Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Odd but true?  (Read 751 times)

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
Odd but true?
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:47 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

On the night of Feb. 20, the full moon will pass intoEarth's shadow in an event that will be visible across all of the United States and Canada.
The total lunareclipse will be made even more striking by the presence of the nearbyplanet Saturn and the bright bluish star, Regulus.
Eclipses in the distant past often terrified viewers whotook them as evil omens. Certain lunar eclipses had anoverwhelming effect on historic events. One of the most famous examples is thetrick pulled by ChristopherColumbus.
Shipwrecked
On Oct. 12, 1492, as every schoolchild has been taught, Columbuscame ashore on an island northeast of Cuba. He later named it SanSalvador (HolySavior). Over the next ten years Columbus would make three more voyagesto the"New World," which only bolstered his belief that he reached the FarEast by sailing West.
It was on his fourth and final voyage, while exploring thecoast of Central America that Columbus found himself in dire straits.He left C�diz, Spain on May 11, 1502, with the ships Capitana, Gallega,Vizca�na and Santiago de Palos. Unfortunately, thanks to an epidemic ofshipworms eating holes in the planking of his fleet, Columbus' wasforced toabandon two of his ships and finally had to beach his last two caravelson thenorth coast of Jamaica on June 25, 1503.
Initially, the Jamaican natives welcomed the castaways,providing them with food and shelter, but as the days dragged into weeks,tensions mounted. Finally, after being stranded for more than six months, halfof Columbus' crew mutinied, robbing and murdering some of the natives, who,themselves grew weary of supplying cassava, corn and fish in exchange forlittle tin whistles, trinkets, hawk's bells and other rubbishy goods.
With famine now threatening, Columbus formulated adesperate, albeit ingenious plan.
Almanac to the rescue
Coming to the Admiral's rescue was JohannesM�ller von K�nigsberg (1436-1476), known by his Latin pseudonym Regiomontanus.He was an important German mathematician, astronomer and astrologer.
Before his death, Regiomontanus published analmanac containing astronomical tables covering the years 1475-1506.Regiomontanus' almanac turned out to be of great value, for his astronomical tables provided detailed information about the sun,moon and planets, as well as the more important stars and constellations bywhich to navigate. After it was published, no sailor dared set out without acopy. With its help, explorers were able to leave their customary routes andventure out into the unknown seas in search of new frontiers.
Columbus, of course, had a copy of the Almanac with him when he was stranded on Jamaica. And he soon discovered fromstudying its tables that on the evening of Thursday, Feb. 29, 1504, a totaleclipse of the moon would take place soon after the time of moonrise.

Armed with this knowledge, three days before the eclipse, Columbusasked for a meeting with the natives Cacique ("chief") and announced tohim that his Christian god was angry with his people for no longersupplyingColumbus and his men with food. Therefore, he was about to provide aclear signof his displeasure: Three nights hence, he would all but obliterate therisingfull moon, making it appear "inflamed withwrath," which would signify the evils that would soon be inflictedupon all of them.

Bad moon rising
On the appointed evening, as the Sun set in the West and themoon started emerging from beyond the eastern horizon, it was plainly obviousto all that something was terribly wrong. By the time the moon appeared in fullview, its lower edge was missing!
And, just over an hour later, as full darkness descended,the moon indeed exhibited an eerily inflamed and "bloody"appearance: In place of the normally brilliant late winter full moon therenow hung a dim red ball in the eastern sky.
According to Columbus' son, Ferdinand,the natives were terrified at this sight and ". . . with great howling andlamentation came running from every direction to the ships laden withprovisions, praying to the Admiral to intercede with his god on theirbehalf." They promised that they would gladly cooperate with Columbus andhis men if only he would restore the moon back to its normal self. The greatexplorer told the natives that he would have to retire to confer privately withhis god. He then shut himself in his cabin for about fifty minutes.
"His god" was a sandglass that Columbus turned every half hour to time the various stages of the eclipse, based on thecalculations provided by Regiomontanus' almanac.
Just moments before the end of the total phase Columbus reappeared,announcing to the natives that his god had pardoned them and wouldnow allow the moon to gradually return. And at that moment, true toColumbus' word, the moon slowly began to reappear and as it emergedfrom the Earth'sshadow, the grateful natives hurried away. They then kept Columbus andhis menwell supplied and well fed until a relief caravel from Hispaniolafinallyarrived on June 29, 1504. Columbus and his men returned to Spain onNov. 7.
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha