Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Couple Finally Evicts Squatters from Home  (Read 4215 times)

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
Couple Finally Evicts Squatters from Home
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

We hear a lot about people who have lost their homes to the subprime mortgage crisis. But one property owner's attempt to help someone buy his house backfired.  It becomes a cautionary tale about financing options for people desperate to buy or sell a house.We first told you last month about the family in Nixa and how their efforts to remove a squatter from their home seemed to be going nowhere. Now there has been a major change in the situation.It all began in September when a family in Christian County tried to sell their home.  They found a buyer and sold the house as a contract for deed, meaning they would finance the buyer rather than going through a lender.  The homeowners thought they were helping the buyer out during a tough economic downturn.But it turned out to be a decision that would haunt them for months - with a bounced check and lots of excuses.In September, Roger Rekate allowed a man named Jeffrey Denton, Denton's girlfriend, and the couple's children to move into his home near Nixa. Yet Rekate is still paying the mortgage on the house.  "He seemed like an honest guy," Rekate says of Denton.Rekate says Denton wrote a check for $6,000, which bounced. Weeks, then months, passed and the excuses Denton made piled up.   "And we're to the point now, where we need to get them out and get the property sold," Rekate said.  He repeatedly asked Denton to move out of the house, with no luck. By early this year, Rekate was at the end of his rope and turned to the courts for help.  After several delays, the courts finally ordered Denton to pay $25,500 in back payments and fees to Rekate by March 11.  That day came and went with no payment. "We prayed with them. We've offered to move it to storage 3 to 4 months ago, and we had to follow the law to get the order, and that's what it came to today,"  Rekate says.Last week, the Christian County Sheriff's department served an eviction order on Denton.  Today, with a court order in hand, Rekate and his wife stepped into the house they hadn't been inside for months.The Rekates were not alone.  Several other people were there today to confront Denton, claiming they had been scammed by him over the years.  Dennis Jansen was president of a local tractor-pulling association, when he claims Denton wrote a bad check for hundreds of dollars to his organization in 2005.  "He kept avoiding me," says Jansen.Landscaper John Talley says Denton defaulted on a $550 job to remove stumps on his property.  "I probably called him like 200 times 200 times, been out here at least a dozen times, all I've heard is excuses." And Bob Hribar, whose daughter has been at Denton's side for the past two years, says Denton owes him $15,000 after selling a vehicle he co-signed for.  As the group gathers at the house, Hribar's daughters pulls up to the house with the man many have been looking for.  Denton is not happy to see the group, or news reporters on hand.  Denton told Rekate he would get the $25,500 check to him Monday afternoon.  But for Rekate, it's too little, too late.  "Just let us move our stuff out, Rogers - I'll have it all out today," Denton pleaded.
"No, no, we're helping you. It's over Jeff. You know the system better than anybody, and I pray you understand where we're at," said Rekate. "We made every payment for seven months. You understand? That's a lot buddy. Let's get moving!" A Christian County Sheriff's deputy was on hand Monday to make sure Denton and his girlfriend get off the property.  "You've got to leave.  I posted notice last week," the deputy tells them.  When asked about the bad checks and the agreement on the house, Denton tells reporters, "No comment to you." Denton and his girlfriend eventually left the house, but said they plan to come back for their belongings.  Rekate and his friends moved those possessions to the street.  For Rekate and his wife, the confrontation brings a six month ordeal to a close."With the mortgage, the home equity, they attorney fees, and that just added up." Yet when Denton comes back later with a moving truck, he claims it is him to remains the victim in this situation.  "You happy?  I'm out of a home."  When asked where they planned to go from here, Denton and his girlfriend didn't give an answer.  As for the Rekates, they plan to clean the house, get it inspected, and relist it on the market.  They hope to get it sold quickly since they've been paying two mortgages. They say there's a lesson in this. Do a background check on any buyer, and leave the financial details to the banks and lenders.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline murfyzlaw

• My beautiful grandsons
    • View Profile
Re: Couple Finally Evicts Squatters from Home
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »
What a nightmare!  I used to be a landlord in Kansas City, owned 2 duplexes, and even though we did background and credit checks, we got stuck with non paying tenants for months while waiting for the court system.  That is why I will never be a landlord again.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Remember that no matter how bad things are in your life, there are others dealing with much worse obstacles, and be thankful for what you have.

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:02:41 PM »
 We did a Contract for Deed on a house and property and all parties met with an attorney who helped set up and legalize the paperwork and terms.
Mom was the recipient of the down payment and monthly payments, and had a few months of them being very late, but they never got more than a few weeks behind, plus they made numerous upgrades inside.  A few years down the road they were able to scrape up enough money to pay it off early. 
I guess Mom was pretty lucky, but since the whole thing was my idea, I am extremely grateful for the way it turned out.
The experiences we had with outright rental property was 50/50.

This squaters thing reminds me of what MRSYUKONJACK and her husband went through.  Scarey. 
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:45:16 AM »
The Christian county prosecutor filed charges late today, against a man who squatted in a family's home for months.

40-year-old Jeff Denton has been charged with stealing and passing a bad check, both felonies.

You may remember a Christian county family sold their house contract for deed to Denton.

That meant Denton would pay them monthly payments, rather than a lender.

Yet the family says Denton’s check bounced, and he refused to move out for more than six months.

Denton was finally removed from the home, when a court order was issued last month.

The prosecutor says the stealing charge stems from the fact that Denton stayed in that house for so long without paying.

The bad check charge stems from the 67-hundred dollar check that bounced back in October.

Denton was booked into the Christian county jail today, and could face up to 14 years in jail if convicted.

Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »
Good.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...