two years did nothing to help the growing problem. It will get worse and there is very little I can do about this problem because it comes down to funding issues.

This weekend we are once again hosting the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training (ALERRT) training at the old Waynesville Technical Academy. This weekend our reserve deputies are there along with officers from other agencies and the military police from Ft. Wood. The training is fast paced and covers a lot of ground. I realize that many people will not like or understand what I will say next but I will write the words anyway. There will come a time when another terror strike by Muslim extremists will hit the United States. They will not use airplanes this time they will use foot soldiers attacking soft targets on American soil.

Under our current federal law the United States military cannot help us in such a terror strike against our schools, hospitals, or other targets that they attack. The job of stopping the armed attack will fall to American law enforcement officers. The 911 attack demonstrated that they do know how to plan and execute the plan for the maximum results. The 911 attack produced sheer horror for our citizens and so will the next attack. The holy war against the west will sooner or later be fought on American soil. I believe that it was last week that the Richland Mirror quoted Capt. Bill Anderson of our department as saying that it was not a question of if but a question of when the attack will occur. I fully agree with Bill on this issue. I have devoted as much time and training to this issue as I can manage.

The ALERRT training was brought to us free of charge as the result of a grant partnership with Texas State University- San Marcos, the San Marcos, Texas, Police Department and the Hays County Texas Sheriff’s Office. Additional funding was provided by the Bureau of Justice Assistance and the Criminal Justice Division of the Texas Governor’s Office. The instructors they have given us for both weekends have been top notch people.  All of the instructors teaching this class have clearly been there, done that, and bought the tee shirt.

I had one question from a reader this past week who wanted to know why I was spending time on this terror topic. I could give a long answer but in some respects I already have done that. So I will tell you to use your computer and surf the web for information about the terror attack in Beslan, Russia, on Sept. 1, 2004. You will not like what you read and if you have the reaction that it could not happen here then I will remind you that there used to be twin towers standing in New York City. I am the guy who will be held responsible in the aftermath of any such attack and I am doing what I can to prepare for the problem.

I would once again like to say thank you to Dr. Judene Blackburn and the Waynesville School System for the use of the old academy building. I would also like to thank the Hampton Inn for their excellent care of the ALERRT instructors during their stay in Pulaski County.

We are moving ahead on several grant issues. I hope to order two state of the art car camera systems for our fleet this next week.  That will mean we will have two cars equipped and ten to go but actually I can order three more camera systems on a second grant in the very near future. The end result will be that five of our twelve road deputies will have a camera equipped vehicle. I might add that these camera systems are fully funded by the grants. I do not remember if I mentioned that I have already applied for the 2010-2011 MODOT traffic grant. There is another grant on the horizon for some $13,000 that may be one that we can apply for but I do not have all the details about this grant yet.

The Miller County Jail dumped a bill for almost $33,000 on us for inmate board last week. The bill covered the first three months of this year. Needless to say this late bill destroyed the slightly favorable balance we had in the inmate board bill section of the budget so far this year. I have expressed my displeasure over the late bill with Miller County.

At this point I cannot think of another topic to write about so I will once again ask that you drive with care and keep your actions legal. We definitely do not need your jail business but if you just have to visit the jail you will enjoy the lights.

Offline deljam

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 07, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Sheriff, I am not politically inclined, but read an article about the possibility of moving Pulaski Co. up to a class one or two county.  If this happens, would the funding for the sheriff's department increase?  If so, seems it would behoove the powers that be to proceed on that.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 07, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »
If I was a terrorist I think our area or any area like it would be the perfect place for a terrorist attack.
While the kill ratio would not be as high I believe the panic that it would cause the nation would be even worse than it was for the NY attack.   I debated whether I should write this but then again I can’t be the first person to think of it. Think about it. Small town America, car bomb left near a school.  Imagine the effect that would have on people across the nation.  Look at that effect that NY had on the country and that is place you would expect to get hit.  Now I may not agree with our LE on lot things they do. I do like the idea of them being trained in something like this, especially since the training was free.

Offline Waynesvillian

• ^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 07, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »
Whats it matter if it ever happens our law enforcement will do what they can and complain about money afterwords.  The sherrif acts like they are the only people with money problems.  Shut up and nut up, do your job to the best of your abilities, quit making excuses as to why your so incompetent.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 07, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
Whats it matter if it ever happens our law enforcement will do what they can and complain about money afterwords.  The sherrif acts like they are the only people with money problems.  Shut up and nut up, do your job to the best of your abilities, quit making excuses as to why your so incompetent.

You are correct it is our policy to do the best we can despite the fact that you do not support us the way you should, read $$$$, in that statement. We have always done our best and will always do our best with the limited resources but then we get to hear the gripes from those who think we have UNLIMITED resources and should have done THEIR case better.

JB